Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Subscriptions!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/7/2012 7:04:10 PM   
lukesgood

Hi James
Any date set for free iPad edition for us old-fashioned magazine subscribers?
I know it has been in the works for a while but haven't heard any updates of late. Cheers.

"I will make the necessary arrangements..."

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 151
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 8/8/2012 9:21:18 AM   
GreboUK

So how about this iPas subscription for magazine subscribers then? Are you just counting on people paying for two subscriptions? Whats the deal?

(in reply to lukesgood)
Post #: 152
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/8/2012 2:20:51 PM   
Hank_Scorpio

My print subscription was due to renew this week, I've cancelled it and will just go digital now. I'd rather have both but in all honestly reading on the iPad is just more convenient most of the time.

Hope you guys get some kind of answer either way soon.

(in reply to GreboUK)
Post #: 153
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/8/2012 3:39:55 PM   
Rob

Mine's up for renewal in a few months and I'm probably going to wait until the dual model becomes available before signing up again.

Given that some newspapers offer this already I honestly don't see what the hold up is. It seems more to me a change of heart / policy from Bauer media than any ongoing VAT issues.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Hank_Scorpio)
Post #: 154
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/8/2012 7:57:25 PM   
Dorsetto

If you start a new subscription now, can't iPad editions be added on to your account when this mess is sorted out?

Even if it was activated at some future time and only be applicable to new editions it would at least provide some peace of mind and enable magazine subscribers to renew now and and not have to pay twice

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 155
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 13/8/2012 3:02:06 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorsetto

If you start a new subscription now, can't iPad editions be added on to your account when this mess is sorted out?

Even if it was activated at some future time and only be applicable to new editions it would at least provide some peace of mind and enable magazine subscribers to renew now and and not have to pay twice

Unfortunately that's the problem. That was mooted way back in October last year and was apparently a few weeks away from being implemented. However, 10 months later and there's still no sign of this happening.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Dorsetto)
Post #: 156
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 15/8/2012 9:49:56 PM   
Dougal

I have a funny feeling James that the reason that some other companies can offer free downloads to the iPad is because of the Byzantine way they have slightly restructured themselves to deal with the issue. My Times sub now gets paid to a company in The Netherlands rather than direct to Times Newspapers and I can imagine Bauer going down a similar route, given their portfolio of publications and the likely future of them. The only other company to royally bugger up their paper/online/tablet offer is of the Reed Elsevier group.

I have given up buying it twice and am awaiting the outcome to what ought to be a fairly simple operation (if Guardian Media Group, News International, Conde Nast and The Economist [worth checking out how they do it, perhaps] can do it, then I am sure Bauer can).

The answer may very well be simple. Something given away isn't VATable, since 20% added to nothing is still nothing.

Good luck!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 157
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 23/8/2012 1:16:41 PM   
Philbh

Call me a fool if you like, but I still find myself checking this forum a few times every week in the hope that something has been sorted.

Has there been any progress in discussions with the taxman?

I still have the empire App on my iPad, waiting for the day when James comes on to the forums and announces the FREE availability of the iPad Edition. Oh, what a glorious day it will be.

(in reply to Dougal)
Post #: 158
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 25/8/2012 7:04:50 PM   
lukesgood

So I'm not the only one who checks every few days... Just in case that dual subscription dream comes true!

"I will make the necessary arrangements..."

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 159
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/8/2012 10:06:12 AM   
mark.galloway

Me too. I live in eternal hope.

(in reply to lukesgood)
Post #: 160
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 28/8/2012 11:33:50 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark.galloway

Me too. I live in eternal hope.

And me, although that hope is fading quickly. I check back every day pretty much and the updates from James seem to have stopped. I'm assuming no news = bad news.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to mark.galloway)
Post #: 161
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 30/8/2012 1:36:02 PM   
lifes2complicated

Very frustrated as my magazine subscription just renewed and then finally got a lovely new iPad expecting to be able to get the iPad editions free with my subscription as I had seen this was expected months and months ago, only to try to get details of how to download and find this is still an issue.

Last update from Empire staff 18 July? Could we have an update on this please? Surely must be determined whether this is a) possible or b) never going to happen by now. Many other providers already do this for subscribers, cannot see what problem in resolving this could be.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 162
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 30/8/2012 4:20:19 PM   
Rob

This thread makes for some really interesting reading. I've gone from the wide-eyed optimism of nearly 12 months ago to a bitter, twisted and cynical non-believer.

Now I just don't think it will ever happen. The thing is I'd even pay more for a dual subscription but I just can't fathom why Bauer can't seem to implement it.

(in reply to lifes2complicated)
Post #: 163
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/8/2012 11:59:47 AM   
Tosh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

This thread makes for some really interesting reading. I've gone from the wide-eyed optimism of nearly 12 months ago to a bitter, twisted and cynical non-believer.

Now I just don't think it will ever happen. The thing is I'd even pay more for a dual subscription but I just can't fathom why Bauer can't seem to implement it

Funnily enough I came on here today to say something along the same lines Rob!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 164
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/8/2012 8:05:01 PM   
markjewiss

Sme as the above two comments really... Not impressed that nothing can be sorted out for this when so many other publishers can deal with it. If Bauer don't want to offer this anymore, then just say so. If it really takes this long to get it sorted, then provide a monthly update to keep everyone up to date.

Anyways, that's my print sub cancelled and I will be digital only next month. The price is essentially the same, but I'm not sure what is cheaper for Bauer to produce, so not sure if they are making more or less money off me because of this. That aside, as far as I know digital sales are not counted by ABC for distribution figures; if that's correct, then the more people that cancel the print sub, the fewer readers Empire has, which reduces the amount they can charge for advertising. :(

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 165
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/8/2012 10:20:23 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: markjewiss

Anyways, that's my print sub cancelled and I will be digital only next month. The price is essentially the same, but I'm not sure what is cheaper for Bauer to produce, so not sure if they are making more or less money off me because of this. That aside, as far as I know digital sales are not counted by ABC for distribution figures; if that's correct, then the more people that cancel the print sub, the fewer readers Empire has, which reduces the amount they can charge for advertising. :(

I've decided to sit out the whole situation until it's sorted. I might pick up the odd issue every now and again, but won't be renewing until things are clearer.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 31/8/2012 10:23:29 PM >

(in reply to markjewiss)
Post #: 166
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 6/9/2012 9:59:21 PM   
cardch

Come on Empire, pull your bloody finger out!

(in reply to timmyhone)
Post #: 167
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 14/9/2012 10:16:53 AM   
Rob

Less than a month to go until it's been an entire year! Good work Bauer / Empire.

So it's possible to create a life in less time than it takes for Bauer to implement something that has already been done by countless other publishers.

So anyone want to speculate on when or if this will ever be resolved? I'm going for mid 2014. Any takers?

(in reply to cardch)
Post #: 168
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 23/9/2012 9:39:34 AM   
WeeHaggis

I just dont see the problem. If something is free, 20% of free is nought

Shops frequently give something away for free when you buy a specific item, or have to pay something if you take it on its own.
Buy this camera and you get this camera bag for free, no camera then 25 quid please.
But this sky satellite subscription and you get this app for free...no subscription then 60 quid please.

Sounds like somebody is just making excuses

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 169
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/9/2012 7:57:40 PM   
Philbh

James,

With nearly a year gone by, is it not time for "The Powers that Be" to make a final decision on this issue? There must be some sort of indication whether or not it will ever be possible for you to provide the long promised free iPad edition to subscribers of the magazine.

You suggested a while ago that it may even be possible to provide the iPad version to subscribers for the remainder of their current subscription period. Has there been any progress on this front?

It just seems to be a great shame that this is dragging as long it has.

(in reply to lukesgood)
Post #: 170
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/9/2012 9:30:13 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Philbh

James,

With nearly a year gone by, is it not time for "The Powers that Be" to make a final decision on this issue? There must be some sort of indication whether or not it will ever be possible for you to provide the long promised free iPad edition to subscribers of the magazine.

You suggested a while ago that it may even be possible to provide the iPad version to subscribers for the remainder of their current subscription period. Has there been any progress on this front?

It just seems to be a great shame that this is dragging as long it has.

If you look through the threads, I've been a vocal defender of Empire on this issue - but even I'm cheesed off by it now. My main gripes:

1 - the ridiculous delay
2 - the continued silence on the matter. We haven't had an update since July

If this isn't going ahead, that's fine, but I want to know either way.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 171
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 28/9/2012 9:11:40 AM   
Tosh

Nothing again for 2 months...........

(in reply to timmyhone)
Post #: 172
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 5/10/2012 11:48:58 AM   
Rob

It's been 51 weeks since this thread started. It would be a real shame if we didn't make it to the full year although somehow I don't think that will be a problem!

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 173
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 7/10/2012 1:49:44 PM   
KPGills

I have finally give up! My subscription runs out in December and I will not be renewing. I like the magazine, but every other magazine can offer free ipad subscription to subscribes so why can't Empire?

I now have a subscription to Total Film for 12.99 for a year on my ipad! May not be as good, but alot cheaper and it's on the ipad! :)

If things change I may reconsider, but if Total Film is good them Empire have lost a subscriber.

Keith

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 174
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/10/2012 5:26:43 PM   
Philbh

2 more days until the anniversary of this thread. Maybe a surprise announcement on Friday that the tax issue has been sorted to celebrate this milestone?

(in reply to KPGills)
Post #: 175
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 11/10/2012 1:52:52 PM   
Tosh

One more day till one year and in the 1st post James said:
quote:

I promised you'd get it (although that was almost a year ago) and I'm happy to say it's now almost here.

Almost 2 years then

hurumph

< Message edited by Tosh -- 11/10/2012 1:53:19 PM >

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 176
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 11/10/2012 5:33:32 PM   
nunntrev

What I find even more disturbing than the fact that it is now more than a year since we were misled into believing that a resolution was imminent is that it has been nearly 3 months since Mr Dyer has seen fit to acknowledge the concerns of subscribers. Contrary to the undeserved patience of followers on this thread who sympathise that they are "sure he is doing everything he can" I find the lack of courtesy in neglecting to update us even more poor than the apparent mishandling of this farce. Sorry if anyone finds this harsh but as Digital Editor In Chief I find the neglect of this issue and the queries of those of us posting here wholly disrespectful.

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 177
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 12/10/2012 4:37:57 PM   
Philbh

quote:

ORIGINAL: nunntrev

Sorry if anyone finds this harsh but as Digital Editor In Chief I find the neglect of this issue and the queries of those of us posting here wholly disrespectful.

I assume that James' lack of a reply in this thread has to do with the fact he has no new information to provide. James has done all that he can, it is the Accountants, solicitors and management who are showing disrespect to the subscribers by not providing James with an update. I would also go as far as saying that they are showing James a massive disrespect - he is the public face of this issue and they are not providing him with timely updates.

I can't believe that the publishers are willing to let this drag on like this. It's not the fact that we feel entitled to a free iPad edition, but that it is something that was dangled in front of us exactly a year ago which has yet to happen.

(in reply to nunntrev)
Post #: 178
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 23/10/2012 4:24:12 PM   
James Dyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: nunntrev
What I find even more disturbing than the fact that it is now more than a year since we were misled into believing that a resolution was imminent is that it has been nearly 3 months since Mr Dyer has seen fit to acknowledge the concerns of subscribers. Contrary to the undeserved patience of followers on this thread who sympathise that they are "sure he is doing everything he can" I find the lack of courtesy in neglecting to update us even more poor than the apparent mishandling of this farce. Sorry if anyone finds this harsh but as Digital Editor In Chief I find the neglect of this issue and the queries of those of us posting here wholly disrespectful.

Honestly, I don't blame you. I feel much the same way myself though am limited in how much I can express my frustration on a public forum. I don't have any new information since my last post, I'm afraid.

< Message edited by James Dyer -- 23/10/2012 4:25:08 PM >

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 179
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/10/2012 1:58:52 PM   
Philbh

James,

Have you passed on this thread to the powers that be? It just seems pretty incredible that after all of this time the accountants/lawyers can't get something sorted.

How about this for a compromise. Exclusive subscriber only price for the iPad edition - 69p (I think this is the minimum price possible other than Free). Would that not satisfy the taxman? It would be a fair price to charge subscribers, who have already paid for the content and now just require access to an alternative format.

At the end of the day, I would actually be willing to pay the VAT on the subscription price of the magazine, if it meant that you could provide total access. Would not modifying the product description to be access to the entire Empire service be another way around this? We could be paying an annual subscription (including tax) for a printed periodical, web based movie news service and a digital copy of the periodical.

When all of these companies can find loopholes to benefit themselves financially (Like the recent stories about Starbucks, Amazon and Ebay paying a tiny fraction of the tax they should), then why can't Empire/Bauer find a way of benefiting their customers/readers.

I am still living in hope, although perhaps it really is time to just give up.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI