Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fear God

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fear God Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fear God - 12/3/2012 8:07:50 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

As a social commentary, it's passable. As a movie, it's above average

I'll second that. It's clearly a film that has been inspired, to a degree, by the Phelps Family in America, to the point of which there is even a direct reference to them in the film by John Goodman's character and there's a disclaimer at the end of the credits too. I agree it's above average, it's surprisingly less brutal than I expected it to be after watching the trailer which plays like your stonewall Tarantino movie. It certainly isn't the other side of the tracks of Smith though in being horror's answer to 'Clerks,' I'd also argue it's a more of a thriller than a horror anyway but it's exhilirating, well acted and plays up to quite a clever finish. It's not going to win any awards but it's certainly worth your time on a Saturday night. 4/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to lostboys96)
Post #: 31
RE Red State - 22/3/2012 5:39:35 PM   
wgfuzzydunlop1

I've just got round to watching this (little late, I know!) but I have to say it was excellent! Michael Parks and John Goodman were outstanding. Nice work, Kev!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: RE Red State - 26/3/2012 10:36:20 AM   
Vitamin F

** slight spoilers **

I thought this was very decent and definitely worth checking out. Not perfect, certainly not a horror film if that's what you're expecting, but the plot is relatively fresh thanks to the shifts in direction throughout.

The down side is the ending is a bit bollocks, and very clumsily handled by Smith. Did we really need an expository explanation of the awful "deus ex..." ending and a duff anecdote from Goodman in the interview room? And actually, that ending - this could have went splendidly weird but decides to play safe and as a result feels very tacked on.

Still, better than expected. Michael Parks really steals the show.

(in reply to wgfuzzydunlop1)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fear God Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI