Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rum Diary - 12/11/2011 12:25:37 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Would be good but... - 12/11/2011 12:25:38 AM   
J_BUltimatum

Yeah would be a really great film... if Johnny Depp wasn't in it. He's played the same character ever since Pirates of the Caribbean came out and it's no longer annoying, more boring. Every time Depp was on screen (a fair chunk of the film funnily enough) I just wanted to slap him with a herring!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
What a Mess - 13/11/2011 1:56:05 PM   
col1234

Apart from a few mildly funny sequences the film just doesn't work and is a total waste of the talent involved.

Post #: 3
RE: What a Mess - 14/11/2011 3:23:00 PM   
BelovedAunt

Saw this at the weekend. Thought it was decent enough. A solid 3 stars plus a bonus star for the stunningly beautiful Amber Heard.

(in reply to col1234)
Post #: 4
Needs to make up it's mind. - 16/11/2011 10:48:01 AM   
Jaalyn

I saw this at the weekend. While I was entertained during certain scenes, I couldn't help feel a bit confused by what was presented. It's not that the story is complicated in any way, it's just that I have no idea what type of film it's trying to be. Is it trying to be a comedy or a serious drama? It seems to lose its way somewhat during the middle and takes a somewhat strange direction in my opinion.

I felt it was a bit too long for a film of this type but it was quite entertaining and worth a watch. I don't think it's a film deserving of 4 stars though Empire.

Post #: 5
RE: The Rum Diary - 21/11/2011 10:40:20 AM   
ChudMonkey

Saw this at the weekend and absolutely loved it. Works as a kind of origin story for Hunter S. Thompson and his various fictionalised aliases and I'd love to watch it as the beginning of a trilogy along with Fear and Loathing and Where The Buffalo Roam. What needs to be remembered is that the source material is a lost novel and never one of his greatest works but I felt Robinson managed sterling work creating a sense of Thompson-esque chaos throughout. Special mention to Giovanni Ribisi who bought a certain Withnail-ness to his role as Moberg.

now lets get on with making Hells Angels.....

4 stars

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 6
'Are they not complimentary?' - 24/11/2011 1:43:14 PM   
Silencer92

A fantastic story of a young journalists struggles, one johnny Depp will be remembered for!

Read my full review of 'The Rum Diary' among others here at
www.stevenstarreviews.blogspot.com

Thank you all!

Post #: 7
Four stars? Seriously?? - 9/12/2011 10:43:22 PM   
TheGodfather

Seen this one in the sneak preview yesterday::

The Rum Diary
The comparisons to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are easily made. Both are film versions of Hunter S. Thompson novels, in both drugs and alcohol play a big role and of course Johnny Depp plays the lead in both of them.
But this can`t even possible stand in the shadow of Gilliam`s mastertrip. It`s extremely overlong, boring and the script is all over the place without anything close to structure to be found.
The only thing that makes it really fall is Depp himself, although it looks more and more like he`s working on the auto pilot.

5,5/10

Post #: 8
Rum Diary - 31/12/2011 6:31:43 PM   
deppfanatic

Hunter's Rum Diary has finally come to light and been made into a masterpiece well that's my opinion anyway, and if your a fan of Johnny Depp/ Hunter S. Thompson's work this is a film definitely for you.

Experience Peurto Rico through the eyes of Paul Kemp an American journalist struggling in the 1950's, who enjoys way to many miniatures and drugs. Enjoy the exotic location of Peurto Rico:
Gorgeous weather,jewel encrusted tortoises , cock fighting, fancy buildings and of course the booze.
But Paul sees something more than money opportunity and paradise but what it really stands for - Poverty, Destruction and Homelessness.

Experience the interesting characters Paul encounters on his journey and unfortunate events which he goes through which are hysterical, Paul is determined to show the truth and ruin Sanderson for what he truly is.

There is only one effect used in the film so don't hope for anything Like Fear and Loathing. That was on a completely different kind of craziness.

Hunter would be proud of the performance and story presented well done Johnny Depp and Bruce Robinson, you've done the film justice.

Tagline: One part outrage. One part justice. Three parts rum. Mix well

Post #: 9
Rum - 10/3/2012 7:55:16 PM   
S. C. Lee

I just watched this film,it was well made with good acting. Depp carried it but it was ultimately pointless. I did enjoy it (while it was on) but looking back it amounted to nothing... there was no story (more of a character piece.)

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 10/3/2012 8:00:05 PM >

Post #: 10
Loved this film - 30/3/2012 2:44:35 PM   
AdamPetrie

I really enjoyed this, even more than fear and loathing. Stuck to hunter's style and vission.Johnny Depp was great, if alittle old to play Kemp. But the film itself was great, almost inspired me to indulge in a few durknen adventures.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Rum Diary Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI