Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 20/10/2011 3:40:38 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 20/10/2011 3:40:38 AM   
Klamath

A sad day...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 20/10/2011 8:45:39 AM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

I would like to see this tackled on the big screen again, but I'm just not certain that it can be done. The story is tight enough, but I think too many will demand insane bodyshock visuals because... well... that's Akira. I don't think this would work so well in live action. Not on the scale that Akira should require.

I'm not convinced it will ever get made. If it does, I think it will be radically different to what we might be expecting.

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

Post #: 3
Unknown director and Garrett Hedlund? - 20/10/2011 9:20:03 AM   
Nicky C

I think the studio has such a tight grip on what they will and will not allow the movie to be that the big names have all been scared off one by one. They will now end up with the cr*p movie they have tried so long to avoid. I think they'll take as much of the cool visuals as possible and then try to repackage it for children ... who probably won't get it because some of the concepts are quite existential.

Post #: 4
I just dont see this working... - 20/10/2011 9:34:42 AM   
willy2fly

This movie will go either one of two ways - Full on dark twisted Akira faithful (yes please!!) or AKIRA for Twilight fans. Not saying they are gonna cast R Patz (who i think could make a good Tetsuo to be fair) but i think Warner will go for a rated 12 watered down version. That will be the death of AKIRA. My casting choices would be James Franco for Akira and Giovanni Ribbisi for Tetsuo.

Post #: 5
How can this be anything but a bad idea? - 20/10/2011 9:49:00 AM   
loafroaster

The only person who could do it justice is Ridley Scott, and he wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Post #: 6
This won't be the death of Akira!!! - 20/10/2011 12:32:41 PM   
Giddysamurai

What this film will demonstrate once and for all is just what a brilliant visionary Katsuhiro Otomo truly was when he created this franchise.

This film will fail because he won't have the level of involvement that he deserves to have and will show that no matter how many scriptwriters, star names or millions of dollars you throw at a project like this it means diddly-squat next to the talent of one visionary person.

Post #: 7
- 20/10/2011 1:28:07 PM   
ericcoyle

Almost every suggested possible star is too old. Akira is about tearaway teenage kids who really don't give a damn about anything. Without that it will be a total waste of time. Some casting ideas (Keanu Reeves?)are utterly ridiculous. So total unknowns please. And don't do it in 3D cos' that would be crap too.

Post #: 8
From the Man who brought you 'House of Wax'... - 20/10/2011 1:30:30 PM   
killakane

ok and Unknown, this so called *adaptation* will reek of compromise, would've been better if this were an all Japanese live action production, expect a title change to 'Allan'

Post #: 9
I remain optimistic - 20/10/2011 2:37:34 PM   
jrewing1000

I remain optimistic about this. Akira is surely one of the truly great Sci-Fi movies, and the fanbase / property owners will do everything they can to protect it. It's clear to me that this film shouldn't be a run-of-the-mill commercial project, but something far more profound and daring, much like Blade Runner (someone did earlier mention Ridley Scott). Akira should push boundaries and in the right hands, with the right aesthetic/decent effects/soundtrack/script reworking, this film could be special. So lets wait and see...

Post #: 10
- 20/10/2011 4:20:21 PM   
loretta27

I think Whitewashing the cast would be a HUGE mistake, and insult...don't have any hopes for this :'(

Post #: 11
bhbh - 20/10/2011 4:42:19 PM   
fergww

good bye everything i have ever loved...
just like everything else good you too have to be raped my corporate dick bags

Post #: 12
- 20/10/2011 7:48:27 PM   
sweetladybrick

Warner doesn't want to make a bad film, but it's about making money. Hopefully The Dark Knight shows that respect to the source material is the path to success, rather than the Batman & Robin approach. Besides, they handled Watchmen with aplomb- and it has the potential to be a Blade Runner. Not as if the original isn't already that good. Exporting the concept could work, but there's a lot of changes to be made. That's the scary part for the fans. I don't think this is necessary, but we might be surprised. Anyway, we can't stop them. The bastards.

Post #: 13
Anime in general - 20/10/2011 8:22:54 PM   
docksidedave

...Great news if they do it right and surely the tall one from Ant and Dec IS Tetsuo,(if they dub his accent, obv).I cannot believe Hollywood has not looked at many more of the wondrous anime stories that anyone who knows Japanese cinema, would know about,like my personal faves Cyber City 808,Devil Man,Spriggan and Ninja Scroll,(or did i hear Mr Decaprio was interested in that one).

Post #: 14
- 20/10/2011 11:20:12 PM   
John Firth

Don't they sort of need a hefty budget for Akira? Very hefty at that.

Post #: 15
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 22/10/2011 2:44:09 PM   
evildave69

I like to remain optimistic and previously I thought that with the right writer and director this could genuinely work. As some one else has said, Warner Bros. don't want to make a bad fim and they've got a good reputation for letting creators create rather than stifling them. However, this does reek of compromise. The budget is daft. $90 million is not enough to do a convincing job, although I'm guessing they're saving a bundle on a getting a second rate director. And I'm guessing it's no longer a trilogy. Although maybe they'll wait and see how it does and then make the other two in a Matrix style.

Post #: 16
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 22/10/2011 11:38:52 PM   
rich

It says greenlight, but reading the Variety article all I see is rumour and "possible" casting. I hope it stays in development hell where it belongs, white washing this classic is a total joke.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to evildave69)
Post #: 17
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 23/10/2011 8:36:22 AM   
jobloffski

Shame the Wachowski's made Speed Racer and not this.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 18
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 23/10/2011 5:14:06 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Shame the Wachowski's made Speed Racer and not this.

I'm glad they made Speed Racer and not this. Imagine them remaking a film that they basically stole from in the first place for The Matrix now that they seem to have run out of ideas.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 19
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 23/10/2011 6:29:24 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The problem is to make it faithful to the original it will have to be dark, violent and bloody expensive. Bloody expensive usually leads to watered down so the studio can market it to everyone to make their cash back.

Personally I think if you are making intelligent blockbusters that require serious CGI/FX work you should be looking at the new generation of CGI bods who can undercut Hollywood for example the guys who worked on Skyline. They can bring the effects needed to do justice to Akira but without breaking the bank hence you can stick to a darker vision. I'm not saying you should bring in anyone else connected to Skyline though

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 20
RE: Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight - 6/11/2011 5:56:43 PM   
Johnny_A

So many things could and probably will go wrong with this movie.
I actually think Garret H. is a good choice considering the options out there (an Unknown being the exception, but naturally I would know what Unknown would fit best).
Robert P. as Tetsuo, I dunno. I agree that he fits with the look of Tetsuo, but as for the acting part, I'm a loss. The only movie I've seen of his is Harry Potter and that's very brief. If the script of Akira is to borrow more from the graphic novels than the movie, then RP will be required to portray a more complex Tetsuo. GH as Kaneda wouldn't such a problem. Kaneda is pretty much the same in both mediums.
I wonder who will be cast in the other roles. I imagine that there'll be a pruning of sorts because the manga is large and the movie is still quite big as far as characters go. Wonder who will be minimalized or outright cut?
Hmmm...

The World May End Some Day, but not before I do.

Click Profile to check out Blog. It be funny!

Centurion ***
Paprika ****
The Expendables ***

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Akira Finally Gets The Greenlight Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI