Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tom Cruise Talks Jack Reacher Casting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tom Cruise Talks Jack Reacher Casting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tom Cruise Talks Jack Reacher Casting - 25/10/2011 2:55:45 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Had Cruise not been involved... - 25/10/2011 2:55:45 PM   
JensonJet

...I bet the budget would have dropped massively, and a less accompolished director hired. If comic book movies have taught us anything it's that the original core fans are near worthless compared to appealing to the average cinema goer! From what I know of the Reacher character and his escapades this film could easily have been a typical B-rate and utterly forgettable action flick. Cruise may not be the world's best actor, but like Harrison Ford he's a better action-man than the usual choices for such a role. If all the fans care about is the character's height, then they'll steer clear and internet-users won't have to put up with their whining or more tedious jokes about Mr Cruise's height!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/10/2011 3:17:03 PM   
LSJShez

If he casts Vern Troyer and Peter Dinkledge, it'll make him look like the Reacher of the books!

Post #: 3
yawn - 25/10/2011 3:52:08 PM   
oz_p

They can try and justify it anyway they like, but its a shocker in casting terms! Why not have jackie chan as superman or George clooney as batman, oh wait they did that already!! Predictable Hollywood, ruining great books/stories with bad casting just to draw in some money...

Post #: 4
Unforgiveable - 25/10/2011 5:05:19 PM   
Dhaid

Huge fan of the book series and the casting of someone so completely against how the character is described will definately make me give this movie a miss. Jack Reacher's height and build are not just a description, they are a huge (no pun intended) part of his character. Things happen to him BECAUSE of how he looks and interacts. Never been a Cruise fan (highly overrated) and this just made me walk away from the series as well. How much money does Lee Childs need that he is willing to sacrifice his own character? Sad-so sad.

Post #: 5
sigh! - 25/10/2011 5:38:23 PM   
miorandmior

sigh! what's there to say, its a done deal however the fans ruminate,protest or complain. the film will do well but itll be down to TC's fanbase not, i dare say, Lee Childs. in the end itll be just another action flick - like TCs last one Knight and Day. its sad but thats Hollywood. next up - arnold swcharczeneggar as Gandhi . woohooo!

Post #: 6
sigh! - 25/10/2011 7:34:15 PM   
miorandmior

sigh! what's there to say, its a done deal however the fans ruminate,protest or complain. the film will do well but itll be down to TC's fanbase not, i dare say, Lee Childs. in the end itll be just another action flick - like TCs last one Knight and Day. its sad but thats Hollywood. next up - arnold swcharczeneggar as Gandhi . woohooo!

Post #: 7
- 25/10/2011 8:33:53 PM   
Lur

totally agree with jensenjet.this flick is aimed at the average movie goer "hey look,a new tom cruise movie" "is it any good?" "i dont know,but its got tom cruise in it.i know him from celebrity gossip.lets watch" ah hollywood.its all downhill from here people

Post #: 8
Stop whining. - 25/10/2011 9:14:56 PM   
Varkko Stush

Personally i dont care if they cast Dakota Fanning as Reacher, i just want to see the film. Picking an actor strictly for his physical resemblance to a character is a dumb idea. Stop chatting bollocks, whinging gets.

Post #: 9
Wrong wrong wrong... - 27/10/2011 3:56:17 PM   
garethturtle

It seems to me that Child will be looking for more readers rather than making a film for his existing fans with the casting of the egotistical midget. Yes his physicality is only one part of the character, but, as anyone who has studied acting even at GCSE level knows that physicality plays a huge roll in how a character relates to the world around them and given Reacher's history and the reaction he receives from other characters just because of his physical presence, it seems to me that Cruise is completely the wrong choice. The casting director should be ashamed of themselves, or maybe they're a scientologist or a morphophiliac and I can't even call myself a huge fan of the books, having only read one, I can't imagine what devoted readers are thinking.

Post #: 10
Nonsense! - 27/10/2011 9:02:25 PM   
archie119

I don't care what bullshit lee child comes out with to justify the casting of cruise, it's just total nonsense. As others have mentioned, Reachers size is a main factor in the novels, especially when he is using his bulk and size to beat the crap out of the bad guys! Now come on, the average guy on the street could kick cruises arse! You know I was hoping that one day a movie would be made based on John Connollys Charlie Parker books, but maybe it's best they don't, they would probably cast Jamie Bell or someone like that!

Post #: 11
What a complete an utter joke this is - 28/10/2011 5:13:39 AM   
CRUISEISAJOKE

Hope you bank enough Lee Child because you sure sold out your fans with this ridiculous farce. It's not a Jack Reacher movie, its a Tom Cruise movie and he uses the name. He has a friggin' spiky hair cut for CRYING OUT LOUD, and he's TINY and NOT INTIMIDATING and the farthest from stoic as you can get. An insult to the franchise and fans. Enjoy that check Mr Child.

Post #: 12
I MIGHT ADD - 28/10/2011 5:16:23 AM   
CRUISEISAJOKE

I just told my mother about this, she is 73 and has read every book, and she laughed for a minute straight when I told her, she put the phone down for a second. Laughed out loud, and her best friend is going to be crushed by this, they love Reacher BECAUSE he is a big tough dude who can crack heads. GET IT TOM? What a farce. FARCE.

Post #: 13
I have much respect for the Cruiser BUT... - 28/10/2011 3:08:08 PM   
Juan Dolio

I also have a love for Reacher and the novels in general, and for me the size of the character is the most crucial aspect for the key dynamics of the stories; the fight scenes shape up like the "Burly Brawl" in The Matrix but are over within seconds, with the pure joy taken from them being generated by Reacher's bulk. One headbutt from this guy ENDS things, sometimes permanently, and this piece of casting is surely going to make One Shot just another Bourne-esque action flick? Not necessarily a bad thing but when you're talking about a character with a 16-book legacy...

Good luck to all involved though - I'll check it out with caution...

Post #: 14
The bigger they are... - 1/11/2011 10:44:39 AM   
mclh

...the bigger the actor? In terms of physicality, yes, not fame. But then how much say did Childs really have? I've loved virtually all the Reacher books and will probably continue to do so. Would be surprised if I loved the film though... Yes, I've seen some terrific Cruise performances, but as already stated Reacher's size is a huge part of the dynamic for the character.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tom Cruise Talks Jack Reacher Casting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI