Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ridley Scott Talks New Blade Runner Pic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ridley Scott Talks New Blade Runner Pic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ridley Scott Talks New Blade Runner Pic - 7/11/2011 5:40:30 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
yet another throw away sequel on the back of a classic ... - 7/11/2011 5:40:30 PM   
jodybriggs

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think Blade runner left anything to be said in a sequel. Sure It was an ambiguous ending, Deckard didn't change the world or anything stupid like that, but it wasn't opened ended either. What seems to be happening with this type of thing is the sequel comes out on the back of a classic, ends up being crap, and then recedes into nothing more then a footnote in the history of the original, and god knows Blade Runner has a pretty full history as it is. Even with Scott on board I have very little hope for this. Please Hollywood, come up with something new and leave the classics alone.... Next summer, gone with the wind 2: Rhett's revenge!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 7/11/2011 8:58:23 PM   
emogeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: jodybriggs

Next summer, gone with the wind 2: Rhett's revenge!

Gone With The Wind already has a sequel....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlett_%28novel%29

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to jodybriggs)
Post #: 3
Yawn... - 8/11/2011 9:23:37 AM   
ronniem

Ridley seriously needs to retire or just stick to producing if he's just gonna keep rehashing his old stuff...leave those alone and give us something fresh...

Post #: 4
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 8/11/2011 9:55:45 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think Blade runner left anything to be said in a sequel. Sure It was an ambiguous ending, Deckard didn't change the world or anything stupid like that, but it wasn't opened ended either. What seems to be happening with this type of thing is the sequel comes out on the back of a classic, ends up being crap, and then recedes into nothing more then a footnote in the history of the original, and god knows Blade Runner has a pretty full history as it is. Even with Scott on board I have very little hope for this. Please Hollywood, come up with something new and leave the classics alone.... Next summer, gone with the wind 2: Rhett's revenge!

Got say I agree 100 %.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to jodybriggs)
Post #: 5
Sequel idea - 8/11/2011 1:19:07 PM   
swhib

I thought a cool idea for a sequel would be that Rachel has the ability to give birth (she was the newest replicant with all the latest updates), and she produces a son, the big problem being he has no soul, and it turns out he's rather an unpleasant chap, a Bladerunner posse is formed to hunt him down before he destroys the human race!
You can have that for free Mr Scott.

Post #: 6
RE: Sequel idea - 8/11/2011 11:38:25 PM   
max314

What's the worst that can happen? A shit movie?

Big whup.

If it turns out to be awesome, that'll be...well...awesome.

There's really nothing to lose.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to swhib)
Post #: 7
RE: Sequel idea - 9/11/2011 12:36:09 AM   
jobloffski

Warner Brothers involvement in a sequel bodes very well. Look at what they've allowed Nolan to do in Batman films. Dark isn't the box office poison it was 30 years ago, and if anything, tortured heroes are 'money' right now. Even kids who grew up reading (much more than watching) Harry Potter have their 'hero increasingly put through the wringer, beaten, battered, bruised and mentally tortured for his whole life, wracked with self doubt and desperately wanting to be anyone but himself, to have any life but his own, full of guilt, etc' archetype in place against which heroes who have it easy and kick every ass in sight might seem a little lame. Rick Deckard was simply ahead of his time.

How many other films bombed so badly on release then went on to be regarded as among the best ever made, in any genre? How many films have had 30 years of continuously growing rep?

Total carte blanche with a sequel, original director with his own work to live up to,..Prometheus as a chance to see whether he's still 'got it' for sci fi after all these years, and perhaps even a decision to mount a marketing campaign that promotes what the film actually is, instead of trying to con people into thinking it's out and out action...

Does anybody seriously think anybody involved in trying to get a sequel of the ground wants the film NOT to live up to the original? The money WB is making these days, they can take arisk on the 'prestige' project a sequel needs to be treated as. And since it would come out after The Dark Knight Rises, Superman and The Hobbit (which WB are financing and distributing) another potential behemoth is something they can well afford to get behind. The big 'hero' films previously mentioned will have the 'what am I, what is the point of my existence' stuff attached to what is ostensibly a high concept family movie, so go one one film certificate higher with the content for a BR sequel to allow for a little more brutality, etc, Bob's your uncle. Big money risk films have a good chance of being what the film needs to be rather than what 'the suits' want at the moment, so the time is right to mount the project in a way that would not have been the case previously.

How many films have so much to live up to, and as many people who'll watch even if they're convinced it's going to suck? 30 years of being increasingly considered 'great' at least has the potential to result in something beyond the norm.

So, if it doesn't work, I don't even care. How often does the life of a film nut get even the merest chance to want something to be so good it snaps shut the mouth of everyone who says 'even thinking about this is a mistake'?

Bring it on.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 11/11/2011 9:11:54 AM >

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 8
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 10/11/2011 12:26:55 PM   
silent_tea

quote:

Have to agree here. Hollywood needs new ideas and some fresh new minds, not old directors looking back and thinking 'hmm that could do with a sequel or a prequel'.

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

(in reply to jodybriggs)
Post #: 9
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 10/11/2011 1:27:32 PM   
jobloffski

Hollywood, from day one has looked backwards for ideas, to create the highest potential to maximise earnings, because to go with what is already known is less of a financial risk. Adapting novels and plays, remaking silent films into talkies, spurious remakes in order to retain the rights to a 'property', etc it's always happened.

The amount of money made on the big hits makes it possible for risks to be taken on new ideas, which are always an unknown quantity in the minds of the people who have to supply the cash to make the films, no matter how passionate about the viability of their idea the originator happens to be, so what risks taken are calculated ones, and lower budget ones

This will never, ever change. But the calculated gamble upon splashing out big money for a a more 'known quantity' can allow certain risks to be taken in relative safety (slow films are generally considered fatal to box office, but a sequel to a respected one will be given more leeway in that regard) and if a big enough hit can increase the appetite for stories of that nature, which means there is a potential money stream to tap into, because there is evidence to present to financiers that such properties can be hot. Which is why 'this one's darker than the last' has become the cliche it has in recent years.

I'm not saying any of this is 'right' it's just the reality of it. Money talks, regardless of what money has to say being mostly bullshit.

A blade Runner sequel might end up being bullshit, but again, bring it on, with the technology to create visuals that were never previously possible, a director trusted in a way he wouldn't have been before (and the sense to know how he'll be slaughtered rep wise if he doesn't bring his 'A' game), etc, to make a good film, of a good script, that focuses on humanity/inhumanity over spectacle, without skimping on the look of the film, because what BR has is a look that is unlike anything else, and if it doesn't make jaws drop visually when it comes to a sequel, it's already failed. Bring it on, for me. Nobody else has to watch it if they don't want to.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 11/11/2011 9:15:48 AM >

(in reply to silent_tea)
Post #: 10
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 13/11/2011 10:56:03 PM   
jodybriggs

I know that movie execs just hitch their star to an existing name for a cheap win. I appreciate that this has been happening for years and I know this won't change but whatever your view you have to agree that it's been getting increasingly ridiculous over the last few years. Hollywood seems more soulless then ever before. The worst offender in recent history in my opinion being the reboot of the Spider man series so soon after the last lot. I read the Sony execs reasoning behind doing it in Empire's "ask the boss" feature and it was horrific to read them squirm through a poorly constructed answer instead of shouting "COS WE LOVE MONEY!". Hollywood has considered and green lit everything lately from z list properties like Green hornet to things as unnecessary as a crow reboot, it's insane.

To take green hornet as a example, they made a movie out of a failed comic/TV character from the 50's/60's. If they had asked the general public their opinion on it before production began, I think the main answer would have been; "who the fuck is green hornet, do you mean Green lantern?"

I know people say, "if you don't like it don't watch it" but I personally find it wearying. there's probably casting calls going out for a harry Potter reboot as we speak.

< Message edited by jodybriggs -- 13/11/2011 10:57:58 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 11
RE: yet another throw away sequel on the back of a clas... - 14/11/2011 9:31:50 AM   
jobloffski

I have no problem with a Spidey reboot after 3. It sucked so bad through being overcrowded with storylines and the decision to undermine the reason Parker became Spider-Man by rewriting the origin history re the death of Uncle Ben, that it really had nowhere to go but back to the start. The 3D is a bigger minus for me, but since I'll be seeing it in 2D, 3D is irrelevant to me. I wont be seeing Prometheus in 3D either

Ridley, bring it on! In 2D.

(in reply to jodybriggs)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ridley Scott Talks New Blade Runner Pic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI