Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dogtooth - 14/10/2011 1:31:50 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Simply brillant masterpiece. - 14/10/2011 1:31:50 AM   
ARmy2510

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Perfect from start to finish.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 16/10/2011 8:18:21 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: ARmy2510

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Perfect from start to finish.

I agree with this post...from start to finish.

The Greeks are brilliant, wooden horses, gay sex, mid-level Eurovision entires, myth, the alphabet, lisps, kebabs, the human condition as we know it (through philosophy and that) gay sex, Harry Enfield stereotypes, islands, and....the evolved post-modenist black comedy that is Dogtooth.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 16/10/2011 8:20:16 PM >

(in reply to ARmy2510)
Post #: 3
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 19/10/2011 8:26:33 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

I found this to be one of the most overrated films of the last few years. Initially intrigued, I started to lose patience half way through when no discernible plot kicks in. It's just an ever escalating freak show to gawk at and ultimately fairly pointless. Just more artsploitation, desperate to get noticed.

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 19/10/2011 8:27:37 PM >

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 4
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 19/10/2011 11:18:33 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herr Schnitzel

I found this to be one of the most overrated films of the last few years. Initially intrigued, I started to lose patience half way through when no discernible plot kicks in. It's just an ever escalating freak show to gawk at and ultimately fairly pointless. Just more artsploitation, desperate to get noticed.

Aside for the part which deals with nurture and how one's education can form once perception of the world, which probably makes it the entire film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 5
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 20/10/2011 9:32:37 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Aside for the part which deals with nurture and how one's education can form once perception of the world, which probably makes it the entire film.

Only, having read quite a bit about similar real life cases, it didn't strike me as particularly psychologically acute. It felt all made up and therefore stuck me as somewhat exploitative. It reminded my of the 70s wacko cult film "The Baby", which was a similar "life is stranger than fiction, only this has never been life" type of film dealing with an adult whose development had been stunted by his family. I also saw the recent Greek film "Attenberg", which I found similarly disingenuous, by serving up lots of kookiness with the excuse of being a probing portrait of mental/emotional illness/dysfunction. Greek cinema is in danger of becoming a one trick pony of gratuitous weirdness.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 21/10/2011 1:39:50 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Only, having read quite a bit about similar real life cases, it didn't strike me as particularly psychologically acute. It felt all made up and therefore stuck me as somewhat exploitative. It reminded my of the 70s wacko cult film "The Baby", which was a similar "life is stranger than fiction, only this has never been life" type of film dealing with an adult whose development had been stunted by his family. I also saw the recent Greek film "Attenberg", which I found similarly disingenuous, by serving up lots of kookiness with the excuse of being a probing portrait of mental/emotional illness/dysfunction. Greek cinema is in danger of becoming a one trick pony of gratuitous weirdness.

It's not about psychology though, it deals with matters which are far more sociological, from the behavior the family shows to the more linguistic elements when it came with the definition of the words. I thought the whole idea was executed very well but it wasn't examined as fully as it could (some more play with words would have been nice).

Plus, Greek cinema was always more than a bit weird.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 7
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 22/10/2011 3:29:15 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I think realist versimilitude is one thing, but I know when I used to go boozing with Josef Fritzl I used to say "Joe, does your wife not mind you boozing to all hours, does she not give you gip?" and he used to say...'oul Joe was a bit of a card...he used to look wistfully off into the distance at the bar mirror, and say "...you know...not really."

And I think as young people...we could all learn a lot from that. 

And as young people could we not take Dogtooth quite so literally?  Or be so obviously anxious on behalf of a Sight-and-Sound review that we read which we tried to process and laboured to pass off as our own thoughts; our own opinion; or our own-half-read-half-informed mal-formed moral insight?

Maybe we could just giggle at a Josef Fritzl pater-familias coming home in response to the murder of a cat in his tattered red-inked rags of a Wiley-Coyote cartoon...and just..fucking giggle at it?

Maybe we could do that? 

Or maybe we could be jumped up and half-read and self-important about it?

Or maybe we could just fucking giggle at it?

I know the world I want to live in.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 22/10/2011 10:57:08 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 22/10/2011 10:08:33 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

double post

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 22/10/2011 10:19:59 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 22/10/2011 10:10:20 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I too know what world I want to live in. It's not yours.

Post #: 10
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 22/10/2011 10:52:36 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I too know what world I want to live in. It's not yours.

Considering that God doesn't exist Herr Frtizl...me and God find that a pretty fatuous remark to make under the circumstances. 

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 22/10/2011 10:58:52 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 22/10/2011 11:06:44 AM   
Deviation

Hey, I'll still enjoy it as the blackest of comedies.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 12
RE: Simply brillant masterpiece. - 25/10/2011 4:06:53 PM   
DaisyMorgan

I SOOOOOOOOOOO want to see this film!!!

DAISY x
No Win No Fee Compensation Claims.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 13
Dogtooth - 10/6/2012 4:43:25 AM   
norgizfox

Dogtooth is the result of amazing filmaking at it's best. The film offers a perspective on life that no film (or any other medium) has ever offered before. The more disturbing scenes sometimes go a little too far, but it's message ties to the narrative in a way that works beautifully.

Post #: 14
Heart-Stoppingly Visceral, Wonderfully Surreal - 15/2/2013 10:12:08 AM   
blaud

There are only so many ways you can applaud a motion picture like Dogtooth; it can become quite difficult to define what it is about such a film you find to be attractive, even enjoyable (in a strictly non-emotional sort of way). I have similar trouble when I recommend Eraserhead, struggling to find the right combination of words to describe what my eyes can just about comprehend. Dogtooth is a grimly humorous parable told in a nonlinear fashion and revolves around the daily life of a small family. To describe anything else relating to the story would be to take scenes out of context which I have absolutely no desire to do (if you're still curious, check out the trailer). The film is very well made, showcasing an innovative cinematography style that allows us, the viewers, to feel as though we're observing some kind of cruel performance art. Performances are also excellent, particularly on the part of the parent characters. Where Dogtooth really shines, however, is its story. Equal parts disturbing and emotional, Dogtooth is a visionary excursion into one family's surreal experiences simply living in the world the do (which at no point is comfirmed to be planet earth). It's most definitely not a film that everyone will enjoy, whether for its' graphic sexual content or its theme in general, but it is a film that those who embrace it will not forget.

Post #: 15
I have no idea what just happened. - 29/8/2013 11:58:45 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I know sometimes 'crazy' doesn't need a reason, and that the isolated world is built up meticulously, but (for my money) Lanthimos spends too much time focusing on the 'how' and not even touching the 'why'.
Dogtooth was made with real dedication, but ultimately wasn't made for me.
Then again, this film wasn't made for most people.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dogtooth Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI