Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: horrific writing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: horrific writing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: horrific writing - 14/10/2011 1:45:49 PM   
jcthefirst

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 31
RE: horrific writing - 14/10/2011 1:50:18 PM   
Olaf

I do appreciate that Ian Nathan is one of the few writers who demonstrate such an enthusiasm for the subject, and it's a great review largely, but it's marred in places by some horrific sentence structure issues. A sentence like "From the Nouvelle Vague flourish of the opening credits, featuring Tintin in silhouette dashing past giant typewriters and former foes, recalling the Saul Bass-themed curtain raiser of Catch Me If You Can, set off by John Williams’ fleet-fingered piano score, the mood is set" is particularly clunky. That said, the third paragraph from the end about Haddock is wonderful writing particularly.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 32
RE: - 14/10/2011 1:55:36 PM   
TOPOI

quote:

ORIGINAL: abaddon

I generally like Empires reviews - erudite and informative without being full of spoilers, and not being a proffesional writer myself I would not dream of critiscising a reviewer writing style, however even I have to admit, this one was just bad, bad, bad...
It reminded me of one of those overly pretentious wine reviews a la Jilly Goolden but written by someone desperatly trying to impress with his extended vocabulary! Seriously Empire - I implore you, dont publish this review; it is alienating and affected.

Don't you mean 'professional', 'criticising', 'reviewer's','desperately'? Learn how to spell first before you have the nerve to criticise a professional's ability. It just makes it more obvious that you looked up 'erudite' on a thesaurus before typing it...

"I wish I had a dime for every dime I had."

(in reply to abaddon)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 14/10/2011 3:36:47 PM   
Spaldron

I really wish I could post one of those 'man eating popcorn' gifs here. Shits gonna get real.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to TOPOI)
Post #: 34
- 14/10/2011 3:41:21 PM   
RhysEdwards

I must say, great review, really well written and actually informative about the quality of the movie and how it can be bettered, with the unmistakable Empire feel to it (blend of dry, nerdyish humour).

I understand my review should be on the film, but considering everyone else seem to be dickheads, I shall follow suit.

5 stars good sir, go well.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 35
Windsmeare - 14/10/2011 4:18:01 PM   
Windsmeare

Yes Ian Nathan, but is it any good?

Post #: 36
Windsmeare - 14/10/2011 4:19:41 PM   
Windsmeare

Yes Ian Nathan, but is it any good?

Post #: 37
RE: - 14/10/2011 4:30:26 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: RhysEdwards

I must say, great review, really well written and actually informative about the quality of the movie and how it can be bettered, with the unmistakable Empire feel to it (blend of dry, nerdyish humour).

I understand my review should be on the film, but considering everyone else seem to be dickheads, I shall follow suit.

5 stars good sir, go well.

You at least could've used a different name before calling everyone dickheads.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to RhysEdwards)
Post #: 38
RE: RE: - 14/10/2011 5:57:14 PM   
NunianVonFuch

I'm a bit confused. After writing paragraph after paragraph extolling the virtues of the film and showering it with praise the final line is "It would take a hard heart to resist." But only 4/5 is given as the score.

Can some possible critiques other than "the script struggles to be out-and-out funny" be added in? It's not a comedy so it doesn't really sound like a negative to me. It's not supposed to be an ode to Tintin/Speilberg/Jackson it's a film review. So review it don't write an essay on it! I'd like to comment on the quality of the film, but I haven't seen it yet. It seems to be aimed at the younger market and after reading this review I'm none the wiser.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 39
Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should expect ... - 14/10/2011 6:59:36 PM   
Joejoesan

I saw the movie last tuesday and although I enjoyed myself, I was also a little bit disappointed. The visuals are great, but the character of Tintin and the story... well... It could have been much better. You can find my review on the IMDB giving the movie 7 out of 10 if you're interested.
I don't agree with Ian's review, but I do think it's very well written

Post #: 40
Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should expect ... - 14/10/2011 7:04:25 PM   
Joejoesan

Okay, here it is. Contains spoilers!

After Mars needs moms I thought that making computer movies with 'realistic' humans in it, was a bad idea. But here is another attempt, this time by movie legend Steven Spielberg and the Lord of the Rings himself, Peter Jackson.

As we all know The adventures of Tintin was a billion years in the making. After Raiders of the Lost Ark someone told Spielberg that there were a lot of similarities between Indiana Jones and a European comic hero called Tintin. So the filmmaker bought the movierights, lost them and eventually obtained them again to make this first Tintin movie.

In the comics Tintin is a young reporter who travels all around the world to chase after a good story. He has visited Russia, Tibet, Africa, the Middle-East and even Nazi-Germany. The first comic was published in 1930. And although the kids don't read the comics anymore, almost all European grownups know this hero. Tintin's best friends are a white dog named Snowy and a noisy sailor called Captain Haddock. And he gets a lot of help from two rather clumsy Interpol agents, Thomson and Thomson. In the Spielberg movie these characters also appear. In fact, the director stays pretty true to the comics.

After the first trailer I wasn't anxious to see The adventures of Tintin on the big screen. But after the German TV-commercial which showed a lot of action, my hopes for an unforgettable movie event began to rise. Does Spielberg still have the magic to make something incredible and make full use of the computer effects?

Unfortunately the answer to that question is no. The adventures of Tintin is good fun, that's true. But I don't think it will live up to the big hype. The story begins when Tintin buys a model ship, the Unicorn,on a market. Turns out it contains a secret message that will lead to the search of a lost treasure. Tintin gets kidnapped, gets acquainted with captain Haddock, travels to Morocco and finds out what villain is behind all this and wh

Post #: 41
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 7:51:48 PM   
thetruth

What the hell is going on with this thread??
Insults,accusations and ignorance abound.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Joejoesan)
Post #: 42
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 7:59:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

You have never seen a review thread for a blockbuster that hasn't come out yet? This happens all the time. One of the worst was for Scott Pilgrim which was odd. Some people just kept going on and on about it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 43
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 8:14:56 PM   
JIm R

and all for such a nice lad like Tin Tin as well

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 8:33:58 PM   
Deviation

THIS THREAD OH YES OH YES OH FUCKING YES 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 45
Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 8:45:49 PM   
wordmongerer

Honestly, the review doesn't really say anything, its just the reviewer in love with his own "voice". I've disagreed with reviews in the past but never before the manner in which they're written, but this is awful.

Post #: 46
Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 8:45:50 PM   
wordmongerer

Honestly, the review doesn't really say anything, its just the reviewer in love with his own "voice". I've disagreed with reviews in the past but never before the manner in which they're written, but this is awful.

Post #: 47
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 8:53:28 PM   
Emyr Thy King

That does make sense, you are a wordmongerer after all.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to wordmongerer)
Post #: 48
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 8:58:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

That does make sense, you are a wordmongerer after all.

Don't they come from the Underverse?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 49
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:38:49 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

You have never seen a review thread for a blockbuster that hasn't come out yet? This happens all the time. One of the worst was for Scott Pilgrim which was odd. Some people just kept going on and on about it.

Yes,but surely it has to stop!?
Here,nearly everyone hasnt even seen the film yet.
The Pilgrim thing was mostly an after release spat involving the Expendables and a bit of unusual madness.
This seems to be attempted execution of the Empire reviewer!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 50
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 9:38:49 PM   
elab49

Bugger - with this title on the front page I thought it was the Tree of Life complainers back again.

As opposed to someone just not bothering to read any of the, still very few, posts that came before.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 51
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 9:42:18 PM   
Emyr Thy King

No idea, although it looks like we've met the vanguard of stupidity once more.If you're going to criticise someone's writing, then cite specific examples. But as the mods will say, this isn't the place for it and it's unfair for people who genuinely want to discuss the film and/or the review to have to trawl through this rubbish.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 14/10/2011 9:43:27 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:43:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pilgrim thing was mostly an after release spat involving the Expendables and a bit of unusual madness.

Nah, the Pilgrim thread got to a silly number of pages before anyone even posted a review. Mainly through thankfully now banned folks trolling.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 53
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 9:44:56 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: wordmongerer

Wordmongerer.
Indeed.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to wordmongerer)
Post #: 54
RE: Most pretentious review ever? - 14/10/2011 9:45:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Bugger - with this title on the front page I thought it was the Tree of Life complainers back again.

As opposed to someone just not bothering to read any of the, still very few, posts that came before.

I am slightly disappointed that with both Spielberg and Jacksons names, this thread hasn't got to five pages yet.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:46:48 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nah, the Pilgrim thread got to a silly number of pages before anyone even posted a review. Mainly through thankfully now banned folks trolling.

Yeah,but my point was,rightly or wrongly,the film was getting the stick.
Here itīs the reviewer.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 56
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:48:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here itīs the reviewer.

Actully the reviewer there was also getting the stick. The reviewer always seems to get stick nowerdays. Go into any blockbuster review thread and you will see it.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 57
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:49:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I do remember a lot of complaints being about OMG EMPIRE GAVE IT FIVE STARS bullshit, so no.

And that moronic rivalry between SP and that extremely mediocre action film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 58
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 9:56:45 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I do remember a lot of complaints being about OMG EMPIRE GAVE IT FIVE STARS bullshit, so no.

And that moronic rivalry between SP and that extremely mediocre action film.

Yeah,but that goes back years,Star Wars etc.
And...mediocre...tut tut!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 59
RE: Good fun, but from Spielberg/Jackson you should exp... - 14/10/2011 10:03:22 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here itīs the reviewer.

Actully the reviewer there was also getting the stick. The reviewer always seems to get stick nowerdays. Go into any blockbuster review thread and you will see it.

But if you have seen a film,and reviewed it,and i then slaughter your review without seeing the film,that is ridiculous.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: horrific writing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI