Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BOOOORING!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: BOOOORING! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BOOOORING! - 2/11/2011 6:39:15 AM   
jobloffski

Ah well, you didn't like it. It's not the end of the world...

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to SteveInVA)
Post #: 31
Worth sticking with - 22/11/2011 11:17:35 AM   
smp1986

When I first started watching this film, I was in 2 minds as to whether I wanted to watch it or turn it off. I decided to stick with it, and am so glad I did. A great, thought provoking film. having suffered with depression myself, it was sometimes hard to watch. However, that was down to bloody good acting, Kirsten Dunst is not one of my favourite actresses, but played the part of Justine brilliantly. In fact, every cast member played their parts perfectly.
A beauitful movie that doesn't require huge special effects to portray the end of the world. Stick with it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Avoid - 25/1/2012 6:24:24 PM   
Caster

Another pretencious 'art' film from Von Trier. A few beautiful shots aside its tedious, dull and overrated.

Post #: 33
RE: Melancholia - 27/1/2012 4:49:24 PM   
Tech_Noir

Dear God was this film a pretentious bore.

I understand the intention of the film (I think) but that doesn't stop it from failing on almost every level to engage me.

Post #: 34
RE: Melancholia - 27/1/2012 10:52:17 PM   
Whistler

I can understand that it won't please everyone, but I don't think it's pretentious at all. I admit that the first time I watched it, during the opening sequence, I was afraid it would just be a long pretentious bore, but once I got to the end it was all contextualised. What seemed pretentious at first suddenly made so much sense. This isn't even to mention the final scene, which completely blew me away. I found it to be utterly haunting.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 35
RE: Melancholia - 28/1/2012 10:41:27 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I can understand that it won't please everyone, but I don't think it's pretentious at all.

Likewise. I usually switch off as soon as anyone mentions the P word anyway, talk about reductive criticism.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 36
RE: Melancholia - 30/1/2012 6:53:21 PM   
UTB

I can't say I've bothered watching a Von Trier film before since the hyperbole surrounding his films and the manifestos and whatnot always seemed a bit too beard-strokey for my liking.

So, what drew me to watch this? Well, it was the curiosity to see how the end of the world would be dealt with by someone who I'd not thought about watching before, and I have to say I was enthralled. I can certainly see why people might have been bored or found this 'pretentious' but if Von Trier's films are all like this then I might just have to get cracking.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, there's still a lot of baggage with it and not all of the cast were that great, but Dunst and Gainsbourg were exceptional.

Certainly got me thinking: would I be melancholic about the end of the world or would I continue to wail as with Gainsbourg's character.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 37
Undecided - 12/3/2012 6:55:37 PM   
Chris1039

I really didn't know what to make of Melancholia but it had me thinking for a while afterwards.

I have written (or attempted to write at least) my own analysis of the film if anyone would care to take a gander...

http://goo.gl/Bfhff

Post #: 38
So boring - 26/3/2012 2:48:26 PM   
mixart101

i watched over 250 films last summer after knee surgery, and this was comfortably the worst. sometimes u feel directors r makin films for themselves to the detriment of the audience. films like this jus makes me wish directors should go back to basics, i.e. entertainment should be entertaining. An absolutely awful film; i wud give it 0 stars if i cud.

< Message edited by mixart101 -- 26/3/2012 2:50:17 PM >

Post #: 39
So boring - 26/3/2012 2:52:04 PM   
mixart101

still bored

< Message edited by mixart101 -- 26/3/2012 2:53:26 PM >

Post #: 40
PASS THE MOGADON..... - 5/4/2012 3:03:20 PM   
ROTGUT

when that dirty great big asteriod smashed into the earth and killed everyone, I cheered like a loon!!!!! A plague on all of them - miserable, self centred, pampered rich gits!!! Will someone please put Lars Von (Nazi loving) Tree House out of his misery??? And pass a law so that he never ever makes another shitty art film ever again???
ONE STAR!!!!

Post #: 41
PASS THE MOGADON..... - 5/4/2012 3:03:22 PM   
ROTGUT

when that dirty great big asteriod smashed into the earth and killed everyone, I cheered like a loon!!!!! A plague on all of them - miserable, self centred, pampered rich gits!!! Will someone please put Lars Von (Nazi loving) Tree House out of his misery??? And pass a law so that he never ever makes another shitty art film ever again???
ONE STAR!!!!

Post #: 42
What - 1/5/2012 3:09:39 AM   
david hayes

Although the last scene was great cinema, what was the purpose of the wedding? What happened to the husband? Why is Dunst continually given roles?

Post #: 43
A film for our inner hipster... - 2/5/2012 10:11:05 AM   
trainedasninja

Stylish and artistically stunning with great performances and a profound vision makes Melancholia something a little special. Whilst its pace might seem slow if not pretentious to others, if you appreciate the concept you will hardly notice and find yourself hooked from its arty opening sequence towards its majestic finish.

Post #: 44
Melancholia - 30/5/2012 2:54:25 PM   
norgizfox

It's slow pacing and deep metaphors will be too much for some, but Melancholia is backed up with beautiful visuals and Oscar-worthy performances. It's a deep look into Melancholia itself, and it works.

Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: BOOOORING! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI