Lord of the rings

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Lord of the rings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lord of the rings - 28/2/2006 8:36:28 PM   
chrisrus

I'm sure alot of people have read these. I think there really good the two towers being best
Post #: 1
RE: Lord of the rings - 28/2/2006 9:02:29 PM   
Dozy McGrew

Once or twice.
Have to disagree with you on The Two Towers though, only because it doesn't have those warm and cosy memories of reading Fellowship for the first time accompanied by crunchy peanut butter sandwiches and several glasses of Milk. By the way isn't LotR a hungry book? There are so many descriptive scenes of eating that my then 13 year old (Now 27) wasteline expanded significantly during that first reading.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to chrisrus)
Post #: 2
RE: Lord of the rings - 28/2/2006 9:18:13 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dozy McGrew

Once or twice.
Have to disagree with you on The Two Towers though, only because it doesn't have those warm and cosy memories of reading Fellowship for the first time accompanied by crunchy peanut butter sandwiches and several glasses of Milk. By the way isn't LotR a hungry book? There are so many descriptive scenes of eating that my then 13 year old (Now 27) wasteline expanded significantly during that first reading.

It's a pretty realistic book which showed how much Tolkien cared for his mythology. That means it's pretty dense and sprawling too, but no matter. The magic is witnessing Tolkien's imagination.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 3
RE: Lord of the rings - 2/3/2006 11:30:12 AM   
The2ndRing

I love them all, but I have to say my fondest (I don't know if that is the right word) memory of reading LOTR is ROTK, the part with Sam and Frodo on mount doom is just so heartbreaking, and how Frodo never gets over it, it gets me everytime!

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 4
RE: Lord of the rings - 9/3/2006 12:11:54 AM   
vic_vega

Kind of hard to put them in any order. Fellowship did my head in until after the hobbits left the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil behind and then I really couldn't put it down until the very end - somewhere in the middle of the appendices.
I love the way that although the story finished with Sam returning to Bag End (had he moved in by then?) there is still so much to be gleaned about the remainder of his life in the Shire and of the other members of the Fellowship.

That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 5
RE: Lord of the rings - 9/3/2006 4:57:37 AM   
baselthe2nd

I'd have to say the hungriest books are the redwall books.

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Baselthe2nd
Best place to be..........
A strange-named forum, but with awsome ppl on it.......
Go to your dream forum:
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Baselthe2nd

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 6
RE: Lord of the rings - 14/3/2006 6:22:09 PM   
Le Tenia

Thought " Fellowship " was the best, particularly when the Hobbits encounter Strider at Bree.
I have to agree with Peter Jackson as regards the difficulties surrounding The Two Towers, as there is no beginning nor end , the plot follows 3 seperate story strands and no-one dies..

"Fly, you fools..."

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to baselthe2nd)
Post #: 7
RE: Lord of the rings - 14/3/2006 9:29:40 PM   
Livvie

I LOVED these books!! Although I have to say along with the Fellowship being my favourite book - I really enjoyed reading the Appendices - Tolkien's attention to detail is amazing.

After all ... tomorrow is another day.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 8
RE: Lord of the rings - 21/3/2006 7:36:20 PM   
Katamarang

The Two Towers is my favourite, I love all the stuff at the end with the spider, favourite bit in the whole book I think and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with Shelob in the film, she was way too small! Then the third one then the first one least favourite I think just because it takes so long to get going and there's all that shit with Tom Bombadil and the boring farmer guy they stay with. Also the chapter where they're in the meeting has got to be the longest chapter ever written ever! But besides these minor quibbles, yeah I love the books.

It's so funny I'm haemorrhaging inside.

http://www.savethetivoli.co.uk/
please help save my local cinema cheers

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Lord of the rings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI