Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 12/6/2012 11:17:25 PM   
tommyjarvis

I'm BACK in the saddle again.

No. 8 - Peeled Apples

"The figure eight inside-out is infinity"

When it was announced that, following the career-reviving Send Away The Tigers, the band were to follow it up with a dark, uncommercial album featuring lyrics Richey Edwards left behind, many wondered if it was a cynical ploy to cash in on their earlier goodwill. Others worried that well-off 40-somethings couldn't do the material justice.

It doesn't take long for Journal For Plague Lovers to prove the doubters wrong. An eerie quote, a moody bassline, abrasive riffs - this bore all the hallmarks of producer Steve Albini but it brought out a side of the Manics that we hadn't heard since The Holy Bible. It's this opening track, Peeled Apples, that stands out - short, dark and yet still catchy, and the most dangerous the band had sounded in 15 years. How many multi-platinum rock bands could pull something like that off?

In their own words: "He (Richey) was obsessed with the perfect circle and Van Gogh's figure eight and all that. It was kind of a recurring theme he never seemed to get to grips with" (Nicky Wire)

Manicness rating: 4/5. Not that fast, but aggressive, threatening and loud.

Obscure quotes and references: The opening quote ("You know so little about me. What if I turn into a werewolf or something?") is from the Christian Bale thriller The Machinist.

How many times is the title repeated?: None.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Fuck knows what this song's about. Seriously, it sounds like a bunch of cool lyrics thrown together. But it works.

How did it do in the charts?: Like every other song off this album, wasn't a single.

Get it on: Journal For Plague Lovers (2009)

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCB7bTGcFo

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 91
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 13/6/2012 7:54:14 AM   
matty_b

YES IT'S BACK.

Great song, too. Definitely one of their more lyrically obtuse songs, but brilliant with it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 92
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 18/6/2012 11:04:00 PM   
tommyjarvis

Well it's good to see that at least Matty still cares

No. 7 - You Love Us

"We are not your sinners, our voices are for real..."

This is the sound of exuberant arrogance that only youth can pull off. In a way, this is the band at their most "punk"; it's got that rallying cry mentality and it's fast, loud and aggressive. But it's also an early showcase for some musical skill (some of Bradfield's best guitar playing) and it still has the sense of fun. And for all the more "difficult" material or more commercially successful singles they would later have, few if any of their songs can get a moshpit going quite like You Love Us.

In their own words: "The template for it, of course, was a double-reverse negative of 'We Love You' by the Stones" (James Dean Bradfield).

Manicness rating: 5/5. This is all about the rocking out. Try not head-banging to that solo!

Obscure quotes and references: EST ("same PR problem as EST") refers to Electro-shock therapy.

How many times is the title repeated?: 23, and that's not even counting the various "you love..."'s. It's like they're not even trying.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Mildly, seems all very anarchic stuff. I may not be concentrating clearly. it's late.

How did it do in the charts?: No.16 in 1991, although the "Heavenly" version had made no 62 earlier on that year.

Get it on: Generation Terrorists (1992)

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgKXBJ2LZKo

Post #: 93
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 19/6/2012 10:29:47 AM   
matty_b

I do care, Tommy - I'm personally grateful that you're finishing this for my benefit.

Anyway, a song that's always better live than on record - some of GT is a little too airbrushed and clean, I feel, but it's a great song nonetheless.

quote:

Post #: 94
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 21/6/2012 12:50:58 AM   
Lazarus munkey

My favourite band and I think Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood are both better than Gold Against the Soul & Generation Terrorists.

I have several unpopular musical opinions.

1. The Holy Bible
2. Everything Must Go
3. Know Your Enemy
4. Lifeblood
5. This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
6. Journal For Plague Lovers
7. Gold Against The Soul
8. Generation Terrorists
9. Send Away The Tigers
10. Postcards From A Young Man (the only bad album they've released)

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 95
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 11:47:20 AM   
tommyjarvis

I'm going to be lazy and re-post my review I wrote of this song for my top 101 songs thread a while back.

No. 6 - A Design For Life

"Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us free..."

A lesser band might well have crumbled at the stage the Manics were at in 1995-96. Their last album, 1994's harrowing The Holy Bible, had been acclaimed but flopped commercially, and then Richey Edwards disappeared in early 1995, presumably via suicide. Yet they stuck it out as a three-piece and went on to release this, arguably their definitive song. If not quite as nihilistic as their earlier work, it's still along the same lines lyrically, with a sense of disgust at the nation. Our generation has so much information at their disposal, and the ability to do whatever they want, yet we waste our time getting pissed without achieving anything. It's almost a response to Oasis' Cigarettes and Alcohol.

And then what happened? The very people who the song satirises adopted it as a drinking anthem and suddenly the Manics became one of the biggest groups in the country. What's a band to do? Mainly, the reason for this is because it's the first time that the group were able to combine great lyrics with truly anthemic music. It sounds huge and even back on release it sounded classic. Plus the chorus is hardly difficult to sing along to. Some may deride the group as having sold out from here-on in, but it's a rare band that can have something to say and do so in a method that strikes a chord with the masses, and for that the Manic Street Preachers should be treasured.

In their own words: "The song was inspired by what I perceived as the middle classes trying to hijack working-class culture. That was typified by Blur's Girls And Boys" (Nicky Wire) (so not Cigarettes and Alcohol, I guess, then).

Manicness rating: 3/5 - more stately and epic than anything else.

Obscure quotes and references: Not directly, but the "libraries gave us power" line was inspired by "Knowledge is power", an inscription in Newport Library.

How many times is the title repeated?: 12, I think. They couldn't really be arsed coming up with a complex chorus.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Fairly straightforward.

How did it do in the charts?: Reached number 2, at that point their highest charting single. It was kept off the top by Mark Morrison's Return Of The Mack. Whatever happened to him?

Get it on: Everything Must Go (1996)

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfEoVxy7VDQ

Post #: 96
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 11:53:57 AM   
matty_b

Not top five? Controversial.

It's an absolutely wonderful song, though. Great lyrics by Wire (for a change), an awesome tune and superb production that doesn't bury it in strings. Amazing stuff.

quote:

Post #: 97
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 12:05:09 PM   
tommyjarvis

I'm going to do exactly the same for the next one.

No. 5 - 4st 7lb

"I eat too much to die and not enough to stay alive. I'm sitting in the middle waiting"

Ooh, here's a cheery one. Even without the external circumstances, this song isn't an easy listen. Telling the tale of an anorexic teenage girl determined to slim down to the titular weight [the minimum at which an adult woman can survive, apparently], this is full of distressingly graphic imagery ["Stretched skin taut, clingfilm on bone"] and a genuinely disturbing look into the anorexic mindset. When you factor in the fact that the lyrics were penned by Richey Edwards, who seemingly committed suicide shortly afterwards, it's particularly uncomfortable [especially when you combine it with Die In The Summertime off the same album]. It's not just the lyrics that have the effect though - musically it's remarkable. Split into distinct halves, the first couple of minutes feature harsh vocals and abrasive riffs, before a more downbeat, chilling conclusion without any kind of chorus. The calmer tomes somehow make things all the more disturbing, and worst of all, perhaps, is the tone of moral superiority the narrator seems to get from her situation ["Just look at the fat scum who pamper me so"]. By the end, you feel drained. And in this culture obsessed with skinny celebrities, it's all the more relevant today.

In their own words: "The only freedom left is the freedom to starve" (Richey Edwards)

Manicness rating: 3/5. Brutal at the start, terrifyingly sedate by the end.

Obscure quotes and references: A lot here. The opening quote (above) is from a documentary called Caroline's Story (see here at 1.57 in). Karen ("... says I've reached my target weight") is 90s agony aunt Karen Krizanovich, Kate and Emma and Kristin ("...know it's fake") are models Kate Moss, Emma Balfour and Kristin McMenamy respectively and there's a reference to 60s supermodel Twiggy towards the end.

How many times is the title repeated?: Once ("yeah, 4st 7lb, an epilogue of youth")

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Pretty direct, if you pay attention rather than just having it as background music.

How did it do in the charts?: Yeah... as if this could ever have been a single.

Get it on: The Holy Bible (1994)

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy2ebaAGMU0

Post #: 98
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 12:17:26 PM   
tommyjarvis

I'd quite like to get this bad boy done with now. Let's try harder for this one:

No. 4 - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

"And on the street tonight an old man plays with newspaper cuttings of his glory days"

How many bands other than the Manic Street Preachers could have got a track about the Spanish Civil War, with such an unwieldy title, to the top of the singles charts? Not many, and that's probably cos not many of them can write an anthem as good as this. Shooting for the mainstream it may be, but not at the expense of making a statement and there probably isn't a moment quite as spine-tingling in their back catalogue as the "AAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDD..." right before the final chorus kicks in.

In their own words: "Lyrically the song was inspired by Orwell's Homage To Catalonia and The Clash singing Spanish Bombs (Nicky Wire).

Manicness rating: 3/5. As with ADFL, a stately, mature epic.

Obscure quotes and references: Las Ramblas is a famous street in Barcelona. If I ever go to Barcelona, I suspect I'll be too distracted by the Nou Camp to go and look for it.

How many times is the title repeated?: Six (plus various "will be next"'s)

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Not very clear to the uninitiated, when this came out I had to be told it related to the Spanish Civil War. Then again, I was only 13.

How did it do in the charts?: The band's first chart-topper, keeping Steps's classic One For Sorrow off the top spot.

Get it on: This Is My Truth Tell My Yours (1998)

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8szNPgrEs

Post #: 99
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 12:32:37 PM   
tommyjarvis

Persevere, persevere...

No. 3 - Australia

"My cheeks are turning yellow, I think I'll take another pill"

I love Australia. I probably shouldn't say that out loud just now since I'm in New Zealand (in fact, I'm off to watch the All Blacks play Australia tomorrow) but it's a great country. Not withstanding the dangers in the picture above, it has spectacular sights, loads of cool (albeit lethal) animals, great weather, Neighbours and thousands of slutty backpackers. This song reminds me of my year spent backpacking round there so will always mean a lot to me.

Well, that and it's a great song too.

Manicness rating: 4/5. Just a rocking good time.

Obscure quotes and references: Australia isn't a particularly obscure reference, right, surely everyone knows where that is?

How many times is the title repeated?: About 12, I think.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: It's about getting away from all the stresses of life and going as far away as possible. Personally, I'd suggest going somewhere where you're less likely to get eaten alive if you want relaxation.

How did it do in the charts?: Top 10 hit in late '96 (wiki's down, so I can't confirm)

Get it on: Everything Must Go (1996)

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-Hq68lE7Y

Post #: 100
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 12:47:56 PM   
tommyjarvis

Almost there. Matty's been waiting for months for the climax.

No. 2 - Yes

"Don't act, just obey, lie down, do as they say; may as well be heaven this hell, smells the same"

As the opener of The Holy Bible, Yes has the job of introducing you to the hellish world it inhabits. Which it does effectively, starting with a poppy riff, then dropping the c-bomb within the first line and diving into lyrics describing baby mutilation, prostitution and all manner of other ungodly abuse. Frankly, it sounds a bit like The Human Centipede 2. But it's more articulate than that, with so many memorable lines that's it's hard to keep track (definitely one to follow with the lyrics booklet handy. It's called Yes because there is nothing so depraved that someone, somewhere, won't agree to do it, but the title also serves as a handy hint of what to say when someone asks you "Is The Holy Bible the greatest album ever made?"

In their own words: "I remember getting the lyrics like Yes and I remember thinking, "You crazy fucker, how do you expect me to write music to this?" "(James Dean Bradfield)

Manicness rating: 4/5. Starts deceptively bouncy, then gets progressively darker and heavier.

Obscure quotes and references: The opening quote is from a documentary called "Hookers, Hustlers, Pimps and their Johns". Sounds like fun, quite honestly!

How many times is the title repeated?: Once ("Purgatory's circle, drowning here, someone will always say yes")

How lyrically obtuse is it?: It garbles a lot of words into not a lot of space, so takes some effort to unravel, but once you get the picture it's reasonably clear.

How did it do in the charts?: Not exactly single material, this one.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3C9aAupQI

Post #: 101
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 12:58:47 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Matty's been waiting for months for the climax

Always the way.

4st 7lb - just an incredible, incredible combination of horrifying lyrics set to perfectly matched music. Top three stuff and an excellent review to boot.

If You Tolerate This... - I know a lot of people (i.e. hipsters) went off them from this period, but I think this is a great song.

Australia - good, but a bit high for me.

Yes - excellent choice.

quote:

Post #: 102
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 1:05:58 PM   
tommyjarvis

And you could easily find out what the number one would be, so let's do this:

No. 1 - Archives Of Pain

"I wonder who you think you are. Do you damn well think you're God or something? God give life, God taketh it away, not you. I think you are the devil itself"

For the champion, I have once again shamelessly pillaged myself and nicked my essay from my other thread a while back since I doubt I could do any better:

Here, folks, is a song that quite literally takes no prisoners. Right from the off the mood is grim, with a quote from the mother of one of the Yorkshire Ripper's victims [above]. Then the song proper starts, with a simple yet highly ominous bass riff and you're left in no doubt that this, like so much of The Holy Bible, is going to be an intense experience. The lyrics urge a return to the days of capital punishment, arguing that "There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday" and that "you will be buried in the same box as a killer", before launching into a chorus of sorts that lists a range of serial killers, dictators and other pleasant sorts who ought to be put out of the misery. And the second verse suggests the sterilisation of rapists, for good measure ["All I preach is extinction!"]. This may be a bit much for those who thought You Stole The Sun From My Heart was a bit noisy, but it's a terrifically powerful song and closes with a thunderous musical outro that's a world away from the more 80s-ish solos of Generation Terrorists and all the better for it. The highly right-wing views of songwriter Richey Edwards even made his bandmates a bit uncomfortable, which is maybe understandable, but it never lessens the ferocity of this extraordinary song.

Funny thing though, at the end of the second chorus, James Dean Bradfield, instead of "Kill ... Blanche and Pickles, Amin and Milosevic", as per the lyrics booklet, actually sings "Kill ... Blanche and Pickles and the Manic Street Preachers". So either a) the song's only partially serious, b) they really believe they ought to be hung for everyone's benefit or c) it's another of Richey's suicidal lyrics that crop up on the album [see also 4st 7lb and Die In The Summertime.] Decide for yourself.

In their own words: "That was the song that me and Richey worried about the most, and did the most work on. It was written as a reaction to the glorification of serial killers" (Nicky Wire)
Manicness rating: 5/5. Angry, angry young men...

Obscure quotes and references: Deep breath... As noted above, the opening quote is from the mother of one of the Yorkshire Ripper's victims. The chorus refers to Boris Yeltsin (former Soviet President), Vladimir Zhirinovsky (right-wing Russian politician), Jean-Marie Le Pen (right-wing French politician, Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, Colin Ireland, Beverly Allit, Peter Sutcliffe, Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Neilsen, Yoshinori Ueda (all serial killers), Eugene Terre'Blanche (South African extremist), James Pickles (controversial judge), Idi Amin (the last king of Scotland), Slobodan Milosevic (Serbian political leader) and the Manic Street Preachers (some obscure hipster band).

Phew!

How many times is the title repeated?: None.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Parody? Extreme right-wingers? Up for debate.

How did it do in the charts?: A song publicly advocating the killing of specific people is not getting much airplay.

Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC-9GA6RBMc

And with that, we are done! I am indebted to Youtube, Wikipedia, Google and this website for supplying info, and to everyone who's followed this thread to its conclusion (mainly Matty).

Til next time...

Post #: 103
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 1:32:21 PM   
matty_b

It's quite fitting that the number one choice is something from The Holy Bible - still the best thing they ever did.

I don't know if this would trouble my own top ten to be perfectly honest, but it is a great song nonetheless and perfectly encapsulates the Manics.

Great list, Tommy - and finally, another list completed in Audiophile!

quote:

Post #: 104
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 1:34:44 PM   
horribleives

Great choice for number one. 'if man makes death, death makes man'. Fucking chilling stuff.
Though I never understood why he said 'kill Yeltsin, who's saying?' in the chorus when surely 'kill Yeltsin, Hussain' would be more apt and that's what it sounds like anyway.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 105
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 24/8/2012 1:55:48 PM   
Angelus

Design For Life - Great, epic comeback single. It's a crime that helium-voiced prat Mark Morrison kept it off number one.

4st 7lb - Definitely not a singalong summer anthem and all the better for it.

If You Tolerate This - Possibly the best song from This Is My Truth. I like it a lot more now then when I first heard it, back in my "writing letters to Melody Maker" phase.

Australia - First heard this one at the Manics' comeback supporting the Stone Roses around Christmas '95. Despite Wembley Arena's shitty acoustics, it immediately stood out as a single. If this comes on the radio, the volume goes up.

Yes - If I had to pick a song that best represents The Holy Bible, it would be this. Weirdly catchy tune.

Archives of Pain - Great song, although not what I'd choose as my favourite. JDB's best guitar solo.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

Post #: 106
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 31/8/2012 8:30:33 PM   
matty_b

OK, just had a quick scan through all their albums and I reckon this would be my top 40 Manics tracks (album it's on in brackets) -

40) Been a Son (Lipstick Traces)
39) Take the Skinheads Bowling (Lipstick Traces)
38) Golden Platitudes (Postcards from a Young Man)
37) Freedom of Speech Won't Feed my Children (Know Your Enemy)
36) Imperial Bodybags (Send Away the Tigers)
35) Rock 'n' Roll Music (Lipstick Traces)
34) Jackie Collins Existential Question Time (Journal for Plague Lovers)
33) The Girl Who Wanted to be God (Everthing Must Go)
32) From Despair to Where (Gold Against the Soul)
31) Die in the Summertime (The Holy Bible)
30) A Billion Balconies Facing the Sun (Postcards from a Young Man)
29) Little Baby Nothing (Generation Terrorists)
28) Archives of Pain (The Holy Bible)
27) Peeled Apples (Journal for Plague Lovers)
26) Bright Eyes (Lipstick Traces - yes, it's a Watership Down cover. But it's brilliant, done at the height of their troubles with Richey and the tension comes through)
25) Prologue to History (Lipstick Traces)
24) All We Make Is Entertainment (Postcards from a Young Man)
23) The Love of Richard Nixon (Lifeblood)
22) Your Love Alone is Not Enough (Send Away the Tigers)
21) The Masses Against the Classes (National Treasures)
20) La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh) (Gold Against the Soul)
19) Australia (Everything Must Go)
18) Marlon J.D. (Journal for Plague Lovers)
17) Suicide is Painless (National Treasures)
16) Everything Must Go (Everthing Must Go)
15) You Love Us (Generation Terrorists)
14) Some Kind of Nothingness (Postcards from a Young Man)
13) Dead Martyrs (Know Your Enemy)
12) Comfort Comes (Lipstick Traces)
11) Out of Time (Lipstick Traces)
10) Judge Yr'self (Lipstick Traces)
9) Tsunami (This is my Truth, Tell me Yours)
8) If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next (This is my Truth, Tell Me Yours)
7) Motorcycle Emptiness (Generation Terrorists)
6) Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart (The Holy Bible)
5) Yes (The Holy Bible)
4) Motown Junk (National Treasures)
3) A Design For Life (Everything Must Go)
2) 4st 7lbs (The Holy Bible)
1) Faster (The Holy Bible)

quote:

Post #: 107
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 31/8/2012 11:15:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

37) Freedom of Speech Won't Feed my Children (Know Your Enemy)
21) The Masses Against the Classes (National Treasures)
6) Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart (The Holy Bible)

Love these songs

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 108
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 1/9/2012 12:34:51 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Great work Tommy. I started trying to go through each entry in the thread, but I struggled to rate them.
Suffice to say, your list is quite different to what mine would be... I don't know a few of those more recent tracks, and there are a number of songs you've omitted that I'd have chosen. But that's what it's all about, innit.

Interesting choice for no 1. A cracking track from their finest album, and probably would make my top 20, but not this high.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis
The highly right-wing views of songwriter Richey Edwards even made his bandmates a bit uncomfortable, which is maybe understandable, but it never lessens the ferocity of this extraordinary song.

From what I understand, Edwards was very far from right wing, and spoke out against fascism, anti-semitism, and in other songs on this album, there are criticisms of the nazis and warnings about possible facist revivals among other liberal views. I was under the impression Edwards was more a radical socialist.  The death penalty / sterilisation of rapists lyrics in Archives of Pain, although these are the kinds of things often associated with far right conservatism (though could also be associated with other forms of extremism), I understood to be a reference to the views of a section of society (not the band's own views) who on one hand treat these figures with endless morbid fascination and the other preach "an eye for an eye" justice. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe these were his views at the time, a product of his depression and fucked-up mental state at the time of writing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
I never understood why he said 'kill Yeltsin, who's saying?' in the chorus when surely 'kill Yeltsin, Hussain' would be more apt and that's what it sounds like anyway.

I think that is what he's saying, Hussein, especially as the rest of it is a long list of far right-wing politicians, serial killers etc. I've seen "who's saying" repeated on various websites, was it printed like that in the CD booklet?  Even if it was, I think it was erroneous.  "Hussein" makes far more sense in the context.

Aye, it says 'who's saying?' on the lyric sheet but I think they just did to be mischevious (similar to the 'manic street preachers' instead of 'milosovic bit that tommy pointed out). I also aways hear the line 'all I preach is extinction as 'allah preaches extinction' but I think that's just me

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 109
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 1/9/2012 2:49:55 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Great Top 5, excellent list

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 110
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 22/9/2012 2:42:14 PM   
horribleives

For some reason I never got round to buying the10th anniversary edition of The Holy Bible when it came out. Anyway, just bought it on a whim and I'm surprised to say that the US mix (which I was expecting to hate) is actually rather brilliant. Well, I never.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 111
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 22/9/2012 4:07:00 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, there's a couple of songs where I prefer the original version (I don't think they particularly improve Faster, for instance) but most of it is better.

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 112
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI