Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should expect more (the whole review)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should expect more (the whole review) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 10:14:00 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

But if you have seen a film,and reviewed it,and i then slaughter your review without seeing the film,that is ridiculous.

That's how these clowns roll, unfortunately.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 61
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 10:19:02 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Bugger - with this title on the front page I thought it was the Tree of Life complainers back again.

As opposed to someone just not bothering to read any of the, still very few, posts that came before.

I am slightly disappointed that with both Spielberg and Jacksons names, this thread hasn't got to five pages yet.

POssibly Clowny's eagerness to start banning has helped with that one. It isn't as if we haven't made this point till we're blue in the face either.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 62
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 10:32:39 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I am slightly disappointed that with both Spielberg and Jacksons names, this thread hasn't got to five pages yet.

Five pages would mean more work for the Moderators, you monster.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 15/10/2011 2:37:45 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Give it a few more days.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 64
RE: RE: - 15/10/2011 9:32:34 AM   
abaddon

posted twice in error

< Message edited by abaddon -- 15/10/2011 9:34:26 AM >

(in reply to TOPOI)
Post #: 65
RE: RE: - 15/10/2011 11:45:20 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: abaddon

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOPOI

quote:

I generally like Empires reviews - erudite and informative without being full of spoilers, and not being a proffesional writer myself I would not dream of critiscising a reviewer writing style, however even I have to admit, this one was just bad, bad, bad...
It reminded me of one of those overly pretentious wine reviews a la Jilly Goolden but written by someone desperatly trying to impress with his extended vocabulary! Seriously Empire - I implore you, dont publish this review; it is alienating and affected.

Don't you mean 'professional', 'criticising', 'reviewer's','desperately'? Learn how to spell first before you have the nerve to criticise a professional's ability. It just makes it more obvious that you looked up 'erudite' on a thesaurus before typing it...

Well that's just rude – I thought people had moved past the grammar/spelling Nazi phase on forums, apparently I was wrong…
There is nothing wrong with my reading or spelling abilities; maybe I've become a bit too dependent on 'spellcheck' and my job as a prison officer doesn't call on me to write stuff down perfectly on a daily basis (generally I find X stabd/jugd/striped Y is sufficient to record the event), but small spelling errors aren't the end of the world and don't automatically exclude you from having an opinion on a piece of writing. Likewise knowing how to use a word like 'erudite' doesn't automatically mean I'm being hypocritical and reaching for the thesaurus to impress someone with a big word – I assure you all - my life isn't actually that sad…
I still find the review ridiculous, pretentious and not particularly informative; you like the review? That's good! I imagine there are films, books, albums etc. that we also disagree on – there may even be some that we both think are awesome. I'm never going to slam anyone down for disagreeing with me or indeed criticise their spelling or grammar, and I feel that others should try and do the same.
Instead of being 'brave' behind your monitor and insulting me (something I assume you wouldn't do to my face or to any other stranger on the street) why don't you tell me why you actually disagree with my opinion? What is it about this review you actually felt was great? What is it about this particular reviewer's style you like? It's a forum – it's meant to be a place to share thoughts and ideas not trade insults safe in anonymity…

Very early for this!
Have you seen the film?

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos
Post #: 66
- 15/10/2011 12:11:32 PM   
livapr99

I am super excited about the new movie, especially since I found that Steven Moffat was one of the screenwriters. Go Tintin!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 67
RE: RE: - 15/10/2011 3:43:42 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOPOI

quote:

I generally like Empires reviews - erudite and informative without being full of spoilers, and not being a proffesional writer myself I would not dream of critiscising a reviewer writing style, however even I have to admit, this one was just bad, bad, bad...
It reminded me of one of those overly pretentious wine reviews a la Jilly Goolden but written by someone desperatly trying to impress with his extended vocabulary! Seriously Empire - I implore you, dont publish this review; it is alienating and affected.

Don't you mean 'professional', 'criticising', 'reviewer's','desperately'? Learn how to spell first before you have the nerve to criticise a professional's ability. It just makes it more obvious that you looked up 'erudite' on a thesaurus before typing it...

Well that's just rude – I thought people had moved past the grammar/spelling Nazi phase on forums, apparently I was wrong…
There is nothing wrong with my reading or spelling abilities; maybe I've become a bit too dependent on 'spellcheck' and my job as a prison officer doesn't call on me to write stuff down perfectly on a daily basis (generally I find X stabd/jugd/striped Y is sufficient to record the event), but small spelling errors aren't the end of the world and don't automatically exclude you from having an opinion on a piece of writing. Likewise knowing how to use a word like 'erudite' doesn't automatically mean I'm being hypocritical and reaching for the thesaurus to impress someone with a big word – I assure you all - my life isn't actually that sad…
I still find the review ridiculous, pretentious and not particularly informative; you like the review? That's good! I imagine there are films, books, albums etc. that we also disagree on – there may even be some that we both think are awesome. I'm never going to slam anyone down for disagreeing with me or indeed criticise their spelling or grammar, and I feel that others should try and do the same.
Instead of being 'brave' behind your monitor and insulting me (something I assume you wouldn't do to my face or to any other stranger on the street) why don't you tell me why you actually disagree with my opinion? What is it about this review you actually felt was great? What is it about this particular reviewer's style you like? It's a forum – it's meant to be a place to share thoughts and ideas not trade insults safe in anonymity…

Very early for this!
Have you seen the film?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 68
Comments a mess - 17/10/2011 12:36:25 PM   
ronniem

Really Empire you need to sort out your Comments section...multiple reposts and all very messy in the end....just saying.

Post #: 69
RE: RE: - 17/10/2011 2:14:36 PM   
TOPOI

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Easy tiger - go see Tintin and have a ball critiquing that - not the reviewer. Maybe visit one of those anger therapy/self-help sessions with the inmates in Wormwood Scrubs as well...
Post #: 70
awful review - 21/10/2011 1:33:26 PM   
neilempire12

This is my first visit to this site, and I must say this review is awful. If this is the kind of stuff published in the magazine I am glad I am not a subscriber. I agree with all the negative comments posted so far. Whoever employed this guy to review films should be ashamed. It's not even worth editing this drivel, as the whole review stinks. I think my 9 year old daughter could right a more informative review than this. What a pathetic, pretentious load of nonsense. Full of needlessly OTT grammar and pointless references that were clearly employed to try and make the guy sound itelligent.

Post #: 71
RE: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - 22/10/2011 8:09:36 PM   
demoncleaner

Totally scored preview tickets for tomorrow morning.  Me, three mates, an auditorium full of primary school kids and a fucking claw-hammer.

We're not in Kansas anymore Snowy!

Post #: 72
RE: awful review - 22/10/2011 8:15:29 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: neilempire12

This is my first visit to this site, and I must say this review is awful. If this is the kind of stuff published in the magazine I am glad I am not a subscriber. I agree with all the negative comments posted so far. Whoever employed this guy to review films should be ashamed. It's not even worth editing this drivel, as the whole review stinks. I think my 9 year old daughter could right a more informative review than this. What a pathetic, pretentious load of nonsense. Full of needlessly OTT grammar and pointless references that were clearly employed to try and make the guy sound itelligent.

You signed up just to write this?

(in reply to neilempire12)
Post #: 73
RE: awful review - 22/10/2011 8:35:32 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: neilempire12

You signed up just to write this?

Love it. "I signed up to post a disparaging comment on the one review I've seen on the website of a magazine I've never read. Consider this a customer lost" 

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 74
RE: awful review - 22/10/2011 11:44:58 PM   
rich

I don't usually do review comments but this is truely bad enough to warrant a quick dig and the writer for overdoing it as it detracts from what they're actually trying to say.

On topic, I'm a fan of Hergé and the filmakers involved so hopefully it's a good effort.

< Message edited by rich -- 22/10/2011 11:45:49 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 75
RE: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - 23/10/2011 2:33:48 PM   
demoncleaner

Just back from it.  I honestly thought it was an absolute joy and couldn't pick a fault substantial enough to give it less than five stars.

Maybe a little slow at the start and it doesn't become a proper entertainment until Haddock comes into it, but it's still a preamble to be spent utterly beguiled by these amazing, amazing visuals. It should go without saying that it's one of the most simply gorgeous films I've ever seen and Spielberg matches the look of the movie with an elegance in its unfurling.   He sure loves those sequence-linking match-cuts and you feel his new medium practjcally main-lines pure inspiration to his veins on this front.  I honestly believe Spielberg really deserves to be celebrated for his tastefulness in the manner in which he governs the new freedoms the tech gives him here; there's no James Cameron like-humping of the medium here.     

I think the question of how to do these big adventure movies well is all in the matter of excess.  I'm of the opinion that the "big" movies should be excessive, but it's all in how that is managed. Get it wrong and you have the bewildering over-egged stodge of Jackson's King Kong, or that of The Pirates of the Carribean movies.  In many ways The Adventures of Tintin feels like Goldilocks last try in that it is "just right".  It has an entirely sane run time. The set pieces are giddily excessive but not brow-beatingly so.  The action is neat and highly imaginative and (largely) successfully woven into the fabric of the movie as a whole.  The genre will never let it get completely away from the "we interrupt this film to bring you a set-piece" type vibe.  Having said that there's an incredibly clever device in the script that means the most lavish spectacle in the film is a historic flash-back narrated by Haddock, that, due to his blitzkrieged memory is carefully packaged out over a number of relocating scenes.  It is this part that is both thrilling and emotionally informative of the innate pathos of the burnt out Captain.  This ensure that Tintin has an extremely satisfying middle.  The hard-to-get-right middle where these films are notoriously known to "dip".  There's no dip here but there is perhaps one structural problem in that the climax is well and truly trumped by everything that came before and the final scenes can come across as a bit of frippery in comparison.  But by that stage it's too late to screw this film up, it has already been so thoroughly enjoyed, its value can't be depreciated.  Thank God.     

I'm glad to say that Tintin roundly beats the lasting apprehension that will dog respectively every Spielberg and Jackson film to come.  The hoo-doo of "it was good, but from them, I expected better".  I can honestly say that this is far from the impression I'm left with after seeing this.  While watching it I was struck with palpable relief by the realisation that it was miles better than Avatar for instance, that it was miles better than King Kong, that it was miles better than Pirates of the Carribean, and while Harry Potter has its moment for me, it was better than all of it. It was freaking light years away from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  Is it better than Lord of the Rings?  Never.  Is it better than vintage Indiana Jones? No.  But you know...it's bloody ball-park, it really is.        

Before seeing this I wanted it to be some new model of the Indiana Jones franchise...and that's exactly what it is, I am chuffed to say.  Right now, it's not in any danger of overtaking that franchise I suppose, but it is defintely in its league I believe, and with equal wit, grace and thrills Tintin is a worthy peer...I'm chuffed to say.  Before it had ended I wanted to see it again.  A great sign for any movie.

5/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 23/10/2011 2:49:08 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - 23/10/2011 5:48:34 PM   
gazpop

Zut alors! Attention, Clowny? Voulez-vous une pression avec moi? In other words, this thread is shit-house nuts, anyone fancy a pint?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 77
My review - 23/10/2011 7:26:50 PM   
moviegeek2000

Lovely review clearly from a Spielberg lover (like me) who can't quite bring himself to say that the film is actually not perfect.

here's my review http://wp.me/p19wJ2-ro

Post #: 78
Did Woody Allen write this Review? - 24/10/2011 9:54:39 AM   
jaycee602

This is a precis of empire's review.

It's uncanny, but this review is like a comic piece Woody Allen would write for the New Yorker to skewer pretentious pseudo-intellectuals It doesn't even need any editing to make it funnier.

Read this and tell me Ian Nathan and Flanders Mealworm aren't the same person.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/3666060/Mr-Biggs-and-the-boychick.html

Good film by the way!

Post #: 79
Did Woody Allen write this Review? - 24/10/2011 9:55:43 AM   
jaycee602

It's uncanny, but this review is like a comic piece Woody Allen would write for the New Yorker to skewer pretentious pseudo-intellectuals It doesn't even need any editing to make it funnier.

Read this and tell me Ian Nathan and Flanders Mealworm aren't the same person.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/fictionreviews/3666060/Mr-Biggs-and-the-boychick.html

Good film by the way!

Post #: 80
RE: Did Woody Allen write this Review? - 24/10/2011 2:25:15 PM   
Whistler

I'm getting really fed up with the constant complaining regarding Empire's reviews.  I do agree that this one in particular was very inaccessible, and it doesn't really tell us much about the film, but honestly, what is writing angry comments going to do about it?  If you dislike Empire's reviews this strongly then why do you continue to read them?  At least this guy knows how to write, even if, at times (like in this review), it seems like he's trying to fit too many words in.  But I can guarantee it's better than if some idiot who can't write a coherent sentence had reviewed it. 

< Message edited by Whistler -- 24/10/2011 2:27:16 PM >

(in reply to jaycee602)
Post #: 81
Comments - 24/10/2011 4:57:00 PM   
jaycee602

Dear Whistler
Empire encourages comments from its readers. If you dislike them so much why continue to read them, and why add to them?

Post #: 82
RE: Comments - 24/10/2011 8:35:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

I wasn't a big fan of Tintin as a kid, I much preferred Asterix so I wasn't all that excited by the prospect of a big budget film of his adventures. I'm happy then to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this film.

Between them Spielberg and Jackson have created a stirring, funny and occasionaly moving adventure. It's consistently gorgeous to look at with some fantastic images from major effects like a sea battle between sailing ships to minor touches like Tintin's quiff breaching the ocean surface like a shark's fin. So much so that it's going to take more than one watch to take it all in.

Spielberg delivers some superb set pieces like the aformentioned battle and a great chase sequence taking in a breached dam, a villainous falcon, a cross dressing Haddock and a tank with a hotel on top of it.

It's actually a bit misleading in a way to call it The Adventures of Tintin as this is very much Haddock's story and once again Andy Serkis plays a digital blinder. He really makes you care about Haddock - more so that Jamie Bell manages with Tintin. That's not Bell's fault though as the Boy Detective is written as a bit of a cypher, a catylyst through which the story is progressed.

This isn't likely to be considered classic Spielberg but it's better than Indy 4 and rollicking good fun. I'd ceratinly be happy to watch the next adventure.

edit: Forgot to add a rating. I give it 4/5

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 25/10/2011 9:17:41 AM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to jaycee602)
Post #: 83
RE: Comments - 24/10/2011 11:00:24 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

Probably my least favourite film this year. Hated the way it looked and found it frantic and yet utterly tedious. I didn't find it entertaining, just exhausting. I didn't think I'd ever say this about a Spielberg film, but this film has no heart. If they have character designs which look that human, why not just make a live action film rather then create dead eyed pixel zombies ? The acting for the performance capture was all over the place, with Tintin being quite naturalistic, while Andy Serkis' Capt. Haddock somehow tries to move like a cartoon. So why not actually make an animated film instead of this mo-cap nonsense. Tintin's greatest strength as a comic book always was it's elegant, pared down look, but there is nothing left of that here. Like his chum Zemeckis, Spielberg seems to think that audiences can't relate to characters that don't look as close to human as possible. It seems like they've never seen a Pixar film. That studio manages to have stylised characters and yet have them be relatable. Look at how beautiful collectors Tintin toys look. Instead we've got characters who look like actors with latex prosthetics, a bit like Mrs Doubtfire or whenever Eddie Murphy decides to play every character in a film. It doesn't look like an animated film to me, it looks and feels like a computer game for much of the time. I'd rather sit thorough Indy 4 ten times in a row than watch this again.

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 24/10/2011 11:01:47 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 84
A burst of nostalgia - 24/10/2011 11:34:21 PM   
bretty

Being in my early 50's I remember Tintin with great fondness and this film did bring back the memories. Very true to the stories and style and I thought the animation was fantastic. A lot of passion and care has gone into this and maybe it does lack a true heart, but then so did the books, they were just rollicking adventures - and so was this.

Post #: 85
RE: Comments - 24/10/2011 11:48:51 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaycee602

Dear Whistler
Empire encourages comments from its readers. If you dislike them so much why continue to read them, and why add to them?

Of course Empire value the opinion of their readers, I'm simply saying it gets irritating when people start complaining about virtually every review on the site.  You make it sound like I said I dislike comments in general, which I didn't. 

(in reply to jaycee602)
Post #: 86
RE: Awesome - 25/10/2011 2:17:44 AM   
Spaldron

After the shit-fest that was Indy 4 its good to see Spielberg get his mojo back. This is easily his best film since Minority Report, in fact its better than that, this is the best blockbuster he's done since Jurassic Park. Finally a good old fashioned adventure tale based on classic stories brought to life with the latest WETA can offer. Visually the film is stunning, pushing the bar even further and delivering believable characters without the "dead eye" curse that bogs down so many CGI mo-cap performances.

Bell and Serkis in particular bring to life our intrepid boy wonder and Cpt Haddock while Snowy is a charm. Credit due to the ever reliable Daniel Craig who gives us an excellent moustache twirling villain and to Pegg and Frost for bringing in some humour. The also features the best action set piece of the year in the bike chase through the town ahead of a torrent of water, I saw this in 2D and my jaw hit the floor. Superb entertainment. Bring on the sequel Peter Jackson!

4/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 87
RE: Awesome - 25/10/2011 8:41:21 AM   
Dr Lenera

Tin Tin is a boy and reporter who is always having lots of adventures with his faithful dog Snowy. One day, Tin Tin buys a handmade ship called ‘The Unicorn’ in a market, and almost instantly he is beset by various folk, some not very nice and some downright nasty, who also want it.  When Snowy breaks the ship and a clue falls out, Tin Tin does some investigating and finds out that the ship is a replica of a real craft that disappeared many years back carrying a mysterious cargo.  He is captured by the evil Ivanovich Sakharine, who is also after the clue.  On his ship, Tin Tin encounters the heavy-drinking Captain Haddock, the descendent of the caption of ‘The Unicorn’.  They decide to escape and go on a quest to unravel the secret themselves…………….

I have never read a Tin Tin comic, nor have I had the inclination too, despite their worldwide popularity.  I’m also not too keen on all this motion capture malarkey, to be honest, where actors and actresses do their performance and then it’s transferred to computer animation.  Apart from being a ridiculous waste of acting, the people just don’t look right to me, a wierd and slightly freaky missing link between reality and animation.  Therefore I have found it hard to get excited about The Adventures Of Tin Tin, which is actually the sixth film to have been made about Tin Tin, and has suffered some major delays in getting off the ground.  Still, the combination of cinema heavyweights Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson making a film together should be enough to get almost any film fan a bit excited, and a quick glance at the early reviews up on the IMDB mostly indicate a glowing response.  Well, I personally found The Adventures Of Tin Tin pretty much what I expected it to be like.  It’s a fun, innocuous romp that has great technical ingenuity and is certainly a reasonably good watch for kids, but one I may very well find I have forgotten most of in a few days time!  I was entertained, but in no way was I shaken or stirred.

The opening credits are fantastic and gave me the idea that maybe this movie really might be something special, with a cartoon Tin Tin, Snowy and other characters running around and doing various fun things such as climbing on to the credits.  It reminded me of the beginning to a Pink Panther film, and John Williams’ jazzy music adds to the retro, almost 60s feel.  We are hurled immediately into our adventure, which is actually a combination of three separate Tin Tin stories, and hangs together reasonably well.   For a while the movie has a slightly dark, threatening feel, with Tin Tin’s purchase of the ship causing him to be in constant mortal danger, and most of these scenes taking place at night with almost a film noir element to them.   This goes away though once Tin Tin meets Haddock, and from then on the film plays like a children’s Indiana Jones movie.

I will say that it has more of the spirit of adventure than Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull; in fact it’s a more fun movie all round, and has an appealing innocence, but the whole affair has a feeling of holding back, of never allowing things to get too exciting or too imaginative.  I don’t know; I mean I am sure that Spielberg, Jackson and their three scriptwriters Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat and Joe Cornish are keeping quite close to the source material, but I can’t be the only one who thinks more should have resulted considering all that talent.  There is one tremendous chase sequence around a Middle Eastern town which plays like a crazy variation on an Indiana Jones chase, and it’s crammed full of excitement and invention, from Tin Tin trying to catch a bird to a tank smashing into a hotel with the result that you see no tank, just the hotel looking like it’s moving around on its own.  The climactic action though is pretty meh, and the film is actually more successful as a partial slapstick comedy then an action adventure, with a variety of pointless but very funny sequences often involving Snowy and the two cops.

Technically the film is certainly something of a wonder, with the backgrounds immensely detailed and 3D that, for the most part, doesn’t look like characters are cardboard cut outs.  There is much showing off with the camera following characters all over the place, going through glass, and doing other such tricks.  The characters are certainly the closest motion capture has come to giving the impression of real people, though they are inconsistently designed.  Haddock is given immense detail so you can see every face blemish, almost every pore, but the two cops just look like characters from Toy Story when computer animation was in its infancy.  Why do half the characters have big noses and the other half don’t?  Presumably it’s like that in the comic books but seems just bizarre on screen.  The film also hasn’t really changed my mind about motion capture, but I guess it’s just my problem.  I didn’t find Tin Tin a very interesting hero either.  He’s intrepid, honest and tough but that’s about it, and he has little characteristics of an actual kid.  Haddock though is a great character, a gruff but kind hearted loser who rather daringly is totally drunk almost throughout.

The voice cast all do a good job, with Daniel Craig in particular sounding nicely different from normal, and the score by John Williams backs up the action nicely with some nice moments where he seemed to semi-quote from earlier scores for Spielberg, but he sadly doesn’t feel the urge to give Tin Tin a proper theme.   I can’t quite put my finger on it, but the overall feeling of Tin Tin is “enjoyable, but is that it”?, and yet there’s one sequence around the middle of the film that captures a certain magic and gives an indication of what could and probably should have been.  Haddock is hallucinating in the desert, and imagines he is his ancestor on ‘The Unicorn’.  A huge ship appears over the hill, the sand spectacularly turns to water, and suddenly we are in the middle of a naval battle, with the camera not cutting much but instead choosing to dive in and around all the combatants as they duke it out.  If only the rest of the film were as strong.  Still, despite this review not being an overly positive one, you will probably enjoy The Adventures Of Tin Tin on a certain level, and it’s certainly no disaster, though I have a feeling it’s already starting to be over praised.  It hasn’t made me want to finally read a Tin Tin comic book, but I’ll cautiously look forward to the next movie.  You never know, it could be quite something.
Rating:6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 88
Fairly decent family film - 25/10/2011 9:56:59 AM   
filmsunlimited

This will probably appeal more to the parents taking their kids to an animation than the kids themselves, Tintin of course evokes early-mid 20th Century and the whole film doesn't exactly gel in an age of iWhatevers (overlapping scrolls giving treasure co-ordinates, how old-school!)

Post #: 89
RE: Fairly decent family film - 25/10/2011 11:17:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Pretty good on the whole saw it in 2d & the visuals were great it's just the eyes man they freak me out. Loved Williams score though.

(in reply to filmsunlimited)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should expect more (the whole review) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI