Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Ides Of March - 28/10/2011 7:08:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good but should have been better.................... - 28/10/2011 7:08:42 PM   
umer_ejaz

Thought the movie was good overall, obviously Gosling as usual is always getting better with every movie he's making but what really annoyed me about the movie is the fact that it lacks a killer punch to really take you aback by the storyline which I thought was good but Clooney & Heslov's screenplay should have been near to a two hour running time to really pull the punches in this good film

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Ides Of March - 28/10/2011 11:32:33 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

I saw this today and while I enjoyed it for the most part, there didn't really seem to be an ending. It was kinda like it just ended without a plot resolution or climax. Ryan Gosling was very good in it and along with Drive I wouldn't be surprised if he's nominated for an Oscar.

Post #: 3
RE: The Ides Of March - 28/10/2011 11:47:39 PM   
adambatman82

I saw the film today too, and enjoyed it enough. Think its Gosling's least interesting performance of the year though, with Blue Valentine his highpoint and Drive an interesting diversion. Great to see Clooney back on directorial form tho, after the dire Leatherheads.

Post #: 4
Fair review, but it gets an extra star - 29/10/2011 5:28:14 PM   
tysmuse

It's more enjoyable and well-made than this review seems to let on.

Post #: 5
- 30/10/2011 3:37:42 PM   
bennington13

I think this review misconstrues the point of the film somewhat. The criticism of the overly neat resolution of the Rachel Evan Woods storyline for example is unfair - that particular plot strand is a catalyst for activity and character development elsewhere, not a stand alone story line in and of itself. Likewise the accusation that Gosling's character Stephen MEYERS is unbelievably naive. Meyers starts the film by saying that he'd do anything for the right candidate - he's not some wide eyed ingenue, he's just found a specific candidate he believes in . Again, the specific plot points are almost peripheral - the film is intended to pose fundamental questions about politics and democracy: can you have a clean candidate? Can you do the wrong things for the rights reasons? Does it actually make any tangible difference whoever occupies the top job?

Happily, it manages to do this without smacking you over the head with conspiracy theories, pious preaching or comforting black humour of most political films. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than this review implies.

Post #: 6
Has something underneath - 3/11/2011 11:48:22 AM   
Joey71

The film is deeper than this review suggests. Did you not see Gosling's face in the last shot? Surely that raised some questions as to his motives for his so-called 'Faustian' journey....

Post #: 7
RE: The Ides Of March - 7/11/2011 10:27:38 AM   
ChudMonkey

Kind of agree with most of the above. The film is better than the review suggests but I couldn't help feeling that the storyline would have been better served over an entire series of The West Wing as some narrative threads (Molly for instance) feel too rushed towards a dramatic conclusion. Great acting throughout though and a nice ambiguous ending. Plus, I enjoyed the fact that my overwhelming feeling on leaving the cinema was that Clooney really really hates politicians.

3.5 out of 5

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 8
RE: The Ides Of March - 20/1/2012 5:40:15 PM   
King of Kafiristan

I was eagerly anticipating this, but in the end it felt like there wasn't really much there. I liked the performances, and Clooney handled the drama well on a scene to scene basis, but it just felt undercooked and a little dull, the whole intern business. We've seen it before so many times, and the tension of the acting kept implying that the story would go somewhere new or exciting. I have no problem with small scale drama, slow burn stuff, but here it just didn't work. I didn't really have enough investment in Gosling to care when he was fired, and he was so muted that I was more perplexed by his quest to rejoin the campaign than anything. The characters were kept at arms length, and established too quickly, too by the numbers - more as archetypes than people - so I was left struggling for a reason to care when he was fired. In the end it reminded me of LIONS FOR LAMBS, a well intentioned movie with some good performances that just ultimately didn't have enough to say to back up it's bluster

PS Rachel Maddow, who appeared in this film as herself in the movie discussing the politics of the situation from a fictional version of her program THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW, did remarkable work and it floored me to see venture out into the world of film. I've long held she should transition part time into acting, and her work in IDES went a long way towards proving my assertion to be well founded. Normally when news personalities play themselves in film, they cannot deliver their dialog believably, and the contrast between how they deliver their lines on film and how they sound discussing the ins and outs of the real world political horse race couldn't be more noticable. In this movie though, it was as if we were watching an alternate universe Maddow delivering real commentary. It was masterful acting, and I hope we'll see more from her in this area going forward

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 9
RE: The Ides Of March - 31/1/2012 4:04:49 AM   
m_er

4/10 The Ides of March: slightly predictable, a surprisingly dull political drama, far from best political thriller

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 10
RE: The Ides Of March - 17/3/2012 9:55:46 PM   
Goodfella

A slightly darker, slightly sexier cinematic answer to 'The West Wing', although arguably not as good. Still thoroughly engaging although you can't help but feel Mike Morris is George Clooney's political puffpiece. 4/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 11
RE: The Ides Of March - 19/3/2012 11:14:52 AM   
yazoo88

I'll be honest I found this film boring for the most part... Perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind that night to enjoy it, but I just didn't feel gripped enough by the storyline or connected with the characters.

That said I did rate Ryan Gosling and George Clooneys acting, but this still wasn't enough..

Post #: 12
RE: The Ides Of March - 4/5/2012 7:19:54 PM   
Rich Empire

Great ensemble cast. I don't usually go for Political based films though this one definitely held my attention.
Praise should be given especially to Clooney for playing down his role and creating a slick, very well polished film.
Beautifully shot with great performances.
I highly recommend this film to anyone who may have missed it.

The Dude abides...

(in reply to yazoo88)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Ides Of March Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI