Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn Should Sit Down And Shut Up.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn Should Sit Down And Shut Up. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:40:28 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Was this thread on Empire? Am I being thick and missed a link?

Timon posted it covertly in the Fanboy Anatomy post. Here it is:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=692463&

Jack of Blades, what a legend. nicholsonsmhead's quips are pretty classic too.

Also, Timon's misspelling "compotent" made me laugh.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 31
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:44:02 PM   
Coyleone

Fanboys gonna' fanboy.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 32
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:47:44 PM   
matty_b

Oh dear.

Those were the days...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 33
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:50:11 PM   
Hood_Man

Woah, there's some "real toys thrown out of pram" behaviour going on in that thread And I've only reached page 5!!

I suppose I can understand the reaction though, at that point in time we didn't know how the Joker was going to be interpreted so a lot of people probably saw a pretty blonde Australian guy going up against one of the darkest comic book heroes. Similarly I suppose to how people would have reacted to Jackman as Wolverine before they saw him. Behind the scenes the production crew are doing all the makeup tests, script readings, auditions etc. Outside in the real world, we see a picture and have to use our imaginations.

I don't necessarily agree with them, and I'm not justifying it, just saying I understand why.

I can't honestly remember what my feelings were in that thread, or if I even posted in it, but I know in the past I've posted negatively about an upcoming film, whether it's casting or anything else, and then been proven completely and utterly wrong. I even recall thinking the Tumbler looked stupid in a "leaked" photo back in 2004 Now I want one!

These days I guess I just have a bit more faith in the filmmakers choice. After all, these actors would have auditioned for the role, it's not just pulled out of thin air.

I loved Sharky's comment though:

quote:

Most ironic to me is the wailing from this group for studios that dare to suggest a slightly different origin story for their heroes or deviate slightly from their costume designs, then the same group runs out and buys every retconned storyline the comics throw at them.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 34
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:50:48 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Leaning to the right a bit there.

Or possibly squashed to the right.

You'll probably find it's his Mum's wig.

Cracking thread you unearthed there Ti, a few people with eggs on their faces and a few people who made some very good posts.
As I'm not particularly a fanboy (the only time I vaguely veered that way was when I had the Crystal Skull countdown in "my favourites" and then nearly cried in front of the kids when I left the cinema ) I can't get too fussed really.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 35
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 4:56:20 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Woah, there's some "real toys thrown out of pram" behaviour going on in that thread And I've only reached page 5!!

I suppose I can understand the reaction though, at that point in time we didn't know how the Joker was going to be interpreted so a lot of people probably saw a pretty blonde Australian guy going up against one of the darkest comic book heroes. Similarly I suppose to how people would have reacted to Jackman as Wolverine before they saw him. Behind the scenes the production crew are doing all the makeup tests, script readings, auditions etc. Outside in the real world, we see a picture and have to use our imaginations.

The thing with Jackman was that he was virtually unknown in film terms, so no one really had any preconceptions of him to be outraged about. It was only when those awful-looking photos of the entire cast came out that the fanboys went nuclear.

Great post, BTW.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 36
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 4/11/2011 5:59:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Leaning to the right a bit there.

Or possibly squashed to the right.

You'll probably find it's his Mum's wig.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 37
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 6:19:56 PM   
Tech_Noir

Can we add Indy 4 and Marion.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 38
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 6:36:48 PM   
matty_b

Did they demand she came back?

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 39
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 6:39:17 PM   
Tech_Noir

People love Raiders. there had to be a connection.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 40
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 7:53:30 PM   
Titanm21

Four Words. Snakes... on... a... Plane!

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 41
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 8:14:25 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

Nah, that was a great idea for a B-movie but the studio didn't have a clue how to make it (They were going to retitle it Pacific Air Flight 121 at one point ). If they did they wouldn't have listened to the internet fans in the first place.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 42
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 9:20:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

Nah, that was a great idea for a B-movie but the studio didn't have a clue how to make it (They were going to retitle it Pacific Air Flight 121 at one point ). If they did they wouldn't have listened to the internet fans in the first place.

The problem with that one, was the meme was far far funnier than the movie. And really, the movie had no excuse as being as average as it was.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 43
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 9:22:42 PM   
matty_b

The movie was so desperate to be a cult movie that the strain was palpable on screen. "LOOK! WE'RE BEING WACKY AND CULTY!".

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 4/11/2011 10:41:55 PM   
silent_tea

Im starting a campaign to get George Lucas to put alot more Boba Fett in the re release 3D Phantom Menace!

Who's with me?

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 45
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 5/11/2011 6:48:46 AM   
threshold

quote:

ORIGINAL: silent_tea

Im starting a campaign to get George Lucas to put alot more Boba Fett in the re release 3D Phantom Menace!

Who's with me?

Hoping, hoping this is irony...

(in reply to silent_tea)
Post #: 46
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 8:55:38 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I'm pretty sure the Arnie thing was going to be in there anyways. Wasn't needed, I agree.

I am not saying Terminator Salvation would have been a better movie if they kept the ending, but it would have been a more interesting film, and one we would likely still be debating. It is actully pretty well directed, and has some good action scenes. McG hardly screwed the pooch in that sense. It is just the film lost all the juice that made its creation worthwhile.

The fact it was edited within an inch of it's life in post didn't help either.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 47
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 9:39:15 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think if we extend this to tv then it is essential that networks/ studios listen to their fan(boy)s as they use fan feedback to see if certain aspects are working. Take lost for example and the nikki and paolo debacle. If the makers hadnt listened to fans we wouldve been saddled with two sucky and unecessary characters for a lot longer. This is just one small example. With regard to movies its hard to say as i dont consider mysekf a fanboy of any particular property so im struggling to think of examples

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 48
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 9:58:25 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think if we extend this to tv then it is essential that networks/ studios listen to their fan(boy)s as they use fan feedback to see if certain aspects are working. Take lost for example and the nikki and paolo debacle. If the makers hadnt listened to fans we wouldve been saddled with two sucky and unecessary characters for a lot longer. This is just one small example. With regard to movies its hard to say as i dont consider mysekf a fanboy of any particular property so im struggling to think of examples

They were in it for one episode and immediately died. I don't think there was a risk of them becoming regulars.

I think it's even more essential in TV shows. By suggesting possible routes and storylines, fanboys are essentially hijacking the creative process of the production team - although someone should have told the Lost team to ease up on the timetravel malarky....

I also can't help but think that fanboys can keep shows going long after they should have been given a decent finale - such as Chuck. This whole new season seems completely uncalled for.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 49
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 10:01:44 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

No timon they were not. They were in several episodes of season 3. Sounds like you may need to rewatch it to refresh your memory. The creators went on record saying that they had intended them to become regular characters but due to the fan reaction, they killed them off. This is an established fact. They certainly were not in just one episode!! Lol

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 12:16:28 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Was this thread on Empire? Am I being thick and missed a link?

Timon posted it covertly in the Fanboy Anatomy post. Here it is:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=692463&

Jack of Blades, what a legend. nicholsonsmhead's quips are pretty classic too.

Also, Timon's misspelling "compotent" made me laugh.

Great thread. Jack of Blades redeemed himself a little with this though from this thread - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=109885&mpage=231&key=&NID=0#1971937

quote:

Some of you may remember me. Some of you may not. It doesn't matter.

I have a confession to make. I doubted Heath Ledger's ability to portray The Joker. I was, as anyone who has watched The Dark Knight will testify to, talking out of my ass.

Although I never dismissed his tremendous talent, I just couldn't correlate the reality of Heath as The Joker. In watching him bounce from scene to scene (licking his lips all the way), I truly came to understand the folly of my complaints and regret my ignorance.

His performance was/is masterful. Despite the erraticism of his person, it's clear that every twitch of the tongue, every roll of the eyes was a controlled and deliberate action by a man perfect for the role.

I was wrong. Very wrong.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 51
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 12:28:41 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

No timon they were not. They were in several episodes of season 3. Sounds like you may need to rewatch it to refresh your memory. The creators went on record saying that they had intended them to become regular characters but due to the fan reaction, they killed them off. This is an established fact. They certainly were not in just one episode!! Lol

I hated how they showed up in season 3 and all the characters were all "hey, Nikki and Paulo who been here since the crash. Honest."

It just felt a bit disingenuous.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 52
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 3:58:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

They were in it for one episode and immediately died. I don't think there was a risk of them becoming regulars.

I think it's even more essential in TV shows. By suggesting possible routes and storylines, fanboys are essentially hijacking the creative process of the production team - although someone should have told the Lost team to ease up on the timetravel malarky....

I also can't help but think that fanboys can keep shows going long after they should have been given a decent finale - such as Chuck. This whole new season seems completely uncalled for.

I actully think the reason that nearly every show which comes to a natural end gets slammed by fanboys is because it isn't the ending they wanted, as opposed to a failure of the production crew and writers. BSG for example tied everything up as far as it was willing too, but because some fanboys had an idea of what they wanted out of it, due to years of speculation, it gets called the worst thing ever, when it was far from that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 4:12:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

I actully think the reason that nearly every show which comes to a natural end gets slammed by fanboys is because it isn't the ending they wanted, as opposed to a failure of the production crew and writers. BSG for example tied everything up as far as it was willing too, but because some fanboys had an idea of what they wanted out of it, due to years of speculation, it gets called the worst thing ever, when it was far from that.

True, and also a lot of fanboys are monumentally thick - I still remember some of the frothing online rage directed towards the final episode of Lost by idiots who quite clearly didn't even get what had happened.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 54
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 7:53:36 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

GTFO. seriously BSG finale gets stick?....I LOVE the ending and for me its...well, perfect.

I actually just assumed everyone thought the same

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 55
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 9:41:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

I dunno,fanboys should be listened to to a certain extent.Christian Bale had long been mooted by fanboys as their ideal Batman long before he was cast.

Then again quite a few fanboys were up in arms when Heath Ledger got cast as The Joker(understandable though he was hardly seen as ideal for the role given his pin up good looks) and turned out to be the one of the best screen villians ever.

As far as Star Trek is concerned,quite a few fanboys have rightly carped about the design of engineering on the new enterprise(it does look like a budweiser factory because,well,it was!).Hope they get that fixed for the sequel.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 56
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 17/11/2011 10:21:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

GTFO. seriously BSG finale gets stick?....I LOVE the ending and for me its...well, perfect.

I actually just assumed everyone thought the same

I've heard a lot, A LOT, of complaints towards it. Not me though, I cried.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 57
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 18/11/2011 11:30:57 AM   
Discodez

Trouble is that listening to Fan(boy)s havs always been part of the Hollywood production process. Producers might scour the internet these days for ideas or to gauge the feelings of the movie going public, but that's something producers have always done with test screenings and focus groups. It's up to directors to fight their corner and fight to get their original vision up on screen.

I don't know if there any examples of where changes made after a test screening or whatever have ever "improved" a film though, so you think they'd have learned that lesson by now.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys - Who In Turn ... - 18/11/2011 11:43:04 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

I don't know if there any examples of where changes made after a test screening or whatever have ever "improved" a film though, so you think they'd have learned that lesson by now.

Wilder changed the opening section of Sunset Boulevard following a test screening, in turn giving us one of the most iconic and lasting introductions to a film.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 59
RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn S... - 18/11/2011 11:51:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I dunno,fanboys should be listened to to a certain extent.Christian Bale had long been mooted by fanboys as their ideal Batman long before he was cast.

Then again quite a few fanboys were up in arms when Heath Ledger got cast as The Joker(understandable though he was hardly seen as ideal for the role given his pin up good looks) and turned out to be the one of the best screen villians ever.

As far as Star Trek is concerned,quite a few fanboys have rightly carped about the design of engineering on the new enterprise(it does look like a budweiser factory because,well,it was!).Hope they get that fixed for the sequel.

Christian Bale would have been on the list regardless of fanboys. American Psycho would have put him there, as well as the fact he wouldn't cost much and had shown he was a great actor.

As for Star Trek - who cared apart from the fanboys about that point? I love Trek, and I honestly don't get what the big deal was with that set. Sure it was bigger than what we had seen before, but if it was a deal breaker for people I honestly don't know what to say. And again, Abrams didn't listen to the fanboys and created the most fun and successful Trek in years.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Studios Should Not Listen To Fanboys. Who In Turn Should Sit Down And Shut Up. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI