Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Scotts Top 21 films!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Scotts Top 21 films! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/9/2011 8:40:30 PM   
Scott_

Snake, who/what the fuck is Sergio?

Time for the next entry if anyone is still interested, there will be SPOILERS ahead so you've been warned...

13. Sunshine

ďIf you wake up one morning and it's a particularly beautiful day, you'll know we made itĒ

Sunshine has the same hypnotic effect on me the Sun has on the characters in Danny Boyles sci-fi masterpiece. I know lots of critics have issues with the 3rd act but the building of suspense in the first 2 acts leading up to the ending is handled so well, we know these guys and gals are on a suicide mission and so do they so you have that tension right from the start. The tonal shift at the end is jarring and I can see why people would be disappointed. I just like the way the whole film becomes this aggressive unstoppable beast when Pinbacker boards the Icarus II with the shakier camera movements and the tighter editing to mirror whats going down in the story, it just works for me. I wonít deny the ending isnít as strong as what came before and it does appear that nobody knew where to take the story when they come across Icarus 1 but I still think itís great. Itís the same with 28 Days Later now Iím thinking about it; the stuff in the house while good isnít as good as what came before it....must be an Alex Garland thing. Who knows?

Anyway, Sunshine is also gorgeous to look at. It might be the best looking film on my list. The passing of Mercury is a stand-out moment along with Kanedas death. I absolutely LOVE the score too, the visuals and the music complement each other so much, itís fucking awesome!

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 61
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/9/2011 8:42:20 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I haven't seen SUNSHINE. I will do soon.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 62
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/9/2011 8:52:04 PM   
Scott_

Good, glad to hear it dude. Now who is this Sergio? He looks delightful.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 63
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/9/2011 10:41:44 PM   
MovieAddict247

I adore Sunshine (except the final part with the stupid bad guy). The rest of it is great - it looks stunning. Kaneda's death is my favourite part (same as you - great minds think alike ) - the music is perfect and the whole sequence is amazing.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 64
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 17/9/2011 5:37:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Se7en is fantastic, as is Sunshine but I haven't seen that since the cinema.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 65
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 17/9/2011 9:53:53 AM   
matty_b

Sunshine is great and I really don't have as much a problem with the ending that others do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 66
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 3:43:19 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I adore Sunshine (except the final part with the stupid bad guy). The rest of it is great - it looks stunning. Kaneda's death is my favourite part (same as you - great minds think alike) - the music is perfect and the whole sequence is amazing.

Damn right!

Time for the next one or maybe two.

12. The Rock

ďWelcome to the Rock.Ē

Thereís not much else to say about The Rock that hasnít been said elsewhere but when given a good script The Rock is what Michael Bay is capable off, a focused, fast paced, witty action thriller up there with the very best. The cast is awesome, you got Sean Connery being a badass, Nicolas being Nicolas Cage, Ed Harris as your bad guy along with the always cool Michael Biehn, Tony Todd and David Morse amongst others. All those dudes make any film better wherever they pop up. You get all your standard Michael Bay moments here, Helicopters, sunsets, spinning cameras and lots of explosions, the action is superbly directed (obviously) and there is never a boring moment, everything happens for a reason so no time is wasted here, a habit Bay (well, his scriptwriters) needs to discover again. The Rock is ace from start to finish, if you like action youíll like The Rock.

Post #: 67
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 4:59:01 PM   
matty_b

The Rock = Michael Bay's sole tolerable film. Very good in fact.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 68
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 7:21:54 PM   
Scott_

11. The Thing

ďI know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.Ē

Again theres not much left to say about this film that hasnít already been said, its a frakkiní masterpiece and is up there with Alien as a perfect horror film. Not being alive when it was released I find it hard to believe it wasnít a hit, what the hell were people watching in 1982 that was better than this!?

Where do I start praising this film? Itís all so awesome...The cast are all great (I include the dogs here too), the fear and mistrust the Ďthingí breeds is apparent on all their faces as the film goes on. Carpenter is at the top of his game with the moody visuals, suspense and a constant sense of paranoia Ė the blood test is one of the finest sequences ever committed to film and if you disagree then you are wrong and we can no longer be friends. I canít finish before mentioning the incredible special effects, nearly 30 years later and they still look awesome, the level of skill shown to create those nightmares is amazing. So yeah, brilliant film and if youíve not had the pleasure of watching it then I suggest you make some changes in your life.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 69
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 7:45:21 PM   
matty_b

Well, it's OK, I guess.

lokjk it's amazing and everyone should vote for it in the HoF.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 70
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 7:50:34 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Good, glad to hear it dude. Now who is this Sergio? He looks delightful.

Pm'd my brother!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 71
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 7:58:01 PM   
Con Broccolli

quote:

11. The Thing

"I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.Ē

Again theres not much left to say about this film that hasn't already been said, its a frakkin' masterpiece and is up there with Alien as a perfect horror film. Not being alive when it was released I find it hard to believe it wasn't a hit, what the hell were people watching in 1982 that was better than this!?

Where do I start praising this film? It's all so awesome...The cast are all great (I include the dogs here too), the fear and mistrust the 'thing' breeds is apparent on all their faces as the film goes on. Carpenter is at the top of his game with the moody visuals, suspense and a constant sense of paranoia Ė the blood test is one of the finest sequences ever committed to film and if you disagree then you are wrong and we can no longer be friends. I can't finish before mentioning the incredible special effects, nearly 30 years later and they still look awesome, the level of skill shown to create those nightmares is amazing. So yeah, brilliant film and if you've not had the pleasure of watching it then I suggest you make some changes in your life.

You couldn't be more right here. That shot of the dog walking down the corridor towards camera just after its been infected and entering a room is one of the creepiest shots of the film. An amazing performance for a mutt An awesome film.

And the Rock is freaking fantastic too. Michael Bay is a grade A action director when he gets it right. a very very exciting finale.

"I was building a house. I don't deserve this!"
"Deserves got nuthin to do with it"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 72
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 8:38:38 PM   
Snake-Eyes

THE ROCK, THE THING both 5/5 Classics!!

(in reply to Con Broccolli)
Post #: 73
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/9/2011 9:08:25 PM   
Piles

Good stuff so far. Lots of stuff I enjoy. Sunshine particularly I think is underrated when we talk about Boyle's best film.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 74
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 19/9/2011 9:14:10 PM   
evil bill

quote:

13. Sunshine

Anyway, Sunshine is also gorgeous to look at. It might be the best looking film on my list. The passing of Mercury is a stand-out moment along with Kanedas death. I absolutely LOVE the score too, the visuals and the music complement each other so much, it's fucking awesome!

Awesome about sums it up,helped kick start the Sci/Fi genre??
quote:

12. The Rock

A Micheal Bay film i bought and also like nearly as much as Bad Boys
quote:

11. The Thing

Now i was expecting this to be in your top five at least,how wrong am i,still good short and to the point write up of a Carpenter classic,and for me the best remake ever.And yes the effects still look awesome,but lets not forget what a great cast and director can bring to a story of this caliber.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 75
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/10/2011 3:37:01 PM   
gazpop

Interesting list so far Scott. Sorry about your pooch mate. Very sad. Hope ur getting through.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 76
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/10/2011 7:59:50 PM   
Scott_

I really should get back on this....I'd say I forgot but it's in my sig so thats no excuse but I'll stick with it anyway. Whoops.

Right, so far we have...

21. Bad Boys II
20. Vanishing Point
19. The Assassination of Jesse James
18. District 9 (Should be higher but I've come too far...)
17. Black Hawk Down
16. The Getaway
15. Dawn of the Dead (Romero)
14. Seven
13. Sunshine
12. The Rock
11. The Thing

So on to the top 10....and at number 10 we have....

10. Versus

"I didn't mean to save you. They just pissed me off"

This was the first piece foreign cinema I saw (followed by Battle Royale Ė crazy double bill right here!) and itís definitely not the best film on my list but itís certainly a favourite. After I saw Versus I was obsessed with films like Ichi the Killer, Happiness of the Katakuris and Story of Ricky, I loved the imagination and how completely fucked most of them were. Anways, the film is insane, I honestly couldnít tell you what the hell is going on half the time, thereís something about portals, a forest of resurrection and the yakuza. Lots of imagination here. Itís got zombies, assassins, people getting dead in violent ways and itís completely fucking awesome, pretty funny too, the guy with Mike Tyson reflexes always gets a laugh as does the main yakuza guy (nobody has a name...) with the butterfly knife. Iím not sure what else I can say, I love it for the insanity and it must be watched!

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Interesting list so far Scott. Sorry about your pooch mate. Very sad. Hope ur getting through.

Cheers gaz. I'm good thanks, t'was a hard thing to do but I didn't want the old lad to suffer so it had to be done. We had some good times.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 77
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/10/2011 8:30:06 PM   
Scott_

No Versus fans then? Thats cool...

Anyway, time for the next entry for those still interested. At number nine we have....

9. Predator

"If it bleeds, we can kill it"

I was torn between The Terminator or Predator for my favourite Arnie entry on the list but as you can see, I went for Predator in the end. The Terminator is great and they have similar survival themes that appeal to me but I prefer the actual jungle in Predator over the urban jungle of The Terminator. The simplest of plots (Rescue hostages, kill bad guys) turns into one of the most pure, badass action films youíre ever likely to see as Arnie and his team of gruff, manly men are hunted by a super cool hunter from outer space. Predator is made of pure champion stuff, its very quotable, great action, a good score and lots of violence (a recurring theme in my list...) and a fucking awesome cast of characters. Dutch, Billy, Mac, Blain etc are quite possibly the most gruff, manly men ever captured on film.

The Predator itself is also cool character, and what makes it so cool? We donít see much of it until the last act, it remains an invisible threat for most of Predators run time, teasing us with its badass weaponry, the mimicking of human voices, we get a build-up of the character and we are rewarded with a smack down between Arnie and the Predator. I always enjoy man vs nature (or in this case, monster) stuff, itís something about survival against the odds that makes for a good watch and combine that with some sci-fi goodness and you got me hooked so yeah, excellent film and Arnieís best.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 78
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 16/10/2011 10:28:09 PM   
MovieAddict247

Never heard of Versus...

Predator is all kinds of fantastic though.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 79
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 17/10/2011 8:15:05 PM   
Scott_

You should check Versus out, it's all over the place but its loads of fun.

Post #: 80
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 18/10/2011 7:24:18 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I remember watching VERSUS when it first hit our shores - crazy film! Good fun though. PREDATOR... I don't have to add anything here. As I mentioned in my All Time Top 20 countdown - if you're a fan of Action Films, you're a fan of PREDATOR. It really is that simple. It's an untouchable classic that I can watch again and again.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 81
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 20/10/2011 3:07:26 PM   
Scott_

Next entry...

8. Hard Boiled

"Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God."

Hard Boiled one the best action films ever made and still the best thing to come out of Hong Kong. It takes around 5 minutes for us to an idea of what John Woo has in store for us with a shoot-out in a Cafe, awesomely choreographed action sequences take precedence over small details like story here and itís probably one of the few films that can actually get away with it because the action is so well executed, the little bits of story we get are just enough to move the plot along to the next action sequence without ruining the pace.

Never in a film have so many people been shot in the kneecaps, guns donít run out of ammo, thereís a ridiculous amount of diving in and out of cover, it has a body count you lose track of in the first 10 minutes and so much slow motion it would make Zack Snyder jealous. Itís glorious. Chow Yun Fat made himself my hero here, dodging bullets, chewing cocktail sticks and erm...playing the clarinet. Tequila is a badass up there with Snake Plissken and The Man with No Name in halls of cinemas finest heroes.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 82
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 20/10/2011 3:22:45 PM   
Rhubarb

I don't think it is even John Woo's best film, but it is brilliant.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 83
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 20/10/2011 3:27:17 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I don't think it is even John Woo's best film, but it is brilliant.

I don't think it is even John Woo's best film, but it is very good.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 84
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 20/10/2011 3:40:54 PM   
Scott_

There is literally nothing better than Hard Boiled...apart from the next 7 films on my list.

Are you both 'The Killer' fans? Bullet in the Head? A Better Tomorrow? All awesome but not as awesome as Hard Boiled.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 85
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 20/10/2011 3:50:32 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeah, I'd put The Killer above it, possibly A Better Tomorrow as well.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 86
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Scotts Top 21 films! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI