Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Subscriptions!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/1/2012 2:47:56 PM   
Tonard

I have an interesting question!
True that I am happy with reading my fave magazine on the iPad... but it is quite heavy (almost 700Mb per edition) and if we have a 16Gb iPad... it can come quickly as a problem...
Isn't there a way we could save our edition on a computer (as I honestly love going back to them once I saw a movie), instead of 'erasing' them from the iPad to leave room for the next issue?

And instead of downloading it again (as it takes time... 700Mb!!)

Thanks

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 61
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 27/1/2012 4:14:36 PM   
deckard01

Any News on Print-Subscribers getting the iPad-Editions?

(in reply to Tosh)
Post #: 62
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/1/2012 2:29:36 PM   
pazza

quote:

ORIGINAL: deckard01

Any News on Print-Subscribers getting the iPad-Editions?

I've given up on this...

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

(in reply to deckard01)
Post #: 63
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 31/1/2012 3:42:27 PM   
Rob

The last thing we heard from James was that there were issues with the VAT.

However, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that we won't actually ever get it which is mildly annoying as that was part of the reason I re-subscribed to the print version. Yes I know it's my fault because there was nothing in the terms to say this would happen but still...

I know the telegraph allow free iPad subscriptions to paper subscribers so it can't be too hard!

Any news James?

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to pazza)
Post #: 64
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 1/2/2012 7:34:50 PM   
nunntrev

I'm with Rob. I feel a bit cheated that I renewed in November on the promise (see iTunes App description posted in October) that the free iPad subscription would be available in "weeks" for print subscribers. Months later, the promise is still there for all to see but still no joy. I don't buy the VAT argument - I have subscribed to GQ and Wired for years and neither of them (along with many other mag providers) have had no problem accommodating their existing subscribers with Ipad versions for no additional charge. Poor show Empire.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 65
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/2/2012 1:24:18 AM   
emilysdad

Hello James

I've been eagerly awaiting the promised update allowing free downloads to print subscribers but now notice there is no mention of it on the App Store page. Is it still happening? Would you still advise against cancelling existing subscriptions?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 66
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 2/2/2012 3:53:09 PM   
Philbh

I am also in the same position as a few others. Having taken out another year's magazine subscription on the promise of the iPad edition being available for no extra charge. Had I known in November that this wouldn't happen (at least not in the timeframe previously suggested), then I would have switched to the iPad edition.

Any updates at all on the situation?

(in reply to emilysdad)
Post #: 67
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 7/2/2012 5:10:35 PM   
cdrider

Any news on merged subscriptions and auto downloading?

I took a 3 month iPad sub and it doesnt alert me when a new issue is available. The Newsstand icon shows the Mission Impossible cover.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 68
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 9/2/2012 3:34:26 PM   
Philbh

Anyone at Empire with an update on the iPad edition for Print subscribers? It was October when we were first told that it would be available to us within weeks.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 69
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 9/2/2012 6:08:00 PM   
Dougal

I've given up on this now. I used to buy it twice, in print and digitally. Not any more. This, twinned with the iPhone app, makes Empire's digital strategy risible at best and laughable at worst. If it were a reviewed film it would have lots to promise but nothing to deliver. And be totally incomprehensible. Like Guy Ritchie's film Revolver. Sort it out guys. You're losing us to Total Film, Little White Lies or anyone else in the market who seems to have more of a clue than you do.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 70
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/2/2012 9:45:18 AM   
Rob

I think it's a shame because when it works the digital magazine is hands-down the best product in the market in my opinion. However, with quite a few issues still plaguing the app and the seemingly never to be fulfilled promise of dual print / digital subscriptions I think that Bauer need to get things back on track sooner rather than later.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Dougal)
Post #: 71
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 10/2/2012 11:24:27 AM   
Fincher

I tried the Total Film edition and it was crap. Hangs and you have to zoom all the time.

The Empire app has had some issues but usually you download the magazine a day or two later and then it works.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 72
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 13/2/2012 11:58:05 AM   
James Dyer

Hello all. Apologies for the absence but I've been off for the last month. In answer to the OP, any functionality like that is out of our hands as we're stuck with the reader that Adobe give us. If they ever implement it, though, it'll filter through to us.

In answer to the subs thing, I know it's taking a while and for that I'm very sorry. It's still something I'm very keen to deliver but the company that handles all our subscriptions to the mag has to work with our developers to let their servers talk directly to Adobe's fulfilment server so that mag subscribers can get their free iPad copies. It sounds simple enough but apparently it's not. Anyway, there are about four different camps of develoeprs squabbling over who is stopping it from working and the upshot is that they say it'll be done in 8 weeks. Actually they said that last week so I guess it's 7 weeks now. That's all I can tell you at the moment.

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 73
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 13/2/2012 12:21:50 PM   
Nithrin

Here's a thought:

Wouldn't it be possible to give double subscribers a credit when the iPad free subs start working? E.g if I order one today (working abroad, i'm longing for the ipad version) and in 7 weeks, when the miracle happes, my subscription is just prolonged with 7 weeks (or nuber of issues). All I need to do is to show you the receipt for the iPad sub and confirm that I took it during an ongoing paper sub.

Or perhaps that is as complicated to administrate as getting the free subscription to work.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 74
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 13/2/2012 12:41:29 PM   
James Dyer

It'd probably take us another 5 years just to get that to work!

(in reply to Nithrin)
Post #: 75
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 18/2/2012 9:06:18 AM   
niterbbr

"A couple more months/7 weeks/blue moon/when Empire office staff win the lottery/when Tom Cruise comes out" etc etc etc.
Give us another encouraging quip about ipad/"paper" dual subscriptions, I expect most of us reading this "string" could do with a laugh/smile/snigger/grimace/nausea. I could rant on for at least "a couple more months/7 weeks... blah blah blah.

Nite

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 76
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 21/2/2012 6:02:35 PM   
Artoo02

It seems like all this is way too reliant on Adobe...

I'm still looking forward to getting free iPad editions with my print subscription though, whenever it may happen, fingers crossed it isn't too much longer. But to be honest the whole set-up feels a little shambolic, and I worry for the future of the mag if its ability to get published and be subscribed to properly takes months and relies on Adobe and Apple not to mess you about.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to niterbbr)
Post #: 77
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/2/2012 9:51:18 AM   
Rob

I'm not convinced the dual subscription model will ever see the light of day. When it was mooted last year all the talk was a couple of weeks etc. It's now been 5 months since I resubscribed with the belief that this was imminent and yet even given the most optimistic time scales I will be 7 / 8 months into a 12 month subscription by the time it happens.

Again I want to reiterate that there's nothing in the terms and it was my decision to proceed so I only have myself to blame but there is such a thing as managing expectations and I don't think Empire has done that particularly well.

(in reply to Artoo02)
Post #: 78
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/2/2012 10:18:52 AM   
James Dyer

Sadly, I do agree with you. It IS a bit shambolic that we've not been able to sort this out yet and for that I most sincerely apologise. It's the unfortuante by-product of having to rely on so many external parties in order to make things happen. I completely understand your frustrations and that you're mightily pissed off about this.

As I've mentioned before, the main roadblock here is the technical integration of our app database with that of the company that handles all our print subscriptions. Their computer setup (which I can only assume is largely made of wood) has required a lot of development work to make this work - which is still ongoing. This is compounded by the current uncertainty around VAT, which has necessitated some negotiations with the nice men and women at HMRC. None of this is an excuse, just trying to keep you all in the loop with what the hold up is.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 79
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 22/2/2012 2:38:23 PM   
MrChristopher

I just received a call form the subs department offering me 3 months for 5, which I took. I only agreed to this as I was assured I would get the iPad edition, for free, at the same time. He even double checked and said I' receive all the details in my confirmation letter when I questioned how that would work. Afterwards I decide to have a search and see if anyone else has mentioned it and it now seems that isn't the fact. I think someone needs to have a word with the people ringing up with these offers. It's only 5 but the reason I cancelled my print subscription, of 4/5 years, was to move to the iPad version.
I don't appreciate being signed up to the print version for another 3 months if I'm still not going to get the iPad version. I would have been much happier with no print version and paying more money just getting the digital one. I'm not made of money but I cancelled my sub for a very specific reason and I feel I've been duped into extending it unnecessarily!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 80
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/2/2012 1:11:14 PM   
brumhee

Thanks for keeping us updated James, even though it seems a thankless task at times.

When the iPad version for print subscribers does come online will it be for all digital issues during the subscription period or just from when the intergration works?

(in reply to MrChristopher)
Post #: 81
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/2/2012 3:14:36 PM   
James Dyer

A good question. I'm honestly not sure how that part will work as they've not managed to get the bloody thing running yet! I suspect it'll be only issues during your subscription period though.

(in reply to brumhee)
Post #: 82
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 29/2/2012 3:40:13 PM   
Philbh

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Dyer

A good question. I'm honestly not sure how that part will work as they've not managed to get the bloody thing running yet! I suspect it'll be only issues during your subscription period though.

So, if your suspicion is correct it would mean that we would get every backdated issue for the whole time we have had an active subscription. If it happens, then it would more than make up for the delays, but I think we'd more likely only have access to issues going forward. This is one occasion I would love to proved wrong.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 83
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 1/3/2012 12:11:53 PM   
James Dyer

Sorry, I probably should have worded that better. It will likely be just issues going forward, so while your subscription is active you'll get access to all new issues as they become available. That's not definite, though. Until our subs people sort their data feed out I can't quite get a handle on whether it signs off individual issues or bypasses the paywall entirely.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 84
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 3/3/2012 12:38:52 PM   
deckard01

So even if one had an subscription for a long time, he still would have to buy the digital back-issues?
That kind of sucks!!
I am not willing to pay double for any issue and rather just keep the print-subscription....

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 85
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 9/3/2012 11:58:14 AM   
Philbh

How is the database integration going? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

(in reply to deckard01)
Post #: 86
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 16/3/2012 1:54:17 PM   
Janetyjanet

Decisions, decisions...

My print subscription renewal is due now - so do I stick with print in the hope that all the technical issues will finally resolve themselves in the near future & I'll end up with the best of both worlds?
Or do I take out an iPad only subscription so I am guaranteed to get the shiny interactive bits on top of the standard content...?  

What have others in the same position chosen to do & what's the latest realistic timescale (I phoned the Subs phone line and they're giving an estimate of 'the summer')

Any advice gratefully received!

(in reply to deckard01)
Post #: 87
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 16/3/2012 2:27:13 PM   
Rob

I'd work under the assumption that it's highly unlikely that you'll get the dual subscription model. They've been promising it for months now and I'd say it's looking very unlikely. So basically it's a straight toss up between print or digital

I re-subscribed in October assuming that I'd be able to get the iPad edition in a few months but that still hasn't materialised. When it comes to re-subscribing next time unless there's something in the terms I'll subscribe on the basis of what you see is what you get.

(in reply to Janetyjanet)
Post #: 88
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 23/3/2012 9:40:13 AM   
Philbh

James,

Any further news about the dual subscription. Based on your last estimate, we would be about 2 weeks away.

It reminds a little of the builders in Money Pit -

Curly: If he ever does come back, you call me and we'll finish the job.
Walter: When I do get the permits, how long will the job take?
Curly: Two weeks.
Walter: Two weeks? Two weeks?
Curly: You sound like a parakeet there. "Two weeks! Two weeks!"
Walter: Well, two weeks. It- it's amazing.
Curly: Amazing nothing. It'll be a regular miracle.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 89
RE: Subscriptions!!! - 28/3/2012 10:26:56 AM   
Rob

Well it's been a month since we last heard anything so I'm assuming it's all good news and that things are progressing as planned with the dual subscriptions! Next week is week eight so it will all be up and runnning by then!

Sarcastic? Moi?

Any update James? Even if it's just to say it's never going to happen it would be good to know something.

(in reply to Philbh)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> RE: Subscriptions!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI