Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Drive

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Drive Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Drive - 25/9/2011 9:22:33 PM   
MartinBlank76

My first favourite films thread...

And I have just cracked a thousand posts after 6 years...

Two momentous occasions deserve a momentous film.

And thats what you get with DRIVE.

I saw it for the first time today and already I think I am getting obsessed with it. Its all I can do to stop myself chewing on a toothpick and saying little while looking cool, enigmatic and mysterious. And its a bit hard to look cool when you are chewing on a toothpick, unless you are Ryan Gosling that is.

I got lucky watching it in a nice quiet cinema screen with not many people there who could disrupt the atmosphere of it all. And what atmosphere. Allied with one of my favourite scores of the year. I usually like to sit and digest a film before I go all gooey over it but this made such an impression that even while watching I knew this was one of my favourite, if not my favourite film of the year.

Add this to half nelson and blue valentine for another great performance and film from the Gosling. He reminded me a bit of McQueen in this, that quiet presence and charisma that just sucked you in, except he is a much more talented actor. No offense steve.

It did everything else right as well, cinematography, that score, Refns subllime direction and the great supporting cast.

Anyone else fall under its spell?

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.
Post #: 1
RE: Drive - 26/9/2011 2:45:01 PM   
filmburner30

Its very Violent but is brillant also better than most stupid action movies it has all the elements of Friedkin,Mann and Walter Hill at thier best and thats no bad thing beelive me

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 2
RE: Drive - 26/9/2011 6:10:24 PM   
MartinBlank76

SPOILERS GALORE!!!!SPOILERS GALORE!!!!

One of the things I enjoy the most about Drive is how it follows at times what seems to be a conventional route but takes all these little detours to give a different spin on the preceedings, to stamp its character and that of Refn, on all thats going on.

The lead character is a great example of this. On the face of it, he is no one we havent seen before in movies (and he is very much a movie hero in certain ways, with the fact he works in the movies you almost feel this is a deliberate move on his part). He is the man with no name, mcqueen in bullit, ryan o’neal in The Driver, a man of few words, who for the most part is self-contained, keeps his thoughts to himself, always looks ridiculously cool no matter what he is wearing or doing (seriously, how many of us could pull of the toothpick look or the scorpion jacket). But despite all this he doesn’t follow convention. Early on when he is ‘wooing’ carey mulligans character and promises her a surprise, you never expect that to be an oasis of nature in the middle of the city in one of the most beautiful scenes in the movie.

His whole relationship with Irene follows different lines than normal, it is all stems from a place of innocence, he loves her so much he will do what is necessary for her happiness which may not necessarily be the same as his. When her partner gets released from prison you sit back and wait for him to turn into the usual abusive boyfriend who you cant understand what she sees or ever seen in him. And then gosling will have to step in and save the day. And besides their first meeting where suspicion radiates of Standard in waves making you think a confrontation is rapidly on its way, it very quickly takes another route were Standard sees Driver as friend and he kinda is if only to be able to be with Irene and benicio.

I really loved the vein of nicely underplayed humour that ran through the film especially from the double act of Brooks and Perlman. Not that these are comedic characters in any way but they have a wry way with a funny line and a certain charisma that makes you almost think a spin off with these two characters would work. At the same time, they are two nasty pieces of work, even though brooks gives of the air of preferring the quiet life, he is not afraid to get his hands dirty if need be.

Cranston is also excellent playing what in a way would be a mentor role if it wasn’t for the fact that he needs Driver more than Driver needs him. And Christina Hendricks turns up looking very different than her more glam mad men role, she is not in it long but she gets to go out in a very memorable fashion, in after what has been a pretty violence free first 45 mins or so, Refn ramps up the blood and the shocks. There are several more instances of this, including an irreversible type attack on some wiseguys head, and I could hear a mixture of gasps and at times nervous laughter coming from the audience around me. While explicit it never feels needless and fits the world of Driver, the world of this Travis Bicklesesque character married with the eye of Michael Mann. Drivers inner travis bickle only comes through in self defense though. Unlike Bickle you never feel he is going to go off the edge in some way or another, though the threat of violence always lies beneath that calm surface, he only ever produces it in self defense or defence of Irene and benicio. Driver belongs and fits in, at least on the surface, a lot easier in the world than Bickle does. Though there is a moment in the film were some dude from a previous job recognises him and the first crack of what lies beneath is revealed when Driver tells him in no uncertain terms to get lost or he will feel the pain. In fact what he threatens him with is pretty much what he does later to the wiseguy in the lift.

Gosling is one of my favourite actors, I love half nelson and blue valentine and his performances in them. He has this presence, this movie star charisma married with this realism, that is useful for a film like Drive which can be quite stylised and Driver quite a character that could only exist in the movies but thanks to Goslings performance he breathes life into him and makes him a real person. Lots of great, subtle work going on here, especially in the very sweet romance between him and Irene. At times when they are together especially the scene were she turns up at his garage and Cranston teases them, they seem to regress to two lovesick teenagers getting ready for a date or going to the prom, all shy smiles and not much said but looks and glances that promise so much.

Refn did a great job with this, loved how he handled the quiet moments along with the more bloody ones and how he shot the city at night in a ‘Michael mann of the 80s’ stylised mode. The whole 80s theme worked wonders, from the music to the pink opening credits. Refn’s fingerprints are all over this film, I really enjoyed Bronson and to a lesser extent Valhalla rising and had the feeling he would be a very interesting filmmaker to follow. With Drive, he has just made himself an essential filmmaker.

Random Thoughts:

• The opening scene with the car has probably just become my favourite car chase of all time. More a subtle game of cat and mouse than an engine gunning, car smashing atypical car chase, its tense and exciting, even though half of it, is them sitting in the car in the dark, waiting to pull out and escape. Another sign of this film being something different than normal is that despite the fact they do share the odd worried glance between each other, the two criminals in the back never question Driver or his methods. In many other films, you can imagine them flipping out and screaming, ’what the hell are you doing MAN?!!’ when he is cruising slowly behind the police car before he turns off and heads in another direction. Love the way the sport event ties in with it all, his careful monitoring of both it and the police scanner all timed to a T. It reminds me a little bit of the car chase in Way of the Gun which also did something a little different and just didn’t resort to the usual tyres and brakes squealing, cardboard boxes flying, guys trying to carry a sheet of glass across the road failing to get out of the way in time.

• He doesn’t carry a gun and though he does use one in the hotel, he leaves it behind which seems a bit foolhardy but when you are as handy with a hammer, a shower rail, your boot and of course your car as he is, who needs a gun.

• You can almost see his thought processes when Benicio hands him the bullet the bad guys told him to hold on to. ‘Why dont you let me take care of it’ tells you all you need to know what will happen next.

• Love the use of music in the film, the score is excellent and the songs chosen work perfectly with the film and also how the lyrics also hint at the themes of the film. ‘under your spell’ and ‘you are a real human being, you are a hero’ you can almost imagine Driver himself picking these songs to listen to, to pump himself up as he cruises the streets at night on a mission to save a damsel in distress.

• Driver comes across as a guy who doesn’t need much in life. His sparse apartment, the way he leaves one apartment for another all his belongings in one bag, Cranston saying that he turned up happy enough to work for a pittance and how he leaves this all to Cranstons character, even the way the money is split, which he just acknowledges it with an amused smile.

• Speaking of smiles, I just loved how he expressed himself and conveyed what he was feeling not through words but through a little series of smiles and shy smirks. Especially in his developing relationship with Irene who comes across really sympathetic and lovable, you can see why he would fall for her. Despite in the coming home party scene were you can tell on one level how she is thinking of Driver she is still there for her husband and there is a bond between them too.

• The scene in the elevator and how it turns from this magical extended moment between two people, a kiss long been contemplated, what was long left unspoken is finally acted upon...just seconds before he disposes of the wiseguy in quite a psychotic fashion. You just wonder what that was like for Irene, from the kiss to what she witnessed all in the space of a minute. Must have left her feeling somewhat shell-shocked.

• Like the little sly moments where Refn avoids taking himself and all the cool too seriously. Driver giving a toothpick to the kid to chew, working as a stuntman he probably has picked up on these little habits as a way of taking his film life home with him after the cameras have stopped rolling. In a kinda, ‘i rolled a car seven times today and got out without a scratch, darn tooting I can get away with chewing on a toothpick.’ Also the scene were brooks mentions his previous life making bad 80s actions movies with a European slant, that were actually s***e.

• As the song says, ‘you are a real hero’, is he? Does he think so himself? Is his scorpion jacket in a sense his spidey suit? No matter how battered and bloody it gets he keeps it on as the film as Driver goes to a bloody end. Loved the way he handled that, driving his car away to who knows where? Probably to die while Irene knocks on his empty apartment door. Reminded me of little of cheyenne in once upon a time in the west, going out in to the desert to die leaving Jill behind, content she is safe.

• So many great scenes and shots framed almost so they could be as a still taken and put on the wall. Like the scene were he stands over the guy in the club with the women looking on scantily clad and kinda bored looking like these random bursts of violence happen all the time in their company. Driver is standing above him gripping the hammer tight, sweat pouring off him, as if he is trying to contain himself from tearing him apart.

All in all, it just blew me away and I shall be heading to see it again in couple of days and who knows my score might get even higher second time round but for now I would give it 9.3 toothpicks out of 10. Film of the year for me so far.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 26/9/2011 6:15:04 PM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 3
RE: Drive - 29/9/2011 12:30:53 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

Drive is my favourite film of the year and I'm also mildly obsessed with it. I got the soundtrack the day after I saw the film and have been listening to it non-stop.

It's pure cinema and It does for me what I Am Love and Amer did for me last year. Can't wait to see it again.

Post #: 4
RE: Drive - 1/10/2011 7:51:11 PM   
Frank Castle

damn it i thought this would be about the marc dascoscos classic

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 5
RE: Drive - 4/10/2011 7:55:21 PM   
MartinBlank76

SPOILERS!!! SPOILERS!!!!

The second time you go to see a great movie you always figure if the first time was magnificient the second time will still be great but some of its charm may be missing. You know what is in store for you, whats coming up round the corner, all its secrets and surprises. Well, the surprise was that Drive second time round was just as great. Drive maintained its status of that this has the potential to be one of my all time faves. And its not often I come to that conclusion a week after a film has hit the cinema but as I sat glued to the screen, feeling my emotions soar whether by Refns sublime direction, the heartfilling yet simple love story between the leads, Goslings peerless performance or any number of things that I loved about it.

The second time round I got to enjoy more and pick up on things that may not have as much of an impression the first time round. Such as Oscar Isaacs performance which is very very almost quietly impressive. Everyone gets their little moments to shine in this film, and Oscar is no exception such when he gives his speech at the party or his ‘confrontation’ with Driver in the hall and in a funny and touching moment how he met Irene. Ron Perlman too manages to break out from just being an atypical ‘belligerent BEEP!’ with his railing against his station in life. Liked the little glances and nods between him and brooks when after Nino says that Shannon has to go, Brooks demands the same for ninos man and nino agrees, all without saying a word.

The score is of course out of this world but I also noticed this time how great the sound was as well especially the sudden shock of an out of nowhere gunshot or the earthy guttural roar of the car engines.

I have to mention the score again and the accompanying songs. Just great music but also used perfectly with each scene and the thud of the bass matched perfectly with my heartbeat at times so caught up in it all I was.

Just watching Gosling and Mulligan smiling shyly and saying little at each other all day, you could feel the electric, the connection between them, in the air. Finally released in the scene in the elevator with the kiss. If you could put on film what it feels like to kiss the girl of your dreams that would be the scene. Not including the wiseguy stomp of course. Speaking of which Driver really loses control in that moment, almost to the point of derangement. Shows how determined, how possessed he is to protect Irene. After these moments of violence you can almost see a look come over his face, and in his eyes were its like he is coming back from a place where he doesn’t know how he got there. Like he is waking up out of a deep sleep.

More Random Thoughts:

So many greats shots and scenes composed so brilliantly that made me just sigh with the sheer cinema of it all.

• Driver carrying Benecio to his room with ‘and a real hero’ on the soundtrack. He walking in slow motion, we only see his back and then cut to Irene walking behind them looking happy and possibly, just maybe, seeing a future even at this early stage.
• With the hotel shootout, Refn choosing to show us the extreme violence in the bathroom but when it comes to offing the other hitman with the shotgun, he stays fixed on Driver. And after a brief cutaway to the body, it shows Driver standing in the bathroom, almost frozen trying to take it all in, what happened possibly by instinct and the will to survive, his face covered in blood as he slowly melts away into the bathroom behind the wall.
• Driver sitting in the car at the end, the camera frozen on his unblinking open eyes as you slowly come to terms that he may be dead...before he blinks and starts up the car and drives away.

Just love the way the camera moves, whether tracking alongside people walking through a scene such as Standard and Blanche walking into rob the pawn shop
• Driver walking into the garage at the start to get a car of Shannon, Driver never saying a word, Shannon never shutting up, setting the scene for the rest of the movie
• When driver opens the door of his car for Joyce, the way the camera moves towards him through the door

• The escape from the pawn shop robbery gone bad, short and sweet. More of a conventional car chase than the one at the start but nicely done and exciting with the awesome shot through the rear windscreen of the car flipping up while blanche screams in the back of the car. Whoever filmed and edited the car chase at the start of quantum of solace which this reminded me off, should watch this to see how its done. You can have excitement and you can place the viewer in the middle of a car chase without having to resort to uncontrollable shakicam.

I have heard of bad reports from certain audiences who have to gone see this movie expecting one thing and getting another. My friend who accompanied me wasn’t fussed on it all, and found it slow and that nothing happened in the first hour. I dont see that at all for me so much happens in every moment of the movie, but if you go in expecting an action packed thriller or even gawd help us, something along the lines of the fast and the furious you are probably going to be a little disappointed. Supposedly the trailer is edited in that fashion so it may be slightly misleading. I saw this in a multiplex but it does feel to me more an arthouse movie.

I am getting a little obsessed with this film, its every move and moment. I need to watch it again just to see if, for me, it really will be an all time great but its definitely on the cusp of the higher echelons of my alltime chart already. And that third time will be tonight! Cant wait.

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 4/10/2011 11:53:59 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Drive - 5/10/2011 12:01:08 AM   
Spaldron

I gotta see this again, like Martin says there's something infectious about it. Like a cross between A Clockwork Orange and Taxi Driver. In 20 years people will still be talking about this film.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 7
RE: Drive - 7/10/2011 5:40:35 PM   
Coyleone

I have to agree, Drive is already one of my favorite films. There is no way this won't become an absolute classic. There are some films that you know after just the first 10 minutes it's going to be something special, and this is one of those for me.

The car chase at the start is unlike any car chase I have ever seen in a film, It isn't full of action, but it is almost all shot from the inside of the car showing The Drivers reactions, which are completely calm and collected and played so well by Gosling.

The soundtrack is sublime, and fits so well with the film. I loved the first section of the film that concentrated on creating the relationship between the Driver and Irene (I think that was her name). I also loved the relationship between the driver and the son, really fleshing out the character and making him seem so real.

Gosling is seriously amazing in this film. Everything he does comes off as completely genuine and realistic, from the way he reacts to first meeting Irene and her son, to when he is watching the cartoon with the kid to his reaction after the hotel room scene, which was bloody (no pun intended) heart stopping to say the least. He has no backstory, but I didn't ever feel as though I needed or wanted to know anyway.

The scene shot from inside the diner, as the driver slowly approaches the window with that mask on was chilling. There where so many moments were my heart was beating so fast because of how tense it was, but this along with the elevator scene were my favorites.

The scene in the restaurant in which they discuss what is going to happen to him, and Brooks tells him he can go, but will always need to look over his shoulder was amazing. The look they exchange over the table before they go to the car said more than words could ever say.

Simply put, this is the best film I have seen in a long time.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 7/10/2011 5:53:17 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 8
RE: Drive - 8/10/2011 4:31:30 PM   
MartinBlank76

Saw it for a third time, rocked me all over again, I did not feel a moment of boredom or overkill but simply was swept up in it all over again.

And its the only film I have seen this year that I would give a resounding 10 out of 10 to. Its one of those rare films that come along very seldom and just take you over. Where every aspect of it just works perfectly in tune what you want from a film.

If I was a filmmaker, one who only ever made one film and then faded away, I would be content with this being my one film. Or if say I was a Michael Ciminoesque character who made one great film which the rest of his career failed to live up to, I think I could live with it if this was my one shot so to speak. Basically this is just me looking for different ways of saying what I have already said so many times, Drive is a masterpiece/classic/flipping greatness up on screen.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 9
RE: Drive - 12/10/2011 7:02:27 PM   
Coyleone

^^^ I completely agree. Just awesomeness from start to end. I love everything about this movie.

Post #: 10
RE: Drive - 12/12/2011 2:51:42 PM   
azzman1984

I watched Drive yesterday and i fucking loved it

There's a sequel to the book which is called Driven coming out next year http://www.slashfilm.com/read-sequel-drive-april-2012/#disqus_thread

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 11
RE: Drive - 14/12/2011 2:57:44 PM   
messiahtime

I'm going to have to watch this movie, to see what you are all barking about :D

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 12
RE: Drive - 14/12/2011 5:52:21 PM   
Saltire

Yeah watched it last night and is probably my best US film of the year that I've seen (not that there's been too much competition there tbh). There is something different about it; Gosling's character reminded me of Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter or Pale Rider in which he moves from place to place righting wrongs and never settling. Think I'll watch it again before the end of the year.

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 13
RE: Drive - 19/12/2011 5:52:25 PM   
azzman1984

I found this good article on why Drive deserves a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=85215

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14
RE: Drive - 20/12/2011 11:35:01 AM   
Spaldron

I hope they don't film a sequel. As much as I'd like to see what The Kid gets up too next it would probably never live up to the original.

(in reply to azzman1984)
Post #: 15
RE: Drive - 21/12/2011 7:58:34 AM   
messiahtime

Seen it enjoyed, probably going to have to watch it again to see why it is clearly a big shout on here for movie of the year!! :D liked the understated quiteness of it though!! :D

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 16
RE: Drive - 27/1/2012 9:54:37 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

just watched this, really enjoyed it

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 17
RE: Drive - 27/1/2012 10:31:39 PM   
Whistler

My blu-ray copy is currently in transit. Can't wait to watch it again

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 18
RE: Drive - 27/1/2012 10:36:46 PM   
Scott_

I just watched this aswell, it's fucking fantastic. It had me hooked right from the start, the mood and atmosphere are hypnotic. Awesome soundtrack too.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 19
RE: Drive - 28/1/2012 2:24:15 PM   
evil bill

Another film now added to my growing Blu-Ray collection,and one of my top ten favorite films of last year;

DRIVE (2011)

Driver(Ryan Gosling) is a Hollywood stunt performer by day who moonlights as a wheelman for hire,steering getaway vehicles for armed heists by night. Though a loner by nature,he can't help falling in love with his beautiful neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan), a vulnerable young mother dragged into a dangerous underworld by the return of her ex-convict husband Standard (Oscar Isaac).Driver helps Standard in a heist intended to pay off Standard's protection money,but this all  goes wrong and spins Driver into a dark underworld of violence and a syndicate of deadly serious criminals who will stop at noting.He realizes that the gangsters are after more than the bag of cash from the heist in his trunk,and that they're coming straight for Irene and her son.

This is no Fast and Furious action/road film,no this is a slow burner,yet gripping heist thriller,that in it's first half,borrows heavily from Michael Mann's visual display in Heat.And that super cool cinematography and atmosphere,is helped by one hell of a 80s inspired synthesiser haunting soundtrack.But by the second half we feel we are watching a Gasper Noe film with it's hardcore ultra violence,which is done in chillingly slow mo,and gives it a very realistic raw feel,that in the hands of a lesser director would look out of place.But Nicolas Winding Refn(Bronson,Valhalla Rising) knows how to tell a story,and for his first Hollywood backed film,this is a superb all engrossing entry into mainstream??,though to be honest this is far more Arthouse.

On a massive plus side,there is an outstanding,haunting performance from Ryan Gosling (Fracture,The Notebook),who we are kept in the dark of where he came from,and what are his character Driver's capabilities.He seems to be to quiet,and though we learn right away he's smart,and one hell of a driver,we still feel he's getting in to deep.But as the film becomes darker we see Driver can stand up to the thugs,and is more than capable of dealing out violence also.In a way it reminded me of History Of Violence,where the quiet man,is badly misjudged by killers,and turn's the tables on them,yet we know this is not where he wants to be.Or is it that Driver also has a darker past than what is first suggested,or like Travis in Taxi Driver,is he just some guy that you dare not push to close to the flame.This whole untold story is never explained,and again this works as you are pulled deeper into the film,and never feel you need some flashback moments to spoil the fun.

Also Carey Mulligan as the his neighbor Irene is perfect in her role,as a mother of a young child,who's husband has got them in serious debt and danger.She plays the damsel in distress,without it feeling ham,and also she is a woman who finds love but knows it can never be,and this deep sadness is etched on her face from the moment Driver comes into her life.This is top notch acting,with even more great acting added to this mix,like Albert Brooks playing against type as a cutthroat crime lord,in what has to be one of his best roles,and Ron Perlman who plays his butthead psycho partner.And they are just the main actors,the kid,the employer and a few others that have little to no screen time,are also a big part of a brilliant cast.

Be warned as i said earlier this is a full on 18 cert,when the violence kicks in,it is very stylized but full on brutal,with a girl having her head blown off with a shot gun,and a guy having his head kicked in big time.Some might feel it's goes to far in scenes like these,but for my money the whole story leads to this point of no return,where men of violence don't give a shit who they kill or hurt.Where only in the end there's no real happy endings for those caught up in extreme violence,and where the the law of the street is all to powerful.This film ends on a low note make no mistake,yet you know in your heart Driver had no choice in the end,and the same goes for the director,and so we have a classic spellbinding film aimed at adults.9/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 20
RE: Drive - 29/1/2012 3:43:33 PM   
Whistler

Just watched it again - absolutely stunning. It honestly is a travesty that it didn't even get a nod for Best Picture at the Oscars.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: Drive - 29/1/2012 3:52:28 PM   
davie_rfc

Don't know what to add that Martin already hasn't wrote

Incredible film! Refn is definetly one of my favourite directors of the moment after giving us Bronson, Valhalla Rising and now this! Seem's to be a trait of his to include a badass "force of nature" as the main character.

Brilliant cast, beautifully shot, great plot and performances.

Stylish, cool and yet also quite sad.

This is the movie The Transporter wishes it could have been!

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 22
RE: Drive - 29/1/2012 6:26:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

My copy is one the way too and I will be watching it for a second time upon arrival. Def one of the top ten films of last year.

A real throw back thriller, with a tight and tense plot brilliantly offset by a ratro score and stunning visuals.

Gosling delivers one of the best performances of the last year, his turn is so well contained and built up. He is convincing as a cold, yet shy loner, but retains that edge thoughout, his character changes almost with Gosling doing that much to change his appearence or actions, that is the mark of a great actor. The support cast are finely selected making up a list of great character actors.

Like some of Fridkin's boldest films, it is a mority tale exploring violence and the human mind. It is a stand out cult gem in the making.

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 23
RE: Drive - 31/1/2012 6:12:21 PM   
dannyfletch

A truly excellent film. I watched Drive after pre-ordering the blu-ray and love it!

After hearing all the hype, I did start to think that surely it can't be that good but it was and more! Ryan Gosling is very good in this ( not sure I would agree he's better than Steve McQueen though! ) and gives an excellent performance with limited dialogue.
Nicholas Winding Refn is without doubt one of the best up and coming directors of the century and this along with Valhalla Rising ( another of my all time favourites ) shows off his bold, unique and extraordinary film making talents.
From the opening scenes in which our Driver, known as the kid, is introduced to us doing a getaway job for two armed robbers backed by the one of the coolest soundtracks ever, the film instantly sets the perfect tone for what's about to come. As I have briefly mentioned, Gosling's performance is excellent and he plays one of the coolest characters ( although a bit of a psycho ) in movie history, using the limited dialogue to great effect which builds an air of mystery around him. It becomes pretty clear that he is a man who plays by his own rules and as we get further in it becomes more apparent that he is not to be fucked with!
Albert Brooks also gives a superb performance as the tough, ruthless Mafia boss and shows us what an actor of his calibre is capable of after seeing him usually play likeable, good guy roles throughout most of his career.
The main story about Driver befriending a single mum and kid while the husband is locked up in prison is also perfectly done and draws you in instantly. As the story unfolds and the husband is released and back with his wife and kid we get the feeling that things are going to start going wrong and when it does the film turns from a touching family in crisis situation to a very violent but gripping thriller and our mysterious character seems to have the very dark secret of being a highly efficient killer.
Although we never find out his background, it is pretty obvious that the kid comes from a dark and violent past, and that mysterious attribute works perfectly.
Everything about this film is absolutely spot on, from the performances, cast, cinematography, soundtrack and brutal violence it definitely makes it to the top of my list for best film of 2011 and is also now one of my all time favourites.
I wouldn't mind seeing a follow up/sequel to this as long as Refn is back in the directors chair!
It would therefore be rude not to give this amazing film 10/10

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 24
RE: Drive - 1/2/2012 1:46:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Further to my comments in unpopular opinion, i'd like to reiterate that i was slightly let down by the viloence in this film. People had compared it to Marturs (in terms of violence) which i have to totally laugh at now (so off the mark!) and said that the violence was very graphic. Not at all, i found the violence to be very tame compared to what i was expecting and most of it is offscreen anyway. This is a great movie, excellent in the way it is made, even if the story isn't very fresh.

Would've been a different movie with Jason Statham in the lead role

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 25
RE: Drive - 1/2/2012 1:48:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: davie_rfc

This is the movie The Transporter wishes it could have been!

Ha ha, i did think about the similarities and whilst i disagree with your comment (which i'm sure is a joke anyways ) It would be an interesting double bill to do Drive with any of the Transporter films. One is the indie approach, the other is not!

(in reply to davie_rfc)
Post #: 26
RE: Drive - 1/2/2012 5:16:57 PM   
dannyfletch

as it's not in a competition to be the most violent film, I thought it was violent enough without going OTT

Post #: 27
RE: Drive - 1/2/2012 6:01:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

well obviously it's not in a competition, i was just expecting a bit more. Not that it affects the quality of this superb film!

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 28
RE: Drive - 1/2/2012 7:53:20 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I've definately seen more graphic violence on film but it still shocked or maybe surprised me if anything. Mostly down to the film initially setting him up as a quiet loner but genuinely nice guy, in his interactions with the mother and child. I suppose a life in crime is very much a violent one and I think it home that the guy had a dark side that was hinted at only once before I think in the cafe.

Got to mention the soundtrack which complemented the film perfectly, the opening scene of the robbery and getaway with that baseline just oozed cool.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 1/2/2012 7:55:04 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: Drive - 2/2/2012 1:22:25 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Would've been a shit movie with Jason Statham in the lead role

Fixed that for you.

Just realised something, the jacket Driver wears is white satin....

.....Knights In White Satin anyone?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Drive Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI