Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Subscriptions!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 28/3/2012 8:10:04 PM   
Fredex_ch

Is there any possibility to cancel my new subscription ?

Why is it still possible to subscribe if we can't receive the news issues ?

< Message edited by Fredex_ch -- 29/3/2012 5:29:13 AM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 91
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/3/2012 10:33:21 AM   
James Dyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fredex_ch

Is there any possibility to cancel my new subscription ?

Why is it still possible to subscribe if we can't receive the news issues ?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you subscribe to the iPad edition then you'll get future issues. DItto if you subscribe to print then you'll get the print edition. WHat we can't yet offer is digital versions for print subscribers. I know I've been ducking questions about this, which must be frustrating, but that's basically because I'm still waiting to hear. I hope to get some kind of clarity this afternoon - both on an updated timeline and on the other issues (VAT etc) that have arisen and what that means. All this stuff is above my paygrade so at the moment I'm as much in the dark as you are.

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to Fredex_ch)
Post #: 92
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/3/2012 12:03:12 PM   
adambatman82

I took out a three month subscription this morning to try the magazine out. Looking forward to trying it out just as soon as my iPad has recharged (5 and a half hours for a full charge!?!).

(in reply to Fredex_ch)
Post #: 93
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/3/2012 12:43:56 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I subscribe to the print edition but I have had iPad editions in the past and they are pretty damn cool. Love being able to watch a trailer whilst reading the mag

Be great once the digital edition with print is sorted but working in the IT industry I completely understand your frustrations at having to rely on third party suppliers and external sources........ Fingers crossed it happens soon(ish)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 94
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/3/2012 7:16:01 PM   
Fredex_ch

James... Sorry. Sorry for my english and for my message... Nevermind

It's seems that's yesterday night was a very bad night.

Sorry again and thanks for all.

< Message edited by Fredex_ch -- 29/3/2012 7:17:20 PM >

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 95
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 30/3/2012 10:23:19 AM   
James Dyer

So, I got my update and I'm not any closer to being able to give a straight answer. Which is a right arse. I have asked, nay DEMANDED, that someone get a proper answer in the next week so that you're all not left hanging with no idea what's going on. Will update as soon as I'm updated.

(in reply to Fredex_ch)
Post #: 96
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 30/3/2012 10:28:13 AM   
Rob

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 97
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 1/4/2012 12:57:22 PM   
Star fox

hi can anybody tell me if the ipad download are ready yet i get my copy of empire through the post with no problem but still can't get my free copy on the ipad what am i doing wrong please help or is it not possible yet thanks

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 98
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 4/4/2012 9:34:27 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Star fox

hi can anybody tell me if the ipad download are ready yet i get my copy of empire through the post with no problem but still can't get my free copy on the ipad what am i doing wrong please help or is it not possible yet thanks

If you're asking whether print subscribers can download the iPad editions for free - then the the answer is: not yet, but hopefully soon.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Star fox)
Post #: 99
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 6/4/2012 11:39:39 AM   
Tetarchus

Hi James,

Just wondering whether if, once the magazine + iPad subscription issue is sorted, would we get access to back issues if we were a subscriber when they were released?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 100
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/4/2012 6:46:19 PM   
wisedive

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

So, I got my update and I'm not any closer to being able to give a straight answer. Which is a right arse. I have asked, nay DEMANDED, that someone get a proper answer in the next week so that you're all not left hanging with no idea what's going on. Will update as soon as I'm updated.

[  ] DEMANDED

[x] Asked far too nicely and were completely ignored

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 101
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 14/4/2012 4:04:55 PM   
Nithrin

So. It's come down to this: I got my subscription renewal card in the mail. Looking at the price there and compairing it to the iPad Edition, the choice it quite easy, actually. With paper AND iPad, I would probably go for the higher pricing but since that seems not to be happening, I will be contributing with less money than before. I am sure I am not the only one. If you want the money to keep coming in, you ought to fix this NOW.

James, do you want our money or not?

(in reply to Fredex_ch)
Post #: 102
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 16/4/2012 12:57:53 PM   
simonbrislin

Can you get the subscriber offer with an Ipad edition subscription?

Currently a print subscriber but my subscription is about to come to an end. Trying to work out what subscription (if any) to go for. The ipad/print subscription debacle is putting me off making any decisions.

Currently thinking cancel subscription and maybe buy single editions as and when. The suits need to make up their mind. Their indecision is losing them safe customers.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 103
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 16/4/2012 6:39:15 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nithrin

So. It's come down to this: I got my subscription renewal card in the mail. Looking at the price there and compairing it to the iPad Edition, the choice it quite easy, actually. With paper AND iPad, I would probably go for the higher pricing but since that seems not to be happening, I will be contributing with less money than before. I am sure I am not the only one. If you want the money to keep coming in, you ought to fix this NOW.

James, do you want our money or not?

This feels a little harsh. The iPad Edition isn't a simple pdf of the magazine, it no doubt requires a lot of hard work and is up there amongst the very best of the iPad magazines. Also, it shouldn't be pointed out that it was never said at launch of the app that we (print subscribers) would be getting the iPad edition for free - this has come later. Basically, if they do it, it's a bonus for print subscribers.

James has been updating us about the delays and the reasons behind it (ie - it's not Empire's staff causing the delay but is the external parties).

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Nithrin)
Post #: 104
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 18/4/2012 6:10:27 PM   
Robot walk

Hi

Bought a subscription yesterday for the iPad edition of the magazine. Would like to download the May issue but it is still coming up as 3.99 on the app. Is this issue not included in the subscription? Will I have to wait for June's issue to download as part of my subscription?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 105
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 19/4/2012 2:50:18 PM   
Nithrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

This feels a little harsh. The iPad Edition isn't a simple pdf of the magazine, it no doubt requires a lot of hard work and is up there amongst the very best of the iPad magazines. Also, it shouldn't be pointed out that it was never said at launch of the app that we (print subscribers) would be getting the iPad edition for free - this has come later. Basically, if they do it, it's a bonus for print subscribers.

James has been updating us about the delays and the reasons behind it (ie - it's not Empire's staff causing the delay but is the external parties).

I agree with you totally, and perhaps I was a bit too quick. I just wanted to point out that Empire might loose money, or subscribers all together, if this goes on much longer. On the other hand, perhaps we are a few nerds that want both editions and read the updates on the subject. I should also point out that when I got the letter, I went online and realized that Empire wanted to charge me, a current subscriber, 25 more than if I just went online and signed up for a new subscription. I appreciate that there are the occasional campaigns, but 25? That probably got my blood boiling a bit more.

I would love to have it in my iPad, but right now I feel that the double subscription will be a bit too much. Decisions, decisions...

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 106
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/4/2012 5:43:11 PM   
Philbh

This thread has had around 12,000 views, so it must be a particularly important topic for people.

Perhaps it's time for Empire to put us out of our misery so we can make a decision about our subscriptions. Is the dual subscription ever going to happen, or should we all just face the fact that we will have to choose between Print or Digital?

I hate having to choose between the formats, as I would miss my subscriber covers too much, but the iPad edition is more convenient with the bonus of being able to watch the trailers when looking at the reviews.

James, any further information?

(in reply to Nithrin)
Post #: 107
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 1/5/2012 4:30:49 PM   
Tosh

I totally agree with Philbh. I love subscribers edition - especially the latest Bond one!! But I love the digital due to bonus special features.
I would like the convenience of both - hell if we had to pay an extra quid for both then i don't mind that. But we do need an answer one way or the other though.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 108
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/5/2012 5:52:20 PM   
etang77

Quick question, just been charged for automatic renewal for $24.99.

First question, how many months subscription is that?

Second question, how to cancel automatic renewal, because I want to change to yearly subscription rather than half year, which was the max when I first subscribed.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 109
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 17/5/2012 2:17:37 PM   
chumpuk

Hi - I'm thinking of subscribing on the ipad based on a purchase of the latest Skyfall edition at the airport recently.

If I were to sign up now, would the Skyfall edition be included as part of my 12 month subscription? I wouldn't want it to be as I already own a hard copy.

A related question would be, would I be forced to download every issue for the next 12 months as part of the subscription regardless of whether I wanted it or not, or could I pick and chose which editions to download over the next, say, 18 months?

Thanks

(in reply to etang77)
Post #: 110
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 25/5/2012 10:20:27 AM   
muldered

James,

Is there any update on this, please? I am currently a paper subscriber, but having recently bought a shiny new "resolutionary" iPad, I've rather neglected my paper mags, and would want to have both going forward, so is there any update on the legal wrangling etc?

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more per year for the iPad version (e.g. 5?) if it resolved the tax issues?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 111
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 26/5/2012 9:53:59 AM   
Nithrin

I got tired of waiting so I ended up with subscribing to the iPad Edition, James. It sort of hurts, since I am in the printing business myself and should wotk for preserving the printed issues, but my own wallet has its say as well.

I'll keep a close watch on this forum though, If you solve the issue, I might go back.

(in reply to Fredex_ch)
Post #: 112
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/5/2012 10:49:59 AM   
Rob

Well it's been 2 months since the last time we heard anything so I'm guessing no news. With 4 months to go before my subscription is up I'm confident I'll make it the entire year without the benefit of the dual paper / iPad subscription.

I still don't understand how hard it can be when so many other companies are offering it but what do I know?

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Nithrin)
Post #: 113
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 6/6/2012 11:09:14 AM   
James Dyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: etang77

Quick question, just been charged for automatic renewal for $24.99.

First question, how many months subscription is that?

Second question, how to cancel automatic renewal, because I want to change to yearly subscription rather than half year, which was the max when I first subscribed.

Sounds like 6 month one. To cancel the recurrance, go into your account in iTunes and there's a subscriptions button. You can manage all subs in there.

(in reply to etang77)
Post #: 114
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 6/6/2012 12:46:38 PM   
James Dyer

Apologies for neglecting this but the US launch took up all of my time for the last month. The latest on this is in two parts. The first is the technical one, which will actually enable us to offer a joined up package. From what I'm told, the bulk of the work is basically done so we should be in a position to put this into action in July. However, what form this takes remains to be seen. We've been advised by HMRC that giving the iPad issue away for free for anything more than an 'introductory' period could incur the wrath of the taxman and place all our subscriptions at risk of having 20% VAT slapped on them. We're currently negotiating a way through this particular minefield, which may involve 'upselling' the subs by a nominal amout to get around this. So mixed news but you did ask for an update. Will let you know more as it's passed on to me.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 115
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 6/6/2012 7:44:57 PM   
Artoo02

Thanks for the update James. What a saga!

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 116
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 8/6/2012 7:33:58 AM   
markjewiss

Thanks for the update. Personally I would be happy to pay a few pounds per year more to get the digital content with my print edition, and I guess that most people would too.

Have to ask though - Wired have been doing this for ages, and they charge 2 per issue for print and digital editions combined, with the digital edition being advertised as 'free' for subscribers... I don't want to start a content / cost comparison, simply pointing out that others are doing it and prices are not going up...

MJ

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 117
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 8/6/2012 12:15:28 PM   
James Dyer

Yeah, I did actually raise this. I'm told (don't hold me to it, I'm just gathering info) that this is something all publishers will have to revisit in the very near future. Either that or we all band together and strike a deal with HMRC. I'm hoping for a proper rundown once our tax lawyers hand over their report. Will keep you posted.

(in reply to markjewiss)
Post #: 118
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 14/6/2012 3:38:04 PM   
hiphopdreday

With this having dragged on for quite a while now I just thought it might be worth noting an article on the Macrumors website about Time Inc.'s Sports Illustrated app. The link is below:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/14/time-inc-begins-offering-digital-magazine-subscriptions-in-newsstand/

This link clearly shows a screen for the app that offers three options for purchase. 'Print Subscribers' to get it free. And two options for single purchase of the magazine or a subscription to the magazine.

This seems to be exactly what the Empire app should be offering if they want subscribers to the print magazine to be able to obtain the iPad magazine free so is there something that Time Inc. have managed to sort out with Apple to achieve this that Empire should be able to look into or are Empire having other problems that Time Inc. seem to not be having?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 119
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 14/6/2012 5:16:11 PM   
James Dyer

Quite simply: Time is in America. It's nothing to do with Apple, unfortunately, and entirely due to the UK's Inland Revenue Service, which provides tax exempt status to print magazines but not to digital ones.

(in reply to hiphopdreday)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI