Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

iPad edition & newsstand

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> iPad edition & newsstand Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
iPad edition & newsstand - 14/10/2011 1:01:45 PM   
stevenje

Hi, I'm just wondering, with the launch of iOS5 and newsstand, if you will be updating your iPad app to be compatible with newsstand?

Thanks
Steve
Post #: 1
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 14/10/2011 2:23:27 PM   
James Dyer

Yes, that'll happen as soon as the subscriptions go live. My hope is monday.

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 2
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 17/10/2011 5:58:26 PM   
jmebaby25

* politely refreshes the page every five minutes in the hope that subscriptions (free for print subscribers) is going live today...

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 3
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 17/10/2011 10:21:56 PM   
mark.galloway

Any news yet? What will the process be for a print subscriber to download the iPad edition when the subscriptions finally go live? Is there a code to enter? Simply can't wait- love Empire, love my iPad.

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 4
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/10/2011 12:38:23 PM   
stevenje

Still no sign of subscriptions and Empire on Newsstand... I am getting inpatient :-)

(in reply to mark.galloway)
Post #: 5
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/10/2011 12:57:25 PM   
stevenje

Empire is today appearing in Newsstand, though the app has not been updated... Getting excited!!!!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 6
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/10/2011 12:59:47 PM   
Gerdav

I think the update is definitely coming today, after reading James post about hopefully Monday I just checked the App store and Empire is now in the featured section of NewsStand, right up the top with the scrolling ads, the app itself has not been updated just yet, but I can't see it being very long now.

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 7
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/10/2011 1:56:53 PM   
James Dyer

We submitted the new app last week but today Apple rejected our app update for suitably cryptic reasons that we're trying to get to the bottom of. We're hoping to resubmit tomorrow but we need them to tell us why they don't like it first! Why is nothing strraightforward?

As to why we're appearing in Newsstand, I've no idea. Sounds like Apple have rejected the update but prematurely shifted us into the Newsstand shopfront. I'll look into this and see if we can get it sorted!

(in reply to Gerdav)
Post #: 8
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 18/10/2011 2:12:32 PM   
stevenje

Ah! what a pain.. I'm sure iOS Apps have to be "just so".. Thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing the your app soon.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 9
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 1:55:59 AM   
sam89

The app has finally updated, with Newsstand compatibility. Downloading now!

EDIT: Downloaded, but I can't figure out how to subscribe. Any ideas?

< Message edited by sam89 -- 19/10/2011 2:00:46 AM >

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 10
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 2:21:40 AM   
etang77

quote:

ORIGINAL: sam89

The app has finally updated, with Newsstand compatibility. Downloading now!

EDIT: Downloaded, but I can't figure out how to subscribe. Any ideas?

I upgraded since reading your post.  I don't think the store has been upgraded to subscribe???

< Message edited by etang77 -- 19/10/2011 11:10:11 AM >

(in reply to sam89)
Post #: 11
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 6:53:26 AM   
mark.galloway

Ok, loving the fact that subscriptions are now available but I'm still wondering how, as a print subscriber, I can download the iPad edition without paying twice. James, you mentioned this was coming, is it just a case of waiting for this feature to be added or is there something I'm missing in the current (updated) app?

(in reply to etang77)
Post #: 12
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 7:39:25 AM   
KingofallSamurai

Aargh! Original iPad on iOS 5 crashes when I try and launch the updated app! Quitting and restarting app doesn't help ...

Follow the white rabbit ........

(in reply to mark.galloway)
Post #: 13
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 7:48:34 AM   
KingofallSamurai

OK, I was a bit hasty there - deleted and reinstalled and it works now. But I can't see where the subscriptions bit is ...!

Follow the white rabbit ........

(in reply to KingofallSamurai)
Post #: 14
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 8:19:14 AM   
James Dyer

Morning all. It seems Apple fasttracked the approval so we're now live! The downside is that you're right, the subscribe buttons don't seem to be on the shop page. I've asked our developer to get into this today and see if he can work out a) what went wrong and b) who I can have killed as a result.

In answer to the question about mag subs above - yes, just bear with us. As soon as the integration with the subs database is complete then there will be another app update where you'll be able to input your subscriber details to get it for free. The estimate on this is 3-4 weeks so you might want to pick up the December one in the meantime.

(in reply to KingofallSamurai)
Post #: 15
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 8:30:32 AM   
stevenje

Empire is live in Newsstand. Unfortunately there isn't an option to add or purchase a subscription, only an option to restore purchases..

S

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 16
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 9:16:07 AM   
Fincher

Ahh ok. I love the fact that Empire ipad is such good quality! I downloaded the Total Film app and the resolution was a bit lower so you have to zoom all the time. Kepp up the good work Empire!

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 17
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 9:19:24 AM   
James Dyer

I think I've sussed it. The subs offer is attached to the latest issue but if you've already bought it then it won't show up (as it's a purchase option). When the December issue goes on sale next week then the subscribe option should appear next to that as a purchase option.

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 18
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 10:46:38 AM   
mrapollo

Ok this is kind of annoying. Bought 6 month subscription this morning but the latest issue, Dragon Tattoo one which I had not bought yet is not downloading. Also, when I click restore all purchases, it thinks for a bit and then comes back with 'Restore All Purchases failed'. What's going on? This subscription seems like a terrible deal so far, is this just teething problems?

(in reply to stevenje)
Post #: 19
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 10:52:41 AM   
James Dyer

In all likelihood it's Adobe having server issues, maybe leave it a little while and try again. Don't worry, we'll make sure it all gets sorted out for you.

(in reply to mrapollo)
Post #: 20
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 11:20:53 AM   
rawky

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrapollo

Ok this is kind of annoying. Bought 6 month subscription this morning but the latest issue, Dragon Tattoo one which I had not bought yet is not downloading. Also, when I click restore all purchases, it thinks for a bit and then comes back with 'Restore All Purchases failed'. What's going on? This subscription seems like a terrible deal so far, is this just teething problems?

Yes, I'm getting the same thing. No restoring purchases and the latest issue doesn't download. Kind of irritating to start subscribing for the first time, and then not being able to read it.
Seems I have to be patient.

< Message edited by rawky -- 19/10/2011 5:30:10 PM >

(in reply to mrapollo)
Post #: 21
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 2:06:04 PM   
giallomovie

Can someone explain to me this a bit more clearly? Now that we have apple Newstand and that Empire is on them, does it mean that now I can't use the Empire app anymore and has to use the one which is in newstand and does it mean I have to redownload all the issues I bought on the newstand app?

(in reply to rawky)
Post #: 22
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 6:33:42 PM   
Fincher

The app automatically goes into newsstand and that's where it will live from now on.

(in reply to giallomovie)
Post #: 23
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 7:28:09 PM   
Rossman

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawky

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrapollo

Yes, I'm getting the same thing. No restoring purchases and the latest issue doesn't download. Kind of irritating to start subscribing for the first time, and then not being able to read it.
Seems I have to be patient.

I am also having exactly the same issue - NOT A HAPPY BUNNY !!!!!!!!

(in reply to rawky)
Post #: 24
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 7:51:29 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: giallomovie

Can someone explain to me this a bit more clearly? Now that we have apple Newstand and that Empire is on them, does it mean that now I can't use the Empire app anymore and has to use the one which is in newstand and does it mean I have to redownload all the issues I bought on the newstand app?

I had the Empire app and also Newsstand. I have just updated the app and it has automatically moved into Newsstand as giallomovie mentioned. When I went into it it asked if I wanted to restore my previous purchases which it has now done.

I'm guessing that I won't see the Subscribe button until the next new issue becomes available for purchase.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to giallomovie)
Post #: 25
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 19/10/2011 9:29:03 PM   
EOTech551

OK so I just became a Subscriber...Not really interested in a paper issue but I would like to know why the hell Ive just put my money upfront and can download an issue?

Do I have to wait for the next issue to come before downloading? Can I download the current issue and my subscription start from there? Its all a bit confusing, I have the App installed, its sitting nicely in Newsstand, I have a subscribe button which I've hit, paid my dues for the next 6 months and got confirmation from Apple......Hey Presto.....NO MAGAZINE!

Piss Poor....Can someone shed some light on what I need to do next...wait.....reinstall....purchase a magazine to get my subscription underway? Don't think I'll bother renewing even at this early stage.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 26
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/10/2011 9:08:08 AM   
mrapollo

So it's now nearly 24 hours after subscribing. New issue is still not downloading but now the app is stuck on 'Updating Library' and not doing anything. Does it look like there will be a fix for this anytime soon? Looking around here it seems I am not alone and there is no support contact other than this forum.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 27
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/10/2011 9:09:00 AM   
James Dyer

For everyone having problems downloading the Dragon Tattoo issue, what exactly is it doing? Are you getting an error message that interrupts the download? Is it downloading at all? Unfortunately I can't try myself as I've already bought the issue (yes, even I have to pay for them - damn you Apple!)

GIve me all the info you can and I'll beat Adobe round the head with it.

(in reply to EOTech551)
Post #: 28
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/10/2011 9:48:07 AM   
EOTech551

James, for me the only option I get is to download an issue with a cost attached! I don't want to be charged again so I'm not downloading. There is no download button just "subscribe" which I've already done or "buy" buttons. When hitting the subscribe button I get the window which contents the 3 or 6 month options. It says at the top..

"Select a digital Subscription option below. Your digital subscription will start immediately from the latest issue one you complete the purchase process"

This is something I've already done so the issue seems the system doesn't recognise Ive subscribed.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 29
RE: iPad edition & newsstand - 20/10/2011 9:48:47 AM   
csrogue

Same issue as those above. When you go into the empire app in newsstand and click subscription it processes and then gives an error message about trying to update later. You then receive an email saying subscription was successfull, but the magazine never downloads.

It doesnt look as if the app ever tries to download the magazine.

If you click on restore purchased you get the error. "Restore Purchases Failed".

Dissapointed I cant read the mag now I've subscribed, hopefully you can get this all sorted out soon.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> iPad edition & newsstand Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI