Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Scotts Top 21 films!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Scotts Top 21 films! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:03:19 PM   
Scott_

17. Black Hawk Down

“Nobody asks to be a hero, sometimes it just turns out that way”

Intense is what Black Hawk Down is after we have 20 odd minutes of getting to know the soldiers and their situation we have 2 hours of intense fire fights, explosion and lots of the red stuff it’s a real assault on the senses. The pace is relentless right to the very end but despite all the chaos and the number of different storys the film follows, I never felt lost...I just know Ridley has it under control. The sun-drenched visuals are incredible as you’d expect from a master like Ridley Scott it looks dirty, epic and fucking horrific all at the same time. I’d mention specific action sequences that stand out for me but truth be told its all one long action sequence and there is always something interesting happening so I couldn’t pick one.  Quick mention of the excellent cast, loads of recognisable names that would take forever to acknowledge so I’ll say Eric Bana is the standout badass here along with the always cool William Fichtner and it’s probably Tom Sizemores last decent role. I even enjoyed Ewan McGregor and his bloody coffee. Great Hans Zimmer score aswell.

Black Hawk Down is one of those films I would LOVE to watch at the Cinema, the experience would be awesome. You’d come out feeling like you were there with those guys. Ridley Scott has crafted a thrilling, emotional war film that has no equal.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 31
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:09:52 PM   
Scott_

Balls, I've put things in the wrong order now...Oh well. The 2 that follow BHD should come before...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 32
Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:09:59 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Scottie! You tellin' me you never got to see this AWESOMENESS on the BIG screen? Aw, duuuuude! I LOVE BLACK HAWK DOWN!  I remember I went to see it straight after giving blood - not a good idea; I swear I was feeling even more dizzy and light-headed during THAT operating scene! Yep, definitely a classic, up there amongst Ridley's best. Stands proudly alongside SAVING PRIVATE RYAN in terms of punishingly realistic combat brought to gritty life. Mate, you've just inspired me to pop in the blu-ray when I get home.

*edited by moi*
I must add that I believe the CALL OF DUTY games owe more than a little to this film...

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 12/9/2011 8:11:51 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 33
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:11:32 PM   
matty_b

It's characters are non-existent and has some dodgy politics but as an immersive experience into war, BHD is really quite something.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 34
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:13:38 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

Scottie! You tellin' me you never got to see this AWESOMENESS on the BIG screen? Aw, duuuuude! I LOVE BLACK HAWK DOWN!  I remember I went to see it straight after giving blood - not a good idea; I swear I was feeling even more dizzy and light-headed during THAT operating scene! Yep, definitely a classic, up there amongst Ridley's best. Stands proudly alongside SAVING PRIVATE RYAN in terms of punishingly realistic combat brought to gritty life. Mate, you've just inspired me to pop in the blu-ray when I get home.

Snake-Eyes! Give blood!? I was under the impression you only took it...By force. Haha.

Nah man, never got a chance to watch this on the big screen. I wasn't too into my films when BHD was released. I was young and foolish.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 35
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:16:49 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

It's characters are non-existent and has some dodgy politics but as an immersive experience into war, BHD is really quite something.

Aye, very pro-america. Not suprising really but I'm not well versed in these things at all, I deal with the explosions and bullets.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:19:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Snake-Eyes! Give blood!? I was under the impression you only took it...By force. Haha.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 37
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:20:14 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ah.... I'll be honest with ya Scottie - I only did it to impress a young lady I had my (snake) eye on in college. And guess what? It worked

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 38
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:26:45 PM   
Scott_

Ah! Makes sense. Well played sir.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 39
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:30:54 PM   
Rhubarb

"Hey sexy mama, want to come watch me give blood? Then we can watch the new Ridley Scott! Then maybe back to your place for some sexytimes?"

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 12/9/2011 8:34:56 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 40
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 8:32:35 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Ah! Makes sense. Well played sir.

*ahem!* yes, well moving on swiftly...!

I also agree with you about Zimmer's score - beautiful.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 41
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 12/9/2011 9:46:53 PM   
Scott_

16. The Getaway

“Listen, now I know you’re a good kid. Now, get back there with your mother because if you don’t, I’m gonna break your little arm. Okay?”

Steve McQueen is cool. Fact. Everyone knows this and he’s no different in The Getaway where he’s at his laconic best. McQueen’s Doc McCoy is a bank robber who speaks only when he needs to and he walks the line somewhere in-between good and bad. The lack of a straight up ‘good guy’ along with Peckinpah’s direction and attention to detail and realism gives The Getaway a proper hard-assed edge.
The film is pretty slow paced by today’s standards (not a bad thing though) but when the action breaks out it’s worth it. Peckinpah is great with the balls out violence and while it doesn’t hit The Wild Bunch heights in terms of bloodshed it’s a damn good heist flick nonetheless.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 42
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 12:16:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

District 9 and Black Hawk Down are both excellent.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 43
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 3:08:10 PM   
Scott_

15. Dawn of the Dead (78)

“We got this man! We got this by the ass!”

Bit of a later comer to this beast. Saw a trailer for Zack Snyders (great) remake (along with a Shaun of the Dead trailer) and I was hooked on zombies after seeing it and a few days before release of the Dawn remake BBC2 were showing Romeros classic zombie trilogy so I recorded them, gave em’ a watch and instantly thought Dawn was the best film ever. I watched it so much I wore out the video I’d recorded it on. Anyways the more I started to get into films and the more I understood I started to think Day of the Dead was better (it might be...its the bleakness, theres a serious lack of hope in that film!) and I would be tempted to put that here instead of Dawn but this holds a special place in my heart so it’s gotta go on the list. I invested in the awesome 4 discer DVD set a while ago and found myself preferring Dario Argentos cut of the film to Romeros, it’s more focused on the horror aspect and is a much tighter film than Romeros edit but either way its a great film.
Yeah, its not aged well with  the cheap (but awesome) effects and the blue tinted zombies but it’s got character and theres nothing quite like it, even with the better tools at his disposal nowadays good ol’ George has not even come close to making a film with the same sort of quality as Dawn of the Dead. It’s genius, its crazy, not all of it works but I love it.
Gotta mention the Goblin score too, t’is amazing.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 44
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 3:22:57 PM   
matty_b

Another brilliant choice.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 45
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 3:26:33 PM   
Scott_

Cheers dude.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 46
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 5:42:55 PM   
evil bill

quote:

20. Vanishing Point

"Hey Kowalski, you out there?”

Loaded on "Ups” Kowalski bets he can drive from San Francisco to Denver in 15 hours and thats the simple set-up to the greatness that is Vanishing Point.

Cool. That's how I would describe Vanishing Point. You got the roar of that gorgeous 70 Dodge Challenger (best car ever) acting as your soundtrack across the desert highways of America, speed is freedom here. What we have is basically a 90 minute chase film that the action directors of today wouldn't have the patience to pull off. We are spoiled with beautiful cinematography with wide shots, shots that last for more than a second and we still get that sense of speed and danger without the need for editing tourettes. I remember watching this with my mate on one his movie nights as a double bill with Easy Rider, he's an Easy Rider kinda guy but I'm all about Kowalski and his badass adventure across California. If you've not seen Vanishing Point before I highly recommend you get your hands on it.

Great Scott 
I love this film,i've reviewed it on The Strange/Weird thread not so long ago,a forgotten cult classic/stoner film/high octane chase road movie.

21. Bad Boys II
  Liked the first but number two,well the CGI looked like CGI and spoilt it for me,i like real stunts not fake.Still a decent action film.
19. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Great western,great cast and well directed,but and what a long title.
18. District 9

This is awesome on Blu-Ray,and one of the best Sci/Fi films of this decade.And the CGI looks real.
17. Black Hawk Down Well it's Ridley Scott's stab at a war film,and it put's you right in the line of fire,just awesome,and yes great score.
16. The Getaway  Another cult classic from the 70's,i'm well impressed, one of Sam Peckinpah's best films,great story fine acting.
quote:

15. Dawn of the Dead (78)
I invested in the awesome 4 discer DVD set a while ago and found myself preferring Dario Argentos cut of the film to Romeros, it’s more focused on the horror aspect and is a much tighter film than Romeros edit but either way its a great film.

Gotta mention the Goblin score too, t’is amazing.

Again well impressed,i only know a few people that have seen Dario Argeto's cut of Dawn ;aka ZOMBI ,and fully agree it's a far tighter and to me more horrific version,as there's less humor.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 47
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 6:02:05 PM   
Con Broccolli

Black Hawk Down - One of the most blistering war films ever made!! Pity you missed it in the cinema, Scott. When I watched it in the cinema, there was a very very famous film director in the row in front of me - Joel Schumacher. He was shooting a film in my town at the time. And what I thought was hilarious was that he couldn't watch the field surgery scene towards the end of the movie. Granted it was brutal and even I find it hard to stomach, (simply because of the acting of the soldier that was dying - his screams were hard to listen to) but Mr Schumacher actually had to cover his eyes. Hilarious. I mean, he's a filmmaker. He knows how this stuff is done.

Dawn of the Dead - Brilliant choice but you better have some impressive films ahead, good sir, to place it this far down the list. 

"I was building a house. I don't deserve this!"
"Deserves got nuthin to do with it"

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 48
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 13/9/2011 8:17:47 PM   
Scott_

Thanks for the comments evil bill, glad to see somebody else enjoys The Getaway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Con Broccolli

Dawn of the Dead - Brilliant choice but you better have some impressive films ahead, good sir, to place it this far down the list.

Don't worry my good man, it will get more impressive. Although been this far down the list means jack, everything but the number 1 is interchangeable really. Everybody gets some love.

(in reply to Con Broccolli)
Post #: 49
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 12:24:10 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Con Broccolli

Black Hawk Down - One of the most blistering war films ever made!! Pity you missed it in the cinema, Scott. When I watched it in the cinema, there was a very very famous film director in the row in front of me - Joel Schumacher. He was shooting a film in my town at the time. And what I thought was hilarious was that he couldn't watch the field surgery scene towards the end of the movie. Granted it was brutal and even I find it hard to stomach, (simply because of the acting of the soldier that was dying - his screams were hard to listen to) but Mr Schumacher actually had to cover his eyes. Hilarious. I mean, he's a filmmaker. He knows how this stuff is done.

Ha Ha Ha! That's a cool anecdote! I would've thanked Mr. Schumacher for one of my favourite 80's Classics - THE LOST BOYS but on the other hand I would've HAD to ask about BATMAN & ROBIN, "WTF?!"  Which film was he shooting in your town CB?

Post #: 50
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 7:16:07 PM   
Con Broccolli

He was shooting Veronica Guerin at the time, Snake. He had a full entourage of producers with him. Another cool thing he did while the movie was playing was to tell someone in front of him to quieten down. Fair play to him. And the guy shut the hell up. If only that guy knew!

I'm with you on Lost Boys. Only watched it again the other night. Was obsessed with the soundtrack when it came out too (on cassette!).

Regarding Batman and Robin, he held a seminar while he was there and mentioned that he regretted his Batman movies. All he wanted to do was something different. By God, he achieved that. I think we can forgive him though - after making Falling Down as well as Lost Boys.

"I was building a house. I don't deserve this!"
"Deserves got nuthin to do with it"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 51
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 8:16:22 PM   
Scott_

14. Seven

“Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.”

“You know, this isn’t going to have a happy ending” says Detective William Somerset during David Finchers bleak, uncompromising masterpiece. No shit. Everything about Seven is awesome, it’s perfect storytelling, the pacing and the build up of suspense towards THAT ending is incredible and the cinematography is amazing. David Finchers vision with the darkness and constantly pouring rain create such an unsettling atmosphere that the city (we are never given a name as to where the events of Seven takes place, it’s probably somewhere near hell...) becomes a character itself. That’s nothing compared to some of the brutal violence that takes place though, we never see any of this violence on film as we only ever see the aftermath of John Does victims but you start to imagine what the fuck was happening to these people in your head after you’ve seen the results. It gets in your head man...

I'm doing Seven a disservice with such a short and crappy review, theres much more to it than atmosphere and violence I just don't have the skills to get it accross but like I said perfect storytelling, intelligent writing and great performances from everybody involved makes Seven one of the best thrillers of the 90's. Not my favourite Fincher though...

Post #: 52
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 8:39:55 PM   
matty_b

A nigh-on perfect film. Superb choice.

quote:

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 53
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 8:41:52 PM   
Deviation

All these films are a massive improvement on Bad Boys 2. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 54
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 8:51:48 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

All these films are a massive improvement on Bad Boys 2. 

Whatever. I only put Bad Boys II at the end to please the masses (I'm under the impression thats what you do here...along with other questionable things involving mothers...) otherwise 1 to 21 would just be Bad Boys II, no other films actually exist. I'm just stealing from other peoples lists of imaginary films.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 55
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 14/9/2011 8:58:38 PM   
Deviation

We live to please the masses and each others mother. It's the reason why this sub-forum exists.

And reminding Piles that he used to love Braveheart.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 56
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 15/9/2011 7:42:14 PM   
evil bill

quote:

14. Seven

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.”

"You know, this isn't going to have a happy ending” says Detective William Somerset during David Finchers bleak, uncompromising masterpiece. No shit. Everything about Seven is awesome, it's perfect storytelling, the pacing and the build up of suspense towards THAT ending is incredible and the cinematography is amazing. David Finchers vision with the darkness and constantly pouring rain create such an unsettling atmosphere that the city (we are never given a name as to where the events of Seven takes place, it's probably somewhere near hell...) becomes a character itself. That's nothing compared to some of the brutal violence that takes place though, we never see any of this violence on film as we only ever see the aftermath of John Does victims but you start to imagine what the fuck was happening to these people in your head after you've seen the results. It gets in your head man...

I'm doing Seven a disservice with such a short and crappy review, theres much more to it than atmosphere and violence I just don't have the skills to get it accross but like I said perfect storytelling, intelligent writing and great performances from everybody involved makes Seven one of the best thrillers of the 90's. Not my favourite Fincher though...

Not your Favorite Fincher but a classic,so i take it there's another Fincher film a little higher up the list.As for your crappy review,well it's short and to the point,and gives very little away,so it's not that crap.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 57
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 15/9/2011 7:45:14 PM   
MovieAddict247

Se7en is a really good film, though I still don't understand why it's so highly rated. Both Pitt and Spacey are great in it and it looks great (the rainy, murky atmosphere is brilliant).

I loathe the final voice over though.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 58
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 15/9/2011 10:02:35 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Great choice Scottie. Now, I'm not really a fan of Fincher, Pitt and especially not Spacey but this film hits all the right marks. Gorgeously bleak, Industrial production design and Cinematography that owes more than a little to BLADE RUNNER.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 59
RE: Scotts Top 21 films! - 15/9/2011 11:23:57 PM   
paul_ie86

Se7en is well good.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Scotts Top 21 films! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI