The Thing (2011)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Thing (2011) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Thing (2011) - 6/11/2011 1:22:25 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I saw The Thing prequel at the Leeds International Film Festival last night and thought it was a great watch. Perfectly paced and answers all your questions (bar one) as to what happened at the Norwegian oupost. I'm really glad they used subtitles for the Norwegian interaction so it didn't feel too Americanised even with a few American actors thrown in.

The great thing (sorry for the pun) about the film though is the incredible detail the filmmakers went to make the film tie in with the 82 film perfectly. I went home straight after and watched the Carpenter film and was stunned by the little details that the prequel film has picked up on. Both films will sit hand in hand perfectly. The slight downside is that they used mostly CGI for the creature, and although its done incredibly well the original has that special quality that CGI always lacks.

There has been alot of negative comments said about the title too, but for me I think it works (calling it the The Thing). If you think about it, the storyline of both films works as a whole (especially when watched one after another) and answers all the questions from the first film starting at the Norwegian outpost following through to the American outpost.

Apparently the film hasn't done very well in the US so if you're a fan of the 82 film I urge you to go see it and make your own mind up. Oh and watch the Carpenter film within 24 hrs of seeing the prequel!

4 out of 5.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 6/11/2011 1:24:01 PM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5
Post #: 1
RE: The Thing (2011) - 6/11/2011 2:07:46 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I'm still holding out hope for this being a decent creature feature. It was never gonna match Carpenters. Most have written it off without even seeing it which I don't understand. It hardly got slaughtered review wise.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 2
RE: The Thing (2011) - 6/11/2011 4:35:16 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

You're right its not as good as Carpenter's masterpiece but its still a great prequel. Much better than I was expecting and when watched as a double bill (which i did last night when i got home) is brilliant cause Matthijs van Heijningen Jr., the director, is obviously a fan of Carpenter's film and has gone into so much detail to make sure there's continuity.

You have to remember too that the film won't have the suprise factor like the first so it will lose some of the impact that the first film had over the viewer.

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 3
RE: The Thing (2011) - 28/11/2011 5:04:58 AM   
JohnChard

Thanks for this, Mucky.

Big fan of Carpenter and the 82 Thing especially, but I have had no reservations about going to see this because it's a prequel and not a remake. So I'm off to see it Friday lunch time.

Just wanted to chip in and say thanks for posting about it, especially since it's a positive post as well.

Cheers

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

Post #: 4
RE: The Thing (2011) - 28/11/2011 7:50:46 AM   
jonson

Yeah, I concur with the above. Nice to see a positive review. All the bad reviews will be comparisons to the '82 version, which is completely unfair. NOTHING will be as good as Carpenter's, so why compare?
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this now.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 5
RE: The Thing (2011) - 28/11/2011 10:02:21 AM   
NCC1701A

It's an awesome film a bit slow to get going but once it does it's a great thrill ride. Not as good as Carpenter's film but the maker's of this film have done so well with this prequel.

4/5.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 6
RE: The Thing (2011) - 28/11/2011 12:25:30 PM   
ongbakdan

I enjoyed this and like others have said its made me want to watch the original again (tonight!). The effects where decent for mainly CGI and I liked the various designs of 'The Thing'.

I do think there where too many characters and it felt hard to care too much for them. There was not as much tension as the original either, but I think that can be said for a lot of films these days as more and more people are desencitised to shocks and gore, so that shouldnt be a put off.

Clearly a lot of thought had been put into keeping it in tone (etc) with the original and for fans of the superior film, they'll appreciate that. It makes me wonder what a fresh audience will make of it, perhaps not even knowing about the original, after all it is nearly 30 years old?

Overall though I enjoyed it and would give it a strong 3 stars just pushing for 4. Go see it!

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 7
RE: The Thing (2011) - 28/11/2011 8:25:20 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Glad you enjoyed it Dan and I hope you're watching the Carpenter film right now cause you'll pick up on nice touches from the prequel.

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to ongbakdan)
Post #: 8
RE: The Thing (2011) - 29/11/2011 7:55:59 AM   
mackey

I dunno......I found it fairly tedious to be honest. It worked best during the opening 20 minutes or so but after that I struggled to keep interest. I think the main problem for me was that it didn't have any characters I cared about and as a result there was no suspense or tension. I also thought alot of the effects work was poor. As the film is a direct prequel it must be considered with the original in mind. It falls well below the standards of the original in every respect.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

Post #: 9
RE: The Thing (2011) - 29/11/2011 4:52:22 PM   
akivo

As a standalone film this isn't bad at all, but unsurprisingly suffers greatly in comparison with Carpenter's version.

The real downer for me was the effects work. I will never forget seeing Carpenter's version for the first time on TV back in the 80s - I had never seen effects like that and was stunned and horrified. The work in that film still stands up today as a benchmark for quality practical effects and prosthetics. Unfortunately The Thing 2011 relies heavily on CGI for its creature work and in my opinion, while this process is very effective in a fantasy film like Harry Potter or LOTR it takes the viewer out of the film for a horror movie as it looks out of place and unrealistic.

With such great advances in prosthetics and technology it's a pity the film makers decided not to use practical effects for this version.

6/10 for me.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 10
RE: The Thing (2011) - 2/12/2011 2:15:19 PM   
kargon

Pleasntly surprised, i really didnt have any hope for this as Carpenter's movie is possibly my favourite film of all time, but I thought it was quite good, even though there women in it. It was in keeping with the original even if most of it was made up of the exact same lines of dialogue and scenes. Carpenter's id give 5 out of 5, this i'd go as far to give 4 out of 5.

Well worth a watch, dont dismiss it.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to akivo)
Post #: 11
RE: The Thing (2011) - 2/12/2011 2:45:46 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: kargon

Pleasntly surprised, i really didnt have any hope for this as Carpenter's movie is possibly my favourite film of all time, but I thought it was quite good, even though there women in it. It was in keeping with the original even if most of it was made up of the exact same lines of dialogue and scenes. Carpenter's id give 5 out of 5, this i'd go as far to give 4 out of 5.

Well worth a watch, dont dismiss it.

Glad you enjoyed to many people have dismissed it. Agree with your rating for both films.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 12
RE: The Thing (2011) - 5/12/2011 12:42:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

Typical,i havnt been to the cinema in months cos theres nothing interesting on,this is a film im interested in seeing and its playing nowhere near me.The cinemas are just full of Twishite,and 3d kids movies.

Have to wait for the dvd i guess!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 13
RE: The Thing (2011) - 5/12/2011 12:50:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

Not too bad. I think it couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to be a remake or a prequel though, that ending seemed tacked on. As a standalone film, it's good but it should have stayed a remake and shouldn't have tried so hard to tie in Carpenter's film. Also, I actually think you'd be better watching Carpenter's film first. It works better being reminded of the events of Carpenter's film watching this than watching the '82 one first and thinking- 'I already knew that'.

2.5/5.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 5/12/2011 12:54:19 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 14
RE: The Thing (2011) - 5/12/2011 4:46:26 PM   
Scruffybobby

The Thing is fine as it goes, but it's ultimately a little too confused between being a prequel or a remake. There's some effective scenes - like the impromptu dental health checks - but overall there's too many beats that follow Carpenter's film

There's also a lack of any real suspense and an over reliance on "BOO!" type scares (one literal). It's also hard to care about most of the characters given that they're mostly interchangable guys in chunky jumpers and big beards.  Mary Elizabeth Winstead is fine if a little uninspring and Edgerton is again solid but kinda dull

There are some nice nods to the 1982 film - like the final scenes that segue into the opening of the earlier film. Overall though it's just a bit.."meh".

2.5/5

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 5/12/2011 7:34:21 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 15
RE: The Thing (2011) - 5/12/2011 8:55:16 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Is it made clear whether the parasites actually designed and built the ship (if they can morph and have digits or use tentacles) or do they simply acquire knowledge through 'assimilating' other species?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Thing (2011) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI