Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
30 Minutes Or Less - 16/9/2011 2:18:46 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good apart from Danny McBride - 16/9/2011 5:23:14 PM   
Michael Dovey

I've got to agree with the review - whip smart script, likeable performances and clearly a director destined for bigger budgets and great things.

But why did it have to have McBride in it - the film was almost ruined as a result - a man the phrase one trick pony was invented for - would he have a career if he were unable to use the words f*ck or pu*sy? (I am being polite here hence the *)

Saying that apart from the vacuum of his personality it rolled along nicely and was an enjoyable hour and a quarter - if only they could have got Woody Harrelson instead....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Good apart from Danny McBride - 17/9/2011 11:33:58 PM   
Groovy Mule

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael Dovey

I've got to agree with the review - whip smart script, likeable performances and clearly a director destined for bigger budgets and great things.

But why did it have to have McBride in it - the film was almost ruined as a result - a man the phrase one trick pony was invented for - would he have a career if he were unable to use the words f*ck or pu*sy? (I am being polite here hence the *)

Saying that apart from the vacuum of his personality it rolled along nicely and was an enjoyable hour and a quarter - if only they could have got Woody Harrelson instead....

Agreed - Eisenberg and Anziri are superb and have great chemistry together.  There are also some superb one-liners that really cracked me up but like you, I hate, hate HATE Danny McBride.  I don't understand who decided that the disgusting lump was someone people wanted to watch.  His personality comes across on screen as an obnoxious narcissist.  The script is good enough to compensate for him.

7/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Michael Dovey)
Post #: 3
RE: Good apart from Danny McBride - 20/9/2011 12:43:49 PM   
thetruth

Fairly standard fare.
Agree about Mc Bride-obnoxious and annoying.
Nothing special here,but not terrible either.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 4
RE: 30 Minutes Or Less - 20/9/2011 1:05:49 PM   
adambatman82

Well, it would seem that I'm alone in that I like Danny McBride. Saw this yesterday in a double-bill with Drive, and while the latter film overshadowed it, I still had a lot of fun with 30 Minutes Or Less. It didn't half seem to drag tho, which is odd considering its only 80 minutes long.

Post #: 5
RE: 30 Minutes Or Less - 20/9/2011 3:16:54 PM   
thetruth

I know itīs a cliche now that certain people are the same in every film,but he even delivers the same lines!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 6
Not a four star film - 21/9/2011 9:47:27 PM   
bretty

The previews looked 'okay' but Empire's four star review encouraged me to go...sorry this was a very average film with some nice lines and a good pace, but it was lacking something, not quite funny enough, not quite clever enough and just......not quite.

Post #: 7
RE: Not a four star film - 22/9/2011 12:45:37 PM   
musht

Really enjoyed this, thought it was really very funny and didn't overcomplicate the plot despite the ridiculousness of it all. Disappointed to see that it's not getting more attention, have been encouraging all my friends to go see it as I honestly think they're going to enjoy it, no takers so far though which is a pity.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to bretty)
Post #: 8
30 Minutes or Less: Review - 25/9/2011 1:09:53 AM   
Edward9630

30 Minutes or Less is a very good film. The story is great, great cast and theres alot of funny scenes. Theres one scene in the film with the guy with the bomb and a police officer and I have to say, I LAUGHED SO MUCH! My only complaint about the film is there are some scenes were im just like WTF? I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 9
Brilliant, one of the best comedies of 2011 - 8/12/2011 4:07:10 PM   
lewisb548

This is a great film.
I was really looking forward to seeing this at the cinema but my local cinema stopped showing this at the last minute, so I was forced to wait awhile to get it on DVD, although Amazon told me the DVD would be realeased before christmas, it turns out the DVD comes out in January 30th 2012, fuck! I have to wait a whole month! and a bit.
I recommend this to fans of Zombieland, and to whoever is up for a good laugh.
The story is very loosely based on actual events, in which two low-lifes kidnapped a pizza boy, strapped a bomb to his chest and forced him to rob a bank, this event ended with the pizza guy getting blown up, and brutally killed.
Making a film which followed the exact same story as that would definetely be a bad film.
Fortunately the writers for this movie have spiced things up a bit, Jesse Eisenberg is the well meaning pizza guy who gets stoned on his deliveries, in which the pizza has to be delivered in, you guessed it! 30 minutes or less, or the pizza is free.
Eisenberg is best friends with Chet (Aziz Ansari), and Eisenberg is also in love with Chet's sister which causes complications between the two of them, so with a rift between the two friends, when the bomb gets strapped to Eisenbergs chest by Nick Swardson and Danny Mcbride, Eisenberg recruits the help of Chet to rob a bank, it is common factor in comedys and action movies that a life changing, potentially life threatening situation brings two people together, or in this case three, including the lovely Dilchad Vilsaria, who plays Chet's twin sister Kate.
The main problem with this film is that towards the end it runs out of steam and becomes slightly intense when it could have benefited from more fun in the film.
Theres plenty of interesting gags and a fairly happy ending for both the robbers, and Eisenberg and his pals.
The film benefits from a good cast and Eisenberg and Ansari have a lot of chemistry and are good at what they do, which, obviously is acting and being funny.
Theres a fair share of great gags, from an EPIC FAIL of a bank robbery to some hillarious banter between both Mcbride and Swarson and Ansari and Eisenberg.
This is one of my favourite films of 2011 and I award it a brilliant 9.1/10.
Funny, Fast and pretty damn entertaining, waiting till january for the DVD is too long to wait.

Post #: 10
30 Minutes Or Less - 13/8/2012 3:55:35 AM   
norgizfox

30 Minutes or Less is chalkfull of fine actors, but the script doesn't give much. Despite it's interesting premise, poor writing infused with pointless profanity and many raunchy jokes makes this sometimes a challenge to watch, if you'd prefer intelligence with your comedies. 

Post #: 11
Lame - 11/2/2013 11:49:05 AM   
Caster

Four stars? Seriously? This is lazy filmmaking 101 - surprising since Zombieland was so great. There are exactly two jokes in the whole movie, the cast are all phoning it in, the script is all over the place...oh dear.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 30 Minutes Or Less Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI