Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The PC Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The PC Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 12:04:41 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

One game that I got totally addicted to at the time was this one:

Anyone else play it?  It was basically a tactical shooter, in which you were in charge of a 4-man SAS team in WW2.  At the start of each mission, you chose your squad, kitted them out, then went off to complete several objectives.  God, I loved this game so much at the time.  Apparently it's now available as freeware, might be tempted to grab it...

I had the demo of that when it came out, and remember playing the second mission where you have to rescue the hostages (who turn out are not there) over and over again
I always went with 'Mad Dog' Tanner (?) as one of my squad

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 31
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 12:50:33 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

It's going pretty good Emyr.
So far I've purchased the complete GTA Series, Bioshock and got copy of Shogun 2.

I've been playing Team Fortress 2 which I'm getting the hang of but it's very manic. Fun to play now and again.

However I've just started Episodes from Liberty City - The Lost and Damned tonight and WOW! It's so much detail in comparison with PS2. Such an eye opener. I'm using the Xbox controller and it's smashing. Think I'm a convert.

As for Transport Tycoon, I could never get into that. I had the Transport, Railroad and my favourite.... Rollercoaster Tycoon. My god, those games could zap your entire life away. They're as bad as Theme Hospital. I'd start in morning and when I'd look at clock it'd be midnight. lol

Good to hear! I remember when I used to play Team Fortress. I'd either go as a Pyro and set people on fire and run around them (flames obscure their vision) or go as a spy, pretend to be dead then get up and stab them hah. Funny thing is I've been thinking about going for the Liberty City stories pack but on the PS3. I'm playing BF3, Oblivion, PAYDAY and L4D2 on the PC right now. I'm thinking about buying Dead Island as it looks interesting, a zombie shooter/RPG with a whole island to explore. If only they would make a Tron MMORPG....

Can anyone recommend a good strategy game? I don't mind whether it's turn-based or real-time strategy. I'm thinking aobut going for Civilization V, I do have Hearts of Iron 3 which was good but it was tough going and quite complex. I'm looking for empire building/industrial take-over type games, so something like Civilization V or the Tycoon series of games.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 32
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 1:25:43 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Can anyone recommend a good strategy game? I don't mind whether it's turn-based or real-time strategy. I'm thinking aobut going for Civilization V, I do have Hearts of Iron 3 which was good but it was tough going and quite complex. I'm looking for empire building/industrial take-over type games, so something like Civilization V or the Tycoon series of games.

Tropico3?
http://www.tropico3.com/en/index.php

Great dictator sim where you control a Cuba like island

edit: You should probalby go with the 4th actually, seeing as it has just been released
http://www.worldoftropico.com/en/T4/en/index.php?p=info

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 3/11/2011 1:28:19 PM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 33
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 8:08:47 PM   
batcountry84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

quote:

Tropico3?
http://www.tropico3.com/en/index.php

Great dictator sim where you control a Cuba like island

edit: You should probalby go with the 4th actually, seeing as it has just been released
http://www.worldoftropico.com/en/T4/en/index.php?p=info

Only 2.84 too for download!
http://www.shopto.net/DOWNLOAD/VIDEO%20GAMES/DWNLD20479-Tropico%203.html?affiliate_source=aw&awc=2943_1320350862_a95ee730e50abc1c6ed6bfde70f666b3

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 34
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 8:15:36 PM   
Drew_231

That GOG website has The Last Express for $5.99

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/last_express_the

I really cant recommend the game enough. Plus you get the soundtrack with it which more than enough reason to buy it

And did anyone ever play Clive Barkers Undying? Fantastic game with an incredibly creepy atmosphere. Set in the 1930's (i think) in Ireland, where your investigating a curse placed upon your friends family. Cue haunted mansions, bleak Irish moors with old graveyards and ruined churches, and a whole lot of other great enviroments

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 3/11/2011 8:28:59 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: The PC Thread - 6/11/2011 4:45:49 PM   
batcountry84

Anyone recommend a good motorcycle racing game, ideally with online play?
I've been looking at the SBK series, as I've played MotoGP08 and 09 on PS2 and not that thrilled with it's impossibly qualifiers and lack of good response for anything other than pole postition.
I do love me the real MotoGP and not into World Superbike but I just want me the best bike racing game there is.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 36
RE: The PC Thread - 6/11/2011 5:16:22 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Master of Orion I & II, Heroes of Might and Magic III and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 37
RE: The PC Thread - 11/11/2011 1:18:13 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Cheers, I'll give them a go! Has anyone bought Skyrim for the PC?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 38
RE: The PC Thread - 14/11/2011 7:04:52 AM   
Drew_231

quote:

Cheers, I'll give them a go! Has anyone bought Skyrim for the PC?

Yup, looks amazing. Im actually quite impressed with how well its running on my pc. Also played over the weekend for a while and only had one crash.
The skill menu is obviously designed for consoles, so feels a bit clunky when navigating with a mouse, but otherwise no real complaints 

Post #: 39
RE: The PC Thread - 6/12/2011 2:46:59 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Can anyone remember the name of game where there was an alien invasion and you could control a Harrier jet and a ship's turrets to take on wave of enemies? It's pretty much an arcade shooter and it was released around 1997-1999?

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 40
RE: The PC Thread - 6/12/2011 6:50:09 AM   
Drew_231

Space Invaders?

Post #: 41
RE: The PC Thread - 6/12/2011 1:28:21 PM   
Emyr Thy King

No it was Incoming. In the days of 3Dfx's Voodoo graphics cards!

The ever venerable Harrier

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 6/12/2011 2:49:31 PM >

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 42
RE: The PC Thread - 19/12/2011 11:20:23 PM   
batcountry84

oh god, Steam sales are on and you know what that means - bankruptcy for me. lol.
Question: Fable III for 7.49 - yay or nay?
Heard mixed reports on this game. Please consider I may be splashing out on other stuff during the course of the sale.

Post #: 43
RE: The PC Thread - 19/12/2011 11:32:16 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

oh god, Steam sales are on and you know what that means - bankruptcy for me. lol.
Question: Fable III for 7.49 - yay or nay?
Heard mixed reports on this game. Please consider I may be splashing out on other stuff during the course of the sale.

Nay. Especially if you have played the past games. Easily the worst one.

Post #: 44
RE: The PC Thread - 19/12/2011 11:35:24 PM   
batcountry84

Thanks Anomaly. That's saved me a few bob. Would you recomend Crysis and Just Cause 2?

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 45
RE: The PC Thread - 20/12/2011 1:33:51 AM   
Emyr Thy King

I can definitely recommend Just Cause 2, just cos it's good. A big map to play around in, overthrowing a communist government and you have a mini-jet among other things.

Post #: 46
RE: The PC Thread - 20/12/2011 3:23:05 PM   
batcountry84

Thanks Emyr. I'll add that to my basket then :)

Any recommendations on a war type shooter game, ideally with online play? I'd go for MW3 or BF3 but I'm not flush at the moment, so a hidden cheap gem would be fab.

Post #: 47
RE: The PC Thread - 21/12/2011 1:05:33 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Thanks Emyr. I'll add that to my basket then :)

Any recommendations on a war type shooter game, ideally with online play? I'd go for MW3 or BF3 but I'm not flush at the moment, so a hidden cheap gem would be fab.

Team Fortress 2. All other online shooters pale in comparison.

The Steam sale has been ace. So far I've picked up Limbo for 1.79 (absolute bargain considering the quality of the game), Left for Dead 2 at 3.74 and Magicka for 1.99. I'm sure I'll pick up more before 1 Jan.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 48
RE: The PC Thread - 21/12/2011 2:24:25 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Isn't there an Evil Dead game for the PC? If not, perhaps a total mod conversion!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: The PC Thread - 27/12/2011 12:54:09 PM   
gingerdaniel

The first pc game i had, still love it

Do you run? Check THIS out

Post #: 50
RE: The PC Thread - 27/12/2011 1:28:04 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Isn't there an Evil Dead game for the PC? If not, perhaps a total mod conversion!

I remember reading a review of one in PC Gamer years ago. To say they weren't kind to it is an understatement

Post #: 51
RE: The PC Thread - 27/12/2011 1:55:54 PM   
batcountry84

I'm gonna play some Shogun 2 soon I think.
These Steam sales are making me poor though.
Got Fallout 3 GOTY, Aliens vs Predator, Just Cause 2. I really want Crysis but holding out for these daily sales incase it drops from 4.99. Also bought Dead Space from Game for 2.99.

You know, I cringe to think i use fork out 30/40 for brand new releases on PS2. These cheap games are bliss. lol.

Dying get my teeth in a war game, preferably jungle warfare like Vietnam but wondering what people recommend. I see Conflict Vietnam is on PC and I loved that on PS2 despite getting stuck. A lot of people talk about Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam.

Anyone else on Steam? PM me your id and i'll add ya as a friend.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 52
RE: The PC Thread - 27/12/2011 11:13:02 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I used to play that game with a skirmish map full of enemies and only a few laser and nuke troopers and a convertible car with bazookas! Needless to say I'd only lose one or two units. 

I've just got LOTR: War in the North for Christmas. Which is a co-op game too, so I am looking forward to playing it.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 53
RE: The PC Thread - 5/1/2012 8:22:34 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Is anyone else eagerly anticipating Natural Selection 2 or NS2?

Here's a cracking video:

YouTube (click)

Post #: 54
RE: The PC Thread - 5/1/2012 8:40:38 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Anyone else on Steam? PM me your id and i'll add ya as a friend.

I'm clownfoot21.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 55
RE: The PC Thread - 8/1/2012 7:44:07 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Anyone on Steam (if not, what the hell are you doing?! ) who hasn't got the Half-Life mod Natural Selection, I urge you to download it. It's great and offers a nice spin on the marine vs xenomorph scenario.

H-L at time of e-print is 5.99 so it's very cheap to buy. See here:

Steam

The NS mod doesn't take much HDD and as I said it's free. See here:

Steam

NS pits the marines or 'Frontiersmen' against the Kharaa aliens. The Frontiersmen have a commander who is a regular player using the commander's console, which gives you a bird's eye view of the map very much like a RTS game. The commander gives orders, drops structures for other players to build, upgrades the team's weaponry and armour in addition to giving the team additional equipment such as jetpacks. The Kharaa have three hive locations where they must build a hive structure which looks like a giant living organ. Each new hive that's built unlocks a new type of structure which can then be built anywhere on the map and gives the team access to more abilities and even creatures to gestate into. The two sides fight over resource points, over which each team builds their respective resource harvesting machine/node. The aliens need builders to create structures including hives and various types of nodes. Therefore they don't rely on a single commander like the Frontiersmen do.

Anyone who wants a game, PM and I'll find us a good server we can practice on with bots.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 56
RE: The PC Thread - 21/3/2012 4:02:58 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Anyone bought any new games?

Games that I highly recommend are:

Minecraft

Spring games (need to download and install Spring RTS engine first)

As I mentioned elsewhere, Spring RTS is a RTS game engine which is used by various games. Such as Spring: 1944, Star Wars: Imperial Winter and Balanced Annihilation. It's open source/freeware so you don't pay for it. But it has an active community and there are regular updates released. Plus there's a resource file site which has tons of maps, in-game widgets, software releases and other things for Spring.

Another great programme I've been using is Tunngle:

Tunngle

It's like Hamachi but better. It's basically a P2P VPN programme for gamers, so you can host or join games on a VPN. It means that you can play games as if they were on a LAN but they're played over the internet instead. You just run the programme and join a network with fellow players i.e. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 2 and then you simply run the game and browse for LAN games. It's really handy and I've played Lord of the Rings: Conquest and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 on it.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/3/2012 4:04:24 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: The PC Thread - 21/3/2012 4:27:29 PM   
kata

Picked up Witcher 2 and Shogun total war 2 recently. Both are awesome.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 58
RE: The PC Thread - 25/3/2012 6:09:07 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I'm familiar with the Total War series as I have Medieval II: Total War but I haven't played the Witcher series, is it a RPG of some kind?

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 59
RE: The PC Thread - 25/3/2012 9:06:00 PM   
kata

quote:

I'm familiar with the Total War series as I have Medieval II: Total War but I haven't played the Witcher series, is it a RPG of some kind?

Yeah, think it's based on a book series. Been pretty good so far and apparently the first chapter is the worst so got high hopes for the rest.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The PC Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI