Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
[Poll]

Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

The Penalty (Worsley, 1920)
  9% (3)
The Music Box (Parrot, 1932)
  6% (2)
An American in Paris (Minnelli, 1951)
  0% (0)
Bonnie and Clyde (Penn, 1967)
  9% (3)
Marketa Lazarova (Vlacil, 1967)
  3% (1)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
  12% (4)
Requiem for a Village (Gladwell, 1975)
  3% (1)
Wise Blood (Huston, 1979)
  3% (1)
Das Boot (Peterson, 1981)
  25% (8)
Underground (Kusturica, 1995)
  0% (0)
The Room (Wiseau, 2003)
  3% (1)
Downfall (Hirschbiegel, 2004)
  12% (4)
United 93 (Greengrass, 2006)
  12% (4)

Total Votes : 32

(last vote on : 15/4/2012 7:28:34 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 2:03:52 PM   
elab49

I'd go with Underworld. (Criterion I know, but I've just found it on youtube as well).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 91
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 2:06:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Does this outpouring of love for silent movies and HoF long film nominations mean that I can happily stick in Gance's Napoleon next round

I'll put forward Dr. Mabuse the Gambler.

I thought it had already been in. But I can only find Dr Strangelove and a Dr Mullholland

I've got it at home. Never seen it though :-(

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 92
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 2:12:08 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd go with Underworld. (Criterion I know, but I've just found it on youtube as well).

It would be worth it though, it's a lovely Collection.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 93
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 2:13:20 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

It would be worth it though, it's a lovely Collection.

With the gorgeous plus of Docks of New York (which was quite high in my visuals list).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 94
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 8:04:22 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm about half way through The Room. It is un-fucking-believable.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 95
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 8:50:23 PM   
Rebel scum

Das Boot-It was pretty good, with one of the cruellest endings I've ever seen. The only flaw I can think of is that even for a 3 1/2 hour long film, I felt there were gaps in the relationship of some characters, like when the lieutenant promises to deliver some letters for a random bloke I didn't recognise at all. Also, the majority of the crew on the boat were just that, and never really became characters. I think there's a 5 hour cut, and that sounds like a version I'd like to check out, it'd probably improve the film for me. Still, if my main complaint about a film is that I want more of it, that's a mark of a good film.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 96
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 9:15:42 PM   
MonsterCat

Just finished The Room.

That was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had watching a film. Not even entertainingly bad in a Plan 9 From Outer Space kinda way.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/11/2011 9:16:58 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 97
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 9:20:55 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Just finished The Room.

That was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had watching a film. Not even entertainingly bad in a Plan 9 From Outer Space kinda way.

I'm leaving it until last, it really is utter shit.

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 98
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 9:25:39 PM   
jiraffejustin

Don't watch it alone! Get a buddy to watch it with you. I am not saying it shouldn't be your last place film, but at least try to get some enjoyment out of it.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 99
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 9:28:50 PM   
impqueen

I've seen it before and I have no desire at all to watch it again. 

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/11/2011 9:29:11 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to jiraffejustin)
Post #: 100
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 12:00:56 AM   
TRM

quote:

Does this outpouring of love for silent movies and HoF long film nominations mean that I can happily stick in Gance's Napoleon next round

I have been hoping for a R2 of La Roue for at least a year now so that I can enter it. Would you really want to nominate Napoleon at the moment while it looks like there could be a restored print with new score coming soon?

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 101
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 1:58:58 AM   
paul_ie86

You'll all still ironically put The Room at the top of your lists though right? RIGHT?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 102
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 8:27:16 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

You'll all still ironically put The Room at the top of your lists though right? RIGHT?

I wanted to like it but it was just so boring and bad. In fact, it was offensively bad. There were moments in that film that were almost unconscionable.

Sorry, Paul.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 2/11/2011 8:29:24 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 103
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 8:59:45 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, as entertaining as Wiseau's performane is, it is just a terrible, terrible, terrible film. Even ironically I can't love it.

quote:

Das Boot-It was pretty good, with one of the cruellest endings I've ever seen. The only flaw I can think of is that even for a 3 1/2 hour long film, I felt there were gaps in the relationship of some characters, like when the lieutenant promises to deliver some letters for a random bloke I didn't recognise at all. Also, the majority of the crew on the boat were just that, and never really became characters. I think there's a 5 hour cut, and that sounds like a version I'd like to check out, it'd probably improve the film for me. Still, if my main complaint about a film is that I want more of it, that's a mark of a good film.

Yeah, I would generally err on the side of watching the longest version you possibly can. Although considering the length of some of the other films in this round, I can understand why that's a bit daunting!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 104
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 2:05:12 PM   
Deviation

Just make sure to watch Underground, it is incredible. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 105
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 2:34:55 PM   
Rebel scum

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Bonnie and Clyde-Picks up after a terrible first ten minutes that ask us to accept that Bonnie goes from "Who are you you mental bastard" to "Have my babies you wonderful man" like the flick of a switch. The arrival of Gene Hackman makes the film infinitely better, and the film suffers when he exits. It's a very good film, but that might not be enough considering how strong this round has been so far.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 106
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 7:33:50 PM   
jiraffejustin

The Penalty - Awesome. I am really glad I am participating in the round, because if I wasn't I probably would never have seen this beauty. Lon Chaney is Satan, and I mean that in the best possible way.

The Music Box - I'm not much of a Laurel & Hardy fan, but this had a couple of laughs, but not really HOF worthy.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 107
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 7:47:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

The Penalty - Awesome. I am really glad I am participating in the round, because if I wasn't I probably would never have seen this beauty. Lon Chaney is Satan, and I mean that in the best possible way.

So pleased people are enjoying Chaney. Really couldn't care less if The Penalty wins, loses or draws now that I've managed to draw attention to his phenomenal on-screen presence to some new viewers. Having said that, there are some great films in this round, but I truly believe that the HoF wouldn't be complete without one of the very best actors ever to have gone before a camera.

The Room. Ummm my granny once said if you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything at all so I best not say any more. I watched it because it is nominated, if it hadn't have been it would have been turned off within a minute. I don't think I'll be getting that hour and a half of my life back

Higher hopes for The Last Picture Show, because I've just turned off the football to give it a first, and it feels very long overdue, viewing. Half an hour in and I've realised that the broken American Dream (The Grapes of Wrath, The Hustler, Sweet Smell of Success and maybe even something like Asphalt Jungle) is one of my favourite themes. Is TLPS the best of these so far? I don't think so. Is it a hypnotically beautiful film and well deserving of a nomination? Definitely.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 2/11/2011 8:18:05 PM >

Post #: 108
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 8:39:44 PM   
Olaf

watching The Room on your own = you're doing it wrong.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 109
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 8:48:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think it was already 1 viewer already. Sorry if I don't get it, but its tosh. And it might be mildly amusing if you've had a few and it just comes on TV and you are laughing at it with a few friends, but I suspect even that appeal is less than 5 minutes.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 110
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 2/11/2011 10:53:31 PM   
TRM

quote:

Higher hopes for The Last Picture Show, because I've just turned off the football to give it a first, and it feels very long overdue, viewing. Half an hour in and I've realised that the broken American Dream (The Grapes of Wrath, The Hustler, Sweet Smell of Success and maybe even something like Asphalt Jungle) is one of my favourite themes. Is TLPS the best of these so far? I don't think so. Is it a hypnotically beautiful film and well deserving of a nomination? Definitely.

Its a theme I am very much a fan of as well Did it pick up a little by the end for you?

I havent watched your nom yet, but you can add me to the people who are really happy to see it in there. I watched He Who Gets Slapped last year, and even though it doesnt sound like one of his most gruelling characters, it was still amazing to see how much he put into it. So I had been wanting to see some of his other roles.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

Post #: 111
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 5:08:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Just wondering about Das Boot, is there any particular cut we're all going for? It might be unfair if we all voted based on different versions.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 112
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:40:00 AM   
jiraffejustin

I don't know about everybody else, but I am going to be watching the TV series version. I like watching the versions with the most possible content.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 113
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 7:40:35 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

quote:

Its a theme I am very much a fan of as well Did it pick up a little by the end for you?

I havent watched your nom yet, but you can add me to the people who are really happy to see it in there. I watched He Who Gets Slapped last year, and even though it doesnt sound like one of his most gruelling characters, it was still amazing to see how much he put into it. So I had been wanting to see some of his other roles.

I don't think it needed to pick up. Its a fine film. I'm only 3 (well I guess 4 if I include my own nomination) films into this round, but I'd be relatively confident that TLPS will make my top 6. So, you know I'm judging it against the films in this round, but I'm afraid that the films I've picked out above are among my favourites and I'd rate them above TLPS. Not least because I think the performances of Henry Fonda, George C. Scott and Burt Lancaster are among my favourites on film. But that doesn't mean I didn't rate TLPS or think it a worthy nomination.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/11/2011 7:42:50 AM >

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 114
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 8:30:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

I don't know about everybody else, but I am going to be watching the TV series version. I like watching the versions with the most possible content.

Same here. But if someone watches the two and half hour cut, it's not really fair when others watch one almost twice as long. Then again, those who don't fancy a gargantuan watch might fancy the shorter one, so the long version suffers.

Put it this way, when I nominate a LOTR film I'm stating it's the extended cut

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 115
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 9:03:57 AM   
matty_b

I think it's preferable if people do watch the longest cut they can, but understand if that's simply too much and they have to make do with the director's cut - which to be fair is still over three hours long.

Having said that, if people put aside a week to watch Satantango in a previous round they can damn well do the same for this.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 116
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 9:58:51 AM   
Rebel scum

I watched the Director's Cut, but only because it was the version I already had. Once I've watched the other films in the round I'll seek out the TV series version.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 117
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 10:14:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Sitting here with a slight headache, I was wondering which of these films I should watch to start off my HOF viewing. The Last Picture Show's just arrived, but it's not a favourite so I'll leave that for now. I have Downfall and Das Boot, but I won't have the chance to finish either in one sitting if I start them now. I need to search for my copies of Wise Blood and An American In Paris, and can't be bothered to do so. The obvious choice would be The Music Box. Short and sweet, but I know it by heart, maybe something new. So I'm left with the films that are youtube. The Penalty and The Room. The Room it is. And after 5.41, my mild headache is now pounding like crazy and I need to go and lie down. Can I send Paul the bill for the aspirin?

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 118
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 11:47:22 AM   
Rebenectomy

I've simply decided to watch them in the order they appear in the Poll.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 119
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 3/11/2011 11:49:58 AM   
elab49

Paul will be lucky to get out of this HoF alive. And he'll deserve every pitchfork prod too!

quote:

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI