Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/4/2012 5:05:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Just finished The Sandman: World's End so I've only got The Kindly Ones, The Wake and Endless Nights left to read now. Seriously, everyone should read these, they're bloody brilliant. The way Gaiman weaves legend, myth and history into his narrative is amazing. I really like the small story collections as well. Dream Country has the best short story IMO in A Dream of a Thousand Cats but Fables & Reflections is the better collection, although World's End is brilliant as well. I'm dreading and looking forward to The Kindly Ones in equal measure.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 511
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/4/2012 4:48:58 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I am in the midst of THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER

IMHO: it's great so far, though I don't appreciate Moore's treatment of the Bond character. I do not believe that M would have said such disparaging things about Bond's importance to the service, that he was "just a bit of fun". The Flemming novels go out of their way to make clear that Bond is the best agent M has at his disposal.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 2/4/2012 4:50:32 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 512
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/4/2012 6:10:18 PM   
furrybastard

Ha I quite liked the portrayal of the Bond character. In my mind he's an imperialist, misogynist scumbag so it was nice to see a take from that angle for a change

I really liked the Black Dossier as well. Though I do feel the League books get increasingly more reference-heavy at the expense of story as they go on. The variety of BD is really impressive though and shows off just how versatile a writer Moore really is.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 513
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/4/2012 8:30:32 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Ha I quite liked the portrayal of the Bond character. In my mind he's an imperialist, misogynist scumbag so it was nice to see a take from that angle for a change

I really liked the Black Dossier as well. Though I do feel the League books get increasingly more reference-heavy at the expense of story as they go on. The variety of BD is really impressive though and shows off just how versatile a writer Moore really is.

Oh I don't actually particularly disagree with Moore's reading of Bond's character, though Flemming's Bond most definitely was not a rapist. I don't mind Moore characterizing him that way for the purposes of his story, but it's not an accurate way to depict 007. My main complaint is the way Moore has M marginalize Bond's skills and contributions. Bond definitely made some dumb errors (Murray getting the upper hand on him with her ruse would not have been out of the realm of plausibility), but to have M dispariage Bond's accomplishments just riled me up. Bond had saved England from atomic holocaust virtually single handedly, in the MOONRAKER incident. That alone should be enough to earn him the right not to have his exploits passed off as "a bit of fun". Time and again Bond went above and beyond for the service, often at great personal cost, displaying superhuman endurance and strength of will.

Bond is a generally unpleasant character in many respects, but he's not a fool.

Anyway, I agree completely about Moore placing the story at times second on his list of preoccupations, but it's still an exciting read all the same. He's definitely one of a kind, no one else is working on his level.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 514
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/4/2012 7:47:59 PM   
Chojin

I started Crossed Volume 2 today. Now i'm no stranger to bit of graphic violence/rape in media but this is just sickening. I don't think i've ever wanted to put down a book from being disgusted by the content. The second volume is vile to read.....but I guess that's why i've got to read on and see what it throws at me next.

Definitely the most graphic comic book i've ever read.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 515
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/4/2012 7:52:01 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I started Crossed Volume 2 today. Now i'm no stranger to bit of graphic violence/rape in media but this is just sickening. I don't think i've ever wanted to put down a book from being disgusted by the content. The second volume is vile to read.....but I guess that's why i've got to read on and see what it throws at me next.

Is that Lapham's stuff? It's absolute cack.

Ennis is currently back on Crossed writing Badlands which is decent enough. And the rather good Si Spurrier is doing their free webcomic - http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/the-webcomic/ - the first three chapters of which you can read now at that link.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 516
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/4/2012 7:59:51 PM   
Chojin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Is that Lapham's stuff? It's absolute cack.

Ennis is currently back on Crossed writing Badlands which is decent enough. And the rather good Si Spurrier is doing their free webcomic - http://www.crossedcomic.com/category/the-webcomic/ - the first three chapters of which you can read now at that link.

Yeah, Ennis isn't involved with Volume 2.

The father raping each and every one of his daughters was bad enough but one of them giving birth and eating the baby? That was a new one on me.Who the hell thinks of stuff like that?

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 517
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/4/2012 8:04:58 PM   
furrybastard

I think Lapham is far more concerned with coming up with horrible things than actual story or character. Ennis' first two issues of Badlands (which I guess would be Vol. 4?!) have much better at building a sense of dread and terror. Lapham's work is just supposed to give an instant shock and that's it.

Spurrier's webcomic is an improvement too. Though it does have that scene.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 3/4/2012 8:05:45 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 518
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/4/2012 6:42:16 PM   
directorscut

Enjoyable issue and the Rhino was a lot less dumb (from a writing/conception standpoint) than I thought he would be.

The Stan Lee Award For Facepalm Worthy Bad/Obvious Dialogue: "I realize now -- we never had anything in common! It's just that she was the first girl I ever thought I loved!" Runner-up: "Once I thought I couldn't live without her! Now she's just another girl named Betty!"

The Stan Lee Award For Facepalm Worthy Dumb Plotpoint: Who is the Rhino (I expect this to be answered in a later issue) and why is he on a mission to get space spores for the Ruskies (I imagine)?

The Stan Lee Award For Ill-Advised Attempt At Creating Lingo To "Get Down With the Young People": "I suppose so, Peter dear! It's a real pussywillow!" "Thanks Aunt May, you're a real pussywillow!"

Does Peter Worry About Aunt May And/Or School Work?: Yes, hia spider abilities allows him to worry about Aunt May while studying.

Does Flash Called Peter "Puny Parker"?: No.

Obscure '60s Pop Culture Reference: "For shame, Rhiny! That line went out with "The Perils of Pauline!". A 1910s and '30s serial adventure series where the heroine constantly gets into trouble.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 519
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/4/2012 12:03:01 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I must say i'm really having a ball reading THOR! I'm currently midway through reading VOL 2 and it is so damn enjoyable!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/4/2012 9:22:27 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 520
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/4/2012 6:43:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Finished re-reading Sandman last night. I just can't praise it enough. If I had my way they'd make you read it at school.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 521
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/4/2012 9:25:07 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Finished re-reading Sandman last night. I just can't praise it enough. If I had my way they'd make you read it at school.

THIS.

{it is without doubt a remarkable feat in comic book storytelling, equal to nothing else I have read or seen. And I wholly agree: Sandman should be part of the school ciriculum!}

Post #: 522
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/4/2012 9:35:00 PM   
furrybastard

I can only imagine the parent complaints.

"So this bit where he stabs his own eyes out and tortures everyone in a cafeteria... "

"It's like Dante's Inferno, you see?"

"..."

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/4/2012 9:39:59 PM >

Post #: 523
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/4/2012 9:50:32 PM   
sanchia

"And this is the bit where the serial killer eats the boys eyes"

It would be great.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 524
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/4/2012 12:26:19 AM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

THIS.

{it is without doubt a remarkable feat in comic book storytelling, equal to nothing else I have read or seen. And I wholly agree: Sandman should be part of the school ciriculum!}

The highschool I attended now has V FOR VENDETTA on the required reading list for 10th grade English!

Post #: 525
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/4/2012 12:50:55 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

The highschool I attended now has V FOR VENDETTA on the required reading list for 10th grade English!

Haha! Teach kids some good ol' fashioned lessons on anarchy.

Hopefully they don't try to cheat and watch the film. Talk about a complete whitewash of the source material (It was mildly entertaining in its own right but really, V for Vendetta was not about liberals vs. conservatives. Not in the slightest.)

Post #: 526
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/4/2012 1:27:46 AM   
Olaf

As I've just completed a dissertation of which at least a third is about Sandman, I can only hope that whoever is marking it feels the same as you guys about its academic value. I didn't get to talk about Corinthian though, regrettably.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 527
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/4/2012 3:28:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Haven't read this for years. Great fun, gotta love Judge Death .

Edit: Finished the above as well as the following.

I'd forgotten how much fun the Dredd v Batman crossovers were. Seeing 2 of my favourite characters knocking ten bells out of each other is awesome .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 8/4/2012 5:52:21 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 528
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/4/2012 7:33:19 PM   
King of Kafiristan

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN BLACK DOSSIER SPOILERS

Well I finally got around to finishing up BLACK DOSSIER. I've just got a few more pages to go, as the 3D Blazing World section started to make me ill. It was a rousing adventure all in all, and I'm more excited than ever for LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOLUME III: CENTURY and NEMO: HEART OF ICE. If I had one complaint, it would be that Moore seems very confused with his handling of the Bond character. When he kept referring to Bond having helped the yanks out in Jamaica with their mad doctor "yellow peril" villain, I had my suspicions. When towards the end Moore began to suggest it was a mission Bond had performed to assist Felix Leiter, that confirmed it. For whatever reason, he seems to be going with the continuity of the Sean Connery films rather than the Flemming novels. The circumstances surrounding the Crab Key incident had nothing to do with the Ameircans. Bond went there to look into a British station chief who'd been suspected of having run off with his secretary. By the time Flemming wrote DR NO, it was his sixth novel and Felix Leiter had long since 'retired' from CIA after having been maimed by a shark in LIVE AND LET DIE. Bond's triumph against Dr No and his devilish torture experiment was a remarkable feat of endurance, and to suggest the entire incident never happened - while somehow using the EON films as his source of Bond history - was very odd.

Oh well. The League remains good fun, and the more I read the less I find myself bothered when Moore pulls in stuff completely out of left field with his effort to create a grand unified theory of fiction.

PS the fact that Charlie Chaplain's Hynkel ran the Third Reich just cracks me up!

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 9/4/2012 5:09:57 AM >

Post #: 529
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 2:40:11 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I haven't read The Black Dossier yet, but I think its long overdue! I finished re-reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 and 2 a week or so ago and it just made firmer my feelings of how awesome this series is. It is the comic book equivalent of a refreshing swallow of wine after a long and merciless trek through the arid desert! In other words its a joy to read!

But seeing as Hyde met his demise in Vol 2 (an honourable death in my view!) I will miss his psychotic presence in The Black Dossier and Century!! (he was my favourite character alongside Nemo!)

Post #: 530
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 4:44:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I found the storage box with all my Dredd TPB's the other day, hence the number of Dredd titles I'm reading. It's been absolutely ages (a decade easily) since I read them so it's nice to have a flick through before the film later on this year. I'm only a bit into Apocalypse War (still in the Block Mania bit at the mo) but I'm loving it so far and the B&W art by Ezquerra is absolutely stunning.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 9/4/2012 4:45:49 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 531
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 7:27:55 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

I haven't read The Black Dossier yet, but I think its long overdue! I finished re-reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 and 2 a week or so ago and it just made firmer my feelings of how awesome this series is. It is the comic book equivalent of a refreshing swallow of wine after a long and merciless trek through the arid desert! In other words its a joy to read!

But seeing as Hyde met his demise in Vol 2 (an honourable death in my view!) I will miss his psychotic presence in The Black Dossier and Century!! (he was my favourite character alongside Nemo!)

They're marvelous fun! I recently made it my mission to catch up on the series, as I read LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOLUME I in highschool, and never got round to the rest of 'em (I didn't want to get them out of the library, I wanted to wait till I could buy them). The detail on every page is a joy, and the fun Moore clearly has writing it shines through with every panel. I ordered VOLUME II and BD in hardcover and they look great on my shelf. I also just ordered VOLUME I in hardcover just to complete the set. I'm going to hold off on CENTURY until June when I can read them in a big chunk since all three installments will be out.

Hope you enjoy BLACK DOSSIER when you get a chance! It's good fun and it's interesting to see the League thrust into post BIG BROTHER England.

Post #: 532
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 9:32:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

They're marvelous fun! I recently made it my mission to catch up on the series, as I read LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOLUME I in highschool, and never got round to the rest of 'em (I didn't want to get them out of the library, I wanted to wait till I could buy them). The detail on every page is a joy, and the fun Moore clearly has writing it shines through with every panel. I ordered VOLUME II and BD in hardcover and they look great on my shelf. I also just ordered VOLUME I in hardcover just to complete the set. I'm going to hold off on CENTURY until June when I can read them in a big chunk since all three installments will be out.

Hope you enjoy BLACK DOSSIER when you get a chance! It's good fun and it's interesting to see the League thrust into post BIG BROTHER England.

Thanks mate! I cannot wait to get started on The Black Dossier and Century! They really are an extraordinary set of books! What would the world be without Alan Moore?!! A world without Alan Moore is a world not worth living in!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 9/4/2012 9:33:29 PM >

Post #: 533
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 10:29:30 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Thanks mate! I cannot wait to get started on The Black Dossier and Century! They really are an extraordinary set of books! What would the world be without Alan Moore?!! A world without Alan Moore is a world not worth living in!

Have a look at the current DCU and weep

Post #: 534
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/4/2012 11:53:14 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Have a look at the current DCU and weep

Post #: 535
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/4/2012 12:43:32 AM   
Zaphod121

I actually really enjoyed this, lost track of Ultimate Spidey years ago but figured this would be a good point to jump back in, starts off slow but I found myself really getting into it near the end and got a little emotional at Peter's funeral

Post #: 536
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/4/2012 8:34:41 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading SANDMAN VOL 8: WORLDS END, and have GOTHAM CENTRAL VOL 3 lined up aswell. As for books purchazsed......(see 'What comics have you bought' thread)

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 537
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/4/2012 6:20:16 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Nearly finished Apocalypse War (so good), after that it'll be Batman: Shadow of the Bat issues 1-20.

Can't wait

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 538
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/4/2012 6:51:34 PM   
Vadersville

Really, really enjoyed this. The Knightsquest is missing from the three Knightfall trades (although I now hear it will be in reprints this year to coincide with The Dark Knight Rises! ) so I was already looking forward to this. I'm at a little disadvantage as Mr. Turtle had already claimed the previous 20 issues in Sharkboy's great comic give away but I know enough about the overall arc to find my feet and besides, this does seem to be the start of a new arc within the arc. First off, It's amazing just how well the comic dates. Honestly the only thing that sets this apart from modern comics is the colouring. And even then to be honest I do have a soft spot for the 90s colouring style. The panelling is dynamic and really helps the flow of the story, each character is drawn with such energy and emotion and the writing is top notch. Batman's internal monologue is brilliant as he struggles to heal after the events of Knightfall Broken Bat and has to realise he has limitations. Can't wait to read the next issue. Once again, thank you Sharkboy!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 539
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/4/2012 5:31:20 PM   
directorscut

Spider-Man fight Jameson's super-powered son and the first full appearance of Mary Jane.

The Stan Lee Award For Facepalm Worthy Bad/Obvious Dialogue: "And look at this vault! Could anyone without the proportionate strength of a spider have done something like that?"

The Stan Lee Award For Facepalm Worthy Use of Alliteration: And, speaking of that peerless paragon of publishing parsimony.

The Stan Lee Charge of Crimes Against Science: Spider-Man reverses the affects of "space spores" on Jameson Jr. by knocking him into electricity. Something about electro-magnetic fields.

Does Peter Worry About Aunt May And/Or School Work?: No.

Does Flash Called Peter "Puny Parker"?: Yes.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI