Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 3:42:01 PM   
tommyjarvis

Yes people, it's what the world has been waiting for. The Stone Roses have confirmed they'll reunite for a series of gigs.

According to the NME story here:http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/59869

Now it could be awful but given the success of Blur, Pulp and Suede's recent reunions, it could also be amazing. If they play in Scotland I'll definitely be there.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!
Post #: 1
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 4:59:46 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

It's the original line up, so fingers crossed! It surely can't be any worse than Reading 96 - the only time I saw them (well, 50% of them) and it was the last show before they split, a mercy killing if ever there was one.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 2
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 5:01:56 PM   
borstal

Im there.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 3
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 5:07:05 PM   
Rhubarb

I have serious reservations about them returning as a live band - they didn't exactly have a stellar reputation first time around. And all of their solo careers seem to have run a bit out of steam. But having said that, seeing the pictures of the four of them together was really nice, and I probably will try and get tickets on Friday.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 4
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 5:49:14 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

If they play in Scotland I'll definitely be there.

Same, but it had better not be at T in the Park!

I'm tempted to go to Manchester, but I'm worried they're gonna announce more UK dates once these gigs have inevitably sold out in seconds.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

Post #: 5
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 6:19:44 PM   
big dawg

The inconsiderate bastards have only organised it for the same weekend as my wedding!

They are doing a "extensive world tour" though so no doubt there'll be a lot more UK dates announced soon. Hopefully new material will be coming out, or else it just looks like a money making exercise. Ticket prices will be interesting too. Minimum 60, do you think?

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 6
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 7:53:31 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I have serious reservations about them returning as a live band - they didn't exactly have a stellar reputation first time around. And all of their solo careers seem to have run a bit out of steam. But having said that, seeing the pictures of the four of them together was really nice, and I probably will try and get tickets on Friday.

You're joking right? I saw them with Squire (though sadly not Reni) and they were fucking awesome, and ask anyone old enough to have witnessed the original line-up in the late '80s/early '90s (or even just read some old reviews) and they'll tell you how magical they were live. Granted, Brown could never quite hit all the notes but it didn't matter when you were there.
And as for solo careers, there's only Brown who's ever had one and the last time I looked he was doing pretty well.
Basically, a tour is what I want - onstage is where they belong, I'd have far more reservations about them writing new material together.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:05:09 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Didn't Squire also release solo albums?

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 8
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:17:01 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

You're joking right? I saw them with Squire (though sadly not Reni) and they were fucking awesome, and ask anyone old enough to have witnessed the original line-up in the late '80s/early '90s (or even just read some old reviews) and they'll tell you how magical they were live. Granted, Brown could never quite hit all the notes but it didn't matter when you were there.

I just mean in general, i'm not saying they didn't have good shows, but people don't talk about Spike Island because it was a flawless performance, more that it was an event. Even the Empress Ballroom gig is a bit shonky on DVD. I just mean in terms of their reputation.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 9
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:17:05 PM   
horribleives

One with the Seahorses and two low-key solo albums though he officially retired from music to concentrate on his artwork after the second one. He certainly never had a solo career like Brown.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 10
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:19:57 PM   
Rhubarb

Squire's solo albums are quite good once you get past the fact that his voice is actually even worse than Ian Brown's.

As for Brown's solo career, it started great, I maintain that Unfinished Monkey Business is a bit of a forgetten gem, but his last couple have been quite so-so.

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 18/10/2011 8:21:08 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 11
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:22:58 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

I just mean in general, i'm not saying they didn't have good shows, but people don't talk about Spike Island because it was a flawless performance, more that it was an event. Even the Empress Ballroom gig is a bit shonky on DVD. I just mean in terms of their reputation.

True, Spike Island was by the band's own admission a terrible show, and yeah, that Empress recording sounds very dodgy in parts. But I bet it was amazing if you were in that crowd. And for a few years they certainly had a reputation as one of the most electrifying bands around, I remember that in particular as I was too young to see them but had to put up with NME and Melody Maker banging on about their 'religious' performances every other week.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 12
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 18/10/2011 8:27:26 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

True, Spike Island was by the band's own admission a terrible show, and yeah, that Empress recording sounds very dodgy in parts. But I bet it was amazing if you were in that crowd. And for a few years they certainly had a reputation as one of the most electrifying bands around, I remember that in particular as I was too young to see them but had to put up with NME and Melody Maker banging on about their 'religious' performances every other week.

Well yeah but at the same time, I have flicked through NME's and MM's from the era that see the band being question on a few shonky shows as well, I seem to remember one interview critisising the Ally Pally gig for example (Ian and Mani disagreed on whether this was actually a good show or not). Maybe just more hit and miss. I don't think they are remembered as a great live band now is all, anyway. Like I said, I would still like to see them, despite reservations I might have.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 13
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 19/10/2011 2:07:33 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'll be going all out to get tickets for the Saturday show in Heaton Park. I missed out on the Pulp reunion, I'm going to try and make sure I don't miss out on this one as well.

Fully expecting them to be shit mind, but that's not the point .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 14
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 19/10/2011 2:29:26 PM   
sharkboy

I saw them twice during their glory days, in '88 and '90.  Both times they blew me away.  The 90 gig sounded a bit ropey, but it was the acoustics of the venue (mail hall in a local leisure centre) rather than the performance of the band that was to blame.

I'm pretty excited to read that after Manchester, they intend to play Ireland, so I'm hoping for a Belfast gig again (slim chance of that though!).  They've also said they don't want to do festivals but rather headline one-off gigs, so fret not T In The Park/Oxegen/Glastonbury haters!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 15
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 19/10/2011 7:53:07 PM   
gazpop

Sweeeeet. I knew I was a bit late in starting this thread. Although I do get the news before some of you. Hang on. We live in a digital world on this one yeah?
Anyway, Sharkboy, how jealous am I? I hear such conflicting stories about their live gigs from various types. Going on votes alone, it would seem the not so good/crap ones outweigh the amazing ones. Still, JS has had time to stop being a twat and Ian has been able to work out what he can and can't do live. I saw him at a gig in Islington. Carling something or other. Not being funny. Carling, er, Empire? No. Carling, oh bugger it. Suffice to say the beer on tap was Car-fucking-ling.
It was amazing (not the beer).And it may be a confused memory vis a vis another Browniasm, or to something he said at an earlier gig, but he had a bit of beer thrown on the stage that night somehow and he was like "eeeeh arrr, don't fuck with me strides man!". Can someone please correct me if I was actually off my pickle and creating fake shit in my mind to anecdotalise. That a word?
I'd like to hear from peeps on here who have met him and have got some great stories so when I wade in I can wade knowing mine are pretty crap in comparison. Me and Thandie Newton though? That's a dine-out number.

Edit : Academy, right?

< Message edited by gazpop -- 19/10/2011 7:54:31 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 8:18:30 AM   
borstal

In a spectular move almost as disasterous as The Roses end I missed out on them twice. The first was the legendary Blackpool Empress Ballroom gig. My cousin was going but my 15 year old brain hadnt been exposed to them so said no to an offer of being taken. The second time was Spike Island. I had no ticket but a van full of people I knew pulled up outside some shops I'd just come out of. When they opened the door a plume of weed smoke spewed out and they asked me if I wanted to jump in to Widnes. The thought of sitting in there breathing in all that was awful for me having recently quit drugs due to ending up in hospital on them.

So with James, The Carpets and The Mondays ticked off my bands I needed to see before I die list it just leaves The Roses (Smiths and New Order aint gonna happen!).

All this talk of performance and Browns voice is a bit pointless. Ive been to see Ian Brown three times and have had such a good time being drunk and singing along that I havent really noticed his voice. Even better times when he sang a couple of Roses tracks. If your at Heaton Park in June and you find yourself thinking...'mmm Im not enjoying this gig because Ian Brown isnt the best vocalist around' then fuck off to a Michael Buble concert. Its about wallowing in the past of your murky youth, listening to some fucking stupendous tunes, getting messy and being part of something.

Theres a reason there will be a fuckload of balding, paunchy 40ish men grinning like loons in the beautiful Manchester rain in June. That first album. Its a true soundtrack to lives. Its an album that brought together pretty much all tribes. Indie kids, students, hooligans, trainer gazers, naval gazers, scrotes off the estates all bought into that glorious, swooping slice of dancing rock perfection.

For me there has never been such a perfect 'band' as on that album. Without any one of those four playing it wouldnt have worked anywhere near as well. You can sit through the whole album and marvel at each component. Drums, bass, guitar, singing (both lead and backing), lyrics and just 'think fuck me thats ace'.

So come tomorrow, 9.30 and I'll be on the phone and laptop with credit card at the ready. Not quite the same as standing outside the GMex in town paying on the door to see the Carpets

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 17
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 8:36:46 AM   
jonson

Will probably chekc this out. Seen them live a couple of times in the early 90's and was distinctly unimpressed (I am more of a music man than a performance man tbh) but still regret to this day giving my 12.53 vinyl version of Fools Gold to a friend when I had had enough of them. The Charlatans were 10 times better live IMO, but still, it's great to see them together again, despite the fact it is purely about money and they will, I guarantee, be a compete let-down.
They look fucking rough as well, and haven't seen the insides of a dentist for a couple of decades

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 18
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 9:40:35 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

So with James, The Carpets and The Mondays ticked off my bands I needed to see before I die list it just leaves The Roses (Smiths and New Order aint gonna happen!).

**How to piss off Borstal in one easy move...**

As well as James, the Inspirals and the Mondays, I saw the Smiths 4 times in the 80s and New Order twice.  Smiths were brilliant, New Order decidedly crap!

quote:

All this talk of performance and Browns voice is a bit pointless. Ive been to see Ian Brown three times and have had such a good time being drunk and singing along that I havent really noticed his voice. Even better times when he sang a couple of Roses tracks. If your at Heaton Park in June and you find yourself thinking...'mmm Im not enjoying this gig because Ian Brown isnt the best vocalist around' then fuck off to a Michael Buble concert. Its about wallowing in the past of your murky youth, listening to some fucking stupendous tunes, getting messy and being part of something.

Theres a reason there will be a fuckload of balding, paunchy 40ish men grinning like loons in the beautiful Manchester rain in June. That first album. Its a true soundtrack to lives. Its an album that brought together pretty much all tribes. Indie kids, students, hooligans, trainer gazers, naval gazers, scrotes off the estates all bought into that glorious, swooping slice of dancing rock perfection.

For me there has never been such a perfect 'band' as on that album. Without any one of those four playing it wouldnt have worked anywhere near as well. You can sit through the whole album and marvel at each component. Drums, bass, guitar, singing (both lead and backing), lyrics and just 'think fuck me thats ace'.

So come tomorrow, 9.30 and I'll be on the phone and laptop with credit card at the ready. Not quite the same as standing outside the GMex in town paying on the door to see the Carpets

Well said mate!  I'll be waiting for the Irish dates, but this is definitely one not to miss

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 19
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 11:24:29 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

The Charlatans were 10 times better live IMO

Bloody hell, really? The Charlatans are one of the worst bands I've ever seen live. Only a hernia or the after-effects of death could justify standing that still on a stage for two hours. They were blown away by the support. Daytona, since you ask. Remember them? No.

I'm going to see the Roses. I was going to go to Spike Island, but I had some really bad gear on the way and I couldn't handle it because I was six.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 20
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 11:51:17 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

**How to piss off Borstal in one easy move...**

As well as James, the Inspirals and the Mondays, I saw the Smiths 4 times in the 80s and New Order twice. Smiths were brilliant, New Order decidedly crap!

T**T!

Im off to see Hooky in November who is playing some NO stuff. Yes the twattyest person in a band ever!

quote:

I'll be waiting for the Irish dates, but this is definitely one not to miss

Didnt Ian Brown say Ireland is his next favoured place to play?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 21
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 12:44:12 PM   
Toby Monroe

They've instantly lost half their cool points by announcing this via a press conference. I'd expect that kind of thing from the Spice Girls, or Level 42.

Arseholes.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

Post #: 22
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 1:58:13 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

I'll be waiting for the Irish dates, but this is definitely one not to miss

Didnt Ian Brown say Ireland is his next favoured place to play?

Yeah, that's been pretty widely reported over here, so hopefully it'll be a nice one-off outside gig with some decent support.

Speaking of Hooky, and to keep the thread on-topic, didn't he and Mani have a serious falling out recently over Hooky's decision to abandon Freebass to tour playing Unknown Pleasures?  If I recall, there was a remark made about "dragging his best friends corpse around Europe to make money" or something like that - ouch!

WWLD?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 23
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 2:02:10 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Speaking of Hooky, and to keep the thread on-topic, didn't he and Mani have a serious falling out recently over Hooky's decision to abandon Freebass to tour playing Unknown Pleasures? If I recall, there was a remark made about "dragging his best friends corpse around Europe to make money" or something like that - ouch!

That's a rather unfair comment.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 24
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 2:19:52 PM   
Rhubarb

Hooky is a bit of a tosser these days though. Me and Olaf were actually planning a Parent Trap style scenario, where I go and chat to Barney and he goes and chats to Hooky and we get them to come out to the same bar and then they bump into each other by "Accident" and make up, and then we get thanks in the linear notes of the next New Order album.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 25
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 2:27:08 PM   
sharkboy

I've tracked down the comments in question.  Apparently it came from Mani's twitter feed:

quote:

In September 2010, relations between Mounfield and Hook appeared to have soured. On 6 September, Mounfield posted on his Twitter stream (@Maniscream) "Peter Hook's wallet" was "visible from space" because it was "stuffed with Ian Curtis blood money". He further posted that "he ain't got time for me now he's getting fortunes for dragging his mates cadaver round the world getting himself paid". Mounfield finally appeared to devolve himself of the 'Freebass' group by stating he "Can't be doing with talentless nostalgia fuckwit whores". 

Gotta admire the irony of that last statement!

WWLD?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 26
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 2:32:10 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Hooky is a bit of a tosser these days though. Me and Olaf were actually planning a Parent Trap style scenario, where I go and chat to Barney and he goes and chats to Hooky and we get them to come out to the same bar and then they bump into each other by "Accident" and make up, and then we get thanks in the linear notes of the next New Order album.

You're deadly serious, aren't you?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 27
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 2:41:51 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

You're deadly serious, aren't you?

Of course. I will be playing the Lindsay Lohan role and Olaf will be playing the Lindsay Lohan role. I was sort of joking about the Linear notes though, I don't think people buy CDs anymore.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 28
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 7:28:38 PM   
gazpop

I really don't know where to start with this thread. Plus I'm drunk. Monster Cat? You're my Ginger Baker!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 29
RE: The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection - 20/10/2011 7:32:24 PM   
Rhubarb

Start with my plan to get New Order back.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Stone Roses reunite - It Is The Resurrection Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI