Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> What comic book are you reading right now? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 11:46:40 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I know a lot of you guys use the 'Last Comic Book You Bought' thread to post your reading material. I myself have used that thread to post/share my reading material, NOT neccessarily what I have purchased. You see, some of us might buy a comicbook a few weeks, months or even a year ago, and have only decided to read it now. Well this thread here is for you guys; to post what you are reading RIGHT NOW, rather than purchased.

So i'll start with myself, naturally!

I just started reading Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN last night. And guess what? I've been fucking gripped by the story since the opening panel!

The shock of what I had just discovered (namely the book) had prompted me to ask myself the following; just where the fuck was I all this time? Was I stuck in my own version of dreamscape pergatory like the books protagonist? Why had it taken me so long to read this brilliant graphic novel?

This is without doubt one of the most amazing story, with amazing artwork and amazing ideas I had read in a while! I've read Gaiman's stories before, but the mere fact I have overlooked his most acclaimed work till now, is bloody criminal!! But its not too late eh?

SANDMAN is a macabre, mindboggling, un-put-down-able graphic novel!

In a word or two; FUCKING AWESOME!!! Now that i've discovered this gem, I wont rest until I finish ALL the Sandman books!!!

Anyone else read 'em? What's your thoughts on this awesome story??

My last 7 graphic novels read:
MAUS ***** 5/5
BATMAN: CACOPHONY *** 3/5
BATMAN: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE CAPED CRUSADER? ****4/5
HELLBLAZER: INDIA **** 4/5
HELLBLAZER: FAMILY MAN ***** 5/5
SUPERMAN: WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMORROW? **** 4/5
THE PUNISHER YEAR ONE **** 4/5

Now reading;
SANDMAN Vol 1: PRELUDES & NOCTURNES

Still to read:
DARDEVIL: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR

Purchased:
HELLBOY VOL 1: SEED OF DESTRUCTION (see 'Last Comic Book You Bought' thread)

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/3/2013 2:48:28 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 3:00:37 PM   
petecriss8000

I've just finished reading the first three trades of Gotham Central, which follows the GCPD's major crimes unit on various supervillain-related cases (some not, even) and features a very few appearances by Bats. It's the most I've enjoyed comics in a couple months and I'd recommend to anyone, well, ever, really. Seeing as I haven't updated my blog in ages I may as well note what else I've read lately.

Tom Strong- Utterly bored by it to the extent that when I look back on it I've convinced myself I hated it.

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic Book 5- Holds some nostalgic value for me but mostly really really weak stuff. I think I might have actually fallen asleep while reading it and woken up at a later page, which has never happened before.

Hellblazer: Original Sins- Loved it, and look forward to reading more, in order. Think I'll just hunt down the trades that already exist as the current reissue program is publishing at two-a-year which is far too slow.

All-Star Superman: I enjoyed it but as with most of Grant Morrison's stuff a lot of it went over my head, which I'm sure I'll pick up on a second run-through.

New X-Men: Morrison's run again, and more of the above really. I've noticed he seems to have a fondness for stories in which people refuse to believe character who reveal identities to
them.

Batman: The Cult: Solid late 80s/ early 90s fare with a great sense of progression in the plot and some nasty colouring from Ren And Stimpy's Bill Wray.

Spider-Man: Spirits Of The Earth: Unreservedly the worst thing I've read since I started reading comics.

Frank Miller's Holy Terror: I really enjoyed it actually, and can't get behind most of the criticism being levelled at it by precious sorts who love a moan. I've no problem with people having a go about the story or art, but anyone banging on about its apparent status as an attack on an entire culture could do with finding something better to spend their time on than looking for, actively SEEKING out things to be offended by.

You ought to enjoy The Man Without Fear, and if you do, consider picking up the rest of Frank Miller's run (collected as Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson volumes 1-3 and Daredevil: Born Again).

I'd quite like to start reading Sandman myself but again I'm waiting on Vertigo to finish republishing it in those new editions, at which stage I'll buy the lot and not leave the house for a few days.

Also, I just noticed your sig Nex, and I'm firmly in the 'fucker' camp!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 3:18:10 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

I've just finished reading the first three trades of Gotham Central, which follows the GCPD's major crimes unit on various supervillain-related cases (some not, even) and features a very few appearances by Bats. It's the most I've enjoyed comics in a couple months and I'd recommend to anyone, well, ever, really. Seeing as I haven't updated my blog in ages I may as well note what else I've read lately.

Tom Strong- Utterly bored by it to the extent that when I look back on it I've convinced myself I hated it.

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic Book 5- Holds some nostalgic value for me but mostly really really weak stuff. I think I might have actually fallen asleep while reading it and woken up at a later page, which has never happened before.

Hellblazer: Original Sins- Loved it, and look forward to reading more, in order. Think I'll just hunt down the trades that already exist as the current reissue program is publishing at two-a-year which is far too slow.

All-Star Superman: I enjoyed it but as with most of Grant Morrison's stuff a lot of it went over my head, which I'm sure I'll pick up on a second run-through.

New X-Men: Morrison's run again, and more of the above really. I've noticed he seems to have a fondness for stories in which people refuse to believe character who reveal identities to
them.

Batman: The Cult: Solid late 80s/ early 90s fare with a great sense of progression in the plot and some nasty colouring from Ren And Stimpy's Bill Wray.

Spider-Man: Spirits Of The Earth: Unreservedly the worst thing I've read since I started reading comics.

Frank Miller's Holy Terror: I really enjoyed it actually, and can't get behind most of the criticism being levelled at it by precious sorts who love a moan. I've no problem with people having a go about the story or art, but anyone banging on about its apparent status as an attack on an entire culture could do with finding something better to spend their time on than looking for, actively SEEKING out things to be offended by.

You ought to enjoy The Man Without Fear, and if you do, consider picking up the rest of Frank Miller's run (collected as Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson volumes 1-3 and Daredevil: Born Again).

I'd quite like to start reading Sandman myself but again I'm waiting on Vertigo to finish republishing it in those new editions, at which stage I'll buy the lot and not leave the house for a few days.

Also, I just noticed your sig Nex, and I'm firmly in the 'fucker' camp!

Hey Pete,

I'm in the 'Fucker' camp too! I think it was Frank Darabont or Paul S. Sammon who said that 'Fucker' made it sound more shocking, because we all know the father son allegory anyway, so we dont need Roy Batty to re-enforce that notion.

Anyway, back to comic books; first things first - SANDMAN!! If you have'nt read them yet then boy are you in for a treat! And yes, wait for the (remaining) new versions to be released, then BUY THE WHOLE FUCKING LOT!!! Trust me, you will not regret it!! I'm planning on doing the same with the Hellboy series, the Book Depository are doing them for really cheap! Check it out when you get the time. I'll see if I can get you the link.

As for Holy Terror, I too criticised it - there were certain scenes which could be seen as offensive, you see the book does not mention an 'organisation' or terrorist group as the sole perpetrators of the attacks until quite late on, and up till then the reader is under the impression that ANY Muslim could have been the enemy, or has the potential to be a terrorist which is total B.S. And the fight inside the mosque, a place Muslims hold as sacred ground - could too be deemed offensive Or maybe people ARE taking it too serious. But Frank Miller's ultra right wing politics is not a secret as are his views, so was the politics in Holy Terror intentional?

Having said that, i've yet to finish reading it. So maybe I can give my proper views on it when i'm done reading it. Sounds about fair. Being a fan of Frank Miller I like to think he has more sense than to see the world with blinkers on. Or maybe old age has turned him into a bitter, small minded man? Who knows.

As for Hellblazer Original Sins; I have yet to read it. I've read that its one of the best Hellblazer titles. I've read so many of 'em yet I leave one of the best out? I need to get my priorites right! LOL!! Oh yeah, the thing which I loved about SANDMAN was the fact that you meet other DC characters along the way, even our John makes an apperance in the 3rd chapter (which i'm reading right now)!!

Anyway, keep up the good work!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/11/2011 10:25:03 PM >

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 3
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 4:31:36 PM   
Zaphod121

Cool idea for a thread,

I just finished ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL.3 - really enjoying this one, the N.Zone stuff was really cool and I like so far that there not just focusing on Dr. Doom as the bad guy and there also taking there time into actually making them the F4.

I'm also re-reading INVINCIBLE, I'm on VOL.4 at the mo - amazing of course, one of my favourite current titles.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 4
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 5:30:16 PM   
Vadersville

Just finished reading...

Warning! Spoilers follow!

I have to say, I found this quite disappointing. I've found Morrison's entire run a bit hit and miss (I loved Batman R.I.P. / I hated Final Crisis) and I hate it when he drags Batman down into super, cross-dimensional, time-warping bullshit. Batman for me has always been about the grit and it just jars horribly with the character. That said, Batman & Robin has been continually great since the first page of Batman Reborn (I've been following the series through the trade hardbacks rather than monthly comics) and I loved how Morrison has developed the growing older brother / younger brother relationship between Dick and Damian. Hell, he even somehow managed to make the brainwashed Talia bearable when I personally think making her completley evil stripped the character of her credibility and made her bland and boring. The series has felt like its been building up to something big since the start but this final chapter in the trilogy just falls flat. There are a few highlights, Joker commenting on how he likes the new Robin because he even brings his own crowbar was an excellent nod to a Death in the Family and I loved Dick's reaction to finding out Damian had been left alone with The Joker (worrying more for the Joker's safety than Robin's!), but nothing that makes this the climatic final chapter in this saga that it was built up to. I don't mind that Bruce's Batman just turns up out of nowhere just in the nick of time, I know that his real return is covered in TROBW, so that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that there's no real climatic showdown, there's no real explanation as to who the hell, or what the hell Dr. Hurt is (Dick says one thing, Bruce another, Damian hints at something else again and Hurt himself still insists he's Bruce's father), and the final resolution is just..well crap. Nothing really happens and nothing is really answered. At the start of the story, the public thinks Thomas Wayne has returned but I haven't heard any mention of him in stroies since then so what was the official explnation for his return and sudden disappearance again? The Joker was present to Batman being called Bruce in R.I.P. and seemed to know that Bruce Wayne had been Batman when he was posing as The Gravedigger in Batman vs. Robin, so does he still know Bruce is Batman? Also isn't it a bit crap that Hurt is just buried alive when we know how easy it was for Bruce to dig himself out in R.I.P? Plus, how come Bruce claims not to know what happened to Hurt when he found The Joker next to a freshly dug grave with a shovel in his hand? World's Greatest Detective indeed... The artwork isn't great either. It started off good in Batman Reborn and has got progressively work as the series has gone. The story has more than made up for that up until now but this time it was just terrible.

3 / 10

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 5
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 10:06:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Vadersville,

Wow! Thanks for that very informative review dude!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 6
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 10:17:29 PM   
filipe

does naruto and one piece count?

Post #: 7
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 10:49:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: filipe

does naruto and one piece count?

As far as I can tell, ANY comic book / graphic novel's, whether American, British, Japanese or Martian counts!!!

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 8
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2011 11:25:39 PM   
Olaf

The Sandman is the most perfect comic series ever. I love all of it. Also, regarding cross-dimensional time-warping Batman vs gritty realistic Batman, I enjoy reading the former more to be honest. Partly because there's a rather tedious amount of the latter written with the character.

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I'm dipping in and out of Jack Kirby's New Gods which is pretty remarkable. I can see why Morrison is a fan.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 9
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 12:56:17 AM   
petecriss8000

I'll be getting some New Gods soon too, hopefully. Been seeing a lot of that stuff in the Timm animated series.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 10
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 5:36:17 AM   
wesh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I just started reading Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN last night. And guess what? I've been fucking gripped by the story since the opening panel!

try to read the 'absolute' versions of sandman. the remastered art looks much better.
it's a great book. also check out endless nights when you're finished with the main sandman story.

Post #: 11
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 10:01:34 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesh

quote:

try to read the 'absolute' versions of sandman. the remastered art looks much better.
it's a great book. also check out endless nights when you're finished with the main sandman story.

Well I 'm reading 'the fully re-coloured' version, the artwork looks fresh as does the colouring, maybe thats what your talking about right? It doesnt say 'absolute Sandman' though...

Thanks for the recommendation, i'll check out Endless Nights when i'm done reading Sandman.

Cheers

(in reply to wesh)
Post #: 12
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 7:37:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Woah!! I've just finished reading SANDMAN, and i've just one word to sum it all up, actually make that two.....

FUCKING. AWESOME!!!!

It was a pleasure reading this macabre masterpiece, the only other time i've been thrilled or hooked by reading a comic 'series' was when I first discovered Hellblazer! Its very similar in tone, dark, macabre, odd, mystifying, awesome, amazing, scary, thoughtful...damn, i'm going to run out all superlatives and STILL wont come close to describing this graphic novel! Neil Gaiman really is something else!

I cannot wait to get my hands on Vol 2!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/11/2011 7:53:40 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 7:52:36 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading DAREDEVIL: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR by Frank Miller and Romita Jr (i dont waste my time do i?!!! )

The artwork by Romita looks stunning. I''ve read first few pages, looks like i'm going to enjoy this one!

Post #: 14
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/11/2011 9:49:20 PM   
furrybastard

JUDGE DREDD: CASE FILES 18 - I've pretty much been reading these as they've come out. Can't believe there's been 18 volumes (along with 3 Restricted Files, America and The Dead Man!) but they're still really strong. This volume is interesting to me because it's around the time I started reading 2000AD - almost 20 years ago!? - though it would be a few years until I started the Megazine so a lot of those stories I wouldn't have read. This period for 2000AD is widely considered its very worst but a lot of the Garth Ennis stuff holds up well enough, though he does tend to fall back on the same pattern of shallow pop satires and piss-takes. It was also when 2000AD seemed insistent on all their artists doing painted work but the lovely Case Files paper really improves how these looked than in their original form. This volume also marks (hyuck hyuck) Mark Millar's first work on the character and he starts as he means to finish with a rather crap, poorly executed story that sells itself completely on it's sort-of-cool premise.

The real winner here is the second half of the book that features the Meg material, namely the Mechanismo story.  While Ennis and others tried (and failed) to emulate series creator John Wagner's grasp of the character, his history and the city itself in 2000AD, Wagner stuck to writing for the Meg during this period and it's this focus that really helps drive the series to where it is today. Starting off with America, then moving on to Mechanismo Wagner gave Dredd a new depth and meaning, proving himself more than capable of delivering the goods without his decade-long co-writer Alan Grant. Mechanismo and its sequel - alongside artist (and collaborator on the character-defining America) Colin McNeil - is a brilliant story with some of McNeil's best work. It's also a story that lays the crumbs for the next couple of years of Dredd's world, particlarly the descent of Chief Judge McGruder from eccentric-yet-capable leader to dangerous, paranoid madwoman, a character arc that ends in one of the most touching and perfectly executed Dredd single stories ever (that won't be reprinted till around volume 21!)

For people looking to get into Judge Dredd, I wouldn't recommend this as the first volume to get. I wouldn't even recommend volume 1 actually!  The 'early' Dredd classics like The Judge Child Quest and The Cursed Earth (both of which make up the entirety of volume 2) and Apocalypse War (volume 5) are great places to start. America is Dredd's Year One or Dark Knight Returns if you want, probably the closest you're going to get to a self-contained 'definitive' take on the character but it's also where Wagner brings the character forward and injects more serious political stuff into Dredd's world, apparently because he was worried that people had begun to lose perspective on his original intent - a futurist satire of modern culture and authority, and the dangers of surrendering freedom for safety - some even considered Dredd a hero or someone to look up to. Actually America makes an interesting companion piece to something like The Dark Knight Returns: the both deal with similar characters and themes but, in my opinion, America is much more intelligent and nuanced than Miller's work. Of course, it's not American and isn't published by either of the Big Two, so it's not as celebrated by the masses.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent!

I'm also reading this, a collection of Beaton's online webcomic. They're all available to read here for free (Click) but it's really nice to have them in print!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 20/11/2011 9:52:32 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 2:29:30 AM   
petecriss8000

Think I'm going to get a few comics collections for Christmas including that latest X-Men omnibus, which means catching up on all the issues between it and the Dark Phoenix saga which is where I stopped reading. I'm just worried that there'll be a pile of crossovers that I won't have access to and I'll end up missing a lot of parts.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 16
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 10:59:07 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Woah!! I've just finished reading SANDMAN, and i've just one word to sum it all up, actually make that two.....

FUCKING. AWESOME!!!!

It was a pleasure reading this macabre masterpiece, the only other time i've been thrilled or hooked by reading a comic 'series' was when I first discovered Hellblazer! Its very similar in tone, dark, macabre, odd, mystifying, awesome, amazing, scary, thoughtful...damn, i'm going to run out all superlatives and STILL wont come close to describing this graphic novel! Neil Gaiman really is something else!

Sandman really is something very special. And trust me, it just keeps getting better and better.  If, by the time you've read the Seasons of Mist storyline, you haven't had enough of Lucifer, then do yourself a favour and check out Mike Carey's Lucifer TPBs.  As well as some of the characters from the pages of Gaiman's work, it has the same beautiful depth of mythology and legend about it. 

After Sandman finished, a new monthly title called The Dreaming started up, featuring the inhabitants of Morpheus's realm (mainly Cain and Abel), but with little or no appearances from the Endless.  It's not bad - certainly worth a look, but not of the same high quality as Gaiman' work.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 17
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 4:22:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

FUCKING. AWESOME!!!!

Sandman really is something very special. And trust me, it just keeps getting better and better. If, by the time you've read the Seasons of Mist storyline, you haven't had enough of Lucifer, then do yourself a favour and check out Mike Carey's Lucifer TPBs. As well as some of the characters from the pages of Gaiman's work, it has the same beautiful depth of mythology and legend about it.

After Sandman finished, a new monthly title called The Dreaming started up, featuring the inhabitants of Morpheus's realm (mainly Cain and Abel), but with little or no appearances from the Endless. It's not bad - certainly worth a look, but not of the same high quality as Gaiman' work.

Thanks mate! Trust me I cannot wait to get started on Vol 2! One of my favourite chapters in the first book was when Morpheus/Sandman enters Hell, and meets Lucifer and his cronies - it is fucking brilliant! The writing, the art - everything is so freakin' innovative and imaginative, I also like 24 hours, it was very disturbing indeed, Dr. Dee has to be the most evil S.O.B I have encountered in comics! LOL!! The small personality quirks like referring to people as flies, sends a shiver down my spine! I also loved Sandman's meeting with one of my favourite comic book character , John Constantine! Oh hell - I LOVED ALL THE BLOODY CHAPTERS!!!

And if what you say is true, then boy am I going to be in for a treat!!

I'll follow your advice and definetely seek out the other books too. I'll make a note of 'em.

Cheers!!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 7:35:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading DAREDEVIL: MAN WITHOUT FEAR and I have to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable read! Really surprised by the story. its an origin story for Daredevil, you could see where the movie got its influences from although the film is nowhere near as good as this! Seriously I know he has had a lot of stick recently regarding his right wing views and what not, but when it comes to comics Frank Miller is a fucking genius! No one does a better origin story than him!!

Believe it or not, this was my first Daredevil comicbook, and i'm very impressed! The artwork by John Romita Jr is awesome! A joy to behold. Theres a lot of violence but hey, i'm not complaining! Like I. Said theres nothing like a bit of ultra violence now and then!!!

This book has been a joy to read (coming from a hardcore DC fan, thats really saying something!), and you count me as a new Daredevil fan! My next (Daredevil) reading will hopefully be Daredevil: Born Again also by Frank Miller. I cannot fucking wait!

An excellent graphic novel, highly recommended

***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/11/2011 7:56:00 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 9:54:03 PM   
Olaf

He may be a massive tosser nowadays but Frank Miller's run on Daredevil was the first series I really properly loved when I was a kid - I was lucky enough to be twelve/thirteen years old just as they started reprinting them over here (around 2003?) and it was a revelation. As such I'll always place the original Miller run/Born Again as my favourite period of the book, but MWF's a great book as well.

Also, it was consistently pretty much the best book Marvel produced for the best part of the last decade with a great turnover of creative teams (I even liked Kevin Smith's run on it). The (annoyingly brief) David Mack run of issues is possibly my favourite, though the Bendis/Maleev issues are amazing too. (I still haven't caught up with the Brubaker/Lark run on the book though.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 20
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/11/2011 10:25:25 PM   
furrybastard

You can get collections of Miller's run on the regular Daredevil title too, as well as Man Without Fear and Born Again. First volume is here (Click), not sure if the others are gone out of print or what but there are three volumes in total.

I actually disliked Born Again quite a bit. Went too far down that 80s naval-gazing, gritty-for-the-sake-of-it mood, in my opinion. I hated his Elektra mini-series too   I did like Man Without Fear though. I've actually got original copies signed by Mr. Romita himself!

I've been meaning to read the those 100-odd issues of Daredevil (starting with Smith's short run, then Bendis, Brubaker etc.) for years now. If only they'd release big ol' compendium paperbacks collecting everything

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 21
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 11:19:39 AM   
petecriss8000

To an extent, they have, furrybastard. I'm fairly sure Smith's books are collected in one volume (8 issues) in paperback now, Mack's are in one or two, then all of Bendis' are collected in three 'Ultimate Collections' and Brubaker's run is receiving the same treatment starting next year. Search for Daredevil Ultimate Collection on Amazon and you'll find some of it. Smith's run is under 'Guardian Devil', but it's AWFUL so I'd not recommend it.

Post #: 22
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 12:43:25 PM   
jcthefirst

Going to pick up Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? as I doubt anyone will buy me it for Christmas. Looking forward to it.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 23
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 1:56:04 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Going to pick up Gaiman's Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? as I doubt anyone will buy me it for Christmas. Looking forward to it.

Good choice! Its a really good comic book, a little on the short side but still worth it. If you look around you can buy it for real cheap, on Play and Amazon, I think 6.66 last time I checked.

I rarely buy books in person from shops anymore, I buy online 'cos you get excellent deals. Places like Borders and Waterstones charge extortionate prices even for a thin book. For example, I brought From Hell for only 14.49, and I saw it for bloody 25.00 at Waterstones yesterday! So I saved 10.00!!! Also same for Hellboy which I ordered for 8.66, and in the same shop? Bloomin' 14.99!!! Bloody bastards!!

Thats one reason why I stopped shopping in places liike HMV and WH Smith, not to mention, fucking Waterstones and Borders!! They never have deals on graphic novels!!

Sorry about the rant!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/11/2011 3:11:49 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 24
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 3:43:50 PM   
Rob

quote:

To an extent, they have, furrybastard. I'm fairly sure Smith's books are collected in one volume (8 issues) in paperback now, Mack's are in one or two, then all of Bendis' are collected in three 'Ultimate Collections' and Brubaker's run is receiving the same treatment starting next year. Search for Daredevil Ultimate Collection on Amazon and you'll find some of it. Smith's run is under 'Guardian Devil', but it's AWFUL so I'd not recommend it.

No! Seriously? I loved it. I think the art is great, the story's good and whilst it's undoubtedly surpassed by Bendis' work it's still a great re-introduction to the character.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 25
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 5:55:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading V FOR VENDETTA, this will be my first reading. Attempted a reading a year back but just couldnt make time as I was too busy. Fingers crossed this time my attempt at reading it proves fruitful!!

Talking of Moore, has anyone heard of Alan Moores new 'horror' series NEONOMICON? the artwork looks extraordinary, its supposed to be very Lovecraftian in tone. I tried looking online to see if I could purchase it, but to no avail.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/11/2011 6:11:15 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 26
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 8:47:13 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

BTW, I read your blogs mate- really funny

Dont worry, your not on your own - I too collect stuff , hoarding everything from my school books, even primary school book (!!), VHS, tapes, plain ticket to Spain, books, toys, Lego's you name it!! I simply cannot get rid of them, like you they carry a sentimental value!!

Sorry everyone for veering

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/11/2011 8:48:54 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 27
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2011 8:55:55 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

I love Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?. Confused me at first as I was led to believe that it was a direct follow on from Batman R.I.P. rather than the "What if" story it is. You're in for a real treat!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 28
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/11/2011 12:11:48 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

Compendium's tend to reprint 48 issues!  They've just announced one for Grant Morrison's Invisibles that's going to collect the whole run, something like 70 comics, in one volume!  The Ultimate Bendis ones look ok though, reprinting about twenty issues (Click)

quote:

Talking of Moore, has anyone heard of Alan Moores new 'horror' series NEONOMICON? the artwork looks extraordinary, its supposed to be very Lovecraftian in tone. I tried looking online to see if I could purchase it, but to no avail.

Click

Definitely one of his lesser works. Other than the LOExG, it's probably going to be his last comics works unfortunately (he's said that before!)

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 23/11/2011 12:12:20 AM >

Post #: 29
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/11/2011 1:56:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Furry, thanks for the info mate!

PS. If what you say is true, and Alan Moore does stop writing comics, than it will be a sad day indeed for the comic book and the geek community!!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/11/2011 4:42:05 PM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> What comic book are you reading right now? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI