Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Warrior - The New Shawshank

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Warrior - The New Shawshank Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Warrior - The New Shawshank - 27/9/2011 11:43:08 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: victoryvs

The New Shawshank yeah! Because like Shawshank it is being ignored at the box office. Like Shawshank it will stay with you long after you've seen it. Like Shawshank its got a riveting storyline, like Shawshank it has superb performances, like Shawshank it will move you, like Shawshank it will speak to you, like Shawshank every scene matters, like Shawshank it will leave you fulfilled & like Shawshank you wont get tired of seeing it again and again, so do yourself a favour & go see it at the cinema & stop it from being the new Shawshank at least in terms of box office. It is a classic, dont miss it.

A one post positive review!Fantastic!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to victoryvs)
Post #: 31
RE: Warrior - 27/9/2011 11:48:21 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: victoryvs

The New Shawshank yeah! Because like Shawshank it is being ignored at the box office. Like Shawshank it will stay with you long after you've seen it. Like Shawshank its got a riveting storyline, like Shawshank it has superb performances, like Shawshank it will move you, like Shawshank it will speak to you, like Shawshank every scene matters, like Shawshank it will leave you fulfilled & like Shawshank you wont get tired of seeing it again and again, so do yourself a favour & go see it at the cinema & stop it from being the new Shawshank at least in terms of box office. It is a classic, dont miss it.

This isn't being ignored at the box office and as good as it is, its no Shawshank.

So you wrong.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to victoryvs)
Post #: 32
RE: Warrior - 27/9/2011 11:54:22 PM   
thetruth

Ive seen reviews of Shawshank with less use of the word Shawshank!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 33
RE: Warrior - 28/9/2011 12:04:02 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Hmmm yes, the guy does like to Shank his Shaw often....

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 34
RE: Warrior - 28/9/2011 12:32:48 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Hmmm yes, the guy does like to Shank his Shaw often....

Shaw his Shank surely??

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 35
RE: Warrior - 28/9/2011 12:49:48 AM   
Quint

For me this film has a lot of good/interesting elements but I feel its not quite a great whole. I thought the performances were universally excellent and Hardy was scarily huge. The fights were brutal, sweaty and viscerally exciting, but the plot threads bounced around a little too much for my liking, leaving the film feeling disjointed - the odd sojourn to Iraq for example. I guess I felt it was one plot contrivance too far. Despite knowing how this film would end it was still an entertaining journey getting there and all in all a solid film.  3/5

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 36
No Nick Notle mention - 28/9/2011 5:26:42 PM   
djimi42

Good review and agree it was a cracking film - although it does frustrate me a tad when you have negative points in the verdict of a 5 star review but that's just me. My only gripe is that Nick Notle does not get a mention. His performance was epic!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 37
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 29/9/2011 1:08:23 PM   
Wild about Wilder

It was just too unbeleavable for words that Joel"THE HUMAN PUNCHBAG"Edgerton's character who was 2nd rate to start of with a career record of less than 0.500 could survive those 4 beatdowns in the space of 2 days & as for the ending overly sentimental doesn't come close. Wonder if this was done before Inception came out with them thinking Joel was going to be the breakout star?
Would've liked to see Hardy vs Angles character though.

(in reply to djimi42)
Post #: 38
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 29/9/2011 3:49:51 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

It was just too unbeleavable for words that Joel"THE HUMAN PUNCHBAG"Edgerton's character who was 2nd rate to start of with a career record of less than 0.500 could survive those 4 beatdowns in the space of 2 days

Hope you never watch Rocky.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 39
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 29/9/2011 5:00:07 PM   
kumar

Surprised to see this come out to a good reception. I saw on the side of the bus a tagline describing "All the Rockys rolled into one!!" and was completely turned off by it.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 40
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 30/9/2011 11:51:49 AM   
Wild about Wilder

But at least there was a far less sugary & truthfull ending.
Untill it did so well & they decided to do a sequel.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 41
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 30/9/2011 12:16:25 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

But at least there was a far less sugary & truthfull ending.
Untill it did so well & they decided to do a sequel.

Warrior's ending was anything but sugary and truthful. More sincere and honest, were you watching the same film as me or do you have no heart?

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 42
RE: No Nick Notle mention - 2/10/2011 4:31:42 PM   
tjf00

Very good film but think the 5 stars is definitely too much. More the result of Empire's (fairly well justified) man crush on Tom Hardy than the quality of the film. Acting was excellent, Hardy is something of a machine and pretty much cacking myself at the thought of him as Bane in The Dark Knight Rise. Could have done without some of the cheesier scenes - apart from the scenes he shared with Edgerton at the start, Kevin Dunn should have been cut from the film-  all the school set scenes near the end were horrific. The last 20 mins or so of the film were simply spectacular though and the final fight scene was both emotional and uplifting - a great end to a good film.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 43
RE: Warrior - The New Shawshank - 4/10/2011 10:19:11 AM   
Timon

Saw this last night with the girlfriend and we both loved it. In fact, I'm not ashamed to say I was a tad emotional at the end.

One of the year's best in my opinion.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 44
RE: Actually Air Punched Nearly Applauded At End - 6/10/2011 9:39:40 AM   
Paul2j

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike

quote:

First of all UFC and MMA is an ugly sport unlike boxing which is much more civilized but that's a matter of opinion.

It is a metter of opinion. Of which yours is ignorant & misinformed.

Agree - the 'ugly' quote compared to the quote of 'civilized' for boxing is absolutely laughable.

MMA is better regulated, a LOT safer (due to the officiating) and a LOT less likely to result in permanent injury due to impact not being concentrated to one's head. I have yet to come across anyone who rolls out such comments who has any idea what they're talking about.

Awesome film, easy 9/10 and it's pushing a 10. Boom.

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 45
TomHARDY LEGEND - 16/10/2011 12:23:54 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

HARDY NEVER GETS TIRED OF THIS SHIT

Post #: 46
Loved It - 22/12/2011 4:08:44 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Better than "The Fighter". The two leads are amazing, as is Nolte. This deserves a spot among the "Best Sports Movies Ever".

Post #: 47
Total Film!? - Total Idiots! - 31/1/2012 11:32:26 AM   
guysalisbury

Warrior is Epic! Way better than The Fighter! Hardy (who in my opinion, along with Gosling is the best actor around at the moment) is amazing, so is Nolte (hope he gets the Oscar!). This is a must see!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 48
Overrated - 7/2/2012 8:44:30 AM   
ladybooger

rented this solely on the basis of Tom Hardy whom I am a huge fan of. I didn't think this was better than the fighter largely because the it was a little far-fetched. Also the back story was a little vague. I wanted to know exactly what Nolte did to estrange his family so much. It could have delved deeper. Tom Hardy, I agree, is still the best actor around at the moment.

Post #: 49
Overrated - 7/2/2012 8:44:31 AM   
ladybooger

rented this solely on the basis of Tom Hardy whom I am a huge fan of. I didn't think this was better than the fighter largely because the it was a little far-fetched. Also the back story was a little vague. I wanted to know exactly what Nolte did to estrange his family so much. It could have delved deeper. Tom Hardy, I agree, is still the best actor around at the moment.

Post #: 50
Warrior - 21/2/2012 10:10:25 PM   
S. C. Lee

< Message edited by S. C. Lee -- 21/2/2012 10:15:07 PM >

Post #: 51
Excellent Warrior - 23/2/2012 10:17:25 PM   
lynnshep

Well written, well acted, well directed. Great fight scenes. An outstanding film. Love Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy. Where are the Oscar noms for them?

Post #: 52
Unexpected - 24/2/2012 9:00:30 PM   
epsnarky

I was doubtful about seeing this, as I thought it was going to be the same as other action movies or one of those bad attempts at the Rocky saga etc but was pleasantly suprised.

I spent most of the film in tears.
Loved everything about it and highly recommend.
Tom Hardy is one to watch out for.

I have one sentence for this movie:
For such a toughy, it was incredibly emotional.

Post #: 53
RE: Unexpected - 2/3/2012 1:31:19 AM   
musht

I was blown away by this movie!! I think it's easily one of the best sports movies I've ever seen because there is no defined good guy - bad guy, I really did not know who I was rooting for or how it would end. I'll be buying this

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to epsnarky)
Post #: 54
RE: Overrated - 2/3/2012 1:08:13 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: ladybooger

Really?  It's pretty obviously implied that he was an alcoholic wife and child beater.

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 55
RE: Warrior - 6/3/2012 7:20:53 PM   
Stringfellowfilms

Just watched it the other day absolutely amazing and inspiring. Great acting from the main leads especially Tom hardy. All round great film with brutal fight scenes

Post #: 56
RE: Warrior - 6/3/2012 7:23:22 PM   
Stringfellowfilms

Absolutely amazing. Great acting by the leads especially Hardy. An inspiring film with brutal fight scenes

Post #: 57
Phenomenal - 8/3/2012 12:29:43 PM   
gavlaa32

I was absolutely blown away by how good this movie was!!! I'm a UFC fan as well but I was still whincing at some of the moves on display!! Just everything about this movie was sheer excellence. The acting is absolutely top-notch by everyone involved, I didn't see any mention of Nick Nolte in this review which is surprising because he was bloody brilliant!!! Tom Hardy and Joel Edgarton are absolutely amazing in this, both there physical work and acting is just world class!!! Loved this movie!!

Post #: 58
Incredible - 1/4/2012 1:01:02 PM   
Blyman

Superior to the already brilliant Fighter in every area. The leading trio were remarkable, the direction top notch and what could on paper have been a nauseatingly cliched sports flick became something truly special. Up with Drive and Moneyball as my favourite of 2011.

Post #: 59
Raw And Memorable, Just Like The Sport - 22/4/2012 2:42:53 AM   
blaud

A somewhat disappointing trend that features very prominently in the majority of sports films around today is the complete predictability of what will happen in the final reel. Surprises are few and far between, and filmmakers attempt to rely on building up tension rather than not giving the audience what they fully expect. Warrior does tick this box but avoids the pitfalls that would make it a strictly 'average' watch by making the focus the triangle between Nolte, Hardy and Edgerton. Which is good, because this where the movie shines. Superb performances and well-judged dialogue make this a human story that has the edge of being believable, with a relationship between the three that's as spiky and aggressive as the featured sport. Well filmed and exceptionally well-choreographed fight scenes are suitably brutal and rawly portrayed, making the characters you either love or hate seem animalistic and troublingly angry, which is what makes the scenes come alive. As mentioned before, the sport aspect is just a predictable as a myriad of other sporting flicks, and it will be no surprise to anyone what the finale is, but the film gets by on its' character driven drama, which is truly excellent. Combine this with a powerful sucker-punch of an ending that truly makes you want to punch the sky, and you've a got a top-notch drama that will linger in memories for a long time.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Warrior - The New Shawshank Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI