Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 4:05:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I have to say that i'm having a ball reading Civil War! Really enjoyable stuff! But yet again Millar has to ruin precedings with his stupid pop culture/ celebrity references! (This time its Paris fucking Hilton and Linsay fucking Lohan!) But its much better than previous comics (Ultimates).

But other than this one gripe, its very enjoyable stuff. Still got a chapter left and then i'll forward my overall views.

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America was another cool comic.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/5/2012 4:07:34 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 661
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 4:35:08 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Well agreed the last 1 part filler before the crossovers was a bit shite but I quite liked the fact it acknowleged the existence of other characters from the DC Universe unlike the other Batman titles.
Talking of the crossover wont be getting any others than my 4 regular bat titles been down that road before (even though Nightwing looks integral to it all).

It wasn't so much that it was the fact they made Batman a useless fool and turned all the existing villians into idiots. I did like at first that it acknowledged the larger DC universe but it got silly when every issue had Batman calling on a member of the Justice League for help (especially when Wonder Woman refuses to help him because it's his mess and he should clear it up, completely out of character for her). The reveal of the White Rabbit is a joke in itself. So blatantly obvious.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 662
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 5:19:38 PM   
Nexus Wookie

HELP!

Do any of my fellow comic shacker's know what the reading order is for CIVIL WAR? I've just finished reading the first book (CIVIL WAR #1-7); Cap America has just handed himself in, and that smug bastard Tony Stark is talking about a new superhero order (if I had to choose between the two sides - i'd go with the 'rebel' superhero's any day of the week!).

Its a little confusing because theres a lot of CIVIL WAR titles out there! Any help will be much appreciated!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 663
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 5:38:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

HELP!

Do any of my fellow comic shacker's know what the reading order is for CIVIL WAR? I've just finished reading the first book (CIVIL WAR #1-7); Cap America has just handed himself in, and that smug bastard Tony Stark is talking about a new superhero order (if I had to choose between the two sides - i'd go with the 'rebel' superhero's any day of the week!).

Its a little confusing because theres a lot of CIVIL WAR titles out there! Any help will be much appreciated!

Good god no. Supporting Team Captain America, unthinkable .

Check this out for the reading order

http://www.freakcomics.com/marvel-comics-civil-war-reading-order/

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 664
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 5:45:05 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

HELP!

Ha ha! I hate that smug twat Tony, so it was down to the Cap really! Besides, he has two of my favourite Marvel hero's on his team: Daredevil and The Punisher! So it wasn't that hard to choose really! I always tend to root for the underdogs!

By the way, thanks for the link!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/5/2012 5:46:35 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 665
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 5:48:21 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

HELP!

Granted, I'm not really a Marvel man but I did find it odd that Captain America the US's Poster Boy took up the side of the Anti-Registration whilst bad boy Stark was the headman for Pro-Registration. Still, I though Civil War was a great read though!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 666
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 5:55:23 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

quote:

HELP!

Granted, I'm not really a Marvel man but I did find it odd that Captain America the US's Poster Boy took up the side of the Anti-Registration whilst bad boy Stark was the headman for Pro-Registration. Still, I though Civil War was a great read though!

Yeah, but he's a po faced dickwad so I always expect him to do the thing that would annoy me the most . The Secret Avengers had way more characters I liked on their roster (and they didn't have a murderous Thor clone on their side) so I should have found myself leaning towards Team Rogers but I like Iron Man and dislike the Cap so I ended up favouring Team Stark.

I never had much of an opinion on the registration front personally. There are pros and cons on both sides but yeah it was a great read.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 667
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 6:48:01 PM   
sanchia

The main problem I had with Civil War was the same problem I have with most of Millar's work. There is a kernel of a truly great idea but the reality of his writing drags it down.

Looking at his recent work:
Kick Ass II was truly dire being truly vapid and trying to replace a decent plot with just one scene of violence followed by another (a common staple of Millar).
Nemesis pretty much followed the same lines whereby he trys to use shock and violence over plotting (SPOILER: for example where he used the sons sperm to impregnated the sister).
Supercrooks, words fail me how bad this is.
The Secret Service, actually from the first two issues there may be something worthwhile but I am certain it will devolve into one scene of violence following another in the near future.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 668
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 7:46:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The main problem I had with Civil War was the same problem I have with most of Millar's work. There is a kernel of a truly great idea but the reality of his writing drags it down.

Looking at his recent work:
Kick Ass II was truly dire being truly vapid and trying to replace a decent plot with just one scene of violence followed by another (a common staple of Millar).
Nemesis pretty much followed the same lines whereby he trys to use shock and violence over plotting (SPOILER: for example where he used the sons sperm to impregnated the sister).
Supercrooks, words fail me how bad this is.
The Secret Service, actually from the first two issues there may be something worthwhile but I am certain it will devolve into one scene of violence following another in the near future.

I agree. He has a cool premise with a story, but then he will proceed to fuck it all up with a dumb line, or lack of balls. And his obsession with pop culture references is getting boring now!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 669
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 8:01:04 PM   
Olaf

Mark Millar is essentially a vastly inferior version of Grant Morrison. The difference is that one has cool ideas, whereas the other has genuinely great ideas.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 670
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 8:26:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Mark Millar is essentially a vastly inferior version of Grant Morrison. The difference is that one has cool ideas, whereas the other has genuinely great ideas.

I agree. But I have to say, that over the years having read both Millar and Morrsion's works, I tend to find Millar more enjoyable. I loved his earlier works, such as Red Son, and I thought Old Man Logan was brilliant. Whereas most of Morrison's work seems to leave me with a headache!

But there's no hiding the fact that he does come up with some good idea's, no matter how mindboggling!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 671
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/5/2012 10:02:18 PM   
sanchia

In some cases he messes up other peoples idea such as the brilliant Authority which after Millar took over turned into turgid rubbish although this was also the time when Quitely was doing his mortgage payment work and his artwork was truly hideous which also detracted (all the males had the same body and massive chins, all the women exactly the same body and almost identical faces which considering the quality artwork he puts in when he wants to shows how little he cared for the project).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 672
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 12:49:27 AM   
furrybastard

American Jesus is pretty good, worth checking out as one of Millar's better works. Nice artwork from The Unwritten/Lucifer's Peter Gross. I also quite liked his Marvel 1985 short series.

He's a high-concept writer: good ideas, mostly badly executed. Often ending in a big fight for no reason. Kick-Ass 2 was probably the worst thing he's ever written and featured one of the most offensive scenes I've ever come across in a comic (and I mean offensive narratively, morally, intellectually and every other possible means).

Of his new books, The Secret Service is so far suspiciously ok.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 673
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 10:36:31 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

American Jesus is pretty good, worth checking out as one of Millar's better works. Nice artwork from The Unwritten/Lucifer's Peter Gross. I also quite liked his Marvel 1985 short series.

He's a high-concept writer: good ideas, mostly badly executed. Often ending in a big fight for no reason. Kick-Ass 2 was probably the worst thing he's ever written and featured one of the most offensive scenes I've ever come across in a comic (and I mean offensive narratively, morally, intellectually and every other possible means).

I know precisely which scene you mean (sadly a theme he has returned to many, many times in his work).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 674
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 11:05:45 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Of Millar's work I've read I enjoyed Civil War, Wolverine Omnibus and Red Son. I haven't read Old Man Logan yet but it's on my to read list. I thought Ultimates Vol 1 was one of the worst things I've ever read though, a truly dire mish mash of pop culture references, horrific character assassinations and rubbish plot. To be honest I struggle with the Ultimate imprint anyway but Ultimates Vol 1 would be fucking awful no matter which part of the Marvel Multiverse it took place in.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 675
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 11:21:57 AM   
sanchia

Old Man Logan is a decent read. Red Son I understand was something he spent ten years writing.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 676
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 1:08:11 PM   
energoncube

quote:

Old Man Logan is a decent read. Red Son I understand was something he spent ten years writing.

Grant Morrison has suggested in interviews that he may have "helped" Millar along with some of his earlier work, hence the reason it probably stands up better!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 677
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 1:44:13 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

quote:

HELP!

Personally I thought it was very natural for Cap to rebel against anything that would be seen to threaten someone's freedom - after all, that's pretty much what he stood for.  As for Stark, I reacll a scene in a Iron Man comic that predated Civil War where he was in Washington giving evidence.  He paused in front of the Lincoln Memorial long enough to make some quote along the lines of Lincoln abolished slavery knowing that it would turn brother against brother, but that the country would emerge stronger, and worrying that a similar course of action may be necessary now.

As for Millar, I think you've summed him up in a nut-shell.  He can come up with a great central idea to pitch, but take away the fights and the pop culture references, and the scripts are as hollow as a Lindt bunny.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 678
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 3:54:36 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Personally I thought it was very natural for Cap to rebel against anything that would be seen to threaten someone's freedom - after all, that's pretty much what he stood for. As for Stark, I reaclla scene in a Iron Man comic that predated Civil War where he was in Washington giving evidence.He paused in front of the Lincoln Memorial long enough to make some quote along the lines of Lincoln abolished slavery knowing that it would turn brother against brother, but that the country would emerge stronger, and worrying that a similar course of action may be necessary now.

As for Millar, I think you've summed him up in a nut-shell. He can come up with a great central idea to pitch, but take away the fights and the pop culture references, and the scripts are as hollow as a Lindt bunny.

I'd absolutely agree with that. For me that's one of Millar's better decisions in the story.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 679
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 4:03:36 PM   
directorscut

Yeah I alway thought IRON Man was a pinko commie. Wouldn't surprise me if he was a spy from behind the CURTAIN.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 680
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/5/2012 6:16:33 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: energoncube

quote:

Grant Morrison has suggested in interviews that he may have "helped" Millar along with some of his earlier work, hence the reason it probably stands up better!

Indeed. There's plenty in Red Son that has a vaguely Morrison touch to it.

Ultimately it's a little unfair I suppose, as Millar's name is still on top. Plenty of writers/artists have their work read on, commented on and critiqued by their peers. Morrison has suggested it went a little beyond this and there were outright story ideas made but we'll never really know.

Millar can still tell a decent enough story every now and again. It's just that these days he doesnt really have to because his books sell regardless.

Remember his return to the Ultimates? The vampire arc

(in reply to energoncube)
Post #: 681
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/6/2012 8:37:15 PM   
directorscut

Great fun, lovely art. Killer Moth is such a hilarious loser of a villain. The only thing I didn't really like was the self-aware references to future events.

Edward G. Robinson cameos for about 2 panels.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 682
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/6/2012 9:41:38 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

As for Millar, I think you've summed him up in a nut-shell. He can come up with a great central idea to pitch, but take away the fights and the pop culture references, and the scripts are as hollow as a Lindt bunny.

Hollow is definitely the right word, Red Son is the only thing he's written with much re-read value I find. The main thing that annoys me about Millar is how cynical his work is - Morrison would also deal with plenty of dark concepts as well obviously, but his affection for the genre always comes through (same goes for the likes of Moore and Ellis's best work). I rarely get the same feeling from Millar's work, and it all feels a bit empty as a result.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 683
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/6/2012 5:08:22 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I have to admit, when I first heard about this project I did think it was a bit of a stepdown for a guy who's done top-notch work with both Alan Moore and Mad Frankie Miller.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 2/6/2012 5:09:40 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 684
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/6/2012 6:07:41 PM   
furrybastard

Just to tie in with the Red Son/Millar discussion. Came across this link on Bleeding Cool, an interview with Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman in 1991 (CLICK) where Pratchett puts forward his idea for a Superman comic...

quote:

And finally, I'm toying with the idea of a comic, but it's got nothing to do with 'Discworld'. It's called 'Stalin' and it's what would happen if Superman landed in Russia in 1904. The direct translation of the word 'Stalin' is 'man of steel.' I'm not intending it to be a particularly funny comic. It has to be tragic, not because that's the fashion for superheroes, but because when you consider Russian history, it is tragic."

Admittedly it's not the most originaly idea anyway but just interesting to note. Pratchett writing a Superman story would have been quite cool!

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 685
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/6/2012 1:58:56 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Just to tie in with the Red Son/Millar discussion. Came across this link on Bleeding Cool, an interview with Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman in 1991 (CLICK) where Pratchett puts forward his idea for a Superman comic...

quote:

And finally, I'm toying with the idea of a comic, but it's got nothing to do with 'Discworld'. It's called 'Stalin' and it's what would happen if Superman landed in Russia in 1904. The direct translation of the word 'Stalin' is 'man of steel.' I'm not intending it to be a particularly funny comic. It has to be tragic, not because that's the fashion for superheroes, but because when you consider Russian history, it is tragic."

Admittedly it's not the most originaly idea anyway but just interesting to note. Pratchett writing a Superman story would have been quite cool!

Man I would've loved to have seen this idea from Pratchett realised! That would have been so freakin' cool!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/6/2012 2:00:35 AM >

Post #: 686
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/6/2012 3:33:46 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 8/4/2013 3:29:32 PM >

Post #: 687
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/6/2012 6:16:50 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: darko18

I haven't read Red Son, but I love comics that turn the superhero genre on its head. Like The Runaways (follows a group of kids horrified to learn their parents are supervillains), or The Boys (follows a group of people whose job it is is to keep superheroes in line and basically clean up after them). Anyone suggest anything else along those lines?

There's quite a lot of those coming out these days! Mark Waid's series Irredeemable (Superman turns evil) and its counterpart Incorruptible (villain turns goodie!). He also has a new free webseries out where he's experimenting with digital comics, that's called Insufferable (Robin grows up and is a complete dickhead), check that out here (CLICK)

Warren Ellis' The Authority (superheroes in the real world decide to get more *ahem* proactive about saving the world) was the first and still probably the best, though it's been ripped off so much over the last decade you'll probably recognise every story beat.

Image have a healthy amount of titles in this area too. Most recent ones are Danger Club (all superheroes are gone and their sidekicks are left), Hell Yeah and America's Got Powers. There's also Powers (superhero cops) and Alan Moore's Top Ten (superhero cops but better than Powers!).

Is there a name for this sub-genre!?

EDIT: Oh, and you might like Morning Glories. It's a sort-of successor to Runaways. Bunch of kids with powers get brought to some weird school that's involved in some sort of evil, ancient conspiracy. I'm not a huge fan of the art as I find it quite dull and flat but the series itself is pretty good. That one's from Image too!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 3/6/2012 6:19:24 PM >

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 688
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/6/2012 7:13:34 PM   
sanchia

quote:

There's quite a lot of those coming out these days! Mark Waid's series Irredeemable (Superman turns evil)

I read the final issue of that the other day. Now it had been going downhill for a good few months but the ending itself was absolutely dire and a massive cliche which I have seen at least a dozen times before (in fact I think Morrison did the same thing in All Star Superman just so much better).

It is a shame because when he is at the top of his game few can reach the heights of Mark Waid.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 3/6/2012 7:15:16 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 689
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/6/2012 9:29:12 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

There's quite a lot of those coming out these days! Mark Waid's series Irredeemable (Superman turns evil)

I read the final issue of that the other day. Now it had been going downhill for a good few months but the ending itself was absolutely dire and a massive cliche which I have seen at least a dozen times before (in fact I think Morrison did the same thing in All Star Superman just so much better).

It is a shame because when he is at the top of his game few can reach the heights of Mark Waid.

That's crap to hear. I only read the first volume of it (I think it was the first five issues) and it was decent, if nothing spectacular. Is Incorruptible any good?

Again the whole 'twisted superhero' genre is in danger of becoming the norm at this point. Whatever happened to truth, justice and all that other good stuff?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI