Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Full Iron Lady Trailer Arrives Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Full Iron Lady Trailer Arrives Online Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Full Iron Lady Trailer Arrives Online - 14/11/2011 5:38:35 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 14/11/2011 5:38:35 PM   
cradleofcivilization

This could get ten stars from Empire and I wouldn't see it. I am not giving money to this she-devil and her spawn.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 14/11/2011 6:08:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

There are no words.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to cradleofcivilization)
Post #: 3
- 14/11/2011 6:48:12 PM   
silverlining7

Yes Thatcher was a nightmare, but the film itself looks interesting, plus Anthony Heads in it so I will be watching.

Post #: 4
RE: - 14/11/2011 7:00:27 PM   
JIm R

Is this being shown in 3D with special rose tinted glasses ?

looks like a complete fabrication to 'mellow' her and portray as a wonderful person -

(in reply to silverlining7)
Post #: 5
F**k that - 14/11/2011 7:48:25 PM   
Loosecrew

Seriously. F*********************************k that and the horse it rode in on.
Fine, whatever, she had a tough time but she also made sure that everyone else suffered too. ****!

Post #: 6
- 14/11/2011 8:59:29 PM   
zeech1941

Er...I don't think she'll get any money from the film...besides she's already fleeced us when she was in power

Post #: 7
celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 12:14:40 AM   
magnusdaz

do people seriously think that if labour were in government that there would have been a falklands war and iranian siege also would they have been targeted as badly by the ira.maggie love her or hate her had balls of steel she was willing to go to war against terrorists and any country who invaded british soil,its because of her we were a world and global power in the 80s.on the home front she may have gotten under the skin of some people but to the rest of the world she was a leader to be feared.and that is why she should be celebrated by the british people.

Post #: 8
This film - 15/11/2011 9:55:34 AM   
KC23

can get to fuck.

Post #: 9
F** that film! She made my dad out of work and many oth... - 15/11/2011 10:20:27 AM   
GZ

Why would I go to the cinema to watch this! bet the Tory's will be wetting themselves over this! They will probably show screenings in the village methodist churches with tea and fairy cake's prepared by Kirsty Allsop!!! The tories drove the working man to the ground in the 80's and they are doing the same again.Maybe the director of this film is the guy who leads this country now!!! he made a cracking film in the 80's called TheTerminator!!!!!!!!!! duh!

< Message edited by GZ -- 15/11/2011 10:22:54 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 10:32:46 AM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: magnusdaz

do people seriously think that if labour were in government that there would have been a falklands war and iranian siege also would they have been targeted as badly by the ira.maggie love her or hate her had balls of steel she was willing to go to war against terrorists and any country who invaded british soil,its because of her we were a world and global power in the 80s.on the home front she may have gotten under the skin of some people but to the rest of the world she was a leader to be feared.and that is why she should be celebrated by the british people.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to magnusdaz)
Post #: 11
The Cold Lady - 15/11/2011 10:33:27 AM   
GZ

Maybe someone should do a film that tells the story of the children that died looking for coal for their families in the winter of the 1980's mining strikes because their fuel was cut off!

Wonder if that will be in the film.

Post #: 12
RE: celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 10:40:31 AM   
JIm R

quote:

(in reply to magnusdaz)
Post #: 13
Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 10:55:38 AM   
GZ

Mate you don't know nothing and are true blue I'm sure ! I'm guessing your PR for the film and have been given the job of promoting a buzz on message forumns.
What a legacy she has, such an Iron lady with a heart. Love it how people turn a blind eye to facts! Those teenagers died looking for coal so they could keep warm for th winter because that so-called leader of the people drove the workers to strike. What ever your thoughts and political beliefs! thosse kids are dead! Not a legacy I would want on my tomb stone..............

Post #: 14
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 11:42:56 AM   
Wild about Wilder

OMG! saw the trailer not only does Meryl sound like her she looks the spitting image of her let's hope she doesn't act like "THE OLD COW!".
I think Americans have a rosey view of her unlike us who know her for what she was.

(in reply to GZ)
Post #: 15
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 12:31:50 PM   
Timon

I don't know, it looks like it'll be quite balanced - shows the riots, the conflicts, the full-on hatred she faced. Why does everyone seem to think this is going to be a "Tory wetdream"?

And what's this nonsense that somehow seeing the film is supporting Thatcher's policies. I saw the Devil's Double, does that mean I thought Uday Hussein was a stand up guy?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 16
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 12:51:36 PM   
Discodez

According to Xan Brook's review in todays Guardian, the film, "prints the legend and keeps the dissent on spartan rations" and "It is a movie that gives us Thatcher without Thatcherism."

So pretty much a Tory wet dream.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 12:56:55 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Punctuation and grammar are your friends.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to magnusdaz)
Post #: 18
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 12:57:01 PM   
Timon

Well, playing Devil's Advocate, it IS The Guardian saying that.

I think we need someone a little more neutral.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 19
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 2:20:53 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Like who? The Daily Mail? I think that review is probably the most objective we'll get from any British paper.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 2:23:15 PM   
Discodez

quote:

You must be the only person in the whole of Wales who thinks any of that is true.

(in reply to magnusdaz)
Post #: 21
RE: celebrate thatcher - 15/11/2011 2:37:28 PM   
rick_7

I hate Thatcher even more than I hate Meryl Streep.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 22
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 2:49:03 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

Like who? The Daily Mail? I think that review is probably the most objective we'll get from any British paper.

Why does it have to be a British paper? All newspapers have certain political leanings. I'd personally trust the opinion a publication that judges it as a film rather than a political propaganda piece like, I don't know, Empire?

And come on, I like to think of myself a liberal minded person, but I'm not kidding myself that The Guardian will be 'objective' on a film about Thatcher.

Reading some of these comments, I can't help but think a film about Hitler's love of painting in his early years and his rise to power would be less controversial.

"This could get ten stars from Empire and I wouldn't see it. I am not giving money to this Nazi and his anti-Semetic leanings!"

< Message edited by Timon -- 15/11/2011 2:51:20 PM >

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 23
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 2:56:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't know, it looks like it'll be quite balanced - shows the riots, the conflicts, the full-on hatred she faced. Why does everyone seem to think this is going to be a "Tory wetdream"?

And what's this nonsense that somehow seeing the film is supporting Thatcher's policies. I saw the Devil's Double, does that mean I thought Uday Hussein was a stand up guy?

I think the problem is that the trailer is making it out that these were problems for her to overcome. That they were trials in her life.

That to me feels like they took the wrong tone for the piece. But it could just be the trailer.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 2:57:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

I mean, if someone were to make a bio of Chairman Mao, and protray all the deaths and suffering, as personal trials for him to overcome, I can imagine it wouldn't be recieved too well either. 

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 2:59:07 PM   
Timon

The Russians were a personal trial for Hitler in Downfall. I'm just saying... that doesn't mean the film was pro-Nazism.

I guess we'll just have to be almost level-headed and wait till we see the film.

No wait, that's not right....

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 3:32:43 PM   
Discodez

That's a poor parallel your drawing there. The tone of Downfall was unambiguous, the clue was in the title. If there's a clue in the title of this Thatcher biopic to it's tone, then "The Iron Lady" will be a love letter to the most politically divisive prime minister this country ever had.

Do you know that she has claimed over half a million pounds in expenses from the British taxpayer since she was booted out by her own party? Tells you everything you need to know about the rancid, money grubbing old shit bag.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 3:46:18 PM   
Timon

quote:

That's a poor parallel your drawing there. The tone of Downfall was unambiguous, the clue was in the title. If there's a clue in the title of this Thatcher biopic to it's tone, then "The Iron Lady" will be a love letter to the most politically divisive prime minister this country ever had.

Do you know that she has claimed over half a million pounds in expenses from the British taxpayer since she was booted out by her own party? Tells you everything you need to know about the rancid, money grubbing old shit bag.

Looking at the film's official synopsis, it states "A look at the life of Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep), the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a focus on the price she paid for power."

While I have not seen the film yet (and neither have you), it doesn't sound like it is "a love letter" anymore than The Queen was for the Royal family (in my opinion). Of course, there are plenty that disagree.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 28
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 3:50:43 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

Looking at the film's official synopsis, it states "A look at the life of Margaret Thatcher (Meryl Streep), the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a focus on the price she paid for power."

While I have not seen the film yet (and neither have you), it doesn't sound like it is "a love letter" anymore than The Queen was for the Royal family (in my opinion). Of course, there are plenty that disagree.

The price she paid for power? What, making herself and her family multi millionaires!

Your not making it any easier for me to look at this film objectively.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Boll**CKs - 15/11/2011 3:51:20 PM   
JIm R

I think we can take a wild guess that the majority of box officve will come from inside the south east because the rest of the country north of watford still feel a awful lot of hatred towards her and the decisions she made.

Try selling this to Sheffield, Liverpool, the North East - no chance of it doing well in these cities, I experienced first hand what she did in the 80's and that trailer mis reads a huge amount of it in how it is (seemingly, given none of us has seen it yet) portraying events of history.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Full Iron Lady Trailer Arrives Online Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI