Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: iPad edition & newsstand

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: iPad edition & newsstand Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 1/12/2011 4:06:01 PM   
giallomovie

Just a question, I'm counting on subscribing for a year next month and was wondering what will happen when I subscribe? Will I have to buy the new issue but won't be charged or will it automatically start downloading each month? I heard people had problem with subscriptions on other newstand magazines where they paid the subscription and got charged again when they purchased the issue.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 61
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 1/12/2011 4:16:48 PM   
James Dyer

If you subscribe to the iPad edition specifically then you'll just be able to download each issue as it's released (not purchase them). I genuinely don't know if they download in the background... that's probably something I should find out!

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to giallomovie)
Post #: 62
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 2/12/2011 10:47:13 AM   
giallomovie

Perfect, thanks :) will do next month!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 63
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 5/12/2011 11:07:37 PM   
Cockeye

Maybe I can help there James? I subscribed and the batman issue appeared as purchased automatically. I still had to download it manually though.

Post #: 64
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 8/12/2011 2:33:13 PM   
Nithrin

Hi there James!

Looking at the Empire Newsstand app today, I get four options when i press Subscribe:

3 months for 105,00 SEK (being in Sweden)
6 months for 198,00 SEK
1 Year for (null)
1 Year for 319,00

Is the (null) option a teaser that the option for us Paper Magazine subscribers to get the iPad version at no extra cost is actually on its way?

Cheers,

(in reply to Cockeye)
Post #: 65
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 8/12/2011 3:09:17 PM   
James Dyer

No, the null was.... well, a cock up. It gives you a rolling monthly subscription but doesn't actually work. We're geting a new version of the app approved that will take that out.

Sorry!

(in reply to Nithrin)
Post #: 66
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 9/12/2011 8:57:35 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

No, the null was.... well, a cock up. It gives you a rolling monthly subscription but doesn't actually work. We're geting a new version of the app approved that will take that out.

Sorry!

Gutted... I was hoping that this was the long awaited free subscription option for print subscribers. I thought Christmas had come early...

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 67
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 10/12/2011 11:48:29 PM   
Robclaisse

Love the iPad mag but the process of download an issue is so frustrating! I have to leave the app open and wait for it to complete downloading, nothing happens in the background. And new issues don't download automatically - I though that was e whole point of mag subscriptions?

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 68
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 14/12/2011 6:40:10 PM   
Daarrgh

Ok seriously......
I am about to leave home for a long haul trip. Nothing better than an issue of Empire to kill all those hours.
I have just paid for the 1 year subscription to Empire via Newstand on iPad. I have even received confirmation of the purchase from iTunes.

What next?
Where is my mag?
Subscription option gone.
Purchase of individual issues are still available.
I am NOT trying that as I know I will spend half a day on the phone trying to get a refund.

Little help please?

(in reply to Robclaisse)
Post #: 69
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 15/12/2011 3:06:25 PM   
James Dyer

You're the second person who's asked this. The only thing I can think is that the subscription will start with the next issue (out on Tuesday) instead of the current one. I have literally no idea why. I'll take it up with Apple/Adobe and try to find out.

(in reply to Daarrgh)
Post #: 70
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 15/12/2011 10:54:25 PM   
Robclaisse

Hey James, I'm assuming you're replying to Daarrgh above, could you response to me point & issue? I used to read Empire every month with the paper version but and I want to use the iPad version (especially as I've padi for a subscription) but this downloading issue is a pain in the arse. At night I go in the Empire app hoping magically the next issue has downloaded, but nope, so I start downloading it, wait for a few minutes get bored looking at a slowly moving progress bar and go read something online which immediately pauses the download. So I never get round to reading Empire mag anymore. Please sort this out - just give us background downloading of magazines, its really not that hard (have an iOS developed for work and we have background downloading of large video files and it really was pretty simple to implement!). Would be grateful of a reply...

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 71
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/12/2011 12:37:58 AM   
Danialysia

Hi,

I subscribed for a 3 month subscription on 12/12/11, recieved confirmation of payment through apple, yet the most recent edition will not download. I get no error messages, I have restored purchases several times, deleted then re-installed the app, and I also waited for the January Issue to release and still nothing. I have complained to Apple, who directed me to this forum, so could someone please tell me how I can use this subscription, or how I can get a refund?

Thank you

(in reply to Robclaisse)
Post #: 72
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/12/2011 2:43:27 PM   
Rutger2

James,

I subscriped today for a year but can't download any issue for free.
When will my subscription period start?

Alas I read about problems with downloading after I subscribed. E.g. no. 68.

Let me just ad one thing.
I can't understand how it is possible that the option to subscribe is open, when it doesn't work and it is known that it doesn't work. I think then it should be shut down until problems are solved.

< Message edited by Rutger2 -- 19/12/2011 5:50:36 PM >

(in reply to csrogue)
Post #: 73
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/12/2011 4:06:31 PM   
giallomovie

Well I guess I'm not going to subscribe for a year before the issue is resolved!

(in reply to Rutger2)
Post #: 74
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/12/2011 9:38:29 PM   
Gerdav

About the background downloading on your iPad go to settings then Store and there will be a Empire option there above "automatically download new content when on wi fi" just make sure Empire is set to on.

With the above issue 271 did downloaded for me in the background without me doing a thing, I didn't even open the app on the day it was released to check for the new issue, I just had the red 1 icon appear over newsstand, and the Batman cover had replaced the Mission Impossible cover, when I opened the app there was no downloading at all the issue was just ready to read.

Post #: 75
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/12/2011 10:51:45 AM   
Rutger2

By the way, it doesn't matter if I have chosen manual or automatically download.
In both cases nothing happens.

Additional information:
When I subscribed I had the Empire standard App installed (the one when you don't have a subscription). After I subscribed it is still the only Empire App I see and therefore when chosing it, I have the old options of buying seperate editions.
Of course I deleted this app and tried again, but I don't get another app (a kind of subsription app) and there lies the problem, I think.

(in reply to Gerdav)
Post #: 76
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/12/2011 7:18:44 PM   
Rutger2

A few minutes ago I tried again to get an Empire Magazine within my subscription. Now it worked. I could download the February issue.
So that's okay.
(Also that I would have liked to got the actual magazine as a free one.)

(in reply to Rutger2)
Post #: 77
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 14/1/2012 2:32:40 PM   
Lavender

I purchased a 12 month subscription but get an error message after downloading 2 mb of the feb edition. I'm told to exit the app and try again. But no joy. I had no problems downloading the free steven Speilberg issue. I see that there have been a few problems with the subscriptions - but I haven't found a solution. Will I have to wait until the march edition? The feb edition said "paid" on it. I haven't tried deleting the app yet... Is that the way to go?

(in reply to Rutger2)
Post #: 78
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/1/2012 2:03:58 PM   
Helen OHara

Hi Lavender,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you: our iPad guru is off right now so I'm scrambling to keep up. Anyway, our  best advice here, unfortunately, is that we think you need to remove and reinstall the app. That should get everything working again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Lavender)
Post #: 79
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 21/4/2012 8:03:17 AM   
Nickvgraham

Hi,

I just subscribed to the iPad 12 month edition but am unable to download this months issue. Only been given the option to purchase it. Why is this? I have tried uninstalling app and reinstalling and it does nothing. Considering the 12 month subscription is quite expensive it's annoyed me really... If anyone from empire could reply on how to sort this I would be greatly appreciative!

Nick

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 80
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 22/4/2012 8:06:24 PM   
Vergerus

Guess I have to join the screamingchoir here regarding the subscription ruccus. Was extremely eager to read the Prometheus issue. But instead of just buying that one I signed up for the 12 month subscription, expecting the magazine to start downloading as soon as the payment was done. But then, nothing happened. I'm positive the description mentioned that I would be entitled to 'latest' issue and not just the 'upcoming' ones. What to do?

(in reply to Nickvgraham)
Post #: 81
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 22/4/2012 8:55:22 PM   
huttonjoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nickvgraham

Hi,

I just subscribed to the iPad 12 month edition but am unable to download this months issue. Only been given the option to purchase it. Why is this? I have tried uninstalling app and reinstalling and it does nothing. Considering the 12 month subscription is quite expensive it's annoyed me really... If anyone from empire could reply on how to sort this I would be greatly appreciative!

Nick

This is the same for me also. Unacceptable and needs to be rectified or refunded please. What is being done about this?

(in reply to Nickvgraham)
Post #: 82
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 10:58:05 AM   
James Dyer

Just seen these. Clearly something's gone horribly wrong. Bear with me and I'll see if I can find out what.

(in reply to huttonjoe)
Post #: 83
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 11:54:30 AM   
LukeH91

I'm in the same boat after subscribing last night, the option to subscribe etc has been removed but the current issue still only has the option to buy. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 84
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 12:00:11 PM   
James Dyer

I've spoken to Adobe and they've tried something. Can someone experiencing this problem check now and see if it's still there?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 85
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 12:10:48 PM   
LukeH91

I have just tried to restore all purchases and then i uninstalled and re-installed the app, to no avail. The problem still seems to be persisting.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 86
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 12:11:47 PM   
James Dyer

Dammit. Will let them know.

(in reply to LukeH91)
Post #: 87
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 7:24:00 PM   
Vergerus

Any news about the subscription problems yet. Will the latest issue start downloading automatically as soon as the problems at adobe are fixed, or do I have to do something particular with my app to start it up?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 88
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 23/4/2012 10:09:22 PM   
Robot walk

I have the same problem. Bought a subscription last week but am prompted to pay when I try to download the latest issue. Please help!

(in reply to Vergerus)
Post #: 89
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 24/4/2012 4:38:24 PM   
Vergerus

Ugh, two days and still no magazine on my ipad. Pretty terrible first encounter with the wonder of reading mags on the tablet instead of having to buy the paper version. So, as mentioned I signed up for the subscription primarily for the 275 issue. What happens if the problems doesn't get resolved until the next issue is out? Do I have to buy the previous magazine outside of the subscription? That wouldn't be right, would it? I'm sure the people overseeing this are working hard at resolving the problems, but it would be helpful if we could get some updates.

Thanks.

(in reply to Robot walk)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: iPad edition & newsstand Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI