Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The PC Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The PC Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 12:16:26 PM   
Emyr Thy King

PC gaming looks a little...threadbare here. So here's a thread for anyone who likes their PC gaming. Whether you like to use STEAM a lot or any third-party software to play games. Discuss, compare, recommend and salivate over any PC games.

Let's start with our favourite game. Mine would be "Desert Combat", the mod for "BF1942". Going back a bit though.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self
Post #: 1
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 1:30:59 PM   
Drew_231

Well the two first games I bought for my own computer were
Discworld 2 : Missing Presumed (With Eric Idle doing Rincewinds voice), and 'The Last Express' by Jordan Mechner who did the Prince of Persia games

Both were brilliant, but I really urge anyone with an interest in adventure games to check out The Last Expres. Set on the Orient Express in 1914. Really the most outstanding game I have ever played

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 2
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 1:45:28 PM   
Ell

Great thread idea.

My first foray into PC gaming came via Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars. Anyone who has played the game will agree that the goat segment in Ireland is one of the most painstakingly frustrating moments in gaming history!

PC gaming definitely got me sucked into the world of multiplayer. Of course, it was always possible for two-player modes before this, but were it not for the first instalment of Unreal Tournament on PC, and a very cool secondary school network administrator that set the game up on the LAN network for after-school sessions, I'd have been very late to the party. The franchise is probably my favourite FPS series also. Without coming across as too much of a snob, I love the genre on the PC.

My PC gaming days are definitely much more limited today. I only play Football Manager and the odd couple hours of Total War for good measure, both via Steam.

Speaking of Steam, should anyone be after a bargain, they are currently selling the complete GTA catalogue for 4.99!

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 3
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 2:15:42 PM   
batcountry84

Well I'm just waiting for my pc to be delivered and off I go. :)
Batman Arkham City and Shogun 2 will be the first games to play.

Although thanks to Ell, I may have to purchase the GTA complete collection. That is a major steal!
If I buy today, I don't have to download them on my PC straight away do I?
I've never bought before so I dunno how it works.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 4
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 2:39:51 PM   
Drew_231

No you dont
You buy it and then its stored for you to download whenever you want

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 5
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 3:26:06 PM   
kata

Played pretty much everything worth playing on PC in the last 6 years.  Only now is my latest PC showing its age.  Girlfriend uses it for her mmorpg more than i do at the moment though.  Will probably be building/upgrading in the new year at some point.

Played a bit of the BF3 beta but this PC can only handle it on medium settings so I'm gonna wait and see what pans out.

Currently dabbling in Silent Hunter 5 and Men of war: Vietnam.  Was looking at The Witcher 2 (having played the first) but then it got announced for Xbox so I'll be getting it on that.

Also fancy Red Orchestra 2.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 6
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 3:53:21 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata
Was looking at The Witcher 2 (having played the first) but then it got announced for Xbox so I'll be getting it on that.

Without a doubt get it, on any platform. Its one of the best games of the last couple of years

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 7
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 4:59:21 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell
Great thread idea.

To pay tribute to your king, you must kiss the ring...

"Broken Sword" is a great game. I actually played it on the PS1 but it's a solid adventure/puzzle game. One of my other favourite games for the PC is the original "Deus Ex". Such an open-ended world with quite an intricate plot and you can choose which path to take. Plus it was funny walking into the ladies' toilets only to get a stern ticking off by a fellow female colleague and then the boss. Also the disco scene in Hong Kong with the two ladies dancing with one another -- one the ingenue who's a little nervous -- the other more assured and assertive is priceless to watch and just shows the attention to detail. Hacking security terminals, exploding men in black, knocking people unconsciously and dumping them in the river, oh and that nano sword. Doesn't get better than that!

Drew_231
, have you ever played a game called "Day of the Tentacle"? Marvelously irreverent stuff with a mini-game in it and a fair bit of time-travelling which is split among three characters. Each having to help out the other in their respective time periods, a bit crazy but fun. That game on floppy diskettes, about three or four?

kata
, have you played "Theatre of War 3: Korea"?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/10/2011 5:06:55 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 8
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:05:29 PM   
batcountry84

Cool, will probably buy that GTA series then.
Anybody played GTA4 on the pc? I heard there were issues.

Btw, Emyr, what you think of those specs on my PC n00b thread?

Ell, don't kiss Emyr's ring, you dunno if Emyr's had a curry.

Post #: 9
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:11:41 PM   
directorscut

http://www.gog.com/ is a great site. Has many of the best games ever made, have frequent sales and games are configured to run on current OS like Windows 7 so you don't have to mess around with DOSBox for hours.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 10
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:13:16 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Kiss the bloody ring! 

Very good specs there mate.

The LGA1155 socket CPUs have come into their own, offering a cheaper alternative to the 1366 socket. I think there's a 2xxx one on the way! Good CPU speed there mate which is important. I would never go below 3GHz personally. But the good thing with hardware such as a CPU is you can overclock it, providing you know what you're doing. I see your CPU has HD graphics, that would on-board graphics rendering with the processor? Asus are a very good brand when it comes to motherboards and Corsair do good memory sticks. Hopefully they haven't given you a shoddy PSU.

What issues have you heard about concerning "GTA4"?

kata, what sort of specs are you looking at for your proposed upgrade/new build?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/10/2011 5:15:45 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:21:26 PM   
batcountry84

I don't have a clue about computers that much. I just searched around on the net to see whats the best I could buy for my money. I hope I've done ok.

quote:

I see your CPU has HD graphics, that would on-board graphics rendering with the processor?

Not quite sure. Not very tech savvy, but I asked the cyberpower guys and they said just run my GTX 560 alone cos I asked if I could run both card and onboard together like how people have 2 graphics cards. But they said nah.

They did mention my PSU can be a bit noisy but it depends on their definition of noisy. I couldn't afford to upgrade to a better branded one but this one was their own Cyberpower make so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. I can always turn up the volume! I opted for 700w cos the graphics card likes juice.

Regarding GTA4, I just heard it was a bit buggy, with it sticking during gameplay and few other glitches.

Post #: 12
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:34:38 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I have 750W PSU, close enough! That'll be more than enough for you. Hopefully there's a good warranty on yours.

Maybe there's some patches for game? Perhaps even beta or community made ones. I'd sign up to a GTA4 forum and ask around mate. 

That's another great thing about gaming with PCs. Once you have a certain following for a game, you have an active community that makes custom content for the games. Always making playing the game a richer experience.

Speaking of GTA, see this video:

The Tumbler

Good shout for GOG.com directorscut!

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/10/2011 5:37:33 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 5:58:07 PM   
Ell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Kiss the bloody ring!

I wouldn't encourage that kind of behaviour round here. There are alternative places for your nastiness

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

Post #: 14
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 6:00:37 PM   
Emyr Thy King

True, but the gallows are empty today.

Besides, a show of fealty can never be classed under nastiness. Unless you're a cruel monarch... 

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 15
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 6:02:52 PM   
batcountry84

Cool Batman car. I just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB_xTne_Hgs&feature=related
Awesome.

If you buy through Steam, are the files installed on your pc as usual so you'd be able to install these mods?

Post #: 16
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 6:41:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Yes. If they're installed through Steam, then the files are just installed in the Steam folder. Here's a handy article:

Steam powered

Where each mod folder goes will vary depending on the game. Usually when you download a Mod, say if it's in ZIP format. It'll come with a readme text file explaining how to install it. It's worth using the Steam forums and finding the game you want there. As each game on Steam has its own section.

Haha nice video! There's even a Jurassic Park one.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 21/10/2011 6:53:10 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 7:33:16 PM   
borstal

I enjoyed PC gaming a few years ago. Starcraft, Halflife, Deus Ex and Black & White all took up too much time. Reading through this thread reminded me why I gave up on that great platform. I enjoy the minimum effort of console gaming.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 18
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 8:51:45 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I find there's room for both and I have a few games on the PS3. It depends on what mood you're in. Sometimes I like getting totally absorbed into a virtual reality such as in "Oblivion" for instance.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 19
RE: The PC Thread - 21/10/2011 10:31:47 PM   
batcountry84

I won't get into 'huge' games as I struggle to have a life off pc anyway thanks to HCF.
I've just purchased the GTA package on Steam. 4.99 is just too cheap to say no to.

< Message edited by batcountry84 -- 21/10/2011 10:34:20 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: The PC Thread - 22/10/2011 4:15:49 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

Drew_231, have you ever played a game called "Day of the Tentacle"? Marvelously irreverent stuff with a mini-game in it and a fair bit of time-travelling which is split among three characters. Each having to help out the other in their respective time periods, a bit crazy but fun. That game on floppy diskettes, about three or four?

Yup, some classic Lucasarts adventure gaming there (back before they focused entirely on Star Wars titles)
Full Throttle was another great one, more of an interactive movie, but great fun to play through

Post #: 21
RE: The PC Thread - 22/10/2011 5:05:17 PM   
kata

quote:

kata, what sort of specs are you looking at for your proposed upgrade/new build?

kata, have you played "Theatre of War 3: Korea"?

Nothing crazy, Core i5 based build. 4 or 8gb ram (depending on my budget), 1tb HDD,  GTX 560...  Something that will be comfy for a few years but still represents good value.  Currently on a Q6600 so it's still got some legs but I'm not happy lowering settings in newer games.

Nah not played that one, is it as good as Men of War?

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 22
RE: The PC Thread - 25/10/2011 1:36:58 PM   
batcountry84

Which is the better choice Call of Duty or Battlefield?

< Message edited by batcountry84 -- 25/10/2011 7:23:20 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 23
RE: The PC Thread - 27/10/2011 4:44:28 PM   
Emyr Thy King

For me, it would be Battlefield 3 hands down. Purely because it offers both infantry only maps in addition to larger vehicular maps. The only thing in which Modern Warefare 3 would be superior is in the single-player campaign which has pretty much been solid so far.

Decent build there Kata. I'm thinking for my next graphics card, I'll go for a 580 GTX. The price for the 590 is ridiculous, at least starting at the 560 mark. You could build a PC for that amount of money.

Drew_231, I never played Full Throttle but it did look like a good game when it was doing the rounds.

Any purchases you're looking forward to? For me it has to be Battlefield 3. There's midnight opening at the Game stores, I'm tempted to go.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 27/10/2011 4:45:12 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: The PC Thread - 28/10/2011 6:18:07 PM   
directorscut

GOG and Steam have Hallowe'en sales on now. Picked up quite a few titles, mostly old P&C adventure games.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 25
RE: The PC Thread - 28/10/2011 9:53:50 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

Which is the better choice Call of Duty or Battlefield?

Half-Life 2.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 26
RE: The PC Thread - 28/10/2011 10:41:45 PM   
batcountry84

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

GOG and Steam have Hallowe'en sales on now. Picked up quite a few titles, mostly old P&C adventure games.

Don't tell me these things. Just seen L4D 1 and 2 and Bioshock on there as well as Resi Evil 5. I'm gonna be skint....maybe not as skint as if they would be full price though

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27
RE: The PC Thread - 2/11/2011 6:33:05 PM   
Emyr Thy King

How are you finding Steam and its games Bats? 

I've re-discovered a gem from my youth: Transport Tycoon.

It's now available as an open-source game. Go here: OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 2/11/2011 6:35:02 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: The PC Thread - 2/11/2011 10:28:06 PM   
batcountry84

It's going pretty good Emyr.
So far I've purchased the complete GTA Series, Bioshock and got copy of Shogun 2.

I've been playing Team Fortress 2 which I'm getting the hang of but it's very manic. Fun to play now and again.

However I've just started Episodes from Liberty City - The Lost and Damned tonight and WOW! It's so much detail in comparison with PS2. Such an eye opener. I'm using the Xbox controller and it's smashing. Think I'm a convert.

As for Transport Tycoon, I could never get into that. I had the Transport, Railroad and my favourite.... Rollercoaster Tycoon. My god, those games could zap your entire life away. They're as bad as Theme Hospital. I'd start in morning and when I'd look at clock it'd be midnight. lol

Post #: 29
RE: The PC Thread - 3/11/2011 9:36:51 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

http://www.gog.com/ is a great site. Has many of the best games ever made, have frequent sales and games are configured to run on current OS like Windows 7 so you don't have to mess around with DOSBox for hours.

Have just checked out that site - they've got all the Baldur's Gate games!   Might just have to download a couple of these...

When I first got my PC waayyy back in '95 or so, it was mainly to be used as a games machine (and, of course, for finding porn on 'tinternet!)  When I think of the spec then and what I paid for it at the time, I don't know whether to laugh or cry   Still, it gave me many a happy hour of gaming.

One game that I got totally addicted to at the time was this one:

Anyone else play it?  It was basically a tactical shooter, in which you were in charge of a 4-man SAS team in WW2.  At the start of each mission, you chose your squad, kitted them out, then went off to complete several objectives.  God, I loved this game so much at the time.  Apparently it's now available as freeware, might be tempted to grab it...

It's sequel was damned impressive at the time, and provided my first ever experience of online multiplayer which, with a 56k modem, you can probably guess the outcome of!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The PC Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI