Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 6:36:42 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realise what they're listening to. They don't realise that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the fucking devil right in the eyes, and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh. And it's real, and true. The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that too long, I'd crack.

I can't believe we have fans that can deal emotionally with that song. That's why I'm convinced that they don't know what it's about. It's why we play it towards the end of our sets. It drains me, and it shakes me, and hurts like hell every time I play it, looking out at thousands of people cheering and smiling, oblivious to the tragedy of its meaning, like when you're going to have your dog put down and it's wagging its tail on the way there. That's what they all look like, and it breaks my heart. I wish that song hadn't picked us as its catalysts, and so I don't claim it. It asks too much. I didn't write that song

Jesus, Thom, get over yourself.

This is the bit that comes before that...

'Street Spirit' is our purest song, but I didn't write it. It wrote itself. We were just its messengers; its biological catalysts. Its core is a complete mystery to me, and, you know, I wouldn't ever try to write something that hopeless. All of our saddest songs have somewhere in them at least a glimmer of resolve. 'Street Spirit' has no resolve. It is the dark tunnel without the light at the end. It represents all tragic emotion that is so hurtful that the sound of that melody is its only definition. We all have a way of dealing with that song. It's called detachment. Especially me; I detach my emotional radar from that song, or I couldn't play it. I'd crack. I'd break down on stage. That's why its lyrics are just a bunch of mini-stories or visual images as opposed to a cohesive explanation of its meaning. I used images set to the music that I thought would convey the emotional entirety of the lyric and music working together. That's what's meant by 'all these things you'll one day swallow whole'. I meant the emotional entirety, because I didn't have it in me to articulate the emotion. I'd crack...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 31
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 8:02:07 PM   
paul_ie86

Who or what is a radiohead?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 32
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 12:21:14 AM   
Olaf

It's not quite a mop and not quite a puppet, but... to answer your question, I don't know.

regarding the discussion so far, I can see where people are coming from RE Thom being a bit of an arse but I don't really agree - he always seems to strike me as someone who's pretty brutally honest about his music/status to the point of being perhaps rather blunt, and I kind of appreciate that tbh (the classic 'it wrote itself' line is nonsense though. I'm fairly sure he's distanced himself a bit from those comments though, he doesn't really have much problem performing it live as he did when he said that). Still, I'm not sure how much fun he'd be on a night out. Ed O'Brien on the other band seems like a thoroughly nice chap. He has the sort of beard I consider inherently trustworthy.

also, Fake Plastic Trees is obv amazing and will be in my list. However (spoilers!) there is no Creep.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 33
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 1:36:20 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

However (spoilers!) there is no Creep.

At all.

We were thinking about shocking everyone and putting Anyone Can Play Guitar at number one on both our lists but we figured we didn't want to cause anyone serious health issues.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 34
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 2:37:12 AM   
Olaf

I'm actually rather fond of Anyone Can Play Guitar (I'm told it's not a good idea to admit that in public). Except for that awful bit where he puts on the funny voice and mentions Jim Morrison. It didn't make my list though, but presumably there'll be plenty more questionable choices in my list anyway. hopefully I can write at least semi-convincingly about them.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 35
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 2:44:42 AM   
Olaf

1993 // from the album 'Pablo Honey'

First up: a chance to confront the elephant in the room, sporting a dodgy peroxide do and a rather unconvincing American accent - yes, it's 'Pablo Honey', the band's debut and Everyone's Least Favourite Radiohead Album(TM). I'm not going to attempt a stirring defence of the record here, largely because its status is not unwarranted; for the most part the songs go no further than a half-hearted attempt to ride the grunge wave (Exhibit A: the truly lamentable likes of 'Vegetable' and 'How Do You?'). The mammoth success of 'Creep' is arguably the only reason this thread exists in the first place, and even then it's difficult to see its lasting appeal beyond semi-ironic karaoke nights. So how to reconcile a debut with the sort of bandwagon-hopping loud/quiet/loud dynamics you could carbon-date to the week it was released, to the infinitely more complex emotional landscapes of 'The Bends', let alone the increasingly abstract terrain that the group would explore with the releases that followed?

Luckily the truth is slightly less straightforward than the accepted narrative, but ultimately more rewarding: yes, 'Pablo Honey' packs more than its fair share of dreck over its forty minute running time, but lurking beneath its risible pre-Donwood sleeve, scattered occasionally amongst the sub-Nirvana/stadium era Cure debris, are signposts pointing to the directions Radiohead would soon take with their second album. (Full disclosure: I also have a considerable soft spot for 'Anyone Can Play Guitar', but I realise that doesn't really aid the point I'm trying to make here.) Four songs stand out particularly - opener 'You' will be appearing later in this list, so I won't talk about it too much; single 'Stop Whispering' and the surprisingly affecting Smiths-ian shuffle of 'Lurgee' are the kind of vulnerable-sounding numbers that the band would soon refine with the likes of 'Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was' and '(Nice Dream)'; and 'Blow Out'. 'Blow Out' is 'Just' Mk. I. It is 'Paranoid Android' Mk. I. It is 'The National Anthem' Mk. I (okay, that may be pushing it bit. You see where I'm coming from though). It marks the beginning of Radiohead's career-long fascination with controlled chaos, building from the single muted guitar line of the intro to the increasingly unhinged, Sonic Youth-evoking sheets of spooled-out noise that bring it to a close. The lyrics continue with this theme, with references to cracking out and breaking up, until dropping out entirely and letting the layers of guitars do the talking for the outro. 'Blow Out' is the first song from the band to really exploit the opportunities of having three guitarists - later on, this would mainly just be useful for when Jonny mans the Ondes Martenot or Thom spends a track dancing like your dad at a wedding on ecstacy, but here all three guitarists go for it at full speed. And the results are pretty spectacular.

Radiohead would write better multi-guitar freakouts than 'Blow Out' as the years went on, certainly, but it deserves its place in the band's history. Even at this early stage, the essential fragments of Radiohead's DNA - a willingness to explore increasingly challenging sonic territory, an uncanny ability to successfully place more out-there musical forms into a stadium-friendly context without the artistic compromise, a hefty dose of alienation (naturally) - they're all there. Not bad for a bunch of bandwagon jumpers with dodgy peroxide dye jobs, eh?

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5JWH3dXYis
A nifty live version from 'Live At The Astoria', featuring a number of tracks from 'The Bends' in earlier forms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeM9knMIgA

< Message edited by Olaf -- 2/10/2011 3:01:31 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 36
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 10:04:09 AM   
Angelus

Creep is the same as Smells Like Teen Spirit for me: I do like the song, but I've heard it so many times over the years that I seldom want to listen to it anymore. If I did my own Radiohead list, it would probably get in for nostalgic reasons as the tune that made me aware of the band in the first place.

Good choice for Blow Out, it's my favourite song from Pablo Honey. That live version is great.

Also, found this live photo the other day while I was reading some old Melody Maker stuff. Smile, Thom!

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 37
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 10:59:29 AM   
Pigeon Army

1995 // from the extended play 'High and Dry/Planet Telex'

Unlike Olaf, whose #41 is a song he feels passionate about and he feels has an indelible place in the Radiohead canon, I'm not going to be writing something lengthy and committed about my #41. This is mainly because I'm not as much passionate about Killer Cars as I am entertained by it, a twisted take on the love song that couches its semi-romantic dependence on another in a hysterical PSA about the dangers of improperly-serviced motor vehicles and the people with behavioural problems that may or may not drive them.

Aesthetically, Killer Cars is a catchy Radiohead track rooted in the sounds of The Bends a heavy guitar-driven rhythm, a simple and infectious chorus with Thom wailing in the background, a grinding, whining solo from Jonny to finish off proceedings. Lyrically, it's equal parts hilarious and sad, Thom opening with, and frequently returning to, a series of extreme hypothetical fates that could befall him if he so much as took his Mazda out of the garage. These paranoid attempts at avoiding hitting the motorway lead into a poignant moment at the top of the second verse with Thom lamenting that he "couldn't cope if you crashed today/All the things I forgot to say, a simple couplet that throws his anti-automobile propaganda into an entirely new light. It's actually kind of touching and bolsters what is already a highly enjoyable song.

Listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BUSnGF0mLo

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/10/2011 11:02:45 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 38
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 11:23:08 AM   
big dawg

If neither of you have Electioneering on your list then you are both fools of the highest order*

*I dont really mean that

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 39
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 1:37:16 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realise what they're listening to. They don't realise that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the fucking devil right in the eyes, and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh. And it's real, and true. The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that too long, I'd crack.

I can't believe we have fans that can deal emotionally with that song. That's why I'm convinced that they don't know what it's about. It's why we play it towards the end of our sets. It drains me, and it shakes me, and hurts like hell every time I play it, looking out at thousands of people cheering and smiling, oblivious to the tragedy of its meaning, like when you're going to have your dog put down and it's wagging its tail on the way there. That's what they all look like, and it breaks my heart. I wish that song hadn't picked us as its catalysts, and so I don't claim it. It asks too much. I didn't write that song

Jesus, Thom, get over yourself.

To be fair he did say that years ago as a silly young man. I'd hazard a guess that the 40-something Thom York of today would probabaly have a bit of a cringe at comments like that.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 40
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 1:38:56 PM   
Rhubarb

I would hope so

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 41
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 2/10/2011 6:21:11 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Machine Head>Motorhead>Radiohead

Only alphabetically.

Great reviews, although I do like that Olaf wrote an epic and PA just went "I don't really love this one..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 42
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 3/10/2011 2:57:06 PM   
Olaf

Epic = rambling my reviews probably won't all be that long to be honest (hopefully anyway, I kind of have to do a dissertation as a side project to this). Pablo Honey just inspires long-winded prose and passionate discussion I guess (just wait for my Pop Is Dead entry).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

Creep is the same as Smells Like Teen Spirit for me: I do like the song, but I've heard it so many times over the years that I seldom want to listen to it anymore.

I'd probably agree with this, yeah. It's not bad really (the main reason it's not here is the amount of RH songs I love more than it rather than a particular dislike), but it is ridiculously overplayed.

quote:

I love this picture.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 43
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 3/10/2011 4:59:22 PM   
Olaf

1997 // from the single 'Karma Police'

The 1990s had many things going against it Tony Blair, Everybody Loves Raymond, 'Vegetable' by Radiohead but it wasn't all bad. One unique creation of the 90s, and something that has pretty much been made extinct by iTunes' inexorable march towards total dominance, is the concept of the 'great b-sides band'. While flipsides to singles have been around almost as long as pop music itself, the medium reached its peak in the last decade of the 20th century - aided by opportunistic record label bosses' enthusiasm for releasing multiple copies of the same single, these groups were often able to carve out a unique identity for themselves through their Bs. There was the self-mythologising songsmith with tunes coming out his ears (Oasis and the likes of 'The Masterplan' and 'Half The World Away' most notably); the pop Cockneys steering their ship into considerably more challenging musical waters (Blur's 'No Monsters In Me' and 'Bustin' + Dronin'' appeared on two of the band's most commercially friendly singles); or just simply that band who wrote a stupid amount of great songs in a short period (Suede had to release a two disc collection of b-sides from their first three albums, and it still didn't cover them all).

Radiohead's approach to the b-side bears similarities to all of these bands, but doesn't fully fit into any of the categories mentioned above. Instead, Radiohead's b-sides can be best described not as outtakes from their parent albums, but perhaps closer to deleted scenes songs that flesh out the conceptual framework of the album a bit more and offer complementary takes on recurring themes. For example, I wouldn't change a single note of 'OK Computer', but its associated b-sides (most of which are collected on the essential 'Airbag/How Am I Driving?' EP) make for a perfect companion piece.

Which brings us on to 'Lull', one of the flipsides to the 'Karma Police' single and a track that wouldn't sound too out of place on the album itself. As the title suggests, it's not a big guitar driven number: It feels like a snapshot rather than fully developed piece, a delicate little tune driven by an understated reverb-heavy guitar line courtesy of Ed and a xylophone melody courtesy of Jonny (one day I will find an instrument he cannot play). This miniature scale is key to the song's success, as it doesn't outstay its welcome Thom's lyrics continue in this vein, seemingly focusing on a fairly minor event that still provokes a fairly considerable amount of guilt (his yearning vocals when he sings 'I'm sorry that I lost control' is probably the highlight of the song). It could nearly be a sequel to 'Blow Out' in the way it deals with similar themes, but it's a testament to Yorke's songwriting that it manages to avoid being a rehash; here, combined with the toy box melody, the protagonist seems older, sedated, tranquillised. Fitter, happier, more productive...

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRB8N9kX5es

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 44
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 3/10/2011 5:47:25 PM   
Piles

Why is this not called Radiothread?

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 45
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 3/10/2011 5:47:52 PM   
Piles

Oh wait it totally is.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 4/10/2011 11:41:33 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

If neither of you have Electioneering on your list then you are both fools of the highest order*

*I dont really mean that

I remember reading an anecdote about this song around the time of the release of OK Computer.  Apparently it was one of the first new songs recorded after The Bends and when some of their US label bosses inquired as to whether the follow-up to that epic would be in a similar rocky guitar vein, the band played them this to placate them, then went away and recorded the rest of the tracks on the album, safe in the knowledge that the yanks had been fooled into expecting The Bends II, so they had more scope to experiment.

Anyway, nice to see some respect for the B-sides.  I hope you'll also consider some of the remixes in your list;   Planet Telex (Hexadecimal mix), Climbing Up The Walls (Fila Brasilia Mix) and Sctterbrain (Four Tet RMX) are all worthy of inclusion IMO

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 47
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 4/10/2011 1:36:10 PM   
Pigeon Army

2007 // from the album 'In Rainbows' (bonus disc) // yes I know it's called Last Flowers fuck you

Its easy to call Radiohead one of the most experimental rock bands working in the mainstream today truth has a funny way of being like that. However, I dont think Im out of step saying that the aggressive evolution of the OK Computer-Kid A-Amnesiac period has long since been replaced by a slower, steadier development of the Radiohead sound, whatever that means the difference between The Bends and Kid A is far more mindboggling than the difference between Hail to the Thief and The King of Limbs, even with Limbs dubstep and glitch influences. Theyve gotten to the point where they can bust out a time-worn piano ballad and people arent going to go whats this, theyre meant to make art rock, get off my stage. Which is kind of what makes Last Flowers so refreshing its stripped back, its simple, relying on one guitar, one piano and Thoms quavering, cracking voice.

Last Flowers is haunting, bordering on ethereal hell, even its name drips with notions of fading memories and the end of times. Thom, his voice teetering on the edge of his range, sings of a growing feeling of becoming redundant in the modern world, alienated by the people and the technology around him, reiterating those same concerns that filled colder, more robotic tracks like Fitter Happier and Packt Like Sardines. Accompanied by a lone piano for most of the song, Thoms plea for basic human connection is heartwrenching and a little bit depressing, if only because of the hint that we may all end up making the same futile call for help, that all well have at the end is a piano and the recollections of a life past slipping in and out of our mind.

Listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYemY8CQaw
Watch it performed Live from the Basement here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAToWYyERAw&feature=related

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 48
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 4/10/2011 1:48:18 PM   
sharkboy

Another good choice.  Reckon I'm gonna like this thread...

I know I mentioned remixes in my last post, but they've also done some spiffing cover versions too, my faves being The Spy Who Loved Me and Sing A Song of You.  In fact, I found this link while searching for links to the above:

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/radiohead-cover-versions-free-download-ace

Now, I'm in work at the moment and can't tell if the link is still live, but the comments seem to suggest it's legit and contains some interesting takes on familiar songs.

And talking about interesting takes on familiar songs, I can't recommend this album highly enough:

They're also an incredible live act so if you see them playing in your town and are into reggae, go check them out!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 4/10/2011 1:57:45 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 49
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 4/10/2011 2:30:05 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Anyway, nice to see some respect for the B-sides.  I hope you'll also consider some of the remixes in your list;   Planet Telex (Hexadecimal mix), Climbing Up The Walls (Fila Brasilia Mix) and Sctterbrain (Four Tet RMX) are all worthy of inclusion IMO

I decided to stick to tracks that were just Radiohead for my list (god knows there were far too many tracks to cut out before counting remixes ) but I absolutely love the Four Tet/Skttrbrain remix, much more than the original track actually. His remixes of Separator and Atoms For Peace are pretty marvellous as well actually.

Speaking of which, have you been following the TKOL remix series? Quality's variable which is understandable considering how many of them have been released, but some really fantastic stuff.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 50
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 8:30:52 PM   
Olaf

ca. 1997/98 // unreleased

One of the most impressive/occasionally infuriating things about Radiohead's body of work is how some of their finest songs have never even seen release on an album or single - ask any RH fan about 'Big Boots' or 'Follow Me Around', for example, and expect a lengthy rant extolling the virtues of these lost could-have-been-classics and how they would have been highlights of any of their albums etc etc. And when one of these unreleased tracks gets the album track treatment, it's usually a big deal (except maybe when 'Good Morning Mr. Magpie' appeared on 'The King of Limbs', but then nobody really cared about that song anyway).

The daddy of unreleased Radiohead songs for many fans was, of course, 'Big Ideas (Don't Get Any)', originally written for the 'OK Computer' sessions - more proof that the band could pretty much knock out a classic tune in their sleep around that period - and occasionally appearing on live setlists before finally being released as 'Nude', ten years later on 'In Rainbows'. Now, I have a lot of love for the version that appeared on that album - the stripped down arrangement and dubby bassline really allow Thom's falsetto vocals to shine, particularly - but for me, the 1998 'Big Ideas' is just about the definitive version. The most obvious difference is the prominent Hammond organ, carrying the melody where the 2007 'Nude' features a much more understated guitar line and backwards looped strings. While the latter arrangement is more ambitious, the simpler take - accented with glockenspiel and electric piano (both played by Jonny. Yes, both.) - brings into focus what is one of Thom Yorke's finest, simplest melodies.

Similarly, the language of the lyrics is completely unadorned and all the more heartbreakingly effective for it: 'don't get any big ideas / they're not gonna happen... there'll be something missing.' And yet, the meaning of the words is also just ambiguous enough to keep things interesting; the couplet 'She kisses you with tongues and pulls you to bed / don't go, you'll only want to come back again', absent from the final album version, is one of the most poignant moments of the song without being obvious or prosaic. Finally, any review wouldn't be complete without a mention for Ed O'Brien's star turn on lead guitar right at the end of the song anthemic and cathartic, it provides the payoff for the mounting emotions running through the whole song, and it's stunning.

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4ItJINzQs
A clip from Meeting People Is Easy featuring 'Big Ideas'. There's dialogue over most of it, but Ed's solo sounds much better in this version. Plus, the (possibly not entirely serious) revelation that it was originally titled 'Your Home Is At Risk If You Do Not Keep Up Repayments': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-Fyt1F0O4

< Message edited by Olaf -- 5/10/2011 8:38:05 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 51
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 8:36:40 PM   
rawlinson

Loving this thread so far. I'm hoping more threads start like this and Matty's Pulp list.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 52
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 8:53:32 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeah I was considering doing one, but its following it through once I start

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 53
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 8:57:30 PM   
rawlinson

Who were you going to do? The Blur one you mentioned here?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 54
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 9:49:51 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Twas a jest, though. I'm aware of the brickbats thrown at Muse for being some kind of Radiohead light.

Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are really good albums. But like most bands that achieve mainstream success, they felt the need to dilute their music to keep that success going.

This is why I endlessly enjoy the Foo Fighters. You know exactly what you're going to get with each album. Karma Police is the best song ever though.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 55
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 9:55:30 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Who were you going to do? The Blur one you mentioned here?

I thought about Blur, Scott Walker, The Beatles. There's quite a few bands I could do it for.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 10:05:31 PM   
rawlinson

I vote for Walker.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 57
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 10:09:36 PM   
tommyjarvis

I thought about doing one for Oasis or Metallica or Guns N' Roses, but I doubt it would get much attention around here.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 10:12:22 PM   
matty_b

I disagree, Tommy. I think it would get lots. Your 101 top rock songs was pretty popular, I seem to recall.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 59
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 5/10/2011 10:21:30 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, people would definitely read. 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI