Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread abou... - 1/10/2011 5:27:08 AM   
Pigeon Army

IT SOUNDS VERY

In 1985, five young lads in Abingdon, Oxfordshire formed a band called On a Friday. They wrote songs with lyrics like "somewhere in Palestine a crazy young man wants to rule the world so he buys himself an atom bomb and he drops it on your head" and "Dance sucka dance sucka dance sucka dance."

LOGICAL BUT

Some sad fuck named Chris saw them in a pub and thought they had talent. In hindsight he was a genius but his business partner must've been wondering what the fuck Hufford was on when he decided to manage these guys.

IT SOUNDS VERY LOGICAL

Then one of the band members, a dude named Colin, accidentally met an EMI rep at the record shop where he worked. The band signed a six-record deal and changed their names.

BUT

They released an album in 1993 with a baby face surrounded by petals on the cover. One of the songs from that album got pretty big among the alt yoof in America and Israel, probably because it was called Creep and spoke to their condition with lyrics like "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, what the hell am I doing here, I don't belong here." The album also had a song called Anyone Can Play Guitar, which is a lie.

THAT IS NOT

They released another album in 1995. It did pretty good.

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Then they recorded another album. A young chap named Nigel was brought on to do producing. They released it in 1997.

IS NOT

The band got really popular. Really popular. People were calling them geniuses, saying that they'd made the definitive album of their generation, that they would forever be considered musical greats. Unless they fucked up next time.

WHAT IS HAPPENING

Next time was three years later, when they released two albums - one had a lot of melodic ambient stuff and one had a lot of glitchy mood tracks. Recording it had been rough because one of the band members, Thom, was really depressed and their newfound fame was putting a lot of pressure on them. The people were a bit less unanimous this time - some people even longed for the rock of the old band.

LOVE?

Those people were fucking wrong.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the definitive Radiohead thread. Radiothread. One groundbreaking band, two pretty good lists, forty-one songs in each. Fitter, happier, more productive.

GATHER UP THE PITIFUL
DONT BLOW YOUR MIND WITH WHY
SO WHY DOES THIS NOT ADD UP
OPEN YOUR MOUTH WIDE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.
Post #: 1
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 9:38:43 AM   
Pigeon Army

olaf
41. blow out
// 1993 // pablo honey
40. lull // 1997 // karma police
39. big ideas // 1997/98 // unreleased
38. how i made my millions // 1998 // no surprises
37. packt like sardines in a crushd tin box // 2001 // amnesiac
36. you // 1993 // pablo honey

pigeon army
41. killer cars
// 1995 // high and dry/planet telex
40. last flowers // 2007 // in rainbows (bonus disc)
39. like spinning plates // 2001 // amnesiac
38. exit music (for a film) // 1997 // ok computer
37. nude // 2007 // in rainbows
36. how to disappear completely (and never be found again) // 2000 // kid a

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 25/12/2011 11:49:27 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 2
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 9:58:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Do I know any Radiohead songs? Probably not.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 3
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 10:42:55 AM   
elab49

I quite like Muse. Are they as good as Muse? 

You'll have heard them in films Gimli. I went to 2 films at the Glasgow Film Festival in a row that had them on the soundtrack.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:02:15 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I don't think I can define the face I just made at reading that post.

Also, HEY OLAF, When you've done this Radiohead one, do you want to do a Blur + Spin off projects one? Get back to me blud.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:12:59 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

When I first heard Muse's Muscle Museum, I thought it was Radiohead.

What a duh brain lol.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/10/2011 12:15:43 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:21:29 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

When I first heard Muse's Muscle Museum, I thought it was Radiohead.

Did you think "Man, Radiohead really have gone off the boil"

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:23:09 PM   
MonsterCat

Why are you mercing on Muse, blud?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 8
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:27:01 PM   
Rhubarb

I don't like them.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:43:32 PM   
Pigeon Army

I like Muse. But they are no Radiohead and I reckon that Bellamy fellow wishes they were, what with his songs inspired by conspiracy theories and his 'reinventing the sound of Muse'.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:44:28 PM   
elab49

Twas a jest, though. I'm aware of the brickbats thrown at Muse for being some kind of Radiohead light.

That said, I prefer them. There are only a couple of Radiohead songs I really like, and they're the pretty obvious ones. Although I did once make a joke that referred to the original paranoid android when giving a teaching session to a group of probably 22-23yo that fell flat because they'd never heard of Hitchhikers. I was very sad.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 11
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:45:45 PM   
Rhubarb

I do like Radiohead however, and I am looking forward to this thread being about them. It took me awhile to get into them and sometimes Thom Yorke seems to do his best to discourage people from liking the group (see his explanation of Street Spirit for a random example) but they have a whole bunch of corking songs and albums.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 12
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:46:50 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I do like Radiohead however, and I am looking forward to this thread being about them. It took me awhile to get into them and sometimes Thom Yorke seems to do his best to discourage people from liking the group (see his explanation of Street Spirit for a random example) but they have a whole bunch of corking songs and albums.

What's that?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 13
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:52:46 PM   
Rhubarb

I can't access a website to copy and paste it, as I'm in work but its like this unbearably condescending and pretentious analysis of how dark the song is and how no-one realises. Someone else copy and paste it over from Song Meanings or Wikipedia or something plz.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 14
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:55:39 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Twas a jest, though. I'm aware of the brickbats thrown at Muse for being some kind of Radiohead light.

Origin of Symmetry and Absolution are really good albums. But like most bands that achieve mainstream success, they felt the need to dilute their music to keep that success going.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 12:58:53 PM   
MonsterCat

Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realise what they're listening to. They don't realise that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the fucking devil right in the eyes, and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh. And it's real, and true. The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that too long, I'd crack.

I can't believe we have fans that can deal emotionally with that song. That's why I'm convinced that they don't know what it's about. It's why we play it towards the end of our sets. It drains me, and it shakes me, and hurts like hell every time I play it, looking out at thousands of people cheering and smiling, oblivious to the tragedy of its meaning, like when you're going to have your dog put down and it's wagging its tail on the way there. That's what they all look like, and it breaks my heart. I wish that song hadn't picked us as its catalysts, and so I don't claim it. It asks too much. I didn't write that song

Jesus, Thom, get over yourself.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/10/2011 12:59:40 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 16
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:03:20 PM   
Rhubarb

Cool video though.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 17
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:05:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Yep. And The Bends is a boss album, innit.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 18
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:06:33 PM   
matty_b

Oh, OK.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 19
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:06:45 PM   
tommyjarvis

I assume part of the reason people don't understand Street Spirit is because, like me, they can't figure out what any of the lyrics are.

Good song, mind. Fake Plastic Trees is their best tune though.

I don't really get the whole Muse-Radiohead thing, the likes of Plug In Baby, Supermassive Black Hole, New Born and Knights Of Cydonia don't sound anything like Radiohead.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 20
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:11:27 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I don't really get the whole Muse-Radiohead thing, the likes of Plug In Baby, Supermassive Black Hole, New Born and Knights Of Cydonia don't sound anything like Radiohead.

Yeah, as someone who likes one and not the other I agree. There's deffo an influence there, but Coldplay are also clearly influences by some aspects of RH, but neither sound the same or that much alike RH themselves, if that makes sense.  

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 21
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:20:38 PM   
Pigeon Army

I don't know if this is a spoiler, but I'm not really a fan of Fake Plastic Trees.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 22
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:21:31 PM   
Rhubarb

Weirdo.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 23
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:23:52 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Yeah, as someone who likes one and not the other I agree. There's deffo an influence there, but Coldplay are also clearly influences by some aspects of RH, but neither sound the same or that much alike RH themselves, if that makes sense.  

Radiohead must be really embarassed about that

quote:

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 24
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:30:39 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I don't know if this is a spoiler, but I'm not really a fan of Fake Plastic Trees.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 25
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 1:50:50 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

Radiohead must be really embarassed about that

Why do you think they've made increasingly unanthemic, impenterable computer albums* ever since Coldplay arrived on the scene?

*I'm joking guys, I like Kid A

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 2:28:20 PM   
Spaldron

Machine Head are better.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 27
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 2:36:33 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Machine Head are better.

Motorhead are better than both.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 28
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 2:43:57 PM   
Rhubarb

Primal Scream's cover of the song Motorhead is better than Motorhead's cover of the song Motorhead.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 29
RE: olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread ... - 1/10/2011 5:25:25 PM   
Spaldron

Machine Head>Motorhead>Radiohead

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> olaf and pigeon army present radiothread: a thread about radiohead Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI