Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 20/6/2012 2:46:14 AM   
benny the jet

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

As you wish.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Really, what exactly did I do that wasn't accidental?

Most web browsers come with a built-in Google field. Top right corner. Can you see it? It's that little box that says "Google" in it. Takes up about 1/4 of your toolbar. Can't miss it. Which is why I assume you didn't.

quote:

...are you accusing me of being racist? I really hope you're not otherwise were going to have some pretty f***ing serious words here mate!

I'm sure you're a top bloke. But I found what you said to be in poor taste. Very poor taste.

But I didn't accuse you of being racist. I simply described your comment as "borderline racism". "Borderline". As in, "Watch yourself. You don't want to be saying shit like that in a public place where you could end up with a black eye...or worse."

It was a shot across the bow. Some free advice. So holster the outrage and take it as a favour from me to you.

Borderline racism imocould just have easily said bruised eye
ffs there was no racism here

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 91
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 20/6/2012 5:40:40 PM   
jon5000

Got to be Nick Love.

He represents everything I dislike in cinema. The man does not deserve the amazing job he has.

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 92
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 20/6/2012 7:43:41 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Got to be Nick Love.

He represents everything I dislike in cinema. The man does not deserve the amazing job he has.

Good shout.

Rob Zombie, Eli Roth, Paul W S Anderson although I did enjoy Death Race his best film is still Event Horizon. Wayans Brothers.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 93
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/6/2012 1:16:20 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Got to be Nick Love.

I haven't seen one of his films but to be fair they all look like shite "cockney geezer oiy-oiy" type of gubbins. And he came across like a total cunt on Top Gear.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 94
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/6/2012 1:20:50 AM   
MonsterCat

A few choice moments from Nick Love's and DANNY DYARRRR's Outlaw DVD commentary.

Fackin' click on fackin link, ya fackin cants!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 95
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/6/2012 1:30:40 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Nick Love's films stink the place out but it's Paul W.S. Anderson for me. Shockingly inept filmmaker.

And there's no justice. As soon as I want to film my wife performing in slo-mo, it's off to marriage guidance!

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 21/6/2012 1:31:12 AM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 96
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/6/2012 1:46:40 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

A few choice moments from Nick Love's and DANNY DYARRRR's Outlaw DVD commentary.

Fackin' click on fackin link, ya fackin cants!

At one point Love compares his film to Scum! What a proper pair of bell-ends.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 97
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 17/6/2013 3:43:46 PM   
Platter

I may have found the worst director of all time - Jonathan Levine.

I've just watched All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, which I thought was a steaming turd of a massive shite. I then IMDBed the movie and saw the director's credits:

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006)
The Wackness (2008)
50/50 (2011)
Warm Bodies (2013)

This is a seriously bad career.

I hate the first movie, failed to finish the next two and haven't seen the fourth. Publicity material makes Warm Bodies look like a poor film in my opinion, but with this track record I expect a terrible movie now.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane review:
Awful, woefully dull non-event of a film. Nothing happens for about an hour and then some brief, poorly staged action takes place; then it's topped off with a horribly fumbled twist. Just such a massive waste of time. The script is piss-poor and the direction very weak. The cinematography is a weird combination of over lit and under lit lighting along with pointless MTV style visual effects from time to time. All the characters are unlikable and the lead is one of the most boring people ever put on film. She is so boring that the writer struggles to put any dialogue in her mouth or sustain any conversations between her and the other characters. The whole thing was just an annoying, pointless bore. There wasn't much violence, and the kills were poorly filmed. For a slasher it had nothing to offer. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention at the end, but I didn't hear any explanation for the motivation of the bad guy. Why do no competent writers and directors ever make horror films? Why is it always left up to the talentless to make them? I hated this film. Truly terrible.

1 out of 10

The Wackness looked promising but I gave up on the movie about twenty or thirty minutes in as it annoyed me so much.

50/50 review:
It doesn't work, nothing was clicking. Eventually it became boring so I quit 50 minutes in after they pick up the two girls. A failed movie.

1 out of 10

-------------------------------

M. Night.

His problem IMO is that hes stuck in the 50s. His techniques and sensibilities are from that era. If he was making and releasing films alongside Hitchcock they would be great. This isnt the 50s anymore. That controlled, mannered acting; those long barely edited sequences; the relaxed pacing etc. His movies look old fashioned and comical to a modern audience. Hes a 50s director working in the 00s and 10s, and hes very, very out of place.

< Message edited by Platter -- 17/6/2013 3:44:27 PM >

My novel:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Cuckoo-Island-ebook/dp/B00EIP4ZVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377097535&sr=1-4

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 98
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 17/6/2013 6:18:24 PM   
bydabeachman

Hahahahahahhaha The Room is ridiculous! I enjoy Tim and Eric's version a lot better than the orginal Oink Oink Oink

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 99
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 19/7/2013 12:35:10 PM   
Dude McNude

Harmony Korine gets my vote.

I find his work pompous, pretentious and downright dull.

Sometimes I write here:

http://www.deathbymovies.com/author/chrisw/

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 100
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 20/7/2013 12:37:25 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dude McNude

Harmony Korine gets my vote.

I find his work pompous, pretentious and downright dull.

Another vote for Korine.

Spring Breakers was terrible beyond belief.

Say what now?

(in reply to Dude McNude)
Post #: 101
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 23/7/2013 5:26:48 PM   
Mr Gittes

I have no self control, so I think I'd probably kill the Wayan brothers if I ever met them. Lucas at least gave us Star Wars, so probably just a kick in the nuts for him. A sharp slap for Shyamalan, hopefully smarten him up. I wouldn't give Bay the time of day (no rhyme intended). I also really, really don't like Guy Ritchie.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 102
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2013 5:16:41 PM   
Judge

Probably controversial around here but Zac Snyder.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 103
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2013 5:32:14 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Probably controversial around here but Zac Snyder.

If he has a right behind anything, it's the camera. It's the page he shouldn't be near.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 104
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 15/12/2013 2:07:28 PM   
adamthehorrorfan

Michael Bay.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 105
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 28/12/2013 7:55:22 PM   
Chris Boomen

Woody Allen, in my opinion, is a terrible filmmaker. A lot of you will disagree, but I have never seen a film by him that appealed to me in any way. Midnight in Paris was crap, and that was the movie from which on I hated Owen Wilson. Annie Hall, is annoying to put it simple. My hate probably comes from his writing/acting because I hate his characters probably more than the movies.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 106
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 23/1/2014 4:37:59 PM   
Lord Varys

Quentin Tarantino...

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 107
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 23/1/2014 5:31:17 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

Woody Allen, in my opinion, is a terrible filmmaker. A lot of you will disagree, but I have never seen a film by him that appealed to me in any way.

I used to think the same thing for years, I never liked any Allen films I had seen which was mostly his newer stuff. But when I first joined this forum someone (can't remember who it was, maybe rick_7) recommended I watch The Purple Rose of Cairo which I thought was fantastic. Since then I've watched Radio Days, Broadway Danny Rose, Hannah and Her Sisters and Crimes and Misdemeanors which I thought were all excellent. So I would recommend checking out his 80s period films if you haven't seen them yet.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 108
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 18/2/2014 12:40:35 PM   
Chronicle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Varys

Quentin Tarantino...

Wut?

I'm joining on Paul W.S. Anderson. How people still payed to see all those sequels for Resident Evil is a real mystery to me. I don't know how these directors still pull it of to raise budgets for films like Pompeii. You start to wonder if those studio executives ever watch films..

Disagree on Shyamalan though. He has indeed made bad movies recently, The Last Airbender was a disaster and I won't even bother watching the one with Will Smith and his son. But I'm a big fan of his earlier work, I still think Signs (except the ending) is one of the scariest movies I've seen. The atmosphere and suspense in that film is great.

(in reply to Lord Varys)
Post #: 109
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 18/2/2014 7:03:57 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

I'm joining on Paul W.S. Anderson. How people still payed to see all those sequels for Resident Evil is a real mystery to me. I don't know how these directors still pull it of to raise budgets for films like Pompeii. You start to wonder if those studio executives ever watch films..

Anderson's films are relatively cheap to make and they turn a profit. That's how he's been able to work as long as he has.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 110
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 19/2/2014 3:03:36 PM   
Chronicle

Damn you're right, just checked box-office mojo.. His resident evil sequels make over 250 million Oo And the piece of crap that the Three Musketeers was even got to 130 mil.

People really have no taste..

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 111
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 19/2/2014 11:04:14 PM   
DMoyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Varys

Quentin Tarantino...

(in reply to Lord Varys)
Post #: 112
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 20/2/2014 4:41:55 AM   
Peregrine Took

M. Night Shyamalan. What I find most difficult to comprehend is that there are still morons in the business who are prepared to finance the moronic drivel that this talentless hack keeps churning out with such monotonous regularity.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is there it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened

(in reply to DMoyes)
Post #: 113
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 1/7/2014 11:30:05 PM   
Ax101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peregrine Took

M. Night Shyamalan. What I find most difficult to comprehend is that there are still morons in the business who are prepared to finance the moronic drivel that this talentless hack keeps churning out with such monotonous regularity.

M. Night is anything but a talentless hack. Whether you like his movies or not the film techniques used in Signs, The Village, Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are fantastic. His camera angles in those films are insane and his cinematography is spot on.
I love the opening of Signs where you see the photo of Gibson's wife and the cross on the wall. Instantly you learn so much about the character's past.

(in reply to Peregrine Took)
Post #: 114
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/7/2014 8:33:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ax101

quote:

M. Night is anything but a talentless hack. Whether you like his movies or not the film techniques used in Signs, The Village, Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are fantastic. His camera angles in those films are insane and his cinematography is spot on.
I love the opening of Signs where you see the photo of Gibson's wife and the cross on the wall. Instantly you learn so much about the character's past.

Whatever.His films are still shit.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 115
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 4/7/2014 12:36:14 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

While I don't agree he's a hack, to try and sell him as some visionary director is going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Saying he's a great director because of his insane angles is a bit like saying John Goodman's paunch makes him a great actor. His directing really is very much by the numbers. Watching his films is like picking up a book on directing or cinematography from your shelf and turning a page. I'm not saying that makes him bad. You could say that about 99% of directors. It's what separates those directors whose names we know from those we don't. The vast majority of films are shot using stock set-ups, religious adherence to Hitchcock's rule or the rule of thirds. Doesn't make you a bad director. Just means you are nothing exceptional. And therein lies the problem ...he's a normal, everyday, average director who thanks to a moment of inspiration got put in the spotlight and has been shown up for being ... an average Joe.

All purely imo of course.

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 116
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 8/7/2014 3:31:53 PM   
Ax101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

You used the word 'shit' to describe 2001 as well. It would be nice to see you provide more of an explanation rather than just 'Nah its shit' about everything. Especially when you have an avatar of the Phantom Menace', a film that begins with a fish/horse thing called Jar Jar that looks like a half-chewed Drumstick lolly and ends with a guy with fannyrash on his face getting his horn on and whipping out his doubled edge dildo for some 2 on 1 action.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

While I don't agree he's a hack, to try and sell him as some visionary director is going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Saying he's a great director because of his insane angles is a bit like saying John Goodman's paunch makes him a great actor. His directing really is very much by the numbers. Watching his films is like picking up a book on directing or cinematography from your shelf and turning a page. I'm not saying that makes him bad. You could say that about 99% of directors. It's what separates those directors whose names we know from those we don't. The vast majority of films are shot using stock set-ups, religious adherence to Hitchcock's rule or the rule of thirds. Doesn't make you a bad director. Just means you are nothing exceptional. And therein lies the problem ...he's a normal, everyday, average director who thanks to a moment of inspiration got put in the spotlight and has been shown up for being ... an average Joe.

I don't think he's a great director just because of his camera angles, I just used that as an example. My point was that he is not a talentless hack. He isn't really an average joe either, how many of us have four great films to our names? I do agree that he definitely adheres to Hitchcock's rules.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 117
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 8/7/2014 5:10:51 PM   
Whistler

Have to agree with Ax here. While Shyamalan's latest output has been tosh of the highest order, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are great, and I like Signs and The Village too.

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 118
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 8/7/2014 8:42:06 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

You used the word 'shit' to describe 2001 as well. It would be nice to see you provide more of an explanation rather than just 'Nah its shit' about everything. Especially when you have an avatar of the Phantom Menace', a film that begins with a fish/horse thing called Jar Jar that looks like a half-chewed Drumstick lolly and ends with a guy with fannyrash on his face getting his horn on and whipping out his doubled edge dildo for some 2 on 1 action.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

I don't think he's a great director just because of his camera angles, I just used that as an example. My point was that he is not a talentless hack. He isn't really an average joe either, how many of us have four great films to our names? I do agree that he definitely adheres to Hitchcock's rules.

I think your response to my post..is shit.

Just like Shymalyan and his films.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 119
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 9/7/2014 12:03:51 AM   
rich

quote:

You used the word 'shit' to describe 2001 as well.
It would be nice to see you provide more of an explanation rather than just 'Nah its shit' about everything. Especially when you have an avatar of the Phantom Menace'

And King Kong just now. Kind of an odd starting point for any real discussion.

Mr. M Night can direct, I think that some ego problems and him writing this stuff alone spoiled it, maybe he just believed his own hype or lost his marbles along the way. I mean I kind of liked The Village, but Lady in the Water was incredibly poor as far as basic plot and characters go... and the ending to Signs is just rubbish when you consider aliens coming to a planet two thirds covered in water... What was he thinking?

< Message edited by rich -- 9/7/2014 12:08:12 AM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Ax101)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI