Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Drive

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Drive Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Drive - 2/2/2012 8:57:29 AM   
Whistler

I want this so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drive-Promotional-Scorpion-Jacket-Signed-Ryan-Gosling-/110814103166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd09067e#ht_1155wt_1396

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 31
RE: Drive - 2/2/2012 2:24:18 PM   
Drew_231

So has anyone seen this yet
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/drive-filmdistrict-lawsuit-ryan-gosling-245871#dsq-form-area

Sarah Deming has filed a lawsuit against FilmDistrict claiming that the distributors, "promoted the film Drive as very similar to the Fast and Furious, or similar, series of movies."

She then goes on to claim the film is antisemetic and encourages violence against Jews.

I get the feeling that some people are just looking for an excuse to get offended by things

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 32
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 1:06:05 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

So has anyone seen this yet
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/drive-filmdistrict-lawsuit-ryan-gosling-245871#dsq-form-area

Sarah Deming has filed a lawsuit against FilmDistrict claiming that the distributors, "promoted the film Drive as very similar to the Fast and Furious, or similar, series of movies."

She then goes on to claim the film is antisemetic and encourages violence against Jews.

I get the feeling that some people are just looking for an excuse to get offended by things

That's pretty pathetic. Anti-semitic? Only Hellboy gets offed and it wasn't because the driver's an anti-semite; she does know there are Jewish gangsters in the world right?

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 33
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 1:21:27 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

If i was expecting a Fast and Furious action fest i would be SERIOUSLY disappointed with that. I made sure not to watch any trailers before seeing the mkovie, but having watched the movie and having checked out the trailers, i can safely say they are severely misleading. I could understand someone being frustrated about that specifically.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 34
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 2:07:42 PM   
Whistler

Never mind frustrated, I was glad it was nothing like the trailer.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 35
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 3:10:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Obviously most people who post here were glad that drive is nothing like fast and furious, i kinda take that as a given!

Although i preffered fast five!

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 3/2/2012 3:13:05 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 36
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 3:32:31 PM   
ace14

I saw this the other night and really enjoyed it. I though the opening 'chase' was superbly done then, as has been noted elsewhere, the score and title sequence set-up the film perfectly.

I agree with what has been said elsewhere about the uber-violence jarring slightly, but in hindsight wouldn't witnessing a violent attack on someone leave you feeling the same, so whilst it jarred me slightly whilst watching it I thought it was intentionally OTT to emphasise the point.

Was it just me or was anyone else waiting for Albert Brooks to say 'Well there was this mollusc'

< Message edited by ace14 -- 3/2/2012 3:33:16 PM >

The Dredd thread is sucking my will to live

My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We'll see about that

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 37
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 4:34:54 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Obviously most people who post here were glad that drive is nothing like fast and furious, i kinda take that as a given!

Fast Five was pretty awesome. But also completely non camparable.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 38
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 8:07:18 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Holy shit. Just clicked !

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 39
RE: Drive - 3/2/2012 8:47:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Fast Five was pretty awesome. But also completely non camparable.

true, true

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 40
RE: Drive - 5/2/2012 2:56:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

Well they are completely different kind of films, so I don't really get why they are being compared in this thread. Thing about films like FATF, even though it is a full on action movie they wouldn't make it too graphic as they don't want to put off the main stream audience the film aims to attract.

Thing about the Violence in Drive, is that it comes out of the blue at a time when the audience has settled down and gotten used to a more character driven, moody and atmospheric movie. So less is more, by only having the a few violent scenes they have a greater impact, and are more shocking.

Post #: 41
RE: Drive - 6/2/2012 11:59:08 AM   
Kaede

Got the DVD of this last week as I loved it when I saw it at the cinema, it was possibly my favourite film of 2011.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

On the second watch though, anyone get the feeling that the second half of the film moves along a little to quickly? I felt that Ron Pearlman's death was nowhere near satisfying enough, of all the people Driver killed he was most deserving of something brutal but instead we don't even actually get to see it. Although he is the one person to die knowing full well what's coming, which is pretty nasty in itself I suppose.

Still, a great film! :D

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 42
RE: Drive - 6/2/2012 2:13:15 PM   
davie_rfc

I don't think anyone is supposed to be deserving of the death's they get in the movie, the whole reason people get killed is bad decision after bad decision. That's what I got from the movie anyway, especially after the other gangster's speech to the Driver at the end.

Everyone is killing through necessity for their own lives or others, they even

*SPOILERS*

talk about letting the Driver go if he hands the cash back but can't since too much has happened! I guess that's why I felt the movie was also pretty sad in a way as everyone is pretty much doomed no matter what they're actions.

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to Kaede)
Post #: 43
RE: Drive - 13/2/2012 12:59:29 PM   
JIm R

Watched over weekend and just fallen in love with this film. From first frame to last, an epic piece of film making, desparately sad, visually stunning and a great story and perfermances across the board just truly amazing, Gosling conveying every emotion required without saying very much at all.

Sharp, viseral, elegant, shocking, brilliant.

As soon as it ends, you want to see it again. Unforgetable.  

5 stars.

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 44
RE: Drive - 13/2/2012 4:06:43 PM   
ElephantBoy

Actually I would say on second viewing that I did like it either more and that it went from being in the bottom half my top ten of 2011 to nearer the top half

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 45
RE: Drive - 21/4/2012 11:23:17 AM   
superdan

Finally got around to watching this last night, and I really liked it. I was caught a bit off-guard with the sudden change in tone from slightly navel-gazing first act to pretty dark and bleak in the second, but it didn't put me off the film. Loved the 80's vibe, from the candy-pink opening credits and Lethal Weapon-style night time cityscape shots to the synths of the (pretty brilliant) score. Some brilliant casting too.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 46
RE: Drive - 29/4/2012 1:10:51 AM   
filmfanatic123

Okay, I'm bracing myself for some hatred here, but I don't really get the fuss around Drive.

It's decent, in my opinion, but in no way is it the 'classic' that some people have made it out to be.

I actually thought Gosling was miscast as the lead - he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off such a role, and he came across as arrogant to me, rather than uber-cool.

Also (spoiler ahead), how the fuck can someone heal themselves by sitting in a car and revving the bloody engine???

I'd give it 3 stars, but hey, that's just me.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Drive - 29/4/2012 1:15:40 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmfanatic123

Also (spoiler ahead), how the fuck can someone heal themselves by sitting in a car and revving the bloody engine???

This doesn't happen at all.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 48
RE: Drive - 29/4/2012 2:00:25 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

This doesn't happen at all.

This ^

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 30/4/2012 3:35:57 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 49
RE: Drive - 29/4/2012 11:57:54 AM   
Whistler

quote:

Okay, I'm bracing myself for some hatred here, but I don't really get the fuss around Drive.

It's decent, in my opinion, but in no way is it the 'classic' that some people have made it out to be.

I actually thought Gosling was miscast as the lead - he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off such a role, and he came across as arrogant to me, rather than uber-cool.

Really? I thought he was phenomenal. Conveyed so many emotions with barely having to open his mouth.

Post #: 50
RE: Drive - 30/4/2012 10:18:52 AM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

Eh? He doesnt what now?!!!

Go watch Drive again, then blue valentine, half nelson, lars and the real girl, etc etc and if you still dont think he has the acting chops then I shall scratch the top of my head in bemusement at you...

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 30/4/2012 10:19:57 AM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 51
RE: Drive - 31/5/2012 7:01:26 PM   
Spaldron

There's going to be a sequel (to the book at least).

http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/900686-james-sallis-i-never-anticipated-drive-sequel-but-the-driver-is-unknowable

Here's hoping its ace and gets the film treatment.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 52
RE: Drive - 1/6/2012 6:36:24 PM   
donethinking

I started to think Gosling had aspergers syndrome he was so over the top with the coolness....couldnt detect much chemistry between gosling and muligan either, film was okay tho

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 53
RE: Drive - 2/6/2012 2:09:00 PM   
rich

I liked this, it looked and sounded great some nice slow tension and subtle performances ... but it wasn't amazing. Seen too many crime dramas to ever think it was something new and exiting.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 54
RE: Drive - 2/6/2012 3:28:33 PM   
drews

Sits at number 3 on my all-time favourite movies list.

< Message edited by drews -- 7/6/2012 3:01:06 PM >

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 55
RE: Drive - 7/6/2012 4:05:49 AM   
Mr. White

Drive was fucking brilliant. I did want to see more of what I saw in the beginning.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 56
RE: Drive - 14/6/2012 8:43:39 PM   
Coyleone

People still don't think Gosling is very good? Well I never.

the man is brilliant in everything he's in. The Believer, Half Nelson, Lars and The Real Girl, Blue Valentine, Drive, Ides Of March. He's brilliant in every one of those. Blue Valentine alone made me realize just how talented he is.

Also, can't believe people didn't feel the chemistry between him and Mulligan. It was off the chain to me.

Said it before, possibly in this thread but I can't remember, but it's one of my favorite films ever. Beautifully shot, framed, acted and directed. Cinematography was awesome, the soundtrack is brilliant, the sound of the film is amazing. So stylish and so intense throughout. Amazing movie.

(in reply to Mr. White)
Post #: 57
RE: Drive - 15/7/2012 8:08:48 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

I've just watched this film. I really liked it. Ryan Goslings character reminded me of Robert De Neros, Travis Bickle. The way he starts of anonymous but later takes on a bunch of mobsters to save the innocent, in this case, Irene and her son. * SPOILER * At the end of the film however, I thought it would of been better to give that money to Irene, since she is now alone with Standard being killed of.
It's quite depressing how it ends.

It made me want to get in my car and go for a drive.

Post #: 58
RE: Drive - 15/7/2012 9:13:41 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I watched it at the cinema and thought it was ace. Then I watched it on Blu a few months back and it went up. Then I watched it a fortnight ago and it went up again. It just keeps getting better, and better.

There's something untouchable about it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 59
RE: Drive - 16/7/2012 7:06:41 PM   
TragicRomantic

Only 2 pages for this modern classic??
This is a 5 star film if ever there was one.
Gosling is superb here,sizzling and broody.
The soundtrack is superb too.
Watched the q+a with the director-very interesting and passionate film maker.
Sheer class,easily a top 10 best ever for me.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Drive Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI