Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lee Child Explains Tom Cruise's Casting

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Lee Child Explains Tom Cruise's Casting Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lee Child Explains Tom Cruise's Casting - 29/9/2011 9:08:54 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 29/9/2011 9:08:54 AM   
clarkkent

which actor DOES fit the description? Gerard Butler, Liam Neeson, hell get him to loose a little weight and Nathan Fillion would work. But Cruise just seems like a TERRIBLE choice for the flick, i like Cruise, but i honestly don't see him working as Reacher.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Errr.... what? - 29/9/2011 9:19:04 AM   
fingers76

"What people forget is that Tom Cruise is quite possibly the best actor of his generation" - errrr, if you say so

Post #: 3
- 29/9/2011 9:20:25 AM   
dragon_irl

Cruise will bring something different. Something needed. Remember folks, these books aren't works of literary genius. No, no...they're simply run of the mill formulaic predictable thrash!

Post #: 4
Errr.... what? - 29/9/2011 9:21:07 AM   
fingers76

"What people forget is that Tom Cruise is quite possibly the best actor of his generation" - errrr, if you say so

Post #: 5
RE: Errr.... what? - 29/9/2011 10:16:12 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers76

Not that I necessarily disagree, but who is? Cruise, when he makes the effort, is capable of greatness, but can also do stupid popcorn stuff as well. Plenty of actors can do one or the other, but not both. The problem with Cruise now is that he seems to have given up on credibility and Oscar-baiting (especially after Valkyrie didn't get the reaction he seemed to be hoping for), and is just wasting his time with nonsense like Knight & Day and yet another Mission Impossible instalment. Those films are great for his bank balance but don't contribute much to the legacy.

(in reply to fingers76)
Post #: 6
Who could do it? - 29/9/2011 10:34:57 AM   
the_equalizer

Kevin Durand that's who! Right age, right size, right build and a bloody decent actor to boot!

Post #: 7
Ray Stevenson - 29/9/2011 11:04:48 AM   
Lemure

That's all I have to say...

Post #: 8
Oh Dear, huge disapointment! - 29/9/2011 11:14:54 AM   
oz_p

Well if that is his opinion, then my estimation of him as a writer and creator of a brilliant character has gone down significantly... I will not be watching this film, I was initially looking forward to this film but the casting and this clear sell-out by Child now means I am hugely dissapointed and will not be watching the film!!!!

Lol at Tom Cruise being the best actor of his generation, he only ever plays variations of himself, just see Valkyrie as an example, who plays a German Officer with an American accent!!!

Post #: 9
BOLLOCKS! - 29/9/2011 1:02:12 PM   
kevmccann

What an utter sellout, Cruise the ego maniac, can't wait for the reboot with a proper casting.

Post #: 10
BOLLOCKS! - 29/9/2011 1:04:50 PM   
kevmccann

What an utter sellout, Cruise the ego maniac, can't wait for the reboot with a proper casting.

Post #: 11
- 29/9/2011 1:13:52 PM   
Kalielyn

"I think this Reacher will be more clinical – the scapel rather than the sledgehammer" So it's going to be Mission Impossible 5 then? I've not read the books so can't comment to much on the character but from what I know there are plenty of better options. Cruise is a good action actor but this just seems wrong

Post #: 12
hmmm - 29/9/2011 4:09:40 PM   
LSJShez

It was the first feature I read in the new issue. Child makes fair comments on Cruise being the actor of his generation. When he's "acting", he's great. But the rest of the article reeked of him protecting his nest egg. Connery had to win Fleming over, we know; but TC seems to be light years away from Reacher. I haven't even read the books and I'm suspicious. God knows how the fanatics will be.

Post #: 13
"REACHING" - 29/9/2011 8:03:02 PM   
miorandmior

This is my fourth posting on this issue, had some time so thought id do a fifth. Lee Child needs to remember that for better or worse there a legions of his fans out there that for one reason or another do care about his work and whatever else derives from them. I find it rather interesting that as an author who depends on book sales for a living he has, thus far, chosen not to hear what his fans say about the proposed movie - it goes afainst every marketig principle im aware of - going against your base market. from what ive seen almost every one of his fans (bar perhaps a small few) are adamant about TC being absolutely wrong for the role. What does he do? he continues pandering to TC and company - persistently justifing the choice for the role. "reacher's size a mere metaphor..." ???? oh come one. lets cast Jack black as thor, the big show as spider man, oprah winfrey as WASP since the size and characterisation can be taken as merely metaphorical. As an avid reader of Mr childs books and an avod moviegoer i must admit am utterly dissapointed. i probably wont watch the movie and stop buying the books at least untill i can get TC's image out of my head whenever im reading them.

Post #: 14
RE: "REACHING" - 29/9/2011 11:51:03 PM   
jobloffski

Name one actor with the physical stature to faithfully represent the character. Blokes of that size tend not to be leading men capable of carrying a film, no matter how strong they are, and more crucially, real blokes of that size CANNOT MOVE AROUND IN REALITY LIKE THE STORY WOULD DEMAND OF THEM. They are lumbering hulks and in reality would last minutes against things that take away every advantage of their size (ie guns), so it is inevitable that compromises in the translation to screen would have to be made.

Unless you cast Andy Serkis and Mo-cap the main character, or something, but who would go for that?

Who knows anything about this character but people who already know something about this character?

Who will go to see a film about a character they know very little if they don;t also have the potential draw of an actor they have heard of?

As ever with an adaptation of a property such as this, the vast majority of those who would need to go to make the film a viable proposition will never, ever read the source material. Fans of the source material often feel like their interests are factored in last, but that is probably true for the previously mentioned reason.

So it's either cast someone with a profile and aim for a version of the spirit of the source material, or no film made.

I'm sure this is the world the author is living in. And in that world, the film may bring him more readers.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 29/9/2011 11:59:32 PM >

(in reply to miorandmior)
Post #: 15
All i'm Gonna Say......................................... - 30/9/2011 12:56:43 AM   
icedude

Cruise ensures the movie will get made, then with an luck mr Child will talk the studio into making the rest (in order) with a better Reacher, As for me i'm gonna try to watch and think of it not as a reacher film, more a Cruise ego trip.

Post #: 16
RE: All i'm Gonna Say..................................... - 30/9/2011 3:03:29 AM   
max314

People bitched about Cruise playing the vampire Lestat, who was described in the books as six-foot tall and having curly blonde hair.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to icedude)
Post #: 17
Sellout - 30/9/2011 9:34:37 AM   
JakeFalk

Now that you sold you'r soul to the "devil" you may well find that a lot of you'r long time fans may not be with you anymore. I for one, will end my adventures with Reacher from now on. It was fun while it lasted but i'm so upset that you have turned Reacher into a short unintimidating guy that looks like he would have trouble killing time. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing personal agains T.C or his acting skills, but he is not anything near the picture most of you'r fans have of Reacher.

Post #: 18
RE: Sellout - 30/9/2011 11:32:13 AM   
MonsterCat

Tom Cruise's height seems like such a superficial thing to complain about.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to JakeFalk)
Post #: 19
Tom Cruise? - 30/9/2011 12:31:31 PM   
gregorro

Surely Chris Hemsworth would be better for this role? Okay, he's a little young, but he looks more like Reacher than Tom Cruise does.

Post #: 20
So disappointed - 30/9/2011 1:30:03 PM   
Ledbowie

Obviously the Cruiser should be a no-no! Looking at some ideas Kevin Durand would fit the phisical description - 6ft 6... so maybe a little tall :)!

Post #: 21
Money talks - 30/9/2011 1:39:47 PM   
ofthesun

Never read any "Reacher" novels, but on reading the description of him, Tom Cruise did not spring to mind. I understand he's box office draw and where he goes the money will follow.
It says that Jack Reacher doesnt say much. And I get the impression he stay quite ashen faced.
Tom Cruise (however watch-able he may be) run's, shouts and Hollywood-smiles his way through every production he makes. Lets face it, Valkyrie didn't work too well because Tom wasn't believable as that particular character. I fear the same will befall One Shot

Post #: 22
Tom Cruise? - 30/9/2011 1:55:58 PM   
gregorro

Surely Chris Hemsworth would be better for this role? Okay, he's a little young, but he looks more like Reacher than Tom Cruise does.

Post #: 23
- 30/9/2011 4:33:03 PM   
LSJShez

Forget Ray Stevenson. Bring that big fucker from Gladiator in. In Universal Soldier he made Dolph look like Peter Dinklage; and he could probably stop a 12 bore, never mind a 22.

Post #: 24
- 1/10/2011 3:57:31 AM   
quantumphoeniix

i am so sick of this and i really cant believe its even happening.danny fk'n devito would be better than tom cruise.best actor of his generation?tell me one role that hes done that deserves that title the guys a has been.just look at his last movies that are shite and box office dissapontments.go and grin in a corner or jump up and down on a couch.

Post #: 25
- 1/10/2011 9:13:09 AM   
imijay

Jack Reacher should be Tom Hardy, git some size going on and a great actor , Tom Cruise is a scrotum

Post #: 26
- 1/10/2011 9:13:10 AM   
imijay

Jack Reacher should be Tom Hardy, git some size going on and a great actor , Tom Cruise is a scrotum

Post #: 27
- 1/10/2011 9:21:40 AM   
imijay

Post #: 28
Explain away - 2/10/2011 5:10:51 AM   
lona_no_friends

All it comes down to is not being able to say no to Tom Cruise

Post #: 29
Wake up Lee! - 8/10/2011 2:09:41 AM   
hiruys

I love your books Lee, but you obviously don't understand what your fans love most about Jack. A scalpel just doesn't cut it (no pun intended). A big part of what makes Reacher such a loved character IS that he can walk into a bar full of bad guys and decimate them. His imposing presence is what we want to see. And there are actors out there who could be that. Imagine if Michael Shannon bulked up. Think about it!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Lee Child Explains Tom Cruise's Casting Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI