Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 2:31:22 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

M. Night Shamoolymooly is utterly dreadful and his films are tedious, banal drivel.

Your inability to spell his name right sadly invalidates your point.

You don't want to hear how I pronounce it then! Something like "Shang-a-lang-a-ding-dong"...

... OK, maybe not the ding-dong bit but you get my point.

You been listening to The Bay City Rollers again?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 31
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 2:35:41 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

^ That is actually what I reference every time I'm made to pronounce the dude with the unpronounceable name's name.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 32
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 6:32:24 AM   
max314

quote:

M. Night Shamoolymooly is utterly dreadful and his films are tedious, banal drivel.

Putting his writing aside for a moment, Shyamalan is actually the best director working right now. His ability to stage scenes is unparallelled. Unlike many A-list directors working today, he doesn't suffer from an over-reliance on editing. He actually lets his shots breathe and tell the story.

The Happening is a terrible film, no argument. But even a piss poor film like that has strokes of genius, like the old woman in the house near the end of the film.

The rest of his filmography ranges from "good" to "phenomenal". The Sixth Sense is the obvious one, but Unbreakable is fast becoming a cult favourite. I think The Village was a tragically misunderstood film, partially because people thought it was a horror film, and partially because they spent most of the run time trying to figure out the twist instead of investing in the relationships. Signs is solid, but like its cousin The War of the Worlds, it suffers from a somewhat unsatisfying ending. Lady in the Water was a curious film, if a tad overindulgent an ominous foreshadowing of what would become the modus operandi in The Happening.

Oh, and your borderline racism isn't half as funny as you think it is.

< Message edited by max314 -- 21/10/2011 6:33:16 AM >

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 33
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 12:17:58 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

Putting his writing aside for a moment, Shyamalan is actually the best director working right now. His ability to stage scenes is unparallelled. Unlike many A-list directors working today, he doesn't suffer from an over-reliance on editing. He actually lets his shots breathe and tell the story.

The Happening is a terrible film, no argument. But even a piss poor film like that has strokes of genius, like the old woman in the house near the end of the film.

The rest of his filmography ranges from "good" to "phenomenal". The Sixth Sense is the obvious one, but Unbreakable is fast becoming a cult favourite. I think The Village was a tragically misunderstood film, partially because people thought it was a horror film, and partially because they spent most of the run time trying to figure out the twist instead of investing in the relationships. Signs is solid, but like its cousin The War of the Worlds, it suffers from a somewhat unsatisfying ending. Lady in the Water was a curious film, if a tad overindulgent an ominous foreshadowing of what would become the modus operandi in The Happening.

As I said, I quite like Shyamalan's directorial style but stating that he is the best director working now is taking it a bit far. Part of being a good director has to do with having good judgement when it comes to choosing and shaping ones material and guiding actors performances. His choice of material has increasingly shown that the man has totally lost the plot, with his last two to four films (depending on ones tolerance) being almost total disasters that must have looked like bad ideas on paper. The Happening has has decent cast, all of whom give career worst performances under his direction.

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 21/10/2011 1:25:09 PM >

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 34
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 3:42:27 PM   
max314

You're correct that part of being a good director is knowing when you have good material to direct and, if not, being able to bring the material up to scratch either on your own or with collaborators.

On this front, Shyamalan is definitely sliding. Not unlike George Lucas, Shyamalan seems to be becoming more and more insular. His ego seems to be taking over. As evidence by his, "Written, Produced and Directed By" credits, I get the feeling he's listening less and less to third party opinions. It's as if the criticism he's received has pushed him further and further into himself. And that's a damn shame because as a director (I'm talking purely in terms of staging and visual interpretation of the script now) he is eye-wateringly talented.

< Message edited by max314 -- 21/10/2011 3:43:32 PM >

MAX

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 35
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 6:05:28 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

What borderline racism? That's a pretty strong accusation to make here. I take it your referring to "Shamoolymooly"? Well if so then you may as well take that up with Mark Kermode too, who usually calls him "Shawaddywaddy".

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 36
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 6:08:21 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

What borderline racism? That's a pretty strong accusation to make here. I take it your referring to "Shamoolymooly"? Well if so then you may as well take that up with Mark Kermode too, who usually calls him "Shawaddywaddy".

Agree with Spaldy here, most people can't pronounce my Gaelic name and I often get "Kia Ora" or whatever. I'm intelligent enough to realise however that they're not being racist! Any name in the English language that is slightly obscure perhaps, will come in for this.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 21/10/2011 6:09:55 PM >

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 9:10:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

What I think is funny, though, is the fact that Shyamalan isn't actually that difficult to say. A bit difficult to spell, yes, I had to look it up 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 38
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 21/10/2011 9:45:43 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

What I think is funny, though, is the fact that Shyamalan isn't actually that difficult to say. A bit difficult to spell, yes, I had to look it up 

At least we don't have this problem with McG...

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 39
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 1:45:27 AM   
max314

quote:

....you may as well take that up with Mark Kermode too, who usually calls him "Shawaddywaddy".

Got his number?

quote:

Agree with Spaldy here, most people can't pronounce my Gaelic name and I often get "Kia Ora" or whatever. I'm intelligent enough to realise however that they're not being racist! Any name in the English language that is slightly obscure perhaps, will come in for this.

It's not an accidental mispronunciation. It's a deliberate, malicious misspelling designed to mock.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

You're right, it's not difficult to say "Shyamalan". It's three syllables. Same number as "syllables". I wouldn't even say it's difficult to spell. It's exactly how it sounds, plus a silent "y".

But this is all besides the point. What Spaldron did wasn't accidental. Unlike you, he didn't take the time to look it up. And even if he did, he probably wouldn't care. What Spaldron said was no different to taking a Chinese surname, for example, and saying... Well, I'm not going to say it. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

< Message edited by max314 -- 22/10/2011 2:26:59 AM >

MAX

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 40
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 2:30:50 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

It's not an accidental mispronunciation. It's a deliberate, malicious misspelling designed to mock.

Erm, I really don't think it was but you'd maybe want to ask Saltire if he really meant it in a malicious way first before throwing accusations about.

quote:

But this is all besides the point. What Spaldron did wasn't accidental. Unlike you, he didn't take the time to look it up. And even if he did, he probably wouldn't care. What Spaldron said was no different to taking a Chinese surname, for example, and saying... Well, I'm not going to say it. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Really, what exactly did I do that wasn't accidental? Like by pointing out your clear misunderstanding of the situation and referring you to Britain's leading film critic who often deliberately mispronounces the names of big stars and directors in jest. People are perfectly entitled to make fun of Shayamalan's name if they want, it doesn't make them racist.

And what Chinese surname are you on about and are you accusing me of being racist? I really hope you're not otherwise were going to have some pretty f***ing serious words here mate!

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 41
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 2:56:15 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

What makes you so sure? You seem pretty self righteous in your accusation there. I wouldn't say that Saltire was being "racist" (as you said up thread). It's all too easy to tag someone with that word just because they're perhaps making humour of a name they can't pronounce!

There is a huge difference between racism and "mocking". People mock people's name all the time and just because Mr. Shyamalan has an Indian name does not mean that's why people mispronounce his name and are being racist... I genuinely mispronounce it because it's hard to remember and I know I'll end up pronouncing it wrong anyway.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 22/10/2011 2:57:45 AM >

Art

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 42
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 4:49:30 AM   
max314

quote:

There is a huge difference between racism and "mocking".

There is also an overlap.

MAX

Post #: 43
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 5:58:49 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

There is a huge difference between racism and "mocking".

There is also an overlap.

No I don't think there is. Are you going to address what I said upthread in response to your post?

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 44
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 1:12:20 PM   
max314

As you wish.

quote:

Really, what exactly did I do that wasn't accidental?

Most web browsers come with a built-in Google field. Top right corner. Can you see it? It's that little box that says "Google" in it. Takes up about 1/4 of your toolbar. Can't miss it. Which is why I assume you didn't.

quote:

...are you accusing me of being racist? I really hope you're not otherwise were going to have some pretty f***ing serious words here mate!

I'm sure you're a top bloke. But I found what you said to be in poor taste. Very poor taste.

But I didn't accuse you of being racist. I simply described your comment as "borderline racism". "Borderline". As in, "Watch yourself. You don't want to be saying shit like that in a public place where you could end up with a black eye...or worse."

It was a shot across the bow. Some free advice. So holster the outrage and take it as a favour from me to you.

< Message edited by max314 -- 22/10/2011 1:21:11 PM >

MAX

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 45
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 4:40:51 PM   
Scruffybobby

You do realise that Spaldy never made the original post right Max? He's simply pointing out that you're overrreacting a bit to Saltire's post. Which by the way I think you are too.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 46
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 4:48:34 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Scruffy's right, I think this has all been blown way out of the water here. Spaldron is one of the most Liberal people I know, he couldn't and wouldn't be "racist" if his life depended on it.

Art

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 47
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 5:18:10 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

It was a shot across the bow. Some free advice. So holster the outrage and take it as a favour from me to you.

Enough with the patronising.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

You do realise that Spaldy never made the original post right Max? He's simply pointing out that you're overrreacting a bit to Saltire's post. Which by the way I think you are too.

This ^

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 48
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 5:23:51 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Scruffy's right, I think this has all been blown way out of the water here. Spaldron is one of the most Liberal people I know, he couldn't and wouldn't be "racist" if his life depended on it.

This too ^

Post #: 49
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 6:56:30 PM   
max314

I found it offensive. I spoke my mind.

Do what you will.

MAX

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 50
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 8:03:29 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

I found it offensive. I spoke my mind.

Do what you will.

No, you accused me of being borderline racist for something I didn't even post.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 51
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 22/10/2011 9:45:54 PM   
max314

Yeah, that was meant for the other guy. I apologise for getting you two confused.

< Message edited by max314 -- 22/10/2011 9:46:17 PM >

MAX

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 52
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 23/10/2011 2:44:38 AM   
Rhubarb

Max are you saying Saltire and Spaldron look the same? That's pretty racist.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 53
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 23/10/2011 2:46:08 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Art

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 54
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 28/10/2011 11:18:44 PM   
dark crystal

In reply to the original question....

For me, I would say Morgan Spurlock. The guy is an imbecile of the highest order.

He makes the worst type of ill conceived, populist crap documentaries ever vomited onto celluloid. High school students could make more thought provoking and intelligent films than this charlatan. Does he honestly think his films say anything even remotely insightful or important?

His getting an Oscar nomination for 'Supersize Me' is an Oscar travesty second only to Tommy Lee Jones winning Best Supporting actor in The Fugitive over Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

Post #: 55
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 29/10/2011 12:37:02 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: dark crystal

For me, I would say Morgan Spurlock. The guy is an imbecile of the highest order.

He makes the worst type of ill conceived, populist crap documentaries ever vomited onto celluloid. High school students could make more thought provoking and intelligent films than this charlatan. Does he honestly think his films say anything even remotely insightful or important?

His getting an Oscar nomination for 'Supersize Me' is an Oscar travesty second only to Tommy Lee Jones winning Best Supporting actor in The Fugitive over Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List.

Supersize Me is a great film. Not all documentaries have to be academic and insightful. They can be fun and goofy sometimes.

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 56
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 29/10/2011 12:58:37 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

I can't believe Joel Schumacher is still making films. The shop window decorator's approach to film-making.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 57
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 29/10/2011 1:06:14 AM   
Hood_Man

Supersize Me was an entertaining epic fail for me. I enjoyed it immensely, but I was craving pretty much everything he ate from McDonalds by the end of it!

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 58
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 29/10/2011 3:49:11 AM   
dark crystal

quote:

quote:

Supersize Me is a great film. Not all documentaries have to be academic and insightful. They can be fun and goofy sometimes.

Sorry, but it's not a great film!

The guy took it upon himself to eat junk food (in this case, the convienient whipping boy McDonalds) three times a day for a month and not exercise. He then concludes that doing this causes him to - guess what - put on weight!!! A revelation indeed. Any schmuck could have told you that.

This film is the equivalent of blaming Microsoft for people choosing to spend 20 hours a day in front of a computer screen.

I have no problem with a documentary being fun or goofy, as long as it has something of substance behind it. None of Spurlock's films do. They are simplistic, populist crap of the highest order.

< Message edited by dark crystal -- 29/10/2011 3:50:38 AM >

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 59
RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera - 29/10/2011 4:59:47 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry, but it's not a great film!

The guy took it upon himself to eat junk food (in this case, the convienient whipping boy McDonalds) three times a day for a month and not exercise. He then concludes that doing this causes him to - guess what - put on weight!!! A revelation indeed. Any schmuck could have told you that.

This film is the equivalent of blaming Microsoft for people choosing to spend 20 hours a day in front of a computer screen.

I have no problem with a documentary being fun or goofy, as long as it has something of substance behind it. None of Spurlock's films do. They are simplistic, populist crap of the highest order.

Disagree. Have you seen his new film? I've heard good things about it.

(in reply to dark crystal)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Directors who have no right behind the camera Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI