Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Subscriptions!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/10/2012 5:01:11 PM   
James Dyer

What will most likely happen (ideal or not) is that we'll start selling mag subs with an iPad bundle at a slightly increades price (I don't know what but it's unlikely to be much more). Anyone with an existing mag subscription is likely to get the iPad edition for free for a limited time (TBC but it could be for, say, 6 months or until your sub comes up for renewal - whatever comes first). That's vaguely what's been worked out as 'VAT compliant'. The question mark is the timing. I hope it will be this side of Christmas, I fear it won't be till Feb/March. I may be pleasantly surprised but there's a piece of development work that needs doing to make this all work and, well, it's in a queue.

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 181
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/10/2012 5:06:12 PM   
Philbh

Thanks for the reply, James. It's good to see that something is being worked on. It's a shame that it's taking them so long to do something about it, and leaving you to fend off us rabid subscribers.

Let's hope it happens this side of Christmas, just so that I can get a few months of free use before I'm due to renew in March ;)

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 182
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/10/2012 5:08:34 PM   
James Dyer

I'll be very pleased when it happens though, quite frankly, I'm horrendously embarrassed by how long it's taken and profoundly regret jumping the gun by promising it to you all oh... about THIS TIME LAST YEAR. Sigh.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 183
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/10/2012 5:10:32 PM   
Philbh

It goes to show, you were just as excited as the rest of us.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 184
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/10/2012 6:11:35 AM   
phobos

Great job guys increasing the prices for the ipad subscriptions.
That's really appreciated....
Instead of going down the prices go up.
I'm not sure I'll keep renewing.

Try improving your product first and then consider jacking up the prices.
Background downloads, searchable and selectable text so that basic ios features can work, that will also bring the ridiculous size down, are just a few of the things that come to mind.
Disappointing to say the least.

I also have a subscription with TotalFilm and even though the layout of the magazine is horrible and the content not that great I'm willing to only use that as a big F*** OFF to you guys.

< Message edited by phobos -- 31/10/2012 6:12:43 AM >

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 185
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/11/2012 2:12:25 PM   
GaspodeX

Um - Ok, I've not moaned about this before as I've assumed mail out subscriptions come out first.. But Tesco's ?

OK - Why is the physical print December issue available in tescos but not to ipad subscribers ?

Srsly - I would expect the iPad edition to at least be out at the same time as physical subscriptions - but certainly before the mainstream supermarket copies ?

What is the release date policy ?

Many thanks

John

(in reply to phobos)
Post #: 186
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/11/2012 2:16:40 PM   
GaspodeX

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaspodeX

Um - Ok, I've not moaned about this before as I've assumed mail out subscriptions come out first.. But Tesco's ?

OK - Why is the physical print December issue available in tescos but not to ipad subscribers ?

Srsly - I would expect the iPad edition to at least be out at the same time as physical subscriptions - but certainly before the mainstream supermarket copies ?

Many thanks

John

Ah never mind - I had to physically power my iPad on and off to force the app to refresh to picjk up the new issue.

(in reply to GaspodeX)
Post #: 187
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/11/2012 2:18:46 PM   
James Dyer

The iPad Edition goes on sale on the issue's official on-sale date (it has to, for embargo reasons). The print edition is supposed to do so as well but often arrives early with subscribers and some retailers (in this case presumably Tesco) tend to jump the gun. The December iPad edition has been out since 25 October.

(in reply to GaspodeX)
Post #: 188
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/11/2012 2:19:21 PM   
James Dyer

quote:

quote:

Many thanks

John

Ah never mind - I had to physically power my iPad on and off to force the app to refresh to picjk up the new issue.

That's odd. Glad it's working, though.

(in reply to GaspodeX)
Post #: 189
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 12/11/2012 10:39:20 AM   
KingofallSamurai

I had roughly the same issue. It did pick up that there was a new issue, but then 'forgot' and I had to force-quit the app and re-launch it.

Side note - not sure how the magazine looks on the iPad mini, but are there any plans to adapt it to make it work better (ie make the font overall larger!)?

Follow the white rabbit ........

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 190
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 12/11/2012 12:20:05 PM   
James Dyer

Not at present. We've ordered one but it's not arrived yet. We'll take a look at how it displays once it arrives, though tweaking for that would be a logistical nightmare.

(in reply to KingofallSamurai)
Post #: 191
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 12/11/2012 3:41:00 PM   
James Dyer

Update: it arrived today. It actually reads out pretty well on the smaller screen so no plans to reformat.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 192
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 21/11/2012 3:33:15 PM   
Tosh

Hi

Last update was 29/10/201 for ipad/print duel subscriptions.

Anything to report............. anything at all :(

I am a Product Manager for a software company, I will come and work for Empires Digital section and sort it out with adobe and the taxman and look at adding new features like the download, searchable text etc.
Not for free mind you - I want it but not that much ;)

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 193
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/11/2012 3:25:02 PM   
James Dyer

In fact I went to a meeting about this today. I was given an ETA next year but I'm not going to share it as I suspect that they won't actually hit it. The best I can do at this stage is say that it will be next year. At some point. Not the news I wanted to hear and not the news I wanted to give you but there it is. Here would be where I give you all the excuses I was given but honestly, I'm not going to. It's bad and all I can do is apologise. For those who genuinely want to know why it's a combination of having to rely on a third party (who hold our reviews database) to sort their lives out and the need to do the work only once and have it cover all titles (we have 150 magazines so it's more involved than you'd think). That said, other publishers have managed it as many of you have pointed out so it's not really an excuse.

I apologise unreservedly for this and if there was any way I could speed it up I would. Sigh.

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 194
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 24/11/2012 5:25:01 PM   
vortex

This is becoming almost laughable! The paper version already exists. The iPad version already exists. It can't be any more than an administrative issue to sort this out - it certainly hasn't been for MANY other magazines. Stop stringing us along; just admit that it is never going to happen (as many people probably suspect anyway) and then we can make a final decision on which version to buy.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 195
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/11/2012 10:19:34 AM   
James Dyer

The laughable part I'll certainly give you though saying it's 'an administrative issue' is a rather uninformed dismissal of something that's actually pretty complicated. Still, while it WILL happen, I'm not going to promise a date so I do suggest that you make a decision on print or digital based on their separate merits and don't continue to hold off for us to finally sort this out.

(in reply to vortex)
Post #: 196
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 20/12/2012 5:24:30 PM   
karlitr0s

Hi!

I've subscribed for 12 months, and I'd like to download a back issue (November 2012), but it's still earmarked at 3.99 - Do I not get back-issues for free as part of my subscription?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 197
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 20/1/2013 4:53:13 PM   
Philbh

James,

Has there been any progress with the dual sub since your last post?

< Message edited by Philbh -- 20/1/2013 4:56:16 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 198
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/2/2013 5:08:04 PM   
jmebaby25

Hi James,

Just wondering if you've heard any more on this? It all seems to have gone quiet.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 199
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 12/3/2013 12:44:35 PM   
Philbh

James,

Any updates on the situation?

I assume that it isn't much of a priority for the IT guys...can we bribe them with mars bars or a box of Cadbury's Roses?

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 200
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/3/2013 3:19:33 PM   
Philbh

Is there any chance of an update? My subscription is due for renewal soon, and I would like to make an informed decision on which version to go for.

As I've said before, I love the subscriber exclusive covers and being able to collect a physical copy of the magazine, but the iPad edition would be so much more convenient to read.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 201
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/3/2013 7:09:51 PM   
jamgardner

Kinda have to moan a bit here, but since I'm a subscriber why is it that we do not get the iPad editions at the same time as the print subscribers...?? I know it's only a few days but seriously what's the issue?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 202
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 3/4/2013 4:06:44 PM   
cardch

Any updates, guys? I am a long time reader (issue 24! Happy days) and subscriber for the past few years. Would love to get the iPad edition but not to the extent of losing the print edition (like many others). Is there any update on this, seems to have been going on for a looooong time...

(in reply to jamgardner)
Post #: 203
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 3/4/2013 11:27:41 PM   
MingFoo

Come on Empire, no update in over 4 months ... I appreciate that it's not a straightforward problem but you really need to look after your subscribers who are guaranteeing you money every month, I'm sure we'd all be grateful for some news.

Out of curiosity has your publishing house complained to the govt about the bizarre situation with physical mags and books being VAT exempt and digital versions having VAT applied?

(in reply to cardch)
Post #: 204
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 13/4/2013 12:51:24 PM   
ianmote

Lost!

Big fan of the latest edition, but an annoying flaw in the Lost article was that on the last page the sidebar that had comments about the last episode of Lost was actually a copy of the page above & so the article was missing.  Can you let me know if this is going to be fixed in an update?

Or more simply, can someone just copy & paste the article here so that I can read it?!? I have many a theory about the ending & I wanted to hear Empire's view....

cheesr

(in reply to MingFoo)
Post #: 205
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 17/4/2013 2:48:58 PM   
Philbh

James,

Any chance of some sort of update from you regarding this? It's been 5 months since you last posted in this thread.

I find it very difficult to believe that there has been no progress from the IT department or from the accountants. I find it a shame that I still can't enjoy the iPad edition without having to pay twice for the same content as my paper copy.

(in reply to ianmote)
Post #: 206
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/4/2013 9:19:16 AM   
baloobas

Bloody Hell ! They've only gone and got it working ! (checks sky for flying pigs).
Well done ! At last I can enjoy the iPad edition of my favourite film mag.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 207
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/4/2013 9:28:35 AM   
Tosh

Wow cant believe it! its finally here.

although I cant log in, must be teething problems and loads of people trying.

anyway lovely wee surprise for a friday morning!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 208
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/4/2013 10:09:54 AM   
Kevtb

Same with me. Got a notification out of blue and tried to sign up but it won't let me through. My surname and subscribers number are correct. What else could it be?
Anyway good job finally getting there without having to resort to additional charges. We appreciate it.

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 209
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/4/2013 10:41:20 AM   
Janetyjanet

I spoke to Bauer media helpline this morning and they weren't expecting it out until next week so he's not sure why it won't work - he suggested I try again next week when the link should be working...

(in reply to Kevtb)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI