Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 12:56:53 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

M. Night Shamoolymooly is utterly dreadful and his films are tedious, banal drivel.

Your inability to spell his name right sadly invalidates your point.

Lol we all know who I meant though so it kind of doesn't

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 61
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 12:07:56 PM   
Scruffybobby

You're still an awful racist though.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 62
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 1:42:09 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Don't be so hard on him, I think he's a tremendous racist [/jokeadaptedfromCaddyshack]. Unless 'he' is a 'she', in which case I've just shown myself to be a sexist.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 63
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 2:25:34 PM   
garvielloken

Bret Ratner. I'm not a big fan of the X men in general but Bryan Singer made two very good films and then Ratner basically shit all over Singers good work with the Last Stand. Oh, Marcus Nispel is awful aswell, like a third rate Michael Bay.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 64
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 4:06:19 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Don't be so hard on him, I think he's a tremendous racist
[/jokeadaptedfromCaddyshack]. Unless 'he' is a 'she', in which case I've just shown myself to be a sexist.

Bah-boom-tish!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 65
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 30/10/2011 8:13:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Bret Ratner. I'm not a big fan of the X men in general but Bryan Singer made two very good films and then Ratner basically shit all over Singers good work with the Last Stand. Oh, Marcus Nispel is awful aswell, like a third rate Michael Bay.

Rat-ner should be strung up by his balls for what he did to the X-Men films with that abomination which i wont even mention hence wasting my breath. Singer is partly responisble though for jumping ship to go and make Superman Loves Again , so he deserves to pelted with vegetables!!

As for who i think is the worst director ever and a ddisgrace to filmdom, you cant go wrong (or can) with the Strauss brothers!! A total waste of celluloid space!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 66
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 31/10/2011 2:59:15 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Rat-ner should be strung up by his balls for what he did to the X-Men films with that abomination which i wont even mention hence wasting my breath. Singer is partly responisble though for jumping ship to go and make Superman Loves Again , so he deserves to pelted with vegetables!!

As for who i think is the worst director ever and a ddisgrace to filmdom, you cant go wrong (or can) with the Strauss brothers!! A total waste of celluloid space!

Yeah, Singer should have stayed on to finish the X men trilogy but I don't blame him for wanting to make Superman. What I do blame him for is worshipping Richard Donners version too much and not even trying to make his own version. That and the fact that Superman Returns is possibly the most boring superhero film ever.

And as for the Strauss brothers, I still don't understand why studios keep hiring music video directors and special effects people to direct big budget films when they turn in soulless crap almost every time.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 67
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 31/10/2011 3:56:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

The fact that Ratner, McG, Michael Bay, Uwe Boll and the like still get to make films whilst the studios won't touch a true visionary like Terry Gilliam really boils my piss.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 68
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 31/10/2011 5:04:15 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

The fact that Ratner, McG, Michael Bay, Uwe Boll and the like still get to make films whilst the studios won't touch a true visionary like Terry Gilliam really boils my piss.

This ^

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 69
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 1/11/2011 4:01:22 AM   
max314

quote:

Bottom line is these guys turn a profit. Except Uwe Boll, who seems to be taking advantage of a German fiscal policy regarding film grants.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

Post #: 70
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 2/11/2011 7:17:26 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

I think Ratner is a hack and that X-Men 3 is inferior to the previous films, but I thought that it could have been so much worse. I've seen it twice and if approached with lowered expectations it's perfectly watchable. Ratner does an OK job in replicating the style of the earlier films and characters and themes are consisted with what went before. The film even has a few good set pieces. It's just a shame that he relegated the Dark Phoenix storyline Singer would have focused on, to second banana status. In a way I blame Singer more for dropping X-Men and going off to make that tedious Superman film. I think X-Men Origins Wolverine is worse.

Agree with you on those Strauss goons. AvP2 is one of the most incompetent directing jobs I've ever seen. It made AvP1 look like Citizen Kane.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 71
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 2/11/2011 7:33:35 PM   
Saltire

Tbh though your watching the AvP series for the CGI alone, there doesnt need to be much direction for films like that.

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 72
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 2/11/2011 7:52:17 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

Tbh though your watching the AvP series for the CGI alone, there doesnt need to be much direction for films like that.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm always hoping that they'll throw in a story and a few thrills when I go and see film like that. I work in effects and animation, so I look at CGI all day long. BTW., for much of the time it was impossible to see the CGI in AvP2. Someone seems to have forgotten to open the aperture on the camera, it was that dark.

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 2/11/2011 8:35:50 PM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 73
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 11:49:24 AM   
horribleives

Mind, as terrible as it was, I couldn't help but thoroughly enjoy Skyline. And its batshit ludicrous ending.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 74
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 4:43:25 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

The rest of his filmography ranges from "good" to "phenomenal". The Sixth Sense is the obvious one, but Unbreakable is fast becoming a cult favourite. I think The Village was a tragically misunderstood film, partially because people thought it was a horror film, and partially because they spent most of the run time trying to figure out the twist instead of investing in the relationships. Signs is solid, but like its cousin The War of the Worlds, it suffers from a somewhat unsatisfying ending. Lady in the Water was a curious film, if a tad overindulgent an ominous foreshadowing of what would become the modus operandi in The Happening.

A bit late in the game but I just wanted to add that I agree with almost every word of this. The only bit I disagree with is where The Happening is called terrible - though I realise I'm almost completely alone in this opinion I thought it was very effective and some of the shots were extremely well-crafted (the reveal of why there are ladders in the middle of the road, the falling bodies). But, again, that just speaks to his skills as a visual artist and not a writer.

I'm particularly please to see The Village getting some kudos and an accurate description of why some didn't like it. That is a gorgeous and haunting film and my personal favourite of all of his.

Having said that I haven't seen The Last Airbender and by all accounts I'm better off by not doing so.

< Message edited by Buddy Ackerman -- 3/11/2011 4:44:22 PM >

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 75
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 5:11:57 PM   
horribleives

I reckon The Lady In The Water is his most heinous film. Bearing in mind he can't act, the fact he put himself in the movie at all is bad enough, but to cast himself as a writer whose work is the solution to saving the world (or something) is almost offensively arrogant.
I actually like his first four films because in each case the story, sense of mystery, assured direction and strong performances are enough to excuse the gaping plot-holes. But evrything from LITW onwards has been just dreadful and he's become a self-absorbed, egotistical bore in interviews too. He needs to stop. Now.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Buddy Ackerman)
Post #: 76
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 5:20:01 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

the fact he put himself in the movie at all is bad enough, but to cast himself as a writer whose work is the solution to saving the world (or something) is almost offensively arrogant.

I'd agree with this. But I'd also say that the film itself was extremely well directed, as was The Happening (acting aside, perhaps). His writing may have dipped (and, unfortunately, his arrogance does seem to have increased according to the way he's portrayed in media reports) but his skill at shooting a film hasn't diminished (again, I haven't seen The Last Airbender). He just needs stronger material to produce an all-round quality film again.

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 77
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 5:33:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

the fact he put himself in the movie at all is bad enough, but to cast himself as a writer whose work is the solution to saving the world (or something) is almost offensively arrogant.

I'd agree with this. But I'd also say that the film itself was extremely well directed, as was The Happening (acting aside, perhaps). His writing may have dipped (and, unfortunately, his arrogance does seem to have increased according to the way he's portrayed in media reports) but his skill at shooting a film hasn't diminished (again, I haven't seen The Last Airbender). He just needs stronger material to produce an all-round quality film again.

I agree. If he swallowed his pride and worked with a brilliant script from another writer (let's say the type of stuff likely to get a Fincher or a Scorsese excited) he could yet make a masterpiece.

Post #: 78
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 5:35:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

(again, I haven't seen The Last Airbender).

Avoid it at all cost. Without doubt the worst film I've seen in at least the last 5 years.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 79
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 6:12:54 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

quote:

(again, I haven't seen The Last Airbender).

Avoid it at all cost. Without doubt the worst film I've seen in at least the last 5 years.

Advice very much noted, thank you.

Post #: 80
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 3/11/2011 9:11:09 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herr Schnitzel

In a way I blame Singer more for dropping X-Men and going off to make that tedious Superman film.

Singer's responsible for the awfulness of a film he had nothing to do with? A bizarre view, HS.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 81
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 4/11/2011 6:09:33 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Call me old fashioned, but I'm always hoping that they'll throw in a story and a few thrills when I go and see film like that. I work in effects and animation, so I look at CGI all day long. BTW., for much of the time it was impossible to see the CGI in AvP2. Someone seems to have forgotten to open the aperture on the camera, it was that dark.

Yeah I don't watch films like that anymore, they are so predictable and usually banal. There is almost no story and overloaded with CGI. Absolutely disgusted with 95% of Hollywood films now - I want stories and characters - looks like I'm get old fashioned myself now hehe!

Post #: 82
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 5/11/2011 10:41:34 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

Helps if you can see what's going on with AVP 2 I could not see what was going on most of the time because it was so dark.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 83
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 13/12/2011 3:07:54 PM   
scarletsmith

quote:

M. Night Shamoolymooly is utterly dreadful and his films are tedious, banal drivel.

His recent films, absolutely. But The Sixth Sense is utterly brilliant, Unbreakable is still one of the best-made superhero stories I've ever seen on film, and even Signs has moments of amazing grace (but the ending is among the worst pieces of tripe I've ever had the displeasure of paying to see in a theater). Shyamalan lost his way, though, making The Village (absolutely killed by the least-surprising twists ever), and hasn't made a decent film since.

Post #: 84
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 13/12/2011 5:38:35 PM   
Saltire

Have watched all those films at one point or another and the first time I saw the Sixth Sense I knew within 15 mins what was gonna happen; Unbreakable I just felt was too slow and pointless, The Village was utterly forgettable though Signs did start off promisingly I admit, but yes it did finish terribly when they didn't know what to do after a while. Will not watch another of his films.

(in reply to scarletsmith)
Post #: 85
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 15/1/2012 1:27:06 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Michael Bay.That is all.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 86
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 15/1/2012 6:15:09 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Michael Bay.That is all.

No love for THE ROCK, DDD?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 87
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 15/1/2012 8:01:18 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Michael Bay.That is all.

No love for THE ROCK, DDD?

I liked The Rock...when I was a kid.
But I watched it again thinking Bay did a good job,how wrong was I.
The movie is all over the place.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 88
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 14/2/2012 9:27:07 PM   
Whistler

I've figured out the problem with Michael Bay. It's not that his movies have no substance, because the kind of movie he makes are ones that entertain you on a Friday night, when you want just want to sit back after a long week and watch shit blow up - but I only want to watch that for about an hour and a half. And that's the problem: all of his movies are overly-long. I did some t'internet research, and Bad Boys is Bay's shortest movie, running at a whole 2 hours! Every other movie he's made is at least two hours or longer (with Pearl Harbour running at a tedious 3), and that's just too long for one sitting of a zero-substance action-fest with crappy dialogue (even if Pearl Harbour thinks it isn't).

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 89
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 15/2/2012 9:09:00 AM   
st3veebee

Madonna.

I win

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI