Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:06:48 PM   
Rhubarb

Hi is that a bandwagon I see? *JUMPS*

Hello and welcome to a thread about Scott Walker. I have handpicked the thirty songs of his that I like best. Some are cover versions, some are his own. Some are creepy, some are beautiful. All of them are brilliant, I assure you.

I hope that you will enjoy.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 1
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:08:24 PM   
Rhubarb

30 I Threw It All Away (Dylan)

When it came to putting together the soundtrack to To Have and To Hold, Nick Cave realised he wanted a couple of things – a drunken cover of My Way, and a crooned cover of the Bob Dylan song, I Threw It All Away. So he got hold of Scott Walker (I don’t know how you do this, obviously, but I suppose things are easier if you’re Nick Cave) and offered him the choice. Feeling that he could do My Way in his sleep, and perhaps anxious that he had managed to get away from crooning really obvious hits anyway, Walker picked the Dylan song, and it became the highlight of the record.
An unfairly overlooked gem even within Bob’s sainted back catalogue, I Threw It All Away is a wonderful, quiet mournful song, and Walker’s ghostly vocals bridge the gap between his perfect croon and his slightly scary late era wail rather perfectly. Walker apparently isn’t a particular fan of Bob either, but he certainly does him justice here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ken3dfr3FiU

Find it on: The To Have And To Hold Soundtrack, or the faintly incoherent Five Easy PIeces boxset.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:09:07 PM   
rawlinson

Yes!!!

If a donkey isn't punched at some point I'll be disappointed.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:10:43 PM   
Rhubarb

I was a bit dissapointed in the Guard when they didn't punch any donkeys in Galway, I must say.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:15:50 PM   
Piles

HOORAH FOR RHUBARB.

Spoilers

#1. Amsterdam (Brel)

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:16:27 PM   
Rhubarb

I don't think its even his best Brel cover.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 6
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 5/10/2011 11:35:11 PM   
Rhubarb

29 Track 3 (Walker)

After the success of his first 3 solo albums, Walker went on to make Scott 4, which is his best album, but failed to chart (will go into theories as to why in other entries) this forced his hand back to doing more cover versions and gradually going through a period of lost MOR stuff which is fairly impossible to find (due to Walker blocking anyone trying to re-release it). After these Wilderness years, his reformed The Walker Brothers, and finally made the album he wanted to make with them, with Nite Flights, an album that Brian Eno (who knows his shit) thinks was so far ahead of its time, and that its disgraceful noone has caught up. Anyway, Nite Fights was an experimental beast, and it suggested the direction that Walker was going to head in when he re-emerged.
Climate of Hunter would turn out to be his only album in the 1980s, and it is absolutely brilliant and set the tone for the latter part of his career. The lead single from this album was Track Three, which appropriately, was track three.
A super claustrophobic atmosphere resides over the whole track, but unlike some his later work, it retains some tropes from pop music, there is even a guitar solo at one point. Walker’s vocals are kind of shocking if you are expecting the deep pool of beauty from his Walker Brothers period, its distorted and a bit scary. There is some absolute beauty in it though of course, but a different kind, and something to get used to toward his later work.

There is an absolutely amazingly awkward interview where Walker turned up on 80s cult pop show The Tube, where neither interviewer or interview are really comfortable with the situation, you can watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3e8vpoj0lDs#t=169s and the full proper video is on the end.

Find it on: Climate of Hunter, or the Track Three single if you want to scour ebay.

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 7/10/2011 12:15:49 AM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 10:11:17 AM   
Olaf

Does his stuff with the Walker Brothers qualify for this thread? Presuming that The Electrician will be high up if so. (though I suppose it nearly qualifies as solo Scott? I don't know really.)

Good entries so far. Haven't heard the first one until now (it's one Cave/Harvey/Bargeld soundtrack I haven't been able to track down), but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my Climate of Hunter love to you before. Track Three is probably my favourite on it, either that or Rawhide/Track 5/Track 6.

(looking forward to seeing what else comes up anyway. either way it's inspired me to listen to Scott 3 on my walk to college today, so fanks for that.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 8
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 10:28:04 AM   
matty_b

My Walker brother of choice -

Srsly though, I don't know much Scott Walker so I'll be reading this thread with interest.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 9
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 10:54:53 AM   
MovieAddict247

I don't know much Walker, but Farmer in the City better be in the top 10.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 2:07:35 PM   
fuzzy

Missus fuzzy got weirdly obsessed with Walker's more recent output when his track 'Cossacks Are' was featured on one of those Adam Buxton web thingys last year. Then strangely, I happenned upon a documentary about the recording of his 2006 album 'The Drift'; I think it was on More4 - not entirely sure though. He's mad as a badger's ankle IMO, but the documentary was entertaining. There was footage of the recording of one track (not sure if it was Clara) where he had a percussionist to punch a slab of meat - then complained that he wasn't doing it right.  TV gold for me.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 2:21:17 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Does his stuff with the Walker Brothers qualify for this thread? Presuming that The Electrician will be high up if so. (though I suppose it nearly qualifies as solo Scott? I don't know really.)

Good entries so far. Haven't heard the first one until now (it's one Cave/Harvey/Bargeld soundtrack I haven't been able to track down), but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my Climate of Hunter love to you before. Track Three is probably my favourite on it, either that or Rawhide/Track 5/Track 6.

(looking forward to seeing what else comes up anyway. either way it's inspired me to listen to Scott 3 on my walk to college today, so fanks for that.)

Yeah I'm going to include some Walker Brothers stuff. Pretty much anything he's ever put his voice to was eligible for this list basically. And yeah Scott 3 is amazing, thats a good walk with that on.

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

My Walker brother of choice -

Srsly though, I don't know much Scott Walker so I'll be reading this thread with interest.

That's good but its not right.

Obv, Saint Scott was a bit influence on Jarv, so there's that if nothing else.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I don't know much Walker, but Farmer in the City better be in the top 10.

Oooh wait and see.

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Missus fuzzy got weirdly obsessed with Walker's more recent output when his track 'Cossacks Are' was featured on one of those Adam Buxton web thingys last year. Then strangely, I happenned upon a documentary about the recording of his 2006 album 'The Drift'; I think it was on More4 - not entirely sure though. He's mad as a badger's ankle IMO, but the documentary was entertaining. There was footage of the recording of one track (not sure if it was Clara) where he had a percussionist to punch a slab of meat - then complained that he wasn't doing it right.  TV gold for me.

Yeah that'd be the docu 30 Century Man, which is rather brilliant. And yeah, there is meat punching as percussion from that album. Stuff from that will turn up on this list. And from the other periods, I'll probably alienate everyone by liking it all by the end.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 2:51:20 PM   
rawlinson

Is there going to be anything from the second side of Till the Band Comes in? Because the crossover potential with Matty's thread is too good to miss.

Excellent choices so far, btw.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 13
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 2:54:50 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Is there going to be anything from the second side of Till the Band Comes in? Because the crossover potential with Matty's thread is too good to miss.

quote:

Obv, Saint Scott was a bit influence on Jarv, so there's that if nothing else.

It will be a glorious day if that happens.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 8:46:15 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I love Walker's voice. I'm more familiar with his Brel covers and Walker Brothers stuff than anything else though, so look forward to see what else crops up. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 15
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 8:56:04 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Yeah. I think its actually a bit of an underrated record, although Jarv is right in the sense that the second side is weaker and did suggest where Walker was going next (i.e the wilderness)

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 16
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 8:56:44 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

I love Walker's voice. I'm more familiar with his Brel covers and Walker Brothers stuff than anything else though, so look forward to see what else crops up. 

I'm fairly sure when God sings in the shower, Scott's voice comes out.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 17
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 10:55:02 PM   
rawlinson

Your interview link is the same as the first video. 

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 18
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 6/10/2011 10:56:30 PM   
FritzlFan

Scott Walker is well good. Altho, shamefully, there are a couple of albums I've not heard yet.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 19
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 12:16:14 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

Your interview link is the same as the first video. 

INTERESTING THAT NOONE ELSE NOTICED/CLICKED ON THE LINK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3e8vpoj0lDs#t=169s

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 20
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 10:30:57 PM   
Rhubarb

28 On Your Own Again (Engel)

Track 2 on his masterpiece, Scott 4 is at first sight a slight number – clocking in at comfortably under two minutes long – but its an infectious beast which sets the mood for an album that when you finish you’ll want to go back to the start again.
It does just fly past, but it’s the kind of song you keep returning to. In just two minutes, Walker manages to establish a beautiful relationship, its falling apart, his being nostalgic for the good times, the girl being better off on her own, but that being a lie, and then a final reconsilation, but with a wry side glance, the reconsilation makes Walker so happy that “I didn’t feel like me”, not only a nod to his own gloomy reputation, of course, but a twist in the final story, maybe its him who is better off on his own afterall.

Find it on: Scott 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8-3wbCFi4

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 7/10/2011 10:31:27 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 21
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 10:46:13 PM   
Rhubarb

27 Montague Terrace (In Blue) (Engel)

After chosing to open his début solo album with a cover of Jacques Brel’s Mathilde (more on him in a bit), Monatague Terrace is significant in that it is arguably the first really significant song penned by Walker himself (though credited to his birth name of Noel Scott Engel, like most of his work from this period) it is also arguably the best of the self penned songs from his first solo album. The scene set as a couple dreaming of a slightly better time than the dank cold day they find themselves on, in a place they don’t want to be in, but they know (don’t they?) and they’ll dream (won’t they) of the titular place. You can feel Brel’s influence in the lyrics, as the narrator scans the streets in a Rear Window style appraisal of the street he finds himself on, cheekily noting of one “her thighs are full of tales to tell”.
But the real star of the show is Wally Stott, who did the arrangements for this record, as well as the next couple. Real name Angela Morley, she had previously worked with the likes of Shirley Bassey, and it is her perfect arrangements that would come to define Walker’s early solo work, and when people like The Last Shadow Puppets try and “do” Scott Walker, it is Stott that they are imitating.

Find it on: Scott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOTAJQF0Fo

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 22
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 11:17:15 PM   
Rhubarb

26 Cossacks Are (Walker)

One thing that is often looked over when it comes to Scott Walker is his sense of humour. Back in the 60s he was always described the music press as gloomy, moody, dark Scott Walker. Even his Brel covers are usually nodded at reverently, when the records themselves are hysterical. His trio of albums from the last three decades, well they’ve hardly given the impression of a man who has a good sense of humour about himself.
And yet here we are, on The Drift, an album of nightmareish darkness, and yet on the opening track, in the eerie, frightening Cossacks Are, Walker’s ghostly vocals can be heard to say “you could easily picture this, in the current top ten”.
That isn’t to say, despite the jabs of humour, that Cossacks Are is a lighthearted romp. It’s a complex beast, and what is interesting about it is people’s interpretations. Its all short soundbites of scariness, and depending on which review you read, Walker is talking about a) global dictators, b) his own legacy, c) his critics d) something else entirely. It is not exactly Montague Terrace, but it does in a similar way paint a unsettling picture. Quite what the picture is supposed to be, I’m not entirely sure.

Find it on The Drift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpBxXEPQow

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 23
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 11:31:30 PM   
rawlinson

Excellent choices, I wish Montague Terrace had been a bit higher, but glad it's in there. I'm hoping someone completely new to Walker is clicking on all the Youtube links and then having the jump from Montague to Cossacks startle the shit out of them.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 24
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 11:35:16 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeah, its a varied list, of nothing else.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 11:41:46 PM   
rawlinson

I'm hoping there's more from The Drift to come, Tilt too. I'm with MovieAddict in hoping Farmer in the City is in the top 10. If not you'll face the same empty threats I've made to Matty over I Spy.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 26
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 7/10/2011 11:50:31 PM   
Rhubarb

There are some to come from both of those albums. And some of the songs from both of those albums are placed pretty high up.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 8/10/2011 4:19:09 PM   
matty_b

Love the drums on that one.

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 28
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 8/10/2011 8:49:00 PM   
MovieAddict247

Cossacks Are is amazing.

Thanks for doing this list - it's very well timed (I'm getting into Walker at the moment, and it's great to have some suggestions). I mainly know stuff by The Walker Brothers, but I think his solo stuff really shows how amazing his voice is.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29
RE: The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever - 10/10/2011 12:47:34 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Where would the denizens of Empire suggest a newbie to Scott Walker starts then?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Top 30 Best Scott Walker Songs Ever Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI