Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - #16 - JY

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - #16 - JY Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 16/11/2011 10:05:39 PM   
tommyjarvis

Back again. I need to speed this up.

No. 16 - Judge Yr'self

"Find your truth, face your truth, speak your truth, be your truth"

I need at least one obscurity to prove my fan credentials, so let's go with this, which is conveniently also one of the heaviest songs the group have ever recorded. Originally recorded for the Judge Dredd soundtrack, but ultimately left unreleased until the B-sides, rarities and covers compilation Lipstick Traces in 2003, this is proper loud shit, kicking into gear from the off with a crunching riff and then really moving into screaming territory with the chorus. Frankly, it's a bit of a shame this one didn't get more attention, although in fairness it's hard to see which album it would have comfortably fit on.

In their own words: "I think he (Richey) really enjoyed doing that, because he loved the fucking cartoon" (Nicky Wire)

Manicness rating: 5/5. This is hotel-room-trashing stuff.

How many times is the title repeated?: Ten.

Obscure quotes and references: Dionysus is a Greek god. Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus

How lyrically obtuse is it?: It's all jumbled up with religious sacrifice and the like, but the title gives a good hint.

How did it do in the charts?: Not only was it not deemed good enough to be a single, it wasn't on an album or even as a B-side. And yet Repeat was deemed good enough to be on an album twice. Go figure.

Get it on: Lipstick Traces (A Secret History of the Manic Street Preachers) (2003)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14pt9necao&ob=av3e

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 61
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 17/11/2011 1:09:39 PM   
matty_b

Tommy, you magnificent bastard.

Fucking awesome song.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 62
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 20/11/2011 2:16:34 PM   
rick_7

I have never heard that song before, I think I gave up paying attention in about 2002. Thanks for choosing that: absolutely brilliant and the Hurt-ish video got me a bit choked up.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 63
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 22/11/2011 6:50:15 PM   
tommyjarvis

Glad you liked it, Rick.

No. 15 - Enola/Alone

"All I want to do is live, no matter how miserable it is"

Credit where it's due: there was little moping around by the band following Richey's evident suicide, on record at least. Moving into superstar territory with Everything Must Go, the group still had things to say, but were happy to sound that bit more positive (and really, after The Holy Bible, things couldn't get much bleaker). Thus, gems like Enola/Alone came along, which are still loud, but with a great chorus, catchy tune and a kind of reassuring feel that everything will be OK, despite all the misery that's gone before. Just a joy to listen to. Plus, the palindromic title is nice.

In their own words: I can't find much on this one either.

Manicness rating: 4/5. Pop-rock and the kind of song that just puts you in a good mood.

How many times is the title repeated?: Six.

Obscure quotes and references: Enola is a reference to Enola Gay, the Hiroshima bomber (and OMD classic), I guess.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Some sort of mixture of war-related lyrics and reminiscing about Richey. I could be wrong, but it does seem a nostalgic song.

How did it do in the charts?: Another non-single. Seems to be a few of them in here.

Get it on: Everything Must Go (1996)

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgVyQRqTZu4

Post #: 64
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 22/11/2011 7:41:37 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, good song. Top 25? I'm not sure, I might have to make my own once you're done and compare.

quote:

Post #: 65
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 24/11/2011 9:06:42 PM   
tommyjarvis

It's nice to know I can always rely on Matty for a comment, at any rate.

No. 14 - Faster

Many bands struggle to come up with a really memorable lyric in their whole careers. Faster, in contrast, is full of them: "If you stand up like a nail, then you will be knocked down." "I am an architect, they call me a butcher." "So damn easy to cave in, man kills everything." "I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing." I'm not quite sure how it all coalesces into a coherent whole, but it does, and then some. And that's not even including the jarring opening riff, or the ridiculously frenetic solo, or the infamous Top of the Pops appearance in which James donned a balaclava. The likes of A Design For Life and If You Tolerate This... might have become the anthems for the masses, but this is the statement of choice for the hardcore Manics fan.

In their own words: "It's us at our most visceral best, spitting bile and we just looked good, good video, good song" (Sean Moore)

Manicness rating: 5/5. It's not called Faster for nothing, y'know.

How many times is the title repeated?: Again, not.

Obscure quotes and references: The opening quote "I hate purity. I hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt." is from 1984. The chorus line, "I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter" refers to Mensa (the braniacs society), and Henry Miller, Norman Mailer, Harold Pinter and Sylvia Plath, who are all writers.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Pretty mental. I always took it to be a sort of defiant song (i.e. they may try to bring me down but I'm better than all of them) but then it could be "faster" in the sense of "one who fasts".

How did it do in the charts?: Reached no 16 in 1994, with the markedly inferior PCP as a double A-side.

Get it on: The Holy Bible (1994)

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z75uaReMIQ

< Message edited by tommyjarvis -- 6/12/2011 10:06:22 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 24/11/2011 9:52:43 PM   
matty_b

I refuse to believe there are 13 better Manics songs than Faster.

It's absolutely amazing.

quote:

Post #: 67
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 24/11/2011 10:34:08 PM   
FritzlFan

I'm not very familiar with the Manics at all, tbh, but I really like Faster.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 68
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 24/11/2011 11:36:37 PM   
horribleives

'I am idiot drug hive, the virgin, the tattered and the torn'.
Haven't a clue what that means but I fucking love it.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 69
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 25/11/2011 7:38:18 AM   
Angelus

Judge Yr'self -  Just brilliant. Worth buying Lipstick Traces for that song alone.

Enola/Alone - It's a nice tune and everything, but I prefer most of Everything Must Go to it.

Faster - Tommy, for the rest of your list, I'm going to have to copy and paste "it's not better than Faster" 13 times. It's a fucking magnificent song. The first song the band played at my first Manics gig, and it's still a rocking great big slab of awesome whenever they play it

Here's a '94 vintage live version: click

I remember watching that when it was first broadcast. Damn, I'm old.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 70
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 25/11/2011 8:57:18 AM   
matty_b

"Sleep can't hide the thoughts splitting through my mind." is one of the best, and most poignant, lyrics Richey ever wrote.

Great live version there Angelus - interesting to see a couple of changes to the lyrics.

quote:

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 71
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 25/11/2011 10:02:50 AM   
horribleives

Was that presenter him out of Kill List?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 72
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 25/11/2011 10:13:59 AM   
Toby Monroe

This is lazy obvious and probably tiresome in its predictability, but Judge Yr'Self is a little bit Nirvana esque. Not that that is a bad thing.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 73
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 25/11/2011 12:25:28 PM   
Ariclenes

Really enjoying this list. Manics were one of the first bands I really got into and would still be one of my favourites.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 74
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 5/12/2011 11:43:16 PM   
tommyjarvis

Back!

No. 13 - Suicide Is Painless (Theme From M*A*S*H)

"A brave man once requested me to ask the questions that are key; "Is it to be or not to be?", and I replied "Oh, why ask me?""

I fucking love MASH. Does everyone else love MASH?

RIP Richey

In their own words: "I've got fond memories of this. It's got some great drums, great artwork and all for the NME. What more could you really want?" {Nicky Wire)

Manicness rating: 3/5. Fairly melodic for the most part, then really kicks into gear midway through.

How many times is the title repeated?: Five, I think. I wasn't paying attention.

Obscure quotes and references: Well, obviously, the whole thing comes from the film and TV show MASH. The lyrics were written by director Robert Altman's son, who was just 14 at the time. I think that's just showing off.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: There's a clue in the title.

How did it do in the charts?: This was the band's first ever top 10 hit, making no. 7 in 1992.

Get it on: Forever Delayed (2002)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y11f8Oc25AI

Post #: 75
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 6/12/2011 11:09:27 AM   
matty_b

I love the first three seasons of M*A*S*H - but once Henry dies and Trapper leaves, it's a long, slide downhill for eight more seasons.

Anway, great choice.

quote:

Post #: 76
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 6/12/2011 9:50:56 PM   
tommyjarvis

No. 12 - The Masses Against The Classes

"We love the winter, it brings us closer together"

How to have a Number 1 single: The Manic Street Preachers' Guide:

1. Release a song that doesn't appear on any album.
2. Ensure it's too heavy and aggressive to get much airplay.
3. Don't make a promotional video for it.
4. Delete the single on the day of release.

Piece of piss.

In their own words: "It's not such a political song, it's a song about us" (Nicky Wire)

Manicness rating: 4/5. Following the more sedate This Is My Truth..., this was more back to the heavier style of the early 90s.

How many times is the title repeated?: Three.

Obscure quotes and references: The opening quote: "The country was founded on the principle that the primary role of government is to protect property from the majority, and so it remains" is from Noam Chomsky; the closing "A slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown" is from Albert Camus.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Not too bad, basically a punk statement.

How did it do in the charts?: The first new chart-topper of the 21st century, believe it or not. Take that, Westlife! It's also, apparently, their biggest selling single, which vindicates that whole deletion policy.

Get it on: Forever Delayed (2002)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vi7kCxMBTY

Post #: 77
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 6/12/2011 10:16:16 PM   
Rinc

Interesting fact: I made a music video for Masses Against the Classes for my A-level media coursework. It involved masked robbers running from a crime with random members of the public tackling them until the final one (played by me) gets caught by the police. In the process of making the video we got thrown out of two carparks, a private road and had the police called on us down a busy high street. The police were very nice though.

Great song.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 78
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 6/12/2011 10:59:55 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

Here's a '94 vintage live version: click

I remember watching that when it was first broadcast. Damn, I'm old.

God I used to have that on video! And Tyres presented it, never knew that!

Faster is a brilliant song, I agree with many who have said it's one of their best. Saw them at Reading in 94 and they were fucking amazing - became my favourite band after that one performance. I gave up on them after TIMTTMY, but the Holy Bible remains one of my favourite albums.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 79
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Song... - 7/12/2011 11:21:10 AM   
matty_b

The Masses Against The Classes is a great tune, but lyrically it's a bit false, isn't it?

It kind of promises a blast about class warfare, but basically it's Nicky Wire going, "Yeah, we're well good, we are."

I've always found it tends to get forgotten that it got to number one, but I do feel the title makes it a bit of a missed opportunity.

quote:

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 80
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 19/12/2011 8:52:33 PM   
tommyjarvis

Narrowly missing out on the top 10:

No. 11 - Condemned To Rock And Roll

"Misery and trauma making love, best go shoot the fucking doves"

Given that the band initially intended Generation Terrorists to be the only album they'd record, it's understandable that they filled it to the brim with 18 tracks. However, a lot of them are filler and the second half of the album is a bit of a slog, especially if you're one of those obsessives who has to listen to an album all the way through each time. Stick with it, though, and you get to this maelstrom of a finale. The closest that the Manics have come to indulging in their heavy metal love, this is all frenetic soloing, crunching riffage and gratuitous swearing. A whale of a time, to be honest - if only this got played live more, it'd go down a treat in a moshpit.

In their own words: One more without much said about it.

Manicness rating: 5/5. All over the place, this.

How many times is the title repeated?: Only the once in full, surprisingly.

Obscure quotes and references: I'm sure the last line ("There's nothing I wanna see, there's nowhere I wanna go") is from somewhere, but no idea what.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: Fairly. It's generally pretty vague, just a diatribe against, well, everything.

How did it do in the charts?: Not released as a single, but then seven songs from Generation Terrorists were, so that's probably enough.

Get it on: Generation Terrorists (1992)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNBMXOybhY

Post #: 81
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 20/12/2011 12:12:46 PM   
matty_b

Hm, it's OK, but wouldn't be anywhere near my top ten.

quote:

Post #: 82
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 20/12/2011 2:07:58 PM   
sharkboy

So, now we're into the top 10 I take it that No Surface All Feeling is going to make an appearance soon?  Right?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 83
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 21/12/2011 12:33:29 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

So, now we're into the top 10 I take it that No Surface All Feeling is going to make an appearance soon?  Right?

Um... that's probably my least favourite song from that album (bar maybe Removables) so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 84
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 21/12/2011 12:53:27 AM   
sharkboy

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 85
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 21/12/2011 9:27:23 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Um... that's probably my least favourite song from that album (bar maybe Removables) so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

It's their best song!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 86
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 21/12/2011 11:04:50 PM   
tommyjarvis

I've never really liked it. I find it very Manics-by-numbers.

No. 10 - Life Becoming A Landslide

"My idea of love comes from a childhood glimpse of pornography"

It wasn't really until The Holy Bible that Richey's disturbing lyrics really came into their own. However, there were flashes of brilliance here and there in the releases before that, perhaps most notably in this song, off the band's second album. The song certainly paints some graphic pictures, launching straight into the opening line "Childbirth tears upon her muscle" and while it never gets too depraved, it's not quite the most comfortable listen. Still, musically the song is a little more optimistic, eventually moving into a string-laden chorus that may be screaming "Desire on it's knees" but somehow sounds a little hopeful and even a little affirmatory. Maybe, at this stage, Richey's tormented mind hadn't quite infected the rest of the band yet.

In their own words: "It comes from the idea that the first thing a baby does is shriek at the horror of it all" (Richey Edwards)

Manicness rating: 3/5. Low-key at first, then kicks in after the first chorus.

How many times is the title repeated?: Ten.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: It's a bit murky but there are some striking lyrics in here, amongst the more confusing stuff.

How did it do in the charts?: Not quite a single as such, but it fronted an EP which made no. 36.

Get it on: Gold Against The Soul (1993)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYzu4P2grk

Post #: 87
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 22/12/2011 8:17:04 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, one of my favourites from GATS.

quote:

Post #: 88
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 5/1/2012 6:39:48 PM   
tommyjarvis

Back for the New Year:

No. 9 - Autumnsong

"Wear your eyes as dark as night, paint your face with what you like"

Regardless of most people's feelings towards it, I have a great fondness for Send Away The Tigers largely because it was the first Manics album I actually got - up until then all I had was the best-of and a few other assorted songs. While it may not be as band-defining as The Holy Bible or Everything Must Go, it remains as one of their best albums simply because it's a straightforward collection of ten great pop songs. And none were better than Autumnsong, a joyous mixture of strings, big choruses, catchy lyrics and one of Bradfield's most uplifting solos. It's basically a song that's guaranteed to put you (well, me anyway) into a good mood.

In their own words: "Autumnsong is the women's workout song for the noughties" (James Dean Bradfield)

Manicness rating: 3/5. Poppy and upbeat without being wild.

Obscure quotes and references: I'm not sure, but the line "So wear your hair in bunches, and your jacket loose" may be a reference to Yes ("Tie his hair in bunches, fuck him...")

How many times is the title repeated?: Seven.

How lyrically obtuse is it?: I'm not really sure what it's about - probably something to do with continuing to let your hair down and enjoy yourself even though you're getting older.

How did it do in the charts?: A number 10 hit in the summer of 2007

Get it on: Send Away The Tigers (2007)

Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZXndClGJDE

Post #: 89
RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - 5/1/2012 6:57:51 PM   
matty_b

Really good song from a strong album.

quote:

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: You Love Us: The Top 25 Manic Street Preachers Songs - #16 - JY Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI