Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
[Poll]

Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

The Penalty (Worsley, 1920)
  9% (3)
The Music Box (Parrot, 1932)
  6% (2)
An American in Paris (Minnelli, 1951)
  0% (0)
Bonnie and Clyde (Penn, 1967)
  9% (3)
Marketa Lazarova (Vlacil, 1967)
  3% (1)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
  12% (4)
Requiem for a Village (Gladwell, 1975)
  3% (1)
Wise Blood (Huston, 1979)
  3% (1)
Das Boot (Peterson, 1981)
  25% (8)
Underground (Kusturica, 1995)
  0% (0)
The Room (Wiseau, 2003)
  3% (1)
Downfall (Hirschbiegel, 2004)
  12% (4)
United 93 (Greengrass, 2006)
  12% (4)

Total Votes : 32

(last vote on : 15/4/2012 7:28:34 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 11:56:11 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Paul will be lucky to get out of this HoF alive. And he'll deserve every pitchfork prod too!

Well, the rules do state:
quote:

ACCEPTABLE FILMS:

The whole point of this Hall of Fame is to provide an ongoing list of high quality that has been selected and voted upon with freedom of thought. There is not any reason why somebody can not choose any film that they wish; be it Citizen Kane or Howard The Duck! Council members are invited to join from all across the forum because we were looking for this diversity of choice. If one of member feels that a film is worth a place in the Hall of Fame then all Council members must at least have the courtesy and humility to give it as much benefit of doubt as they would give any other film. Ultimately, it is the council's job to whittle down the great from the good from the bad and the voting procedures (as well as intelligent debate) will do this.

So if Paul thought it was a worthy film we have to watch it. Personally its by far and away the poorest film I've ever seen. And not even in a I've had a few beers, this is on TV and I can't be bothered to turn over way. But in a way that was as physically painful as Gimli found to have to sit through it.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/11/2011 11:59:30 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 121
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 12:07:40 PM   
elab49

Oh that rule. Thanks to that I've had to sit through Annie Hall and Before Sunset.

Mmmmm - better/worse than The Room?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 122
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 1:24:56 PM   
elab49

I bet you're all waiting in a massive Lovefilm queue for Requiem for a Village.

On Blockbuster however you could just stroll right in and top ticket it

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 1:59:38 PM   
Rebel scum

SPOILERS! LOTS OF 'EM!

Underground-Very, very good, and likely to be high up on my list. My only quibble is that the third "chapter", good as it is, felt unnecessary and almost of the "rocks fall, everyone dies" variety. I think if the second section had given Marko a "my god, what have I done" scene, had him go up in the explosion, and had Blacky drown looking for Johan, the ending would have been just as powerful. I guess it wouldn't fit the metaphor for Yugoslavia thing they had going though, and it didn't detract too much from the brilliance of everything else.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 124
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 6:39:25 PM   
Rebel scum

United 93-The stuff aboard United 93 is good, but I was surprised at how much of the running time is given over to everyone tracking another flight. It may have been related to the events that occurred on Flight 93, and it obviously actually happened, but it did detract from the drama. Some of the cast's inexperience does shine through a bit as well; some of the people at the various air traffic controls are a bit wooden.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 125
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:02:47 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Put it this way, when I nominate a LOTR film I'm stating it's the extended cut

Personally, I massively prefer the theatrical cut of Fellowship to the extended. The others are a bit closer, but I would generally go for the theatrical by choice.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 126
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:05:03 PM   
MonsterCat

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I can't seem to find the deadline for the first set of votes.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 127
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:05:40 PM   
Rebel scum

8th Jan, I think.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 128
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:07:47 PM   
TRM

I will edit it into the first post, but yes it is the 8th jan. Since were giving everyone an extra week on this one for the christmas period, we really dont want to have to give any extensions, so please let us know asap if you are having some trouble to finish in time/get hold of the films

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 129
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:18:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

United 93-The stuff aboard United 93 is good, but I was surprised at how much of the running time is given over to everyone tracking another flight. It may have been related to the events that occurred on Flight 93, and it obviously actually happened, but it did detract from the drama. Some of the cast's inexperience does shine through a bit as well; some of the people at the various air traffic controls are a bit wooden.

Just caught up with this one. I found it quite powerful when I first saw it, but then I'd put it off for a while because I really thought it would be emotionally draining. Second viewing removes me from that and I'm sorry to say now I see it more as a really good TV movie, than a powerful film. It has some obvious flaws. Take away the subject matter and its actually quite average.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 130
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 8:53:01 PM   
jiraffejustin

I found Marketa Lazarova on Youtube, if anybody needs a link I can PM I guess.

Post #: 131
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 9:12:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I picked up Wise Blood this evening. A Huston film and one I didnt even know about. I'm excited. Won't get to see it until next week though :-(

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 132
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 10:45:39 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Why would you watch something like Marketa on youtube
I missed it in the cinemas last year
Also, apparently it's coming out on Blu in a month, so the timing is either really appropriate or inappropriate, depending on how quickly people would be able to acquire that.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 3/11/2011 10:47:18 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 133
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 12:21:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Put it this way, when I nominate a LOTR film I'm stating it's the extended cut

Personally, I massively prefer the theatrical cut of Fellowship to the extended. The others are a bit closer, but I would generally go for the theatrical by choice.

Ok, I'll say people should watch whichever version they're most likely to vote for

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 134
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 12:59:17 AM   
jiraffejustin

I don't know anything about Marketa...soooo I couldn't say.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 135
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 1:10:31 AM   
Rebel scum

Marketa Lazarova-Well, it looked gorgeous and the soundtrack was wonderful, but I found it fairly tricky to follow. While it's not a film about plot or characters, scenes that are asking me to care about people who've had maybe ten lines work badly. Certain individual scenes did stand out as some of the best in the round, but overall it was fairly disappointing. Also, everything I've read about it claims it's an examination of the Christianity/paganism clash, but I'll be buggered if I can work out how. Time permitting, a rewatch may be in order so I can work out what the film's on about.

Post #: 136
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 7:41:14 AM   
jiraffejustin

Downfall - Yes, I knew the ending. No, it didn't take anything away from the experience. Bruno Ganz deserves all the praise he receives for his role as Hitler.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 137
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 9:08:26 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Just caught up with this one. I found it quite powerful when I first saw it, but then I'd put it off for a while because I really thought it would be emotionally draining. Second viewing removes me from that and I'm sorry to say now I see it more as a really good TV movie, than a powerful film. It has some obvious flaws. Take away the subject matter and its actually quite average.

I would disagree with that. I think Greengrass handles the scenes on the ground really well, with a genuine sense of rising panic - and casting the real life people involved helps a great deal. I'd also disagree that if you take away the subject matter and it's quite average - you could say that about a lot of films and I don't think it's particularly true.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 138
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 9:45:37 AM   
Deviation

The Underground love made me happy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 139
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:17:56 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

I would disagree with that. I think Greengrass handles the scenes on the ground really well, with a genuine sense of rising panic - and casting the real life people involved helps a great deal. I'd also disagree that if you take away the subject matter and it's quite average - you could say that about a lot of films and I don't think it's particularly true.

I found that the ground scenes were decent, and there is the sense of rising panic, my issue was that it removes the focus from Flight 93 itself. The first half has probably about 5 minutes of stuff on board United 93, and the rest is spent on the ground following a different plane. Even in the second half, there's cuts to people on the ground panicking that interrupt tense moments on the flight and are pretty extraneous. If the film was advertised as being about 9/11 as a whole, I'd probably not be too fussed, but to claim it's about United 93 and then to ignore it for most of the film is a real problem, I think.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 140
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:36:24 AM   
matty_b

Again, I would disagree, I think Greengrass gets the balance just right.

There's that horrible and hugely effective moment where you realise the film hasn't cut back to what's happening on the ground for a while and the film is now staying on the plane until the end.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 141
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:42:17 AM   
rawlinson

I actually think it's the most disappointing Greengrass film because I didn't find myself caring about anything that was going on. The guy can do real life tragedy, Bloody Sunday is an incredible film, but I found very little in United 93 beyond thinking I should care more because of the subject matter. I'm hoping the rewatch will improve it somewhat.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 142
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:45:33 AM   
matty_b

Hm, interesting, I haven't seen Bloody Sunday, how "dramatic" is it? Because I would say the thing about United 93 is that it's very matter of fact and I suppose dispassionate in a way.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 143
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:49:27 AM   
elab49

Matty, how do you feel about the way the good old US performers improved their way to heroism but poor old johnny foreigner is a bit of a coward? I know it's received wider criticism for that now, but I'd say that's because it's pretty obvious on screen. Reading later about how the passengers all improved their characters (so all very hagiographic - such a problem with the entire improv process generally, IMO, you end up with pretty crap scripts unless it's properly controlled by someone who can actually write and controls the egos better). But it came across as them all heroic and shit apart from the foreigner. Bad taste in mouth, no? 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 144
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:51:07 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, that is jarring. I always thought it a bit strange that got through the editing process, really. It's a flaw, undeniably, but not enough of a one to sink the film for me.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 145
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:53:43 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Hm, interesting, I haven't seen Bloody Sunday, how "dramatic" is it? Because I would say the thing about United 93 is that it's very matter of fact and I suppose dispassionate in a way.

It's very documentary-like. What it does have that United 93 doesn't is an absolutely astonishing piece of acting anchoring the whole thing. Jimmy Nesbitt should have won the Oscar that year, and there was a lot of pressure to get Bloody Sunday nominated but it wasn't eligible because it was made for t.v.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 146
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 10:56:09 AM   
elab49

I'd say matter of fact applies to Bloody Sunday too - part of the reason I was so disappointed with U93 is that superficially it is a similar approach and I was expecting a similar quality of film and of engagement. But it just failed in all aspects. Bloody SUnday however is massively affecting and brilliantly put together. 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 147
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 11:00:19 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

Matty, how do you feel about the way the good old US performers improved their way to heroism but poor old johnny foreigner is a bit of a coward?

Regarding this, it's worth pointing out that while it might seem insane now, official policy on all airlines prior to 9/11 was that passengers should not interfere if there is a hijacking, under the assumption that if the hijackers intended to blow up the plane they'd have already done so, and dealing with hijackers should be left to professionals. I do agree that there should have been more than one person against the plan, or that he'd have wised up after learning that the plans hit the WTC.

And regarding the balance between stuff on the ground and in the air, it just didn't sit well with me. It's things like a five-minute cutaway to people finding out about the Rules of Engagement and trying to find a military liason slap bang in the middle of the scenes after the plane's been taken over, and it dilutes the impact.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 148
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 11:38:37 AM   
MonsterCat

Finally, somebody said something positive about my nomination.

I'm watching Downfall tonight. This and Das Boot are the ones I'm really itching to watch.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 149
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 4/11/2011 11:47:06 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Bonnie and Clyde. My mother has almost no view on films at all. Apart from she cries when Carve Her Name in Pride is on (but don't we all), loves Dr Zhivago (but its too long really) and tells me how disappointed she was when she saw B&C at the cinema because it was meant to be the best film ever. So every time this is on I can't help thinking "What were you on woman!".

I like the film. I don't think its the best of its type - step forward Badlands. And I think morally you could argue about the glorification of the Parker team, even if they do get what's coming to them. But its a film I enjoy, particularly Michael J. Pollard's CW Moss.

EDIT: This always happens to me. I watch B&C and I have a massive hankering to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 4/11/2011 11:49:05 AM >

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI