Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 17/11/2011 12:14:39 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 17/11/2011 2:20:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

I need to know if this movie contains all the David Cronenberg stuff or is it the next one.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 2
RE: RE: - 17/11/2011 2:35:37 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I need to know if this movie contains all the David Cronenberg stuff or is it the next one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 17/11/2011 3:26:17 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

It's a 21A so I sadly doubt they'll be that faithful to the book.

It's part 2 that I'm eager for. I can't wait for the reviews tearing into a certain plot element.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 17/11/2011 3:29:11 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

quote:

It's part 2 that I'm eager for. I can't wait for the reviews tearing into a certain plot element.

A 21A?!! Wow this must be hardcore!!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 17/11/2011 6:58:23 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

quote:

A 21A?!! Wow this must be hardcore!!

Oops, my mistake. If it was a 21A then I'd pay to see it. I maintain that Stephenie Meyer has a Clive Barker style horror writer in her brain dying to get out and write the sickest vampire stories since Anne Rice jumped the shark, but keeps getting beaten down by sparkles.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 6
RE: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 18/11/2011 12:40:18 AM   
hairymonster11

One of my co-workers watched it last night cause i couldn't be arsed and even though she's a fan she said it was a big pile of wank. I have no intention of going to see it, just not my cup of tea. That said the twilight fans are pretty hardcore had 2 screens sell out for all 4 films and they've been sat here watching them since half 4. I probably would end it if i had to watch all 4 in a row

It smells like Gods Vagina
Post #: 7
RE: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 18/11/2011 1:04:44 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Oh dear God I want to die... I can't wait for all the "Twi-hards" taking up valuable queue space at the cinema. NOT!

I seriously can't think of anything worse right now....

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 22/11/2011 3:05:22 AM >

Art

(in reply to hairymonster11)
Post #: 8
RE: bring back Near Dark - 18/11/2011 12:55:38 PM   
superdan

I thought this thread would already be 15 pages of frothing teen outrage by now. I am disappoint.
Post #: 9
RE: bring back Near Dark - 18/11/2011 1:36:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I thought this thread would already be 15 pages of frothing teen outrage by now. I am disappoint.

Yeah, the Twilight threads are always a bit underwhelming.

Colour me disappointed.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 10
RE: - 19/11/2011 5:36:57 PM   
MonsterCat

Is it true that Wolf Boy falls in love with a baby in the book?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 19/11/2011 5:39:46 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Is it true that Wolf Boy falls in love with a baby in the book?

He imprints on it or it imprints on him (basically means that it is his soulmate)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 - 21/11/2011 1:11:24 PM   
DarbyDaresYou

OK guys chill out. They aren't that bad. I lost my enthusiasm for the films but I enjoy watching them. Infact, I wasn't one of the "twi-hards", but a best friend of one that went to the midnight premiere, and I booked my tickets before anyone else in my screening. SHE was the most annoying person to watch it with (just saying.) I enjoyed the beginning part, up until she became pregnant, then the films seemed to blur into a distant story line that moved too fast. I have read the books over and over and, I'm not gonna lie, the film was a pile of wank. They missed out some bits and added bits that weren't relevant. Admittedly, they left it on a cliffhanger that will definitely psych people up for Part II. I am glad I went to see it but I wish I hadn't wasted £6.50 on a ticket. I could have waited for it to come out on DVD. Trust me, it isn't the best film, I still believe the original was the best. But it is quite funny in parts and my friend enjoyed it. It depends on how much you like the series I guess.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 13
RE: Twilight Breaking Dawn - Review - 21/11/2011 8:15:50 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Does Taylor Lautner fulfill his shirt removal quota?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self
Post #: 14
RE: Twilight Breaking Dawn - Review - 21/11/2011 10:27:29 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRutherford

Granted, some scenes dragged on a bit for the first 30 minutes. Putting that time aside, and taking into account the fantastic acting, music, and close attention to detail that has made the book bestsellers, this has to be by far the best twilight yet. Throughly enjoyed!

How can fantastic acting and music make a book a bestseller ?
Post #: 15
RE: Twilight Breaking Dawn - Review - 21/11/2011 11:04:28 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Does Taylor Lautner fulfill his shirt removal quota?

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 16
RE: Twilight Breaking Dawn - Review - 22/11/2011 8:50:05 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRutherford

Granted, some scenes dragged on a bit for the first 30 minutes. Putting that time aside, and taking into account the fantastic acting, music, and close attention to detail that has made the book bestsellers, this has to be by far the best twilight yet. Throughly enjoyed!

How can fantastic acting and music make a book a bestseller ?

Despite completely disagreeing with everything JRutherford has said, people have bought the series of books on the back of the first film. Thus making them into bestsellers. Whether that's for a second time or not I don't know. Never having heard of them before the crappy films I can only assume it made them into bigger sellers.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 17
RE: - 23/11/2011 1:36:14 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Telepathic (or should that be Telepathetic) Wolves? hmmmm
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 26/11/2011 9:45:46 AM   
Dr Lenera

Edward and Bella are about to marry, but Jacob turns down his offer of invitation and leaves for Canada.  The ceremony proceeds initially without hiccup, but in the evening Jacob turns up and has a row with Edward when he angrily voices his concern about the chance of Bella getting injured and even killed by being with Edward.  The couple spend their honeymoon at a private island in Brazil, where they have sex for the first time.  In the morning, Bella wakes up with injuries and Edward initially refuses to make love to her again, despite Bella saying she loved the experience, until after a few days she gives in.  The next day, Bella realises that she is pregnantÖÖ

I have the feeling that, in a yearís time, I may re-read this review of Breaking Dawn and wonder what drugs I was on when I wrote it, because I really didnít find the film that bad.  Of course, it isnít good either, but I donít knowÖÖÖ..maybe itís because having recently sat through condescending rubbish like Straw Dogs, The Three Musketeers and Immortals, Breaking Dawn seems almost reasonable by comparison, maybe itís because Iím feeling generous, maybe Iíve gone soft, I just donít know.  The previous three Twilight movies were all pretty poor, and I sometimes felt like some kind of insane masochist for seeing the second and third ones, but this fourth episode really is a little better.  It seems that many Twilight fans dislike the book upon which it was based, and many others dislike this film for changing too much of the book, so those two facts, in themselves, should tell you that even if you dislike Twilight like me, this film isnít quite so awful!  As I have already said, itís not really a good film either, but I didnít come away hating it as I expected.

One thing the movie still is, is extremely slow.  Of course that need not be a bad thing if other aspects make up for it, or the film has a certain atmosphere, or the story is better told this way, but with this tale, for it to work at all, it needed some kind of increasing momentum, and for much of its running time, it just doesnít have it.  Thinking back, I think the second and third movies would have worked much better if they had been combined into one film, so little actually happens, and Breaking Dawn really seems to have suffered by the decision to only film the first half of the book and make the second half next year.  Everything just seems interminably stretched out.  Still, for most of the time, it plods along in a not entirely unpleasant way.  The outdoor wedding has a certain romantic charm about it, and itís rather refreshing to see Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson being given the chance to behave more like real people and display a wider range of emotions.  In fact, I donít think Pattinson does his stupid constipated stare once!  Sadly, the two are just not up to the task, with Pattinson just as wooden as before and Stewart spending most of the film with her mouth open [though itís a nice mouth, so I can almost forgive her].  She also doesnít seem to even try to convey the fear and horror of something growing inside you which could be really unpleasing!  Since Stewart was a capable child actress, and Pattinsonís other performances have been spoken well of [I havenít dared to experience them yet], Iíve come to the conclusion that itís more the material that has inspired such weak acting.

Of course there are the innumerable repetitive confrontation scenes where characters have a go at each other, and a really dumb bit where the werewolves, in their wolf forms, talk to each other.  I have no objection to talking animals in the appropriate films, but itís just hilariously out of place here, and the mouths donít even move, while Carter Burwell scores the scene with really intense, dramatic music, making the scene even funnier.  After the incredibly tame love scene [which was apparently re-edited after the first cut got an  ĎRí rating, but  in this version it may as well be a ĎPGí], we get into the pregnancy part of the story, and for the first time in the series, there is a little bit of mounting dread. Of course, itís hardly Rosemaryís Baby, but itís done better than you might expect, and climaxes with a birth scene that is surprisingly unpleasant.  We donít see much at all, but director Bill Condon concentrates mainly on close ups of peopleís faces, and itís all quite intense.  Sadly, the CG babyís face is horrendous, and then, we have, quite simply, the sickest plot device you could imagine in a film aimed at teenage girls.  I wonít go into detail, but it seems to me to nothing less than a case of paedophile grooming, and just seems wrong on every level.  Considering how little true darkness there is in these films, I can only assume that original author Stephanie Meyer couldnít think of a decent way to get Jacob back more into the story so just though ďthe hell with itĒ and just go sicko.

Condon gives us a striking dream scene where Bella has a bloody dream concerning the wedding and some of the  film has a nice pretty hue about it Ė by some margin this is the nicest to look at of all the films Ė but I would be lying if I didnít say that the best bit was a three second clip from Bride Of Frankenstein, which had already appeared in Condonís Gods And Monsters!  And once again, what little action there is, is shot with whirling cameras and quick shots  so you canít see whatís going on.  I am so sick of this, I mean what ever happened to filmmakers actually showing us whatís happening?  The CG effects  are quite poor though, and I canít understand why so little effort appears to have been made throughout the whole series in this area.  Aside from Pattinson and Stewart, the acting, generally, is adequate, and Burwellís score is quite compelling, though it seems like almost every scene is scored, and the scenes that arenít are instead peppered with the weediest, Ďemoí pop music you can imagine.  One of my biggest gripes about these films is the stupid and unconvincing love story at their centre.  Strange as it may seem, I can appreciate a good romance from time to time, be it Casablanca or The Notebook, but Iíve never bought Twilightís.  In this episode, the couple behave a bit more normally, but still have no chemistry whatsoever [despite being a couple in real life], and I donít even want to think too much about what it all actually says.  Iíve read that the main message of Twilight is that anyone, even if youíre a vampire or a werewolf, has a right to fall in love and be loved.  It seems to me more a case of, a girl must have a man, regardless of how dangerous they might be, I mean Bella seems to be mostly defined by Edward and Jacobís actions.  Of course millions of Twi-fans will disagree with this!  Still, I didnít find Breaking Dawn nearly as much as an ordeal as I expected.  That doesnít mean Iím looking forward to Part Two though!
Rating:4/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 28/11/2011 1:18:30 PM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Sadly, the CG baby's face is horrendous, and then, we have, quite simply, the sickest plot device you could imagine in a film aimed at teenage girls.  I won't go into detail, but it seems to me to nothing less than a case of paedophile grooming, and just seems wrong on every level.  Considering how little true darkness there is in these films, I can only assume that original author Stephanie Meyer couldn't think of a decent way to get Jacob back more into the story so just though "the hell with itĒ and just go sicko.

BREAKING DAWN BOOK / FILM SPOILERS BELOW:

Great review, but in terms of the above part that I've quoted, there is a plot reason for Jacob apparently taking a fancy to the baby. It's ludicrous, of course, but still consistent and correct in terms of Meyer's supernatural universe - the imprinting process can happen between people of any age, although it's certainly correct to suggest it's a bit icky with a teenager and newborn baby! It's a step to far to call it paedophile grooming, unpleasant as it may seem to those not familiar with the books.

The other thing, and the reason why many so-called 'die hard' fans hated the Breaking Dawn book, is that the conclusion may be considered a huge copout. Lots of people wanted a huge fight that would end with the Volturi put in their place - instead there was a decent setup to a huge potential confrontation, that ultimately tails off into an uneasy stalemate. So, even for vampires and werewolves, Meyer ultimately comes up with a modern day fairy tale with a 'happily ever after' ending, with everybody basically getting what they want - Edward and Bella get to live forever, drowning in syrupy love for each other, and they get what pretty much no other vampires get: offspring! Jacob, with his love for Bella unrequited, gets the second best prize of having her daughter as a soulmate, one who can grow rapidly to catch up with him in age, and then they'll both remain immortal as long as he turns into werewolf on a regular basis. (Even typing this out, I'm reminded of how barmy it all is!)

In terms of the film (Breaking Dawn Pt 1), a few quick observations of my own:

- BD should've been one long film, there's not enough actual plot to sustain two full-length features. The split between parts is in the right place but in Pt 1, very little happens. Shorn of sweeping aerial shots and endless Edward-Bella romancing, this film would be about twenty minutes long!
- Anyone familiar with the books will know that Meyer's vampires are physically frozen at the point when they're changed. So, film-on-film, how do the Cullens manage to change their hair styles and lengths? That shouldn't be possible!
- What do the Volturi do all day? They can't just sit on their thrones like Bond villains all the time!
- How has Edward managed to find the only part of Brazil where the sun never seems to shine down and make him sparkle?!
- Maybe it was just the cinema I was in, but the sound mix was awful. The incessantly loud musical score, pleasant as it was, tended to drown out a lot of the softer dialogue.
- Anna Kendrick must have a lot of lingering affection for the Twilight films, because I think it's fair to say that her own star power surely merits more than a few throwaway lines?
- How has the wolf CGI gotten worse from Eclipse? Even though these films make huge amounts of money, Summit Entertainment seem oddly unwillingly to really splash the cash, and it shows. I can only assume that Kristen Stewart benefited from a CGI makeover, for her transformation from normality, to bloated pregnancy, wasted corpse and finally revitalised vampire was superbly done.
- The wolfpack lads in human form seem to have wandered in from some sort of homoerotic Native American high school drama, with lots of distinctly unthreatening pouting and posturing.
- How is it that, to my eyes anyway, Kristen Stewart has always had better onscreen chemistry with Taylor Lautner than Robert Pattinson (who we can now openly declare as her real-life boyfriend)?

You know what? I could come up with a much longer list of nitpicks and snidey observations, but none of it matters. The Twilight films are as critic-proof as Harry Potter, Dan Brown, James Patterson etc. I read all the books and, despite constantly being aware of their plot and stylistic flaws, enjoyed them and also enjoy seeing them realised onscreen. So, yeah, I'm still a fan, although I'll never, ever, call myself a Twi-Hard!

< Message edited by BelfastBoy -- 28/11/2011 1:19:26 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 20
RE: NOT GUD ENOUGH - 7/12/2011 7:39:03 PM   
skeletonjack

Commits the cardinal sin of being utterly boring. The first 40 mins should have played out in 2 scenes: opening scene we see them get married, second scene they're in bed on honeymoon. Scene 3 then starts when she fears she's "late".
There, 40 mins of pure cinematic boredom chopped down into 2 minutes worth of film.
It did pick up as it went on, but this was mainly because it was unintentionally hilarious.
I'd actually quite enjoyed the previous films, but this one was dreadful.
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI