Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Hall of Fame 13: Round 1

The Penalty (Worsley, 1920)
  9% (3)
The Music Box (Parrot, 1932)
  6% (2)
An American in Paris (Minnelli, 1951)
  0% (0)
Bonnie and Clyde (Penn, 1967)
  9% (3)
Marketa Lazarova (Vlacil, 1967)
  3% (1)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
  12% (4)
Requiem for a Village (Gladwell, 1975)
  3% (1)
Wise Blood (Huston, 1979)
  3% (1)
Das Boot (Peterson, 1981)
  25% (8)
Underground (Kusturica, 1995)
  0% (0)
The Room (Wiseau, 2003)
  3% (1)
Downfall (Hirschbiegel, 2004)
  12% (4)
United 93 (Greengrass, 2006)
  12% (4)

Total Votes : 32

(last vote on : 15/4/2012 7:28:34 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 8:36:55 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Sorry, justin

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Wise Blood, I recorded it last Christmas but haven't seen it yet. At the time I didn't think I'd ever seen it but now that picture brings back memories, By database says I saw it almost 6 years ago, back in November 2005. I gave it 2 stars.

Surely such blatant touting for votes is banned?!?!

Banned or not, she may have done the job already

I've no idea what either of you are discussing, I was merely using an appropriate picture to express my dismay at such a harsh rating.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/11/2011 8:37:48 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 61
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 10:24:07 AM   
Rebel scum

The Room-Anyone who doesn't like this is just a chicken, cheeeep cheep cheep cheep.

More seriously, while some bits of it (ie-Anything with Tommy Wiseau) crossed the line from bad to hilarious, everything else is just plain bad. Even though there are some moments that had me in hysterics, and plenty of endlessly quotable dialogue, it is still a bad film.

Oh, and The Nostalgia Critic's review of the film is also pretty damn funny:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/25743-the-room

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 1/11/2011 10:32:49 AM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 62
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 10:47:07 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I watched my first film of the round last night. Downfall. This was my second viewing of the film. And my opinion is pretty much as it was the first time around.

The film is an extremely competent piece, its interestingly set and by having Hitler as one of the characters on view rather than the main show, it works very well. It is (as far as I know) relatively accurate and its a very commendable piece. So I really should love it. But I feel I just know the story. Before my first viewing, I was "up" on what happened in the final days before the fall of Berlin, Hitler's mental and other illnesses, the behaviour of the Goebbels family. So, I'm seeing a story well put together and visualised, but for me its only a dramatization of events I already know. And you could ask what else is the film going to be able to achieve such that it is a historical and biographical piece. Rebel's blurb suggests that this is a thought-provoking film on man's inhumanity to man. I'd argue that a better piece in a similar vein was the TV movie "Conspiracy".

EDIT: Just re-reading that and I might sound a touch harsh. For example there are some bits that work really well, like Hitler saying that if Germany is lost then the people may as well all die as far as he cares. And him showing affection to the German boys he is about to send out on these suicide missions to try to hold back the Russian troops.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 1/11/2011 11:20:20 AM >

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 63
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 11:42:53 AM   
elab49

I know this is reducing what you said a bit, but isn't that close to suggesting that if you know a piece of history well, then no film will ever really work in partially recreating it though? Or, I've read about TE Lawrence, have a fair idea of his exploits, but Lawrence is really only a dramatisation of events I already know, so beyond history and biographical, what?

I can get really ticked off if the history is annoyingly bad though, but being similarly pretty much OK with the ending of WWII and events in Berlin I don't think that ever really impacted on my viewing, apart from it being done so well I wasn't taken out of the film by an annoying jar in terms of presentation. So maybe that's the kind of opposite to what you say as it's more in the way of taking me out, than affecting what I'm looking for going in.

Conspiracy vs Downfall? Thematically I'd say you're probably right (although the fate of the Goebbels kids still badly gets me in the guts) - the dispassionate matter-of-factness of Conspiracy is very powerful indeed.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 64
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 11:51:19 AM   
matty_b

The Room - dear god, that's awful. Hilarious, but dreadful in every single respect.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 65
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:02:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I know this is reducing what you said a bit, but isn't that close to suggesting that if you know a piece of history well, then no film will ever really work in partially recreating it though? Or, I've read about TE Lawrence, have a fair idea of his exploits, but Lawrence is really only a dramatisation of events I already know, so beyond history and biographical, what?

This is bang on. And I consider my own stance on Downfall to be more my problem than the film's. I know about the fate of the Goebbels family so when I'm watching it I'm more wondering "will they and how will they approach that bit" than being powerfully affected when it happens. I do however think that Lawrence manages to lift the whole story out of the book remarkably and adds a lot.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:13:45 PM   
Rebel scum

I reckon that since everybody knows generally how Downfall's going to end, it's the presentation of the events rather than the events themselves that make it so powerful-the calmness on the face of Mrs. Goebbels (Her actual name escapes me) during that scene and the way the film doesn't sensationalise it by adding melodramatic music or something makes it affecting even if you know it's going to happen. The same could apply to Hitler's fate-a lesser film would either show the suicide, or have something of a "ding-dong, the witch is dead" scene shortly afterwards-instead Downfall shows the discovery and burning of the bodies with an almost documentary realism, and that makes it both more real and almost perversely affecting-not because we grow to like Hitler, but because the film has shown Hitler's mental breakdown that led to that decision.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 67
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:14:21 PM   
elab49

Prof - maybe it is kind of the film too, then? If it had captured you completely and wholly absorbed your attention, the other bit of your mind might not be analysing it in quite that way? 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/11/2011 12:24:30 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 68
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:23:18 PM   
Rebel scum

That's a fair point, it is one of those films that immerses me every time I watch it; the only time I've watched it with my critical eye on was when I had to analyse it for Uni (and it still held up, which cemented it as one of my favourites.)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 69
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:29:55 PM   
elab49

Sorry - I edited because I was responding to Prof and didn't see your post till afterwards, Rebel. Although I agree with what you say - I think it's a great film. It just has the misfortune to come up against a film that is in my top 5 or so  for WWII

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/11/2011 12:34:36 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 70
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:35:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

It is unfortunate that Das Boot has come out in the same round (personally, I don't see another winner, but I've not watched all the films yet and I could see Bogdanovich getting some love).

What is your other top WW2 films, elab. Where Eagles Dare?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 71
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 12:51:40 PM   
elab49

I'd to check my list, because most aren't war/war films per se. A Canterbury Tale is the highest, and Blimp is above Das Boot too. Two Melville - Silence de la Mer and Army of Shadows. Shop on Main Street and Kanal. Das Boot is the highest war/war one as opposed to tangential concerns, critiques and resistance stories though.

And you know I'll always have Guns of Navarone higher than Where Eagles Dare!

quote:

Post #: 72
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:16:52 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

The Room-Anyone who doesn't like this is just a chicken, cheeeep cheep cheep cheep.

More seriously, while some bits of it (ie-Anything with Tommy Wiseau) crossed the line from bad to hilarious, everything else is just plain bad. Even though there are some moments that had me in hysterics, and plenty of endlessly quotable dialogue, it is still a bad film.

I've been incredibly harsh on the film in the past (and got yelled at last time for calling the huge fanbase a forced cult ). Rewatching it now, Wiseau is pretty much the best part of the film, I agree. He's abysmal, but at least there's some genuine comedic value in his performance. The rest of the film, I just don't find it funny. The trouble with bad films is they can only work as comedies, so like most comedies you either find them funny or you don't. For the most part, it's not funny to me, and too much of it feels like a really bad spoof when it's not intended to be (fuck what they say now, this was meant to be a drama) There are some killer lines though. Cut about 30 minutes from the film and I think it would have been far funnier.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 73
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:22:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

The Room seems to be up in full on Youtube, just sent pms to Matty, Gimli, Rebel and MC with the link, anyone else needs it then let me know. 

Can someone send me that. I'm away Wednesday evening and think I should be able to squeeze in a viewing. Thanks in advance :-)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 74
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:24:58 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

The Room seems to be up in full on Youtube, just sent pms to Matty, Gimli, Rebel and MC with the link, anyone else needs it then let me know. 

Can someone send me that. I'm away Wednesday evening and think I should be able to squeeze in a viewing. Thanks in advance :-)

Done.

Post #: 75
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:26:47 PM   
Rebel scum

The Penalty-Wow. I mean, wow. This is easily the best silent film I've ever seen. Everyone should drop everything and go watch it.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 76
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:27:34 PM   
elab49

Rather brilliant, innit? 

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 77
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:30:04 PM   
Rebel scum

To put it mildly. It's vying with Downfall for my current No. 1.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 78
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:32:02 PM   
elab49

This is pretty much the definition of what's great about the HoF 

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 79
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:33:43 PM   
rawlinson

As good as The Penalty is, The Unknown is even better.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 80
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:38:40 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Thanks Rebel.

And very pleased to hear that The Penalty was well received. The Unknown is another peerless silent performance by Lon Chaney and its only an hour long if you fancy it, but really I don't think he puts in a bad turn as any of his characters http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018528/

If you liked the theme then Lang's 1928 Spione is similar http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019415/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 81
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:42:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

As good as The Penalty is, The Unknown is even better.

Beaten to the draw by rawly. I thought long and hard about which Chaney to put forward. For example, Joan Crawford (I think) described Chaney's performance in that as the best she'd ever seen. I think Browning is a better director. And the cigarette lighting scene is just awesome. But I thought as a piece of entertainment, people might just enjoy The Penalty more. Still my motivation is achieved, I've got someone else to see the brilliance of Chaney, no matter now which film I picked or how far it goes.

Plus, don't you love the dialogue for a silent film?
"If there is enough of me"
"I can murder anything, but not music"
"Laughter burns a cripple like acid"

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 1/11/2011 1:47:24 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 82
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:43:36 PM   
Rebel scum

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll have to keep an eye out for The Unknown then, although annoyingly Lovefilm, Youtube and Amazon don't have it.

Post #: 83
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:47:36 PM   
impqueen

The Unknown is on YouTube.

Edit: Or not, sorry.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 1/11/2011 1:48:36 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 84
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:49:09 PM   
elab49

You should find it easy enough on Youtube - pretty sure it used to be up there.

And at least Crawford was better at judging good performances than she was ever capable of giving one.

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 85
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:50:15 PM   
impqueen

quote:

And at least Crawford was better at judging good performances than she was ever capable of giving one

WBros have taken it down.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 86
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:50:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll have to keep an eye out for The Unknown then, although annoyingly Lovefilm, Youtube and Amazon don't have it.

Ah yes. I think that was another reason I didn't put it forwards

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 87
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:53:45 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Does this outpouring of love for silent movies and HoF long film nominations mean that I can happily stick in Gance's Napoleon next round

Post #: 88
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 1:58:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

And at least Crawford was better at judging good performances than she was ever capable of giving one

WBros have taken it down.

Evil gits. Although you can get it in the Lon Chaney Collection import. Bit over the price limit for the HoF sadly,

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 89
RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 - 1/11/2011 2:01:38 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Does this outpouring of love for silent movies and HoF long film nominations mean that I can happily stick in Gance's Napoleon next round

I'll put forward Dr. Mabuse the Gambler.

Yes, always.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> The Hall Of Fame >> RE: Hall of Fame 13: Round 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI