Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Gary Oldman Offered Akira?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Gary Oldman Offered Akira? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gary Oldman Offered Akira? - 24/10/2011 10:29:21 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not sure.. - 24/10/2011 10:29:21 AM   
Simon124

I just can't see this working - this is such an architypal Japanese story that I can't see it translating properly, the idea of phsycics in the western world doesn't have quite the same impact as it does in the east, I don't see how they can build the same story and keep faithful to the orgiginal material.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
If this must be... - 24/10/2011 10:52:34 AM   
Johnny_A

then I say do it right.
I saw the headline on Empire's Facebook page and commented that the roles GO et HBC should play are exactly what is reported here. EGO BOOST!!!
Apart from that, I don't see why this movie couldn't be set in Neo Toyko. Yeah, have American (white) leads, but you can have a biker gang comprised of American, Japanese, whatever.
The role of Kaneda could be changed to that of a rebellious army brat (cept now grown) who had taken in Tetsuo (also an army brat who got picked on since he's new. hence keeping that kind of bond intact from the original movie/manga). There are ways around this Nightmare live action version, but a good/great writer can make it work.
The studio IS gonna make the movie. They don't care if we, the fans, don't like it. Fine. All I want is that they do it right.
I'll be jotting down my own notes as to how this new version can be written while being as close as possible to the movie et manga. Compare my notes et the movie when the flick does open in two yrs.
Anyway, what does anyone else think?

Post #: 3
- 24/10/2011 3:29:05 PM   
eddybaby83

As much as I have alot of time for both actors, I still think that it should be an all Japanese cast. I hope they retain Neo Tokyo at least, although now I am trying to figure out which 'Hollywood' actor would make a good Keneda and Tetsuo...

Post #: 4
RE: Gary Oldman Offered Akira? - 24/10/2011 3:59:35 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Rather than casting white actors in the roles, why not just change the character names? I don't even think changing the setting to Neo LA would make a difference. Better that than a situation like Airbender; where the paranoid losers on the internet lose their shit at "racist" Hollywood...

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

Post #: 5
Story plot - 4/1/2012 8:50:09 PM   
Anthony1130

Make sure the plot or screenplay of the movie is similar to the actual comics. Hope to see the movie soon. I love the comics, read them at least 20 each.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Gary Oldman Offered Akira? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI