Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boll**CKs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Boll**CKs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 3:53:27 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

That's a poor parallel your drawing there. The tone of Downfall was unambiguous, the clue was in the title. If there's a clue in the title of this Thatcher biopic to it's tone, then "The Iron Lady" will be a love letter to the most politically divisive prime minister this country ever had.

Do you know that she has claimed over half a million pounds in expenses from the British taxpayer since she was booted out by her own party? Tells you everything you need to know about the rancid, money grubbing old shit bag.

Looking at the film's official synopsis, it states "A look at the life of Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep), the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a focus on the price she paid for power."

While I have not seen the film yet (and neither have you), it doesn't sound like it is "a love letter" anymore than The Queen was for the Royal family (in my opinion). Of course, there are plenty that disagree.

The price she paid for power? What, making herself and her family multi millionaires!

Your not making it any easier for me to look at this film objectively.

I don't think there's anything I could say that would make you do that, you made your mind up before you even saw the trailer.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 31
Blah, blah, blah. - 16/11/2011 1:10:05 AM   
TheSquire

Last time I checked this is a cinema website, not a forum for either those with rose tinted specs or those specs tinted with bitterness either. I was around throughout Thatcher's tenure and I can relate to much of what has been said (I'm a working class Midlander), and my family didn't have the best of times.
That said it is time to let this go. She has not been in power since the early nineties and we have been systematically shafted by every government since so it seems a bit strange to carp on about Thatcher at this point.
Not watching a film is a personal choice but to refuse to do so on a quasi-political basis in the hope that it will in some way "stick it to the man" is just daft. You don't have to like it, but if you feel so strongly about it I think you should at least watch it to justify tearing it to pieces. Otherwise you are simply censoring your own world - and there are enough people trying to do that for you already.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Stop whinging - 9/12/2011 3:13:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I have to agree with Timon, I think many here are dropping their knickers over a film they haven't even seen yet. At least reserve judgement until you've seen it. You may not have liked Margaret Thatcher and her policies but she did offer strong leadership through the Falklands War, the Iranian Embassy siege and against the IRA. The scene with the car bombing is probably Airey Neave being blown up by the INLA (or a SIS conspiracy if you believed Enoch Powell - yes him). Unless I'm mistaken, I think I spotted Michael 'Left' Foot in that heated commons exchange too. If they have cast someone to play Neil Kinnock then I'm sold. . I think people need to accept whether you like it or not, the British electorate kept her in power for that long. She was very much the Churchill of her time.

I think the trailer looks quite good.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 9/12/2011 5:56:33 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to TheSquire)
Post #: 33
Stinkers in January? - 9/12/2011 9:13:10 PM   
simplysimon2

Films released in January miss the Oscar competition and are usually "problem films". Release date ominous but Streep looks Oscar worthy. Curious?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Boll**CKs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI