Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Today I saw...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Today I saw... Page: <<   < prev  412 413 [414] 415 416   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Today I saw... - 2/11/2012 11:42:43 AM   
jackassfan

Bitter Rice (Riso Amaro) (1949) 9/10
The Mark (1961) 8/10
Company Limited (Seemabaddha) (1974) 8/10
Stress Is Three (Stress-es tres-tres) (1968) 8/10
J Edgar (2011) 5/10
Trishna (20110 5/10

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12391
RE: Today I saw... - 2/11/2012 11:22:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

Rust and Bone (2012) first viewing 9/10

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 12392
RE: Today I saw... - 3/11/2012 10:34:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

Your Sisters Sister (2012) second viewing 8/10

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 12393
RE: Today I saw... - 6/11/2012 12:38:17 PM   
jackassfan

This Is Not A Film (In film nist) (2011) 8.5/10
Late August At Hotel Ozone (Konec srpna v Hotelu Ozon) (1967) 8.5/10
Looper (2012) 7.5/10

Post #: 12394
RE: Today I saw... - 8/11/2012 3:24:58 PM   
jackassfan

With The Girl Of Black Soil (Geomen tangyi sonyeo oi) (2007) 9/10
La Corruzione (1963) 7.5/10

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 12395
RE: Today I saw... - 9/11/2012 3:02:21 AM   
Coyleone

Killer Joe was decent, but it just felt ultimately pointless even though the ending made me laugh out loud. Matthew McConaughey was brilliant in it, but every character was so unlikeable and completely stupid. There were some really good scenes though and some pretty disturbing moments, and the chicken scene was unlike anything I've seen before. Enjoyed it while it lasted, but it's nothing I'd watch again. 6.5/10

The Birds was just brilliant. The way Hitchcock builds the characters up before switching things up into the horror genre (like he did with Psycho) is so effective. The hints at the impending bird attacks are great, seeing birds on the water in the background and the single seagull swooping down at Melanie. When the birds finally start attacking, it's pretty terrifying, especially seeing the child on the floor getting attacked relentlessly and pecked in the head. On paper it sounds pretty silly, but the way it's done is really effective and you know it would be a genuinely horrible predicament to be in not being able to do anything about it. The climbing frame scene is really amazing, and really pretty scary, especially with the children singing in the background. There are some amazing iconic scenes and some amazing camera shots, and the scene were the fire starts and the camera shows the town from above with the birds coming into shot and approaching might be one of the best and most effective scenes I've ever seen. I love the mystery surrounding the birds, why are they gathering there and why are they attacking? We get hints as to why but we're never fully in the know. I love endings where we are completely expected to make up what happens next, and that's exactly what this did. The way Hitchcock managed to make BIRDS into terrifying creatures is really quite amazing. Stunning film. 9/10

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 12396
RE: Today I saw... - 9/11/2012 4:02:56 PM   
Goodfella

Paranormal Activity 4 - 2/5

While others see the Paranormal Activity series as a mixed bag I thoroughly enjoyed the first three and to be frank they did frighten me, with very, very, very few other horror movies achieveing that these days, but this latest instalment clearly shows PA is on it's way out. I'm still impressed by the same old tricks still being able to get the jumps and it keeps you involved but it's predictable now and making less sense, what started out as a non-definitive, realistic and well-acted horror is becoming another churned-out, trying-to-be-more-than-it-is "demonic, psychological horror". It shouldn't have gone that way, it did what the Blair Witch Project did so well, kept it simple, didn't overdo it and it got you believing. If they go for number five I imagine it will lose a star each year.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12397
RE: Today I saw... - 11/11/2012 3:24:31 AM   
Coyleone

The Savages (2007)
A great little overlooked film from '07. Granted it's not as good as other stuff from that year like No Country, Jesse James, There Will Be Blood and Into The Wild, but it was still great. Basically about a Brother and Sister trying to deal with their dying father who they've not seen for years. Phillip Seymour Hoffman has to be one of the best actors working today, I can't think of anyone else that can generate as much sympathy as he does with just one glance or one mannerism. Incredible actor, and Laura Linney is great too. Pretty funny in parts and quite sad. Really glad I watched it. 8/10

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 12398
RE: Today I saw... - 12/11/2012 7:31:35 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

The Cabin In The Woods - 1/5

This was like one of the stories you used to write as a ten year-old in creative writing lessons at school. The teacher would put up six opening sentences on the board and you'd have to pick one and expand on it. That is basically the intelligence that has gone into the script for this film. It was rarely brightened by Josh. That's what I gave it the one star for.
Ill Manors - 5/5
Quite possibly the best British urban film of recent times. Well done Plan B. Beautiful, brutal and realistic. Put Noel Clarke in the shade that's for sure!

I agree Cabin in the Woods thought it was so much smarter than it was yet the 'intelligent' points it raised have been pretty much used and recycled in the 'Scary Movie' films already. Not only that but the Scary Movie films do it more subtly and don't feel the need to mention how clever they are for using movie archetypes..... And the Scary Movie films aren't even clever.
Fair play if you TCITW didn't work for you, but to compare it to Scary Movie is so far off the mark, one is a cheap gross out style film which has no respect for the genre, where as the other is a well crafted, entertaining film which at least plays to its target audience. Also I would love to know what you found subtle about Scary Movie?
Skyfall
It was good in many ways but poor in many others. I expected them to use the Bond girl more if I'm honest and didn't like Bond's lack of interest or care in her. Didn't like Q. Thought Skyfall was going to be something a little more important than it was. Not a lesser Bond but not one of the better ones either.

Keep the Lights On (2012) 6/10
Flakes (2006) first viewing 7/10

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12399
RE: Today I saw... - 12/11/2012 11:18:06 PM   
chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

This was like one of the stories you used to write as a ten year-old in creative writing lessons at school. The teacher would put up six opening sentences on the board and you'd have to pick one and expand on it. That is basically the intelligence that has gone into the script for this film. It was rarely brightened by Josh. That's what I gave it the one star for.
Ill Manors - 5/5
Quite possibly the best British urban film of recent times. Well done Plan B. Beautiful, brutal and realistic. Put Noel Clarke in the shade that's for sure!

I agree Cabin in the Woods thought it was so much smarter than it was yet the 'intelligent' points it raised have been pretty much used and recycled in the 'Scary Movie' films already. Not only that but the Scary Movie films do it more subtly and don't feel the need to mention how clever they are for using movie archetypes..... And the Scary Movie films aren't even clever.
Fair play if you TCITW didn't work for you, but to compare it to Scary Movie is so far off the mark, one is a cheap gross out style film which has no respect for the genre, where as the other is a well crafted, entertaining film which at least plays to its target audience. Also I would love to know what you found subtle about Scary Movie?
Skyfall
It was good in many ways but poor in many others. I expected them to use the Bond girl more if I'm honest and didn't like Bond's lack of interest or care in her. Didn't like Q. Thought Skyfall was going to be something a little more important than it was. Not a lesser Bond but not one of the better ones either.

I don't think Scary Movie is actually subtle, I just said it was in comparison to TCITW which is like saying that McDonalds is healthy in comparison to bleach. My final line did say the Scary Movie films aren't clever.
But despite being dumb parodies the Scary Movie films already pointed out all the stuff raised in TCITW, the difference was they didn't make it a 'twist' which audiences are a sucker for. I love a twist but the one in TCITW seemed more of a cop-out than a twist..... It was just bad. I'd rather watch Scary Movie than TCITW simply because both are shit but one takes itself seriously and the other doesn't.

Talk To Her (2002, Pedro Almodovar)
Like every other Almodovar film I have seen this one is excellently executed but a very disturbing film. Some reviews imply it is a 'light comedy' but I found the film extremely messed up and would not watch it again despite the fact it was clever and shot excellently. Really don't know how to rate this one, I wouldn't recommend it but that's not to say its forgettable or bad.

Post #: 12400
RE: Today I saw... - 13/11/2012 1:58:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

Ill Manors - 5/5

Skyfall

I don't think Scary Movie is actually subtle, I just said it was in comparison to TCITW which is like saying that McDonalds is healthy in comparison to bleach. My final line did say the Scary Movie films aren't clever.
But despite being dumb parodies the Scary Movie films already pointed out all the stuff raised in TCITW, the difference was they didn't make it a 'twist' which audiences are a sucker for. I love a twist but the one in TCITW seemed more of a cop-out than a twist..... It was just bad. I'd rather watch Scary Movie than TCITW simply because both are shit but one takes itself seriously and the other doesn't.

Like every other Almodovar film I have seen this one is excellently executed but a very disturbing film. Some reviews imply it is a 'light comedy' but I found the film extremely messed up and would not watch it again despite the fact it was clever and shot excellently. Really don't know how to rate this one, I wouldn't recommend it but that's not to say its forgettable or bad.

Well I would argue that Cabin doesn't take itself seriously and at least provides its core audience with an entertaining horror comedy, rather than just a collection gags so which have nothing to do with sending up the genre.

Single White Female (1992) 6/10

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12401
RE: Today I saw... - 14/11/2012 3:21:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

The Glass House (2008) 4/10

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12402
RE: Today I saw... - 15/11/2012 2:21:25 AM   
siegfried

quote:

While I don't consider Talk To Her to be Almodovar's best work, for me it certainly ranks in his top five, even if behind All About My Mother, Volver, Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown and Broken Embraces.
It's one of his most mature and thought provoking films, totally original, and one that only Almodovar could have made.
It's a haunting meditation on love, devotion and desire, and no matter how many times I see it - and it definitely requires more than one viewing - I always find something new and fresh in it. As for being disturbing, that's a wrord that could be applied to a couple of Almodovar's films, most notably The Skin I Live In, but definitely not to Talk To her.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12403
RE: Today I saw... - 15/11/2012 1:27:20 PM   
Coyleone

Argo (2012)
Brilliant thriller. One of the best I've seen for a really long time. 9.5/10

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 12404
RE: Today I saw... - 15/11/2012 1:37:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

videodrome(1983)
5/5

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12405
RE: Today I saw... - 15/11/2012 9:52:03 PM   
chambanzi

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

While I don't consider Talk To Her to be Almodovar's best work, for me it certainly ranks in his top five, even if behind All About My Mother, Volver, Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown and Broken Embraces.
It's one of his most mature and thought provoking films, totally original, and one that only Almodovar could have made.
It's a haunting meditation on love, devotion and desire, and no matter how many times I see it - and it definitely requires more than one viewing - I always find something new and fresh in it. As for being disturbing, that's a wrord that could be applied to a couple of Almodovar's films, most notably The Skin I Live In, but definitely not to Talk To her.

I found it completely disturbing and tasteless. I knew what the film was trying to say and I disagreed with it. Funnily enough I found it more sickening than 'The Skin I Live In' possibly because that was a mystery, suspense, bodily horror film and I knew what I was in for. Talk To Her started off like some drama rom-com until three quarters of the way through where it became clear that it was completely screwed up. I pretty much hated the nurse and felt no sympathy for him, complete creep.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 12406
RE: Today I saw... - 17/11/2012 3:07:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

Seven Psychopaths (2012) first viewing 7.5/10

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 12407
RE: Today I saw... - 18/11/2012 1:55:14 AM   
Coyleone

End Of Watch (2012)
Great cop drama, with two brilliant charismatic lead performances. 8/10

Post #: 12408
RE: Today I saw... - 22/11/2012 10:02:28 PM   
ElephantBoy

War Witch (2012) first viewing 8/10

Barbara (2012) first viewing 7.5/10

Hemel (2012) first viewing 7/10

Violence at High Noon (1966) 8/10

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 22/11/2012 10:07:48 PM >

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12409
RE: Today I saw... - 25/11/2012 2:03:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Cosmopolis (2012)

I'm not sure rether I liked it or not, as It seems to be one of those many,many adaptions where you think if there was any point in making it into a motion picture in the first place.
The performances were good,especially Robert Pattinson but the language the characters use,for me,alienated me at times,whereas in Book format you always have that option to retread the Books text-style and notion at your own pace.

So all in all the film achieved two things for me:1. was the performance of Robert Pattinson
and 2.Made me interested in reading the Book.

Post #: 12410
RE: Today I saw... - 27/11/2012 11:23:39 AM   
ElephantBoy

Sightseeers (2012) first viewing 7.5/10

Even the Rain (2012) second viewing 8/10

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 12411
RE: Today I saw... - 28/11/2012 11:36:43 PM   
Powka

The Last Hurrah (1958) - not a bad piece of film with an incredible, as usual, performance from Spencer Tracy. I loved it, and also was surprised to see there is absolutely no discussion on this film on IMDB boards.

quote:

Cosmopolis (2012)

I'm not sure rether I liked it or not, as It seems to be one of those many,many adaptions where you think if there was any point in making it into a motion picture in the first place.
The performances were good,especially Robert Pattinson but the language the characters use,for me,alienated me at times,whereas in Book format you always have that option to retread the Books text-style and notion at your own pace.

So all in all the film achieved two things for me:1. was the performance of Robert Pattinson
and 2.Made me interested in reading the Book.

I also recently watched it and didn't understand this film at all and thought it was a piece of shit that was trying to aim way too high. Pattinson was better than usual though, so gotta give him credit at least.

< Message edited by Powka -- 28/11/2012 11:37:09 PM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 12412
RE: Today I saw... - 30/11/2012 3:01:29 AM   
Coyleone

Alphaville (Godard, 1965)
9.5/10

Wild At Heart (Lynch, 1990)
9/10

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 12413
RE: Today I saw... - 30/11/2012 9:48:28 PM   
Powka

Notorious (1946) - 9/10
Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) - 9/10

About to watch Grave of the Fireflies (1988). My first ever anime, I wonder how it will turn out.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12414
RE: Today I saw... - 1/12/2012 1:12:49 AM   
Coyleone

Blue Velvet (1986)
Fantastic. Like Hitchcock was on drugs. 9.5/10

Beasts Of The Southern Wild (2012)
A special film. Amazing, wonderful, fantastic, mesmerizing. The type of film that makes everything worth it. Movie of the year. 10/10

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 12415
RE: Today I saw... - 1/12/2012 6:48:27 AM   
Powka

quote:

Beasts Of The Southern Wild (2012)
A special film. Amazing, wonderful, fantastic, mesmerizing. The type of film that makes everything worth it. Movie of the year. 10/10

I was thinking of watching this one, but kept putting it off, because it looked like a try to be over-artistic and I thought it will turn out into kind of a boring watch. I guess it's worth a try then.

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12416
RE: Today I saw... - 1/12/2012 3:31:32 PM   
Coyleone

Genuinely loved it. It wasn't until the final 20 minutes or so that it really struck me as something truly great.

Won't be surprised if I liked it more than most though to be honest, similar to The Tree Of Life last year.

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 12417
RE: Today I saw... - 1/12/2012 7:25:12 PM   
Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Genuinely loved it. It wasn't until the final 20 minutes or so that it really struck me as something truly great.

Won't be surprised if I liked it more than most though to be honest, similar to The Tree Of Life last year.

That's exactly what I was afraid of... While Pitt's performance gripped my attention very much, overall, I really hated The Tree of Life. Thanks, Coyleone!

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12418
RE: Today I saw... - 2/12/2012 2:44:53 AM   
Coyleone

No problem. I'd definitely say it's more assessable with more narrative than Tree Of Life. You should give it a go .

One Upon A Time In Anatolia (2012)
Very good film. The basic story consists of a group of characters (group of Police, a Prosecutor, a Doctor) searching for a body in Anatolia in Turkey. I've heard people say it might be the best film of the year, it wasn't that good, but it's a great story and requires a lot of thinking afterwards to fully grasp what happens. Nothing is handed to the viewer, we're expected to figure it out for ourselves. I was baffled by it at first by the ending, but then I remembered little things that happened throughout and you start to piece it together. It's very slow paced, but it's not boring and it's quite gripping. I had no idea what was going to happen which is a plus. It also looks great. I definitely still have tons of questions about it (anyone that's seen it will probably know what I mean), and I didn't really feel any emotion towards any of the characters, but it's amazingly acted and filmed and it's a hell of a lot deeper (the characters and the story) than it appears on the surface. I will say that it's not a film I would watch more than once again due to my enjoyment fading in and out in the last hour or so, but it's in the last hour that things get revealed that give the film it's depth. I'd say it's around a 7/10 for me right now..

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 2/12/2012 2:46:07 AM >

(in reply to Powka)
Post #: 12419
RE: Today I saw... - 2/12/2012 6:18:24 AM   
Powka

The Odd Couple (1968) - 8/10 The tagline says it all: "Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are The Odd Couple...say no more."
Mister Roberts (1955) - 7/10 Not a bad film, expected a little more after reading reviews, but good overall. Jack Lemmon is great.
The Apartment (1960) - 9/10 Very funny and gripping. Lemmon is entertaining as usual.
The Missing (1982) - 8/10 Was very weird to see Lemmon in a serious role after all those quirky parts. One of his absolute bests.

< Message edited by Powka -- 2/12/2012 6:24:57 AM >

Well suck me sideways!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 12420
Page:   <<   < prev  412 413 [414] 415 416   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Today I saw... Page: <<   < prev  412 413 [414] 415 416   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI