Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Machine Gun Preacher - 2/11/2011 5:09:38 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 8/11/2011 7:41:24 PM   
artilleryman

It's one of the great mysteries of the last few years as to just how Butler has managed to blag himself an A-List (ish) career on pretty much the minimal of talent....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 9/11/2011 11:00:38 AM   
brucejackiejet

Saw it this week and was pleasantly surprised. From the ridiculous title I was expecting some sort of no-brains actioner (the trailer didn't help either) and instead found something much better. Having said that, I think there's a good chance that the aforementioned marketing may help to confuse quite a few people's expectations and no doubt lead to a few disappointed cinemagoers.

As for the film itself, I thought Butler was solid in the role, doing a good job at being both menacing and driven as he battled with his own inner rage. The story itself was also pretty good, and the attrocities committed against the people of Sudan came across as suitably horrific enough that I certainly had no problem seeing Childer's viewpoint on the whole 'end justifies the means' thing. In fact in that regard, I also thought the real life footage of Childer was very powerful, especially his comments about what we'd do if one of our own family members was kidnapped. Maybe it is a cliche, but personally at the end of the film I was interested to see what the man himself looked like and had to say.

I thought the performances from the rest of the cast were pretty convincing, the landscape was well contrasted between Africa and the US, and the action was realistically played out.

Overall for me it was good, not amazing but solid entertainment. Not really sure what else the reviewer was expecting/looking for from the film. He says it could have been 'so much more' but doesn't really go into any specifics so it's hard to know what else he wanted.  

< Message edited by brucejackiejet -- 9/11/2011 11:02:56 AM >

(in reply to artilleryman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Machine Gun Preacher Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI