Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 9:10:06 AM   
sanchia

Multiple post?

< Message edited by sanchia -- 4/6/2012 9:15:20 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 691
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 9:10:53 AM   
sanchia

Multiple post..

< Message edited by sanchia -- 4/6/2012 9:15:36 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 692
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 9:13:09 AM   
sanchia

On the Millar theme and having watched that awful film last night I decided to give this another read. I have never read a more morally bankrupt piece of crap in my life. Once again rape is continuously brought out as something the main character enjoys (A list actresses, and it is a thing of surprise that the main character did not rape a policewoman when massacring a police station full of police). Even as an anti hero this is beyond the pale.

Brubaker with Sleeper achieves much the same but with defter and more confident brush strokes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Is Incorruptible any good?

Another comic which is very good to start with (the first six or seven issues) but now has fallen into a meandering plot which is not really going anywhere.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 4/6/2012 9:18:53 AM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 693
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 6:54:00 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! I've been so busy in the Prometheus threads i've been away from my beloved Shack for a while! Anyway, i've finished a couple of comics in the last few days, i'll list them below;

CIVIL WAR #1-7; I really enjoyed the opening to Civil War! McNiven's artwork as usual is excellent, and Mark Millar is..well is Mark Millar! Although in this comic he wasn't that offensive as other's i've read. I thought it was well written and Kudos to him for making Iron Man a fascist twat and Captain America the rebel! I never would have seen that coming but I must admit it was really cool! After reading this, I am now ready to read the Civil War stories - of which there are so many so the task is quite daunting! The registration act storyline explain's why Iron Man get's his ass kicked by Thor in J.Michael Startczynski's excellent Thor Vol.1! So overall, a very exciting comic, and one I would love to come back to in the future.
CIVIL WAR *****5/5

FALLEN SON: THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN AMERICA; is another enjoyable comic, dealing in 6 parts on how each superhero deals in his own way with the death of Captain America. Their are a host of writers and artists in this collection, and I liked it very much. Poignant at times too, esp. Spidey who has a proper breakdown after the Captain's death. It was a little cheesy towards the end though, but hey - its Captain America afterall!
FALLEN SON **** 4/5

THE PUNISHER: BARRACUDA; Boy oh boy! I have to say that the Punisher Max series, esp the stories by Garth Ennis - are a mother-freakin' joy to read! It's very explicit at times, and does not let up on the swearing, blood and sex! But on top of all that, I love the script by Ennis, who is one of my favourite writers! This story in particular has The Punisher going down to Miami to investigate a corrupt corporate Wall Street scum, Dynaco International. But Castle doesn't go fully prepared for what is about to greet him there - a seven foot tall, three hundred pound psycho called Barracuda! This is one of the craziest, psychotic (and funny) baddies I have seen in comics! He's totally bonker's and has allegiances to one. Castle gets his ass kicked all over the everglades - but one thing Barracuda doesn't realise is that Frank Castle is an even bigger psycho than he is! I really enjoyed this comic - and the artwork by Goran Parlov is something else entirely! I loved it and he's a name I will be looking out for in the future!
THE PUNISHER: BARRACUDA ***** 5/5

BETELGEUSE VOL.3 & 4; What can I say about this beautiful sci-fi epic which I haven't already said? It just keeps getting better with each volume! In the closing chapter's of the Betelgeuse storyline, we finally get to understand what the mysterious Mantis is, and how it came to be on Aldebaran and Betelgeuse. Our heroine Kim Keller also makes an astonishing discovery which changes her world - I won't give it away but lets just say this dicovery is of an 'extra-terrestrial' nature! I really loved this series by Leo, and i'm quite saddened this story has come to an end. You follow Kim Keller and her friends from the start, and see them mature and become the persons they are. It is such a beautiful, awesome journey full of excitement, danger and mystery at every turn. The story does become slow in places, and there are a lot of dialogue as well, but this is not a superhero comic - it is mature, thoughtful science fiction saga. The story does carry on though, the author has started work on another series which ties with this directly called 'Antares'. I for one will definitely seek it out!

BETLEGEUSE VOL.3 ***** 5/5
BETELGEUSE VOL.4 ***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 4/6/2012 7:11:40 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 694
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 7:14:37 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

THE PUNISHER: BARRACUDA; Boy oh boy! I have to say that the Punisher Max series, esp the stories by Garth Ennis - are a mother-freakin' joy to read! It's very explicit at times, and does not let up on the swearing, blood and sex! But on top of all that, I love the script by Ennis, who is one of my favourite writers! This story in particular has The Punisher going down to Miami to investigate a corrupt corporate Wall Street scum, Dynaco International. But Castle doesn't go fully prepared for what is about to greet him there - a seven foot tall, three hundred pound psycho called Barracuda! This is one of the craziest, psychotic (and funny) baddies I have seen in comics! He's totally bonker's and has allegiances to one. Castle gets his ass kicked all over the everglades - but one thing Barracuda doesn't realise is that Frank Castle is an even bigger psycho than he is! I really enjoyed this comic - and the artwork by Goran Parlov is something else entirely! I loved it and he's a name I will be looking out for in the future!
THE PUNISHER: BARRACUDA ***** 5/5

Ennis' Punisher Max was a brilliant read. I don't think there was one arc which did not work really well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 695
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 7:21:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I agree! I've not read the earlier volumes by Ennis though, although I have rectified that now by ordering The Punisher: Born and The Punisher Vol.1: In The Begining via Amazon! (but going on the later volumes) absolutely brilliant stuff by Ennis!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 696
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 7:34:16 PM   
petecriss8000

He did about 40 issues before he started the MAX series as well which are a little harder to find - unless like myself you manage to find the super rare all-in-one edition in your LCS for less than cover price

Post #: 697
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 7:42:14 PM   
directorscut

When people say they don't take comic books seriously as a medium they are refering specifically to this. This exact comic. Even if they were speaking in the '40s they were still talking specifically about this comic.

The "nudist society" scene was probably the most embarrassing scene I've ever read in comics, and the writer/artist should be ashamed of putting one of comic's most popular female heroes for young girls in such a leering, gratuitous scene.

Aside from that the art is unappealing and the story isn't much cop.

This Batman: Confidential series has ben pretty rubbish thus far.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 698
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/6/2012 7:43:42 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

He did about 40 issues before he started the MAX series as well which are a little harder to find - unless like myself you manage to find the super rare all-in-one edition in your LCS for less than cover price

Wow! I envy you dude!

Post #: 699
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/6/2012 12:32:46 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

I have all the originals

Not sure if you're aware but just in case: Ennis' initial Punisher (or Punisher Knights) run with Steve Dillion is set in the Marvel U. I think the first volume is 12 issues and the next is 37 issues.

Then it's PunisherMAX (beginning with the 4-issue miniseries Born) which is a separate entitity; the two series aren't actually related in terms of continuity!

Ah Marvel. You're not confusing at all.

Post #: 700
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/6/2012 7:09:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Just finished Old Man Logan today. I thought it was really good, up there with the best of Millar's work and the art by McNiven is sumptuous. One question though, why does Millar hate the Hulk so? In both Ultimates 1 and this he really does a number on Banner/Hulk.

Still, great story and I didn't really pick up on any pop culture references which was nice.

I'm gonna start on Planet Hulk next. I've already read World War Hulk so I'm looking forward to seeing the backstory to that.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 701
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/6/2012 9:28:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Just finished Old Man Logan today. I thought it was really good, up there with the best of Millar's work and the art by McNiven is sumptuous. One question though, why does Millar hate the Hulk so? In both Ultimates 1 and this he really does a number on Banner/Hulk.

Still, great story and I didn't really pick up on any pop culture references which was nice.

I'm gonna start on Planet Hulk next. I've already read World War Hulk so I'm looking forward to seeing the backstory to that.

Planet Hulk is a freakin' awesome comic! I'm surprised you read the sequel to it before reading the original (Planet Hulk)!

No matter, if you liked WWH, you are going to love Planet Hulk!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 7/6/2012 6:57:24 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 702
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/6/2012 2:24:14 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm just into the last few pages of reading ORBITAL Volume 2; the reason why its taken me a while to finish (even though its very short), is because of the fantastic artwork by Serge Pelle! It is so beautiful and very evocative of Moebius' art! I just sit there gawking at the panels!

Anyway, i've just picked up THE OTHER SIDE; which is a brilliant comic written by Jason Aaron,, and illustrated by Cameron Stewart, about the Vietnam war. It follows two characters from both side of the conflict. Theres a lot of good words out there about the comic, and i'm looking forward to the read.

Post #: 703
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/6/2012 2:46:17 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Planet Hulk is a freakin' awesome comic! I'm surprised you read the sequel to it before reading the original (Planet Hulk)!

I was able to get hold of WW Hulk months ago from the local library whereas I've only just received Planet Hulk.

Reading it has been put on the backburner for the time being though, I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Marvel 1602 at the moment (it's dead in work so fuck em, they can pay me to read ) and it's brilliant. As expected from a wordsmith of Gaiman's stature the story is fantastic (I'm just over half way at the mo) and the art by Andy Kubert is great. I'm absolutely loving the 17th century setting and look. I'll post a few more words about it when I'm done.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 704
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/6/2012 4:10:02 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was able to get hold of WW Hulk months ago from the local library whereas I've only just received Planet Hulk.

Reading it has been put on the backburner for the time being though, I'm reading Neil Gaiman's Marvel 1602 at the moment (it's dead in work so fuck em, they can pay me to read ) and it's brilliant. As expected from a wordsmith of Gaiman's stature the story is fantastic (I'm just over half way at the mo) and the art by Andy Kubert is great. I'm absolutely loving the 17th century setting and look. I'll post a few more words about it when I'm done.

Wow! Sound's interesting! I've not read it yet so must add it to my reading list! Gaiman to me is a literary god - no one can come close to pulling off anything even remotely close to his Sandman series! There's a whole load of other works by him which i've yet to read. I must look into Marvel 1602 more!

Post #: 705
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 1:37:28 AM   
furrybastard

Gaiman pretty much did 1602 and Eternals as work-for-hire for Marvel in exchange for them going after the Marvelman rights. I thought Eternals was pretty crap but 1602 was interesting enough. Unfortunately it was the kind of concept that few writers (particularly those working for Marvel and DC) were capable of following through on and Gaiman didn't seem particularly interested in going back to doing exploitative work-for-hire.

Post #: 706
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 10:13:07 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Just caught up on my new 52s at the weekend thought Justice League 7 & especially 8 were poor filler issues I mean I for one would have loved to see the Martian Manhunter story.
Also the back up story Shazam far & away outshone the main stories with an interesting take on Billy Batson & the rest of the Marvel family with some great artwork by Gary Frank.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 7/6/2012 10:15:45 AM >

Post #: 707
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 10:34:04 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Gaiman pretty much did 1602 and Eternals as work-for-hire for Marvel in exchange for them going after the Marvelman rights. I thought Eternals was pretty crap but 1602 was interesting enough. Unfortunately it was the kind of concept that few writers (particularly those working for Marvel and DC) were capable of following through on and Gaiman didn't seem particularly interested in going back to doing exploitative work-for-hire.

Yeah it's a shame Gaiman had no interest in writing the sequels as he'd built an interesting Universe in 1602. Loved the Witchbreed being led by Carlos Javier and being hunted by the church and state. The typical Gaiman trope of mixing real life events in his fiction was ingenious with the use of Roanoke and Virginia Dare as well. It added some real depth to the story.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent now and started reading Frank Miller's Daredevil run (Daredevil Visionaries Vol 1). At the moment I'm still on the issues where he's mainly on pencilling duties but the change in tone as I read through them is pretty striking. I think the next issue is the one where Miller takes over the writing reins so it'll be interesting to see where it goes from there.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 708
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 11:50:11 AM   
sanchia

What a treat to return to this masterpiece.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 709
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 11:53:39 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Moved to 'What comic have you bought?' thread.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 7/6/2012 6:58:23 PM >

Post #: 710
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/6/2012 12:14:23 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading PUNISHER MAX: BORN which I had delivered today along with PUNISHER VOL 1: IN THE BEGINING (see 'Last comic you bought' thread).

I've also got RUNAWAY'S: TEENAGE WASTELAND lined up aswell as JACK OF FABLES: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF JACK AND JACK. I've started reading a bit of the latter and I have to say it is absolutely hilarious!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 7/6/2012 7:05:14 PM >

Post #: 711
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/6/2012 11:21:40 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I've finished reading RUNAWAYS VOL.2: TEENAGE WASTELAND, and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Much more than I expected I would! Its a really cool story, with a lott of twists and turn's, and very funny aswell!

Due to being unfamiliar with this world, i'd love to know from fellow forumites as to how long this series carries on for? I know there's a following volume after this, but does the story wrap up? Or are more stories planned?

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Post #: 712
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/6/2012 12:53:12 PM   
Zaphod121

There's 11 volumes of Runaways, I believe the title was canceled/put on hold after that.

I just finished... SPOILERS

Really enjoyed this, lots of crazy shit going on. For being such a colour and lighthearted comic the gore is insane sometimes, the two page spread where the head of the coalition of planets gets his head ripped off was awesome. But what's this, Eve got fat, and presumably has a baby somewhere? Can't wait to get VOL. 15

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 713
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/6/2012 3:26:17 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Man I really need to curb my comic book appetite, because the way i'm heading my saving's account will dry up soon!

I've just fallen head over fucking heels in love with Garth Ennis' Punisher Max series, having read BORN and IN THE BEGINING; i've just gone and ordered VOLUME 2,3, 4, and 5 from Amazon a while ago - it is some of the most addictive, brilliant, no holds bar comic series of recent years.

Garth Ennis is a god!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/6/2012 9:08:43 AM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 714
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/6/2012 11:12:27 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I've finished reading the following comics;

1. PUNISHER: BORN
2. PUNISHER VOL 1; IN THE BEGINING
3. RUNAWAYS VOL 2; TEENAGE WASTELAND
4. THE OTHER SIDE
5. ORBITAL VOL 1
6. ORBITAL VOL 2

I'll start with the first two first.

The Punisher Born; Garth Ennis creates a 4 issue mini-series about Frank Castle's 3rd tour of Vietnam, before he became The Punisher. It is an awesome comic, with excellent arrtwork by Darick Robertson. We see Castle leading a platoon of soldier's, and see the story from the point of view from a young grunt named Stevie Goodwin. We get an insight into the mindset of Castle, he will do what he feel's is best without any question. Even if it mean's disobeying his superiors. The young soldier's look up to him, and any that stray from the path as is demonstrated in an shocking moment in the comic, is punished severely! But bit by bit Castle starts losing himself to thought's inside his head. Is he insane? Or does the voice he hears very real? We soon find out in the closing moments when their base is attacked by swathe after swathe of the enemies. Facing imminent death, Castle answer's yes and inevitably sell's his soul to Death (or the Devil) in order to become The Punisher. But at what price? The last panel show's us, and it is shocking. We get to see the real origin's of The Punisher via this excellent comic by Ennis, which set's up brilliantly his awesome run on the Punisher Max series! It is a must read for all comic fan's, or Punisher fan's. THE PUNISHER BORN ***** 5/5

IN THE BEGINING: My god! This comic had me on the edge of my seat from the offset! it is absolutely gripping from start to finish. I love Marvel's Max series, it is unrelenting, full of sex, violence and rock and roll! This first volume is an absolute must read for comic fan's. The artwork by Lewis Larosa is brilliant. The story revolves around Frank's old associate, Microchip - who is part of a black-ops team trying to bring him down. But they re not alone, on his tail are also the Mafia, lead by snappy dressed, cool talking mobster Nicky Cavella, and his partners' the psychotic Pittsy, and the cross eyed psycho Ink! I love Ennis' writing, its full of black humour and the swearing is relentless! Its almost real life and his character's , especially the baddies are well fleshed out.

The Punisher in this comic has a Eastwood squint throughout, and even look's like him! Its visceral, and heart pounding stuff to see how the Punisher manages to get one better on his enemies. And this comic is a fucking gem! I've loved it so much i've ordered Volumes 2, 3, 4 and 5! Absolutely awesome stuff! PUNISHER VOL 1: IN THE BEGINING ***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/6/2012 11:21:00 AM >

Post #: 715
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/6/2012 12:20:13 PM   
Chojin

quote:

I'll start with the first two first.

The Punisher Born; Garth Ennis creates a 4 issue mini-series about Frank Castle's 3rd tour of Vietnam, before he became The Punisher. It is an awesome comic, with excellent arrtwork by Darick Robertson. We see Castle leading a platoon of soldier's, and see the story from the point of view from a young grunt named Stevie Goodwin. We get an insight into the mindset of Castle, he will do what he feel's is best without any question. Even if it mean's disobeying his superiors. The young soldier's look up to him, and any that stray from the path as is demonstrated in an shocking moment in the comic, is punished severely! But bit by bit Castle starts losing himself to thought's inside his head. Is he insane? Or does the voice he hears very real? We soon find out in the closing moments when their base is attacked by swathe after swathe of the enemies. Facing imminent death, Castle answer's yes and inevitably sell's his soul to Death (or the Devil) in order to become The Punisher. But at what price? The last panel show's us, and it is shocking. We get to see the real origin's of The Punisher via this excellent comic by Ennis, which set's up brilliantly his awesome run on the Punisher Max series! It is a must read for all comic fan's, or Punisher fan's. THE PUNISHER BORN ***** 5/5

IN THE BEGINING: My god! This comic had me on the edge of my seat from the offset! it is absolutely gripping from start to finish. I love Marvel's Max series, it is unrelenting, full of sex, violence and rock and roll! This first volume is an absolute must read for comic fan's. The artwork by Lewis Larosa is brilliant. The story revolves around Frank's old associate, Microchip - who is part of a black-ops team trying to bring him down. But they re not alone, on his tail are also the Mafia, lead by snappy dressed, cool talking mobster Nicky Cavella, and his partners' the psychotic Pittsy, and the cross eyed psycho Ink! I love Ennis' writing, its full of black humour and the swearing is relentless! Its almost real life and his character's , especially the baddies are well fleshed out.

The Punisher in this comic has a Eastwood squint throughout, and even look's like him! Its visceral, and heart pounding stuff to see how the Punisher manages to get one better on his enemies. And this comic is a fucking gem! I've loved it so much i've ordered Volumes 2, 3, 4 and 5! Absolutely awesome stuff! PUNISHER VOL 1: IN THE BEGINING ***** 5/5

actually sounds brilliant, I should give this a go! too many great comics, not enough time

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 716
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/6/2012 1:37:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

actually sounds brilliant, I should give this a go! too many great comics, not enough time

I can sympathsise with you in there not being enough time

But honestly, if you do get the time and the money, make sure you check these gem's out! You will not regret it! It is so addictive - once you start reading you cannnot stop! After Preacher, this is the best stuff Ennis has done in my opinion.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/6/2012 1:43:47 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 717
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/6/2012 4:29:32 PM   
Aldous

quote:

Each volume contains two issues or epsiodes.

Vol 1: The Catastrophe (inc. The Blonde)
Vol 2. The Group (inc. The Photo)
Vol 3. The Creature (inc. The Betelgeuse Planet Episode 1)

And the Betelgeuse worlds saga;
Vol. 1. The Suurvivors (inc. The Expedition)
The last two epsiodes of the Betelgeuse saga are seperate for some odd reason. They comprise of
1) The Caves
2) The Other - which concludes the Betelgeuse story.

The reason why I love these books is because of the human interractions against a sci-fi setting. The artwork by Leo is also another huge draw; it is visually striking. His creations of the alien flora and fauna is simply astonishing! The story gets even more intrigueing as each volume goes on.

I've ordered the last two episodes in the series (The Caves and The Other). The story is so addictive, immersive that once you start reading it, you cannot wait to find out what happens next!

My only complaint with the series, or more righlty the publishers of the english version, is that they have censored some of the artwork, which consists of nudity. So every now and then you'll see an odd looking bra covering some of the character's prized assets! I think that was a bad decision. These books are rated 15 already, so why this need to cover up?

Other than that, the Alderbaran and Betelgeause series are a must read for all comic book fan's and in particular, fan's of sci-fi comics. It is a gem and I cannot wait to finish reading the remaining chapters!

Aldebaran Vol 1. The Creature ***** 5/5
Aldebaran Vol 2. The Group *****5/5
Betelgeuse Vol 1. The Survivors ***** 5/5

Hi, I work part-time for Cinebook, helping out with marketing and proof-reading, and thought I'd respond to some of your comments. Firstly, thank you very much for the review! We're always interested to hear people's opinions and I'm glad you like the series.

Regarding the number of chapters per volume, we used to do two chapters in each book as we felt this was better value, but our customers indicated that they preferred spending 6 for one chapter (and getting it sooner) than spending 10 for two. So we changed.

Leo's series, The World's of Aldebaran, is ongoing and new volumes are still coming out in French (they're currently reading The Survivors). We've started publishing the cycle after Betelgeuse and you can look forward to seeing all of the books in English. The current cycle in English, and the one after Betelgeuse, is Antares. So far, we only have the first two volumes.

Many people comment on the censorship and I personally agree that it's not ideal. However, we want the books to be available to the widest possible audience and to achieve that we have to make some changes (always with the agreement of the creators and/or rights-holders). We are currently distributed around the world, including many countries (like America, Saudi Arabia, India, Indonesia...) where nudity is not accepted (and certainly not as much as in France or Belgium). We always try to minimise the changes we make to preserve the story and intent. In Leo's series, particularly the earlier volumes, the changes were a little clumsy, but I like to think we're continually improving.

The age rating on the book is not equivalent to a rating on a movie or game - it's just a suggested reading age. We make a guess at these ages based on the age we feel would be comfortable with the language and content, but really it's up to the individual to choose whether they want to read it. In the case of The World's of Aldebaran, the 15 age recommendation is because we feel that the majority of kids younger than that would get bored reading it or not understand it. It has nothing to do with nudity or sex.

Thanks very much for reading and sharing your thoughts! Everybody at Cinebook is looking forward to keeping you entertained for a long time!

Post #: 718
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/6/2012 5:50:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aldous

quote:

Each volume contains two issues or epsiodes.

Vol 1: The Catastrophe (inc. The Blonde)
Vol 2. The Group (inc. The Photo)
Vol 3. The Creature (inc. The Betelgeuse Planet Episode 1)

And the Betelgeuse worlds saga;
Vol. 1. The Suurvivors (inc. The Expedition)
The last two epsiodes of the Betelgeuse saga are seperate for some odd reason. They comprise of
1) The Caves
2) The Other - which concludes the Betelgeuse story.

The reason why I love these books is because of the human interractions against a sci-fi setting. The artwork by Leo is also another huge draw; it is visually striking. His creations of the alien flora and fauna is simply astonishing! The story gets even more intrigueing as each volume goes on.

I've ordered the last two episodes in the series (The Caves and The Other). The story is so addictive, immersive that once you start reading it, you cannot wait to find out what happens next!

My only complaint with the series, or more righlty the publishers of the english version, is that they have censored some of the artwork, which consists of nudity. So every now and then you'll see an odd looking bra covering some of the character's prized assets! I think that was a bad decision. These books are rated 15 already, so why this need to cover up?

Other than that, the Alderbaran and Betelgeause series are a must read for all comic book fan's and in particular, fan's of sci-fi comics. It is a gem and I cannot wait to finish reading the remaining chapters!

Aldebaran Vol 1. The Creature ***** 5/5
Aldebaran Vol 2. The Group *****5/5
Betelgeuse Vol 1. The Survivors ***** 5/5

Hi, I work part-time for Cinebook, helping out with marketing and proof-reading, and thought I'd respond to some of your comments. Firstly, thank you very much for the review! We're always interested to hear people's opinions and I'm glad you like the series.

Regarding the number of chapters per volume, we used to do two chapters in each book as we felt this was better value, but our customers indicated that they preferred spending 6 for one chapter (and getting it sooner) than spending 10 for two. So we changed.

Leo's series, The World's of Aldebaran, is ongoing and new volumes are still coming out in French (they're currently reading The Survivors). We've started publishing the cycle after Betelgeuse and you can look forward to seeing all of the books in English. The current cycle in English, and the one after Betelgeuse, is Antares. So far, we only have the first two volumes.

Many people comment on the censorship and I personally agree that it's not ideal. However, we want the books to be available to the widest possible audience and to achieve that we have to make some changes (always with the agreement of the creators and/or rights-holders). We are currently distributed around the world, including many countries (like America, Saudi Arabia, India, Indonesia...) where nudity is not accepted (and certainly not as much as in France or Belgium). We always try to minimise the changes we make to preserve the story and intent. In Leo's series, particularly the earlier volumes, the changes were a little clumsy, but I like to think we're continually improving.

The age rating on the book is not equivalent to a rating on a movie or game - it's just a suggested reading age. We make a guess at these ages based on the age we feel would be comfortable with the language and content, but really it's up to the individual to choose whether they want to read it. In the case of The World's of Aldebaran, the 15 age recommendation is because we feel that the majority of kids younger than that would get bored reading it or not understand it. It has nothing to do with nudity or sex.

Thanks very much for reading and sharing your thoughts! Everybody at Cinebook is looking forward to keeping you entertained for a long time!

Hi Aldous,

Not a problem my friend! These book's are absolutely beautiful, and Cinebook deserve all the credit for publishing these gem's! I've alway's been looking out for science fiction/ European comic's, but have found it hard to come by much - until I came across Leo's magnificent Aldebaran series. I've also purchased another title from Cinebook (Orbital) thank's to the recommendation of a fellow forum member, and enjoyed that title very much too.

Regarding the censorship, I did look into it online and much of the reason's put forth (for censoring) are pretty much on the same pages of what you have stated. And in that context it is understandable.

I defintely look forward to more Cinebook titles in the future. I've read Leo has started work on 'Antares' and as you have mentioned, published the first two episodes, I very much look forward to reading that too!

Anyhow, thanks for responding to my post and keep up the good work!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/6/2012 6:04:48 PM >

(in reply to Aldous)
Post #: 719
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/6/2012 1:45:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Have a couple more comic's lined up to read;

1) The Keep (F. Paul Wilson)
2) Batman Versus Bane (Chuck Dixon)
3) Batman: Private Casebook (Paul Dini)
4) The Invincible Ironman: Stark Resiliant (Matt Fraction)
5) Wolverine/Captain America (R.A Jones)

Very much looking forward to getting started!

Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI